Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

What changes are needed in the Democratic Party?

Old 11-16-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What changes are needed in the Democratic Party?

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FNowThisPolitics%2Fvideos%2F444261886099625%2F&show_t ext=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
Old 11-16-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I admire that man's passion and convictions. I'm just not sure why he's yelling at Pelosi. She wants to take 5 steps forward and he thinks she should take 10 steps forward, but meanwhile, Mitch McConnell wants to take 20 steps backward. Go yell at Mitch for a while. It reminds me of the old joke about the drunk looking around under a streetlight. A cop wanders by and asks him what's going on, so the drunk says "I'm looking for my keys." The cop asks "Did you lose them here?" and the drunk replies "No, I lost them a block and a half down the street, but the light is much better here."

Yelling at Pelosi is a lot easier than yelling at McConnell, because Pelosi will actually engage in dialogue. But you ain't never going to find your keys unless you put pressure on McConnell.
Old 12-14-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Very interesting...

Old 12-14-18, 10:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Very interesting...
A little more personal commentary would be nice here... it's 20+ minutes. I'm not adverse to watching it (though I'm not a big fan of TYT in general), but... what do the actually talk about here?
Old 12-14-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
A little more personal commentary would be nice here... it's 20+ minutes. I'm not adverse to watching it (though I'm not a big fan of TYT in general), but... what do the actually talk about here?
They interview Kyle Kulinski from Secular Talk. He suggests that in order for the Dems to succeed they need to not only be more aggressive, but also use 45's catch phrases and empty promises against him.
Old 12-17-18, 04:14 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FNowThisPolitics%2Fvideos%2F444261886099625%2F&show_t ext=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

His account of learning about the Holocaust is very moving.

Manmade global warming climate change is real, but it's not as bad as he seems to think it is. Sea level has only risen between 4 and 8 inches in the last 100 years. Climate refugees don't have to come to the U.S. - they would, at worst, have to move a bit inland within their own countries. Or they could try something like this.

Last edited by grundle; 12-17-18 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 04:17 PM
Political Exile

In the first half of this video, Van Jones advises Democrats to stop being condescending to the people who live in flyover country.

In the second half, he advises Republicans to stop ignoring the Muslims who agree with Republicans on marital and entrepreneurial issues, as well as blacks who go to church.

Old 12-31-18, 07:36 PM
Political Exile

I predict that the first Democratic contender for the presidency who publicly criticizes this person will be elected President in 2020.

A lot of the swing voters who voted for Trump in 2016 did so because they are sick of political correctness such as the kind that is in this video. A Democratic candidate could get a lot of those votes in 2020 simply by being the first Democrat to come out and criticize this guy.

This video from Atlanta, Georgia, shows a vape store employee assaulting a customer at 0:36

Video NSFW due to profanity.

Image spoilerized for size:

Spoiler:

Old 12-31-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I predict that the first Democratic contender for the presidency who publicly criticizes this person will be elected President in 2020.

A lot of the swing voters who voted for Trump in 2016 did so because they are sick of political correctness such as the kind that is in this video. A Democratic candidate could get a lot of those votes in 2020 simply by being the first Democrat to come out and criticize this guy.

This video from Atlanta, Georgia, shows a vape store employee assaulting a customer at 0:36

Video NSFW due to profanity.

Image spoilerized for size:

Spoiler:

Tell me, will Trump be a lock for 2020 if he openly, VOLUNTARILY condemns white supremacists and various other bigots who abuse others? Why do Dems have to speak out against "PC run amok" and be as anodyne as possible while Repubs let it all hang out and embrace bigots and abusers?
Old 12-31-18, 10:20 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Tell me, will Trump be a lock for 2020 if he openly, VOLUNTARILY condemns white supremacists and various other bigots who abuse others? Why do Dems have to speak out against "PC run amok" and be as anodyne as possible while Repubs let it all hang out and embrace bigots and abusers?

I don't know the answer to your question.

But this thread is called "What changes are needed in the Democratic Party?"

I was just trying to offer some advice, in accordance with the title of the thread.
Old 12-31-18, 11:19 PM

The Vape Shop guy was being a dick, but nobody’s going to remember this story in 2020, let alone it being a presidential campaign issue.
Old 01-01-19, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I don't know the answer to your question.

But this thread is called "What changes are needed in the Democratic Party?"

I was just trying to offer some advice, in accordance with the title of the thread.
I meant it as a general question. I didn't mean to put you on the spot.
Old 01-01-19, 07:13 AM
Political Exile

Tell me, will Trump be a lock for 2020 if he openly, VOLUNTARILY condemns white supremacists and various other bigots who abuse others?
I would guess that you bolded voluntarily to give yourself an out, that whenever he speaks out against hate groups, that he has been coerced?

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/polit...ers/index.html
Old 01-01-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The Vape Shop guy was being a dick, but nobody’s going to remember this story in 2020, let alone it being a presidential campaign issue.
How do we know that it wasn't staged and that the vape shop clerk wasn't in on it? Does the person who posted the video here have a reputation for discerning truth from error? That has to factor into it as well.
Old 01-01-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This. The video only has 91k views and there's no way the vast majority of Americans are even aware it exists. Beyond that, it has no staying power. It's a tiny blip for those who have seen it. Someone claiming it'll have an impact in 2020 is like watching an alien make predictions for our election after first encountering our world via spending a couple hours on YouTube.

Additionally, the poster in question claimed this is political correctness. I've yet to encounter a definition of that term that means 'this person was vocally a dick to someone for supporting a politician.' Political correctness, snow flake, fake news, social justice warrior, blah blah blah. The right has stripped these terms of meaning to such a degree that the only discernible intent of those who speak them is 'man, fuck them liberals.'

Lastly, kudos to Groucho for posting without quoting the post he was responding to. It was clear what he was addressing, but he avoided plastering more stupid on the forum for those of us who have tried to block some of it. It would be nice if more people would follow his lead, especially when dealing with individuals who have clearly been blocked by many for their patterns of disingenuously spewing misinformation or misrepresentations for their own personal satisfaction.
Old 01-02-19, 04:58 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
This. The video only has 91k views and there's no way the vast majority of Americans are even aware it exists. Beyond that, it has no staying power. It's a tiny blip for those who have seen it. Someone claiming it'll have an impact in 2020 is like watching an alien make predictions for our election after first encountering our world via spending a couple hours on YouTube.

Additionally, the poster in question claimed this is political correctness. I've yet to encounter a definition of that term that means 'this person was vocally a dick to someone for supporting a politician.' Political correctness, snow flake, fake news, social justice warrior, blah blah blah. The right has stripped these terms of meaning to such a degree that the only discernible intent of those who speak them is 'man, fuck them liberals.'

Lastly, kudos to Groucho for posting without quoting the post he was responding to. It was clear what he was addressing, but he avoided plastering more stupid on the forum for those of us who have tried to block some of it. It would be nice if more people would follow his lead, especially when dealing with individuals who have clearly been blocked by many for their patterns of disingenuously spewing misinformation or misrepresentations for their own personal satisfaction.

But there's also a huge number of other videos of it too, many with much larger view counts:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...hale+vape+shop
Old 01-02-19, 05:06 PM
Political Exile

I meant it as a general question. I didn't mean to put you on the spot.

But Trump already wont the 2016 election.

And Obama didn't need to say anything about his relationships with Bill Ayers, Louis Farrakhan. or Jeramiah Wright in order to win the 2008 election.

I'm talking about how a relatively unknown politician could attract a lot of support form swing voters simply by coming out and publicly criticizing the guy in the vape shop.

This certainly didn't stop Obama from winning the election:

Spoiler:

Obama held a fundraiser in the living room of terrorist bomber and communist Bill Ayers.

In 1969, a guy named Bill Ayers co-founded a terrorist organization called Weather Underground, whose founding document called for “world communism.”

In 1969, Ayers set off a bomb in Chicago at a statue that was dedicated to the city’s police. At the time of the explosion, no one was close enough to the statue to be killed. However, the explosion was so powerful that it broke almost 100 windows.

On March 6, 1970, three members of Weather Underground, including Diana Oughton (Ayers’s girlfriend) and Terry Robbins (Ayers’s close friend), were killed when they accidentally, prematurely set off a bomb which they were in the process of building, in their townhouse in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City. The explosion was so powerful that it destroyed the entire four-story townhouse.

In 1970, Ayers bombed the headquarters of the New York City Police Department.

In 1971, Ayers bombed the United States Capitol building.

In 1972, Ayers bombed the Pentagon.

Although charges were filed against Ayers for these bombings, the charges were later dropped because law enforcement agents had conducted wiretaps and property searches without warrants.

In 1995, when Obama was running for state senator in Illinois, Obama held a fundraiser in the living room of Bill Ayers’s home.

Now can you imagine the huge amount of media outrage if Trump had done the exact same thing, with the only difference being that the terrorist bomber had been a Nazi instead of a communist?
Old 01-02-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I would guess that you bolded voluntarily to give yourself an out, that whenever he speaks out against hate groups, that he has been coerced?

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/polit...ers/index.html
After blaming the violence "on many sides" Saturday, Trump stayed silent for close to 48 hours, letting his trademark bluntness and campaign pledges to call terrorism what it is succumb to silence and vagueness...

...But by Monday morning, after nearly 48 hours of pressure on the White House, Trump and his top aides seemingly realized that pressure was too great and that a statement needed to be delivered.

Old 01-08-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cortez now lashing out at the Washington Post and Politifact for treating her "unfairly". Hey lady, welcome to politics!

Also, sounds very familiar, doesn't it. I mean, Trump was accusing the same news sources as treating him unfair back in his campaign days (probably still does).

In any case, I somewhat agree with her. She mentions how Politifact basically chooses their "lies" and distorts the perception. I agree. And I've said this a few times, back when these websites started using their truth or lie process. They simply handpick a few things, overlook a shitload of other lies (i.e., Hillary), and make it look like the person never lied about anything in their life.

If you're going to be the "definitive" source of a person's lying profile...then do the fucking groundwork and provide the entire period that person was in political office...not just the last few years where a half-wit college dropout could do the investigation.