Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Official Trump Presidency Thread: Michael Flynn down, who's next?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Official Trump Presidency Thread: Michael Flynn down, who's next?

Old 03-26-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: The Offical Trump Presidency Thread: Don Jr & Russians

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Trump is golfing again? What a shock. I wonder if those who support him think he deserves all of these vacations that also put money into his coffers. If I had voted for him, I'd be pissed. Especially since he chastised Obama many times for vacations on the taxpayer dollar.

And it wasn't like Obama was going to an Obama-owned property. Can you imagine the apoplectic fit that would have caused with his detractors?
Trump supporters don't give a crap. They'll give you a "but Obama" response. Besides Trump needs to relax on weekends so he can go to campaign rallies and watch Fox and Friends during the week.
Old 03-26-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

"We can trust this guy, he's a Republican" unless of course he's one of those turncoat conservative or moderate Republicans who didn't get behind Trumpcare, so yeah, maybe we can't trust him.

How can anyone take anything Trump says seriously. Anything. There's simply no way to trust anything Trump says.
Old 03-26-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Angela Merkel will reportedly ignore Donald Trump’s attempts to extricate £300bn from Germany for what he deems to be owed contributions to Nato.

The US President is said to have had an “invoice” printed out outlining the sum estimated by his aides as covering Germany’s unpaid contributions for defence.

Said to be presented during private talks in Washington, the move has been met with criticism from German and Nato officials.

While the figure presented to the Germans was not revealed by either side, Nato countries pledged in 2014 to spend two per cent of their GDP on defence, something only a handful of nations – including the UK, Greece, Poland and Estonia – currently do.

But the bill has been backdated even further to 2002, the year Mrs. Merkel’s predecessor, Gerhard Schröder, pledged to spend more on defence.

Mr Trump reportedly instructed aides to calculate how much German spending fell below two per cent over the past 12 years, then added interest.

Estimates suggest the total came to £300bn, with official figures citing the shortfall to be around £250bn plus £50bn in interest added on.

The Times quoted a German government minister as saying the move was “outrageous”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7650636.html
Old 03-26-17, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pool was told Trump was in meetings at Trump National this afternoon. This Instagram photo posted from the course says otherwise <a href="https://t.co/WMudqofGmO">pic.twitter.com/WMudqofGmO</a></p>&mdash; Josh Billinson (@jbillinson) <a href="https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/845732033305481216">March 25, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Feeble, out of shape POTUS, can barely make it up the stairs. SAD!
Old 03-26-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Trump supporters don't give a crap. They'll give you a "but Obama" response. Besides Trump needs to relax on weekends so he can go to campaign rallies and watch Fox and Friends during the week.
The trump supporters will either say those are NOT vacations, but Trump has secret meetings on weekend, since he works 7/24, and as for Obama, his vacation tabs costed more per vacation then all of Trumps combined.

to them, Trump is NEVER wrong. I reckon at this rate, if he personally came and took their land away, they will blame it on Obama. I have never seen anything like this, its almost like trump has them under his spell

Last edited by salamander2; 03-26-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They just can't admit they fell for his lies.
Old 03-26-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to Trump supporters, apologizing only validates the conspiracy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LgE2rbrqQoI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-26-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mapasu View Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LgE2rbrqQoI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Obviously that is an alien invader wearing an Alex Jones disguise...
Old 03-26-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mapasu View Post
Killary got to Alex Jones.

Or Jones' lawyers told Alex Jones that the pizza joint could sue him into oblivion.
Old 03-26-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
This is rich (pun can be used against me).

So, now you're implying that Americans are stupid---well I goofed up...ONLY ones that voted for Trump, right?---and the intellectual superiority class which comprises of Hillary Clinton, Obama, and John Kerry...and I'm assuming Joe Biden and Al Franken, Pelos, etc....are now in the minority.

That's one of the more insulting insinuations to voters I've ever read and at the same, gives politicians like the Clintons...a pass on their extreme and seriously flawed policies, actions, and behaviors.

Hillary Clinton I'll give a pass over the last several months as she has kept herself out of this mess of her peers that Pelosi, Franken, and Schumer have created, furthered, and fueled to make sure Americans are more polarized than ever. For such an alleged party of acceptance and intellectualism...I see more daycare center ideology than adult interactions.

But to sit there in your intellectual chair and call half of Americans stupid only because they voted for Trump, is one of the most ironic and hypocritical things I've ever read. As if we don't have some intellectual minds supporting Trump? As if we did NOT have stupidity on behalf of non-Trump supporters?

Sorry, I'm not going down your road of thought. I think there are idiots on both sides of the aisle.

Critical thinking and science have left the room because it's people like you who have been having your "arguments" in a room filled with your own ilk, as well as ostracizing anyone who didn't think like you.

People voted for Trump because they saw nothing changing with Obama. They saw Democrats AND Republicans engaging in tactics that kept established corruption...in office.

Trump was the only viable option. Hillary had too much baggage, and was the fairy grandmother of many of Obama's failed policies (while some were not so terrible, I will admit, however the largest sweeping policies...fell flat on their face and has cost Americans a lot of cash).

To simply draw a line between Republicans and Democrats, and say one party is "smarter" than the other...is indicative of the past.
Read my post again. You're so hung up on Clinton's "basket of deplorables" insult that you're seeing that insult everywhere. Get over it.

In fact, only yesterday I posted that Bill Maher was out of line when he called Republican voters stupid. You're so wedded to that insult that you're attributing that insult to people of whom the exact opposite is true.

No, my post is talking about the intellectual capacity of the presidential candidates raised by the different parties. In the last fifty years, the smart Republican presidents have been Nixon and Bush 41. That's the whole list.

Meanwhile, all the Democratic presidential candidates since 1988 have been wicked smart, intellectually quick, and well-read. I think those are admirable characteristics. Why does the national Republican party think those characteristics are faults instead of virtues?
Old 03-26-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Independent via EinCB View Post
Quote:
Angela Merkel will reportedly ignore Donald Trump’s attempts to extricate £300bn from Germany for what he deems to be owed contributions to Nato.

The US President is said to have had an “invoice” printed out outlining the sum estimated by his aides as covering Germany’s unpaid contributions for defence.

Said to be presented during private talks in Washington, the move has been met with criticism from German and Nato officials.

While the figure presented to the Germans was not revealed by either side, Nato countries pledged in 2014 to spend two per cent of their GDP on defence, something only a handful of nations – including the UK, Greece, Poland and Estonia – currently do.

But the bill has been backdated even further to 2002, the year Mrs. Merkel’s predecessor, Gerhard Schröder, pledged to spend more on defence.

Mr Trump reportedly instructed aides to calculate how much German spending fell below two per cent over the past 12 years, then added interest.

Estimates suggest the total came to £300bn, with official figures citing the shortfall to be around £250bn plus £50bn in interest added on.

The Times quoted a German government minister as saying the move was “outrageous”.
So maybe Trump is doing this to help break-up or do damage to Nato which benefits Putin?
Old 03-26-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Coincidence? It looks like Trump allies may be trying to get ahead of an imminent story/event.
Wait a minute...

I thought Russia and the US were allies, teaming up to take out ISIS, N. Korea and China??
Old 03-26-17, 07:34 PM

But all of this is a conspiracy, right? A witch hunt? There's no evidence so no big deal that they're doing this, right?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...ml#commentsDiv
Except your link and article provide zero evidence, not even attributing the allegation. It is incredibly shoddy reporting, and it appears another one of those circular "reports" that much of today's media ascribes to.

Last edited by Pharoh; 03-26-17 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
So maybe Trump is doing this to help break-up or do damage to Nato which benefits Putin?
Or just maybe trump is an ignorant stupid idiot who believes only in his narrow reality?

Two things have always bothered me about this whole trump Russia fiasco. One, what is in it for trump? He couldn't do anything for putin and Russia if was not elected, and he doesn't need either of them if he became the POTUS. Even the Rosneft sale doesn't provide enough reward for the risk, especially given how much money the trumps can now make in safer ways.

Secondly, putin is an evil thuggish dictator, but he really is incompetent. He isn't a bright person, let alone a conniving mastermind. Russia also is really bad at most things. Their intel forces are incredibly overrated, being extremely error prone and heavy handed. They, Russia and putin, simply don't have the ability or capability to pull off this supposed conspiracy.
Old 03-26-17, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The difference is that Democrats made sustained efforts to work across the aisle on healthcare reform. Republicans figured "We have a majority, let's just ram something through in three or four weeks and fuck the Democrats."
Curious, is that similar as to how the Obama administration "negotiated" the status of forces agreement?
Old 03-26-17, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Except your link and article provide zero evidence, not even attributing the allegation. It is incredibly shoddy reporting, and it appears another one of those circular "reports" that much of today's media ascribes to.
Point taken. I'll delete the post.
Old 03-26-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Curious, is that similar as to how the Obama administration "negotiated" the status of forces agreement?
What does that even mean?

As for your "what's in it for Trump," if -- as is suspected -- he owes lots of money to Russian oligarchs, then Putin has him by the balls. And he benefits from a resurgent Russia.

And no, Putin is not an unmatched genius mastermind, but Russian intelligence has its strengths.
Old 03-26-17, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Meanwhile, all the Democratic presidential candidates since 1988 have been wicked smart, intellectually quick, and well-read. I think those are admirable characteristics. Why does the national Republican party think those characteristics are faults instead of virtues?
I remember how Bush 2 was considered a low intelligence idiot when running against super IQ candidates like Gore and Kerry. Unfortunately it came out that Bush did better in college than both of his opponents. Yeah, people want to believe what they want, truth be damned.
Old 03-26-17, 08:33 PM

What does that even mean?
I thought it was obvious, but my apologies.

You seem to have forgotten, but years ago we had multiple conversations on the negotiations conducted by the Obama administration with regards to the status of forces agreement in Iraq and the continued presence of US troops there. I say, seem to have forgotten, because I noticed that a couple of times recently you have pointed to those negotiations, and the sincerity and earnestness of their efforts, as completely factual. I maintain, as attested to by many of the principles involved, they were negotiations for show, nothing more.

I am therefore attributing the same type of earnestness and sincerity to the negotiations involving the ACA and Republicans. Negotiations for optics really aren't much better, if at all, than no negotiations at all.

As for your "what's in it for Trump," if -- as is suspected -- he owes lots of money to Russian oligarchs, then Putin has him by the balls. And he benefits from a resurgent Russia.

And no, Putin is not an unmatched genius mastermind, but Russian intelligence has its strengths.
I disagree. Even if trump owes lots of money to them, and that is a big unproven if, nobody has him by the balls now. He is the god damn President of the United States. They can't touch him. And he can use his office to make far more money than what he could possibly owe them if it only about money.

And yes Russian intelligence has some strengths, mainly beating down opponents and killing dissenters in very apparent ways. They screw up just about everything else though. They aren't very good.
Old 03-26-17, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The US President is said to have had an “invoice” printed out outlining the sum estimated by his aides as covering Germany’s unpaid contributions for defense.
If I were Merkel, I would've crumpled up that "invoice" and thrown it at Donnie's head. What a cocksucker!
Old 03-26-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now Trump claims he wasn't advocating the demotion of Ryan, and he was just promoting the Fox show, which just happened to lead with the opinion about Ryan. So either he's lying, or he's wasting his time promoting Fox shows.

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I remember how Bush 2 was considered a low intelligence idiot when running against super IQ candidates like Gore and Kerry. Unfortunately it came out that Bush did better in college than both of his opponents. Yeah, people want to believe what they want, truth be damned.
Meaning what, he had higher grades? I can think of a lot of reasons for that, and I don't believe for a second that Bush was smarter than either of those guys.
Old 03-26-17, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Meaning what, he had higher grades? I can think of a lot of reasons for that, and I don't believe for a second that Bush was smarter than either of those guys.
I've never believed the narrative that Bush 43 was some kind of dummy. He kept outmaneuvering the Democrats, and the Democrats kept treating it as if he had just gotten lucky. The secondary narrative is that he was dumb, but he just had good advisors. A dummy doesn't pick a group of good advisers, nor does a dummy listen to them.

So I could accept that he was another super smart guy. But if he was, the Republicans certainly kept it under wraps.
Old 03-26-17, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was obvious, but my apologies.

You seem to have forgotten, but years ago we had multiple conversations on the negotiations conducted by the Obama administration with regards to the status of forces agreement in Iraq and the continued presence of US troops there. I say, seem to have forgotten, because I noticed that a couple of times recently you have pointed to those negotiations, and the sincerity and earnestness of their efforts, as completely factual. I maintain, as attested to by many of the principles involved, they were negotiations for show, nothing more.

I am therefore attributing the same type of earnestness and sincerity to the negotiations involving the ACA and Republicans. Negotiations for optics really aren't much better, if at all, than no negotiations at all.
Ok, I figured you were referring to the Iraq SOFA but I wasn't sure what you were implying.

With respect to Iraq, the original SOFA was negotiated by Bush and the Iraqis refused to budge on certain things that are non-negotiable for us (primarily jurisdiction over U.S. service members). I'm still not sure why you think Obama could have done better.

With respect to ACA, you're writing off the 30+ meetings that the Senate Finance Committee had in the summer of 2009, as well as the repeated attempts to lobby the Senators from Maine?

I disagree. Even if trump owes lots of money to them, and that is a big unproven if, nobody has him by the balls now. He is the god damn President of the United States. They can't touch him. And he can use his office to make far more money than what he could possibly owe them if it only about money.

And yes Russian intelligence has some strengths, mainly beating down opponents and killing dissenters in very apparent ways. They screw up just about everything else though. They aren't very good.
They can certainly touch Trump. There are things he cares about -- primarily his reputation as a successful business man. And, if we want to go there, his kids. As you say, the Russian intelligence apparatus is good at killing.

And you're assuming Trump was (would have been) able to get to the White House without Russian help. If Putin put him there, Trump is likely perfectly willing to further Putin's interest as long as Trump can simultaneously further his own.
Old 03-26-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I've never believed the narrative that Bush 43 was some kind of dummy. He kept outmaneuvering the Democrats, and the Democrats kept treating it as if he had just gotten lucky. The secondary narrative is that he was dumb, but he just had good advisors. A dummy doesn't pick a group of good advisers, nor does a dummy listen to them.

So I could accept that he was another super smart guy. But if he was, the Republicans certainly kept it under wraps.
So he wasn't dumb, just "folksy"? The advisor thing is definitely something he did better than Trump.
Old 03-26-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Compared to Trump, Bush II is Einstein, but I would be gobsmacked if it were somehow proven he is smarter than either Gore or Kerry. He sure seemed not very bright, and I don't think it was an act to appeal to the rubes who relate to Trump's frightful inarticulateness.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.