Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

What is Trump going to do for you?

Old 01-14-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is Trump going to do for you?

Serious discussion. I want to hear the various views of board members and what Trump will:

1. Actually do as President
2. How that will impact your life in a better way.

No insults are to be thrown in this thread.
Old 01-14-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What is Trump going to do for you?

Juggled things around from my OP:

1. Separation of Powers

What he'll do: I expect Trump will nominate a Constructionist to fill the Scalia vacancy on SCOTUS, putting an end to any notion that the Judicial Branch is tasked to create laws. I expect Trump will rescind/revoke/countermand as many of Obama's Executive Orders as possible, and will work with Congress to limit the Executive Branch's ability in the future to create law.

How I benefit: All of us benefit from a less fuzzy demarcation of power. The Constitution reserves the ability to create law to the elected representatives of Congress... we need to get back to that and off the slippery slope we've been on for a while now.

2. Size of Government

What he'll do: I expect Trump will reduce the size of Government by instituting a Federal hiring freeze, relying on attrition to remove from the public rolls the HUGE number of Federal Employees that we currently have. Like in freezes of the past, for every 2 or 3 employees who retire one new young employee will be brought in. Not only does that reduce the # of folks and replace one lower-earning worker for multiple higher-earning workers, but it also ensures that the worker pool doesn't become top-heavy years from now due to there being no 20-somethings hired now.

How I benefit: I can take an early retirement from the Navy in a little over 2 years. If there's a hiring freeze and they offer incentive for folks like me who are on the fence, I'd gladly consider leaving as soon as the door is open.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 01-14-17 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-14-17, 02:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

How I benefit: Ken gets to retire earlier and has more time to spend working in the sports subforum.
Old 01-14-17, 03:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

How can anyone answer this question at this point? Could anyone answer this a week before Obama took office 8 years ago???

I'm hoping that, along with a like-minded House and Senate, Trump can secure borders - yes, a wall, promote American industry, strengthen our military, improve relations with Israel, defeat/weaken Islamic terrorism, improve the American Healthcare system because while ObamaCare is a nice concept it fails miserably, play nice with Russia (AND China), and improve infrastructure. I would also not like to see a step-back in gay or women's rights. I am likely not going to get all of these things, because if I did then Trump would go down as the best President we've ever had, and even I am not that naive. I simply feel that America needs some "me time", and has to invest and strengthen itself again. You can't fix the World's problems when you haven't fixed your own.
Old 01-14-17, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only positive thing I can think of is gambling and various legal adult entertainment will remain legal in Nevada. That's it. Now, I have to find a way to continue in this life (as of January 20th) without doubling or tripling my antidepressant.

Last edited by PatD; 01-14-17 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-14-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As long as he doesn't fuck up foreign relations too much and doesn't forcibly remove Net Neutrality, nothing.

But the potential for him to be a massive fuck up is yuge. I don't see insurance prices going down substantially now that they've established a new high that people will pay, I also think public schools and infrastructure will be negatively affected by his administration.
Old 01-14-17, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

short of resigning?
Old 01-14-17, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I cannot think of a single benefit to me and my family of a Trump presidency.
Old 01-14-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I do hope he is able to create a significant number more living wage jobs, manufacturing, what have you.
Old 01-14-17, 09:17 PM

Get rid of that Obamacare boondoggle which completely screwed up my healthcare coverage. Burn it to the ground and salt the earth.

I had to switch doctors once. I had to switch providers 3 times. I had to switch plans 4 times. And I'm paying about 50% more for a much higher deductible and less coverage. It just gets worse and worse every year.
Old 01-14-17, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing, I've got my own life to run. Only concern would have been a draft, but I'm past the age.
Old 01-14-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My taxes will probably be slightly lower, but I will hardly notice. And I would gladly pay more taxes for universal health care, free/low-cost public college education, and other things that have a net benefit for society.
Old 01-14-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

It'll effect my life the same as W and Obama....zero.
Old 01-14-17, 10:48 PM
Admin-Thanos

My taxes will be lower a bit. I think I might see a few road projects get started. I'm a white, heterosexual male in the upper middle class with health insurance from my employer. I will be fine under a Trump administration. I'm very concerned about a lot of non white/heterosexual/non males though. I'm concerned about how poor people will fair under this administration.
Old 01-14-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the reduced size in government means lower taxes for us, then I am for it. However, if the government forces us to pay the same amount of taxes or more just to increase our nuclear potential, I am not for it at all. I really don't think we need to strengthen our military. We already spend billions on our military and armaments and it doesn't do much to propel us forward here at home. If we are going to start securing our borders by building walls, we need to start with a wall between the United States and Canada. Realistically, there just needs to be more checks on those that overstay their visas, as that is where the majority of those with illegal status come from and not this imaginary stampede of people that come across the border to the south. I would also like to see a shift towards the states being able to decide more of how they want to live and the government doing more to build our country's infrastructure while protecting citizens from corporations being abusive. Yes, I am starting with net neutrality and saying that it needs to stay put.

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
My taxes will probably be slightly lower, but I will hardly notice. And I would gladly pay more taxes for universal health care, free/low-cost public college education, and other things that have a net benefit for society.
I agree with you all on points here. I still don't understand why some people want to do away with helping to provide higher education for people that want it. It will help strengthen our country. Also, there have been protections from loan companies charging exorbitant amounts of interest on student that are guaranteed by the government and some want to do away with that.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 01-14-17 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been waiting for about 8 years so maybe I will finally get the free phone Obama promised? If President Trump could just make that happen he's the best president ever!
Old 01-15-17, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
I've been waiting for about 8 years so maybe I will finally get the free phone Obama promised?
FYI, Obama phones are real. A buddy of mine has one. You just have to get it from the right place. Similar to how getting welfare is kind of a hassle, so is getting an Obama phone.
Old 01-15-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Like Clinton, Bush and Obama. Not nearly as bad as the naysayers claim, not nearly as good as the proponents say.
Old 01-15-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Like Clinton, Bush and Obama. Not nearly as bad as the naysayers claim, not nearly as good as the proponents say.
Precisely.
Old 01-15-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's off to a good start on making me feel a little better about some of my freakiest perversions.
Old 01-15-17, 10:27 AM

If he follows through with his campaign promises, I suppose I'll have lower taxes; but I'm not sure how that's possible with all the other things he wants to do.

But with this election, as with others, I didn't vote with what was best for me, I voted for what's best for the country as a whole.
Old 01-15-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since I don't have kids, I won't even have lower taxes -- at least, not based on the last time I used a calculator to look at his tax plan. In reality, I'm sure he'll just rubber stamp whatever tax plan Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell come up with.
Old 01-15-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Not under the ACA or don't have a chronic illness?
Old 01-15-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will surely lose my healthcare. And since I have kidney disease, and work for myself, I probably won't be able to afford healthcare again for a long time.

Hopefully California steps up to the plate and comes up with their own replacement for Obamacare (I thought I read that was their plan if it got revoked).
Old 01-15-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Not under the ACA or don't have a chronic illness?
According to most polls, 48% disapprove or think they are worse off with Obamacare, 46% believe they are better off, the balance had no opinion or believe there was no change. So like every debate on this board for every change 50% will think it's good, 50% will think it's bad.

In my case, little has changed. I'm on my wife's insurance through the teachers union so ours is pretty good. The only negative, every raise she gets goes to pay for higher premiums. We liked having the kids on the plan to 26.

My Sister-in-law and her husband are an example of those that are worse off because of the huge deductibles. He had to have both hernia surgery and shoulder surgery in the month of December because the deductibles. Had he waited until January for one of them he would have started all over and his deductible is something like $8000 a year.

I had a friend who got laid off. Since his income was $400 week with a family to support, he got health care for several months fully subsidized. He was happy to find that out.

Since he was getting no support or votes from the Republicans anyway. He controlled the House and Senate, he should have just pushed for single payer. Hopefully it would be run better than the VA. I think the "same plan, same Dr., save $2500 year" promise he made hurt his legacy on the ACA.

No matter what Trump does you can be sure that 50% will like it and 50% will not.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.