Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: rate Obama
0- not legitimate president (birther)
1.79%
1- worst ever
4.46%
13.39%
8.93%
6.25%
5 average
9.82%
7.14%
16.07%
17.86%
9.82%
10- best ever
4.46%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

rate Obama's presidency

Old 01-14-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

rate Obama's presidency

9- in spite of the do nothing congress doing everything to block his every move and right wingers slinging fake mud at him he showed what a true leader looks like
America is better because of him
Old 01-14-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: rate Obama's presidency

I honestly think most people have no idea of the magnitude of the absolute mess he inherited, and to be where we are today compared to 8 years ago shows his true mark.

When you also consider the unprecedented opposition he faced from the GOP, it's a wonder he got anything done at all.

Mistakes aside, you also have to consider having zero scandals, or at least less scandals than any 2-term president - look it up, almost every 2-term president had a much worse 2nd term than first - Obama's the only one with a better 2nd term.
Old 01-14-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have a clear number but I know it's around 5. That's way better than the moron who was in there for the previous 8 years.

Last edited by inri222; 01-14-17 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-14-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

4 - I didn't give him any points for good character. Even though I like many things he has done the bad things makes him a terrible president. He did much better than Bush one or two. He was also the best choice at the time.
Old 01-14-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd put him slightly ahead of Millard Fillmore -- generally competent, but missed the big crises that loomed over the country.
Old 01-14-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obama continued foreign and domestic policies that I believe will screw us 10-15 years from now. Because of that I find it hard to give him anything higher than a 3. He's the most eloquent, likable 3 possible but he's still a 3 to me. Would gladly take him over the -94 we're about to get.
Old 01-14-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
Obama continued foreign and domestic policies that I believe will screw us 10-15 years from now. Because of that I find it hard to give him anything higher than a 3. He's the most eloquent, likable 3 possible but he's still a 3 to me. Would gladly take him over the -94 we're about to get.
Interesting but valued point you make. This reflects his somewhat high approval rating...but yet his direction rating is atrocious.
Old 01-14-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My biggest disappointment is that our military is still engaged in wars. Fifteen years now of significant conflict. I'd fault radical Islam. Obama has done his best to downplay our involvements (less "shock and awe"). In my fantasy, we all jump ship and wish them the best of luck. But I know - the safer the world is the safer the USA. I get the basic idea.

Obamacare was noble with intentions, but ultimately we might have been better simply expanding Medicaid (to include more middle class incomes) instead of forcing rules on insurance companies which caused the premium inflation.

Other than that, I thought he made us look good. He has humility and grace. He (unlike Trump) seems to understand that all the decisions you make have unknown consequence and outcomes. There are no definites. Some things work and some things don't. The more certainty you have, the bigger the fool you are.
Old 01-14-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

I give him credit for:

Supporting gay marriage (although he didn't "flip" until the polls flipped).
Loosening up a bit on the war on drugs.
Changing Cuba policy (although not the latest thing he did).
Pushing for TPP, against many in his own party.
Ending waterboarding.
Killing Bin Laden.

All I can think of for now. If I think of anything else I'll add them.
Old 01-14-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a conservative I disagree with many of his policies but truly appreciate the way President Obama has consistently offered the nation the image of a devoted husband and loving father.

Old 01-14-17, 03:53 PM
Banned by request

Average. He faced a lot of obstruction from Ccongress that prevented him from carrying out his full agenda, but also continued harmful Bush policies while adding some new ones of his own. His best success may actually have been having Tom Wheeler head the FCC, which I never expected to be a positive.
Old 01-14-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I give him a solid 10 on being presidential, dignified, classy and being a straight arrow. I haven't had a POTUS in my lifetime since Carter that I can say, "that's a good guy".

As for his performance *as* a POTUS, I can't quantify it with a number. George W. Bush lowered the bar so much that I'm simply grateful that there's been no 9/11 or stock market crash on his watch. I don't know how his foreign policy will play out in the long run. But, I'm glad he did some push back on the war on drugs; I'm extraordinarily pleased that he gave the LGBTQ community a place at the table; and I'm extremely glad that he opened the door and created a wedge towards universal healthcare in this country.

It's a national disgrace that he's been treated like this for the last 8 years, however.

But, the parallels between Sheriff Bart and Jim and Obama and Biden are beyond striking:

Old 01-17-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1. For being the first Black President...10 But seriously, it was important for Blacks and the world to see this.

2. For being the first Black President... 2 I'm not sure he really looked after the needs of Blacks. He took care of the LGBT folks(Gay Marriage), he took care of Hispanics (Dream Act). When Sandy Hook happened he ran down and had a little crying White Girl on his lap...But where was/is he while Chicago is being shot up and Black lives in his own town are being snuffed out?? Considering the overwhelming support Blacks gave him, it seemed he put Blacks at the end of the line when it was time to take care of folks. I guess he was making sure he was not perceived as showing favoritism? But I ask Blacks who voted for him and say things like "We can't expect anything from him with all that's against him"...what race/culture votes for a candidate and DOESN'T expect anything for their support? i.e. Asians don't vote for Asian candidates and NOT expect Asian needs will be met...

3. For being the first Black President pt II....10 Seeing him and Michelle be so fabulous was awesome. Seeing them with children was awesome. It means a lot in the Black Community. It also showed the world Blacks aren't all Single Moms and absent Fathers. I don't always agree with him, but I'd sit and hang out with him and Michelle any day. They seem legit good people.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-17-17 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He deserves an incredible amount of credit for the way he's carried himself and the lack of scandal that his administration had. That being said, his administration divided the country greater than ever before. And from a policy effectiveness standpoint he's the least effective in modern history. So much of his tenure is based around data manipulation (job #'s, media analytics, etc) its hard to accurately gauge his job performance. Historians will likely have him in the same class as Bush Dos, Johnson, Nixon & Ford.
Old 01-17-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
I give him credit for:

Supporting gay marriage (although he didn't "flip" until the polls flipped).
Loosening up a bit on the war on drugs.
Changing Cuba policy (although not the latest thing he did).
Pushing for TPP, against many in his own party.
Ending waterboarding.
Killing Bin Laden.

All I can think of for now. If I think of anything else I'll add them.
All this. Plus paying more attention to China and less to the desert dictatorships.
Old 01-17-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Average. He faced a lot of obstruction from Ccongress that prevented him from carrying out his full agenda, but also continued harmful Bush policies while adding some new ones of his own.
Kind of my thoughts as well. I gave him a 7 but I think he squandered many opportunities. He was so damn measured in every response, every action, and it felt like he never really stuck his neck out and fought for what was right.
Old 01-17-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
1. For being the first Black President...10 But seriously, it was important for Blacks and the world to see this.

2. For being the first Black President... 2 I'm not sure he really looked after the needs of Blacks. He took care of the LGBT folks(Gay Marriage), he took care of Hispanics (Dream Act). When Sandy Hook happened he ran down and had a little crying White Girl on his lap...But where was/is he while Chicago is being shot up and Black lives in his own town are being snuffed out?? Considering the overwhelming support Blacks gave him, it seemed he put Blacks at the end of the line when it was time to take care of folks. I guess he was making sure he was not perceived as showing favoritism? But I ask Blacks who voted for him and say things like "We can't expect anything from him with all that's against him"...what race/culture votes for a candidate and DOESN'T expect anything for their support? i.e. Asians don't vote for Asian candidates and NOT expect Asian needs will be met...

3. For being the first Black President pt II....10 Seeing him and Michelle be so fabulous was awesome. Seeing them with children was awesome. It means a lot in the Black Community. It also showed the world Blacks aren't all Single Moms and absent Fathers. I don't always agree with him, but I'd sit and hang out with him and Michelle any day. They seem legit good people.
good analysis. And your #3 is probably why I pushed him up a bit on the scale.
Old 01-17-17, 01:59 PM

I give him a 6/10, mainly for the way he and his family conducted themselves. I've liked some of his policies and disliked others, but I fear that his ME policy ended up leaving a power vacuum filled by chaos and IS.
Old 01-17-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Average. He faced a lot of obstruction from Ccongress that prevented him from carrying out his full agenda, but also continued harmful Bush policies while adding some new ones of his own. His best success may actually have been having Tom Wheeler head the FCC, which I never expected to be a positive.
I wish Wheeler would run for President. He was a great head of the FCC, and it's pretty disgusting what is happening right now.
Old 01-17-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Obama just commuted Chelsea Manning's sentence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-com...213937692.html

Works for me. That's a big fuck you to the right backwards leaning folks.
Old 01-17-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
...ME policy ended up leaving a power vacuum filled by chaos and IS.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's "ME"?
Old 01-17-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what's "ME"?
Middle East.

Given the facts on the ground when Obama took office, I'm not sure what he could have done to prevent the rise of IS. That said, wendersfan is smart and thoughtful about this kind of stuff, so he's probably seeing possibilities I don't.
Old 01-17-17, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think he did a good job considering he inherited a country with trillions of dollars in debt, high unemployment and very low morale.

8 years wasn't enough time to fix the mess that Bush left.
Old 01-17-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ah, thank you, Jason.

In regards to President Obama, I suppose he was average. I'm very happy that his administration was largely scandal free, but there are some major problems in this country. Sure, the unemployment rate went down, but how much of that was because people stopped looking for jobs? How many jobs has this country gained that went to the STEM fields, and not the low wage, retail-like jobs?

He withdrew troops from Afghanistan and Iraq, but still has troops in Yemen, Libya, and another country I'm forgetting. He stayed away from wars.

There's still the racial divide, the income inequality gap, the rising costs of college tuition and health care, the failing drug war.

Of course, if anyone wants to correct me on this, feel free to. President Obama is a lot classier and more intelligent than our upcoming president, and I learned a lot from the former. He was far from perfect, but I would gladly vote him for a third term if it wasn't for the 22nd amendment.
Old 01-17-17, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I gave him a 4.. Not because I didn't like him. I actually like him quite a bit as a person. He seems very genuine and a nice guy. Seems like the kind of neighbor who if needed anything he'd be happy to help.

As far as president goes.. He'll be a footnote in history as the first black president and that's about it. Obamacare was/is a disaster, his foreign policies are a disaster, the country is more divided than ever, his, his party was voted out of power, etc.. ... He was just kind of there but didn't really substantiate any sort of meaningful change. This wasn't exactly a "scandal free" administration .. but the media was in his pocket the whole time and they drive what is and isn't a scandal in this country. There were a number of things that they could have blown up much bigger.. But honestly I sort of liked it this way. There was enough crap going on without blowing things up for ratings. (I'm sure that will end now with Trump being Trump and him being a Republican. I'm not sure which the media hates more.)

Having said all of that.. I'd take a 4 over what rating I think we're going to wind up with. Had it been either Hillary of Trump.. I'm expecting a low number but hoping for a high one.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.