Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Random Political Memes Thread

Old 01-20-19, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Random Political Memes Thread

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Old 01-20-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-20-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Can't find it now, but I saw a tweet the other day that said;
"Apparently Gillette is not good for sensitive skin."

Last edited by slop101; 01-20-19 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-20-19, 04:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-20-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Can't find it now, but I saw a tweet the other day that said;
"Apparently Gillette is not good for sensitive skin."

Yeah, you and most of the country.
Old 01-20-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-20-19, 05:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-20-19, 05:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-20-19, 05:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-20-19, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-20-19, 09:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-20-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-20-19, 09:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-21-19, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-21-19, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-21-19, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-21-19, 08:33 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-21-19, 12:49 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-21-19, 01:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I like Frank, but I think he’s probably being much too harsh here.

The longer videos certainly show that there are multiple sides to this story, and that all three groups have some level of wrong in the matter.

In my opinion, the only group that deserves full condemnation is those “lost tribe” people. Holy moley, looks like they’re as bad as those Westboro Baptist folks.

The veteran may be confused on some of the specifics, but certainly shouldn’t be vilified.

The smiling boy is likely less “guilty” than many of his peers. But we shouldn’t excuse these boys of the taunting just because they were provoked. A parent doesn’t allow a child to do something wrong just because they were provoked, and our God won’t forgive our sins just because we can show an hour video where we didn’t sin. From all the evidence, there appears to be a troubling culture of bullying at this school. Many do everything they can to defend bad behavior in an effort to prove that actions of our President aren’t having an effect.

The video of the MAGA kids harassing an indigenous veteran further demonstrate the consequences of having public displays of racism & bigotry sanctioned by the most powerful person in the country. - Clint Smith
Old 01-21-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Yeah, you and most of the country.
Sez the guy who gets repeatedly bent out of shape when women and minorities gain any ground in society.

I'd sub you in for trump in this pic...

Old 01-21-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 01-21-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-21-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-21-19, 03:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I like Frank, but I think he’s probably being much too harsh here.

The longer videos certainly show that there are multiple sides to this story, and that all three groups have some level of wrong in the matter.

In my opinion, the only group that deserves full condemnation is those “lost tribe” people. Holy moley, looks like they’re as bad as those Westboro Baptist folks.

The veteran may be confused on some of the specifics, but certainly shouldn’t be vilified.

The smiling boy is likely less “guilty” than many of his peers. But we shouldn’t excuse these boys of the taunting just because they were provoked. A parent doesn’t allow a child to do something wrong just because they were provoked, and our God won’t forgive our sins just because we can show an hour video where we didn’t sin. From all the evidence, there appears to be a troubling culture of bullying at this school. Many do everything they can to defend bad behavior in an effort to prove that actions of our President aren’t having an effect.

The video of the MAGA kids harassing an indigenous veteran further demonstrate the consequences of having public displays of racism & bigotry sanctioned by the most powerful person in the country. - Clint Smith
Good post, Trevor. I know the meme thread isn't really the place for nuanced discussion, but just a few thoughts I have that echo some of what you're saying:

I think everyone is the good guy in their own story, The small group of protesters are just spreading The Word; The teens are just Having Fun Waiting For A Bus. The natives are just Defusing The Tension. The longest video about this shows a lot more of what's going on, but it's still an incomplete picture as it's impossible to see what everyone's motivations really are. It's "wrong" for the protesters to yell obscenities at teens; It's "wrong" for teens to circle around them which can be intimidating; It's "wrong" for the native man to walk straight through these groups without making clear his goal; it's "wrong" for the teen to stand right in front of him without letting him pass for no apparent reason, etc, etc.
What I mean is... we can all watch the exact same video and end up sympathizing with a different group based on our own lived experiences or perspective of the events. As you said, in their own way, each group did something that maybe they shouldn't have done. So what's the worst offense that took place? Everyone's going to have a different take on it.
But I also know how manipulative or intimidating a group of teens can be to a smaller group of people in that kind of situation, especially if the teens are in a very large group, and mocking the others, and so on. I also know how teens are particularly adept and weaseling their way out of trouble by writing up a bullshit excuse for their own behavior; attributing innocent motives to past actions by way of "playing dumb" and so forth. I think everyone is genuinely lucky that it didn't result in violence, so at least there's that.

I guess what I'm saying is... maybe it's because I can relate to being an impressionable young white teen that I think it's easier (and necessary) to look down upon their group behavior in this situation and hope that they can actually learn from it. Teens aren't dumb, and they knew exactly what they were doing, but I don't think they have the lived experience to understand the depth of their actions... because they are so far removed from having ever been in a situation where they're the one's surrounded by a large group of people, mocking and intimidating them. That's not to let the other two groups off the hook, but really in this kind of situation... who is more at risk? a couple hundred teens or a dozen (if that) protestors?

And beyond all of that, since I deliberately did not mention it above: The fucking red hats and sweatshirts aren't doing them any favors when it comes to their public image. Unlike the "isn't this just another 'women shouldn't wear skimpy clothing' argument" argument (which is bullshit, but that's another issue), the symbol worn by those kids is a direct representation of the divide we see across the country, lead by the man spouting racist propaganda, white nationalist rhetoric, and all the other trash that comes out of his mouth. There is no reasonable real-world situation in which someone projecting that brand (and it IS a brand, and representative of identity based on the messages boosted by that man) is doing so out of love and kindness; time and time again, we've see that they do it as a representation of their agreement with those toxic messages, or for "trolling/satire."
The problem with "trolling/satire" is that, when it becomes completely indistinguishable from the acts/messages that they're satirizing... it's no longer satire. I've used this example before I think: 100 people on a message board... 90 of them are "joking" when they make jokes about killing a group of people, while 10 of them are dead serious when they post that they hate that group of people and want them dead. To an observer... there's no difference; that's a place where everyone hates a specific group of people. Same goes for these kids; maybe half of them wear it "for the lulz" and half of them really hate Mexicans, Muslims, immigrants, anyone non-white, etc. because that's the shit they're getting fed by their parents and YouTube and wherever else. In those real-world scenarios where a group of them are taunting/mocking you, does it even matter which of them are doing it because they hate your existence and which ones are just "having fun"?
Similarly, I used to use "gay" and "f-g" in casual conversation; not because I hated gay folks (I don't, and never did), but because I just grew up hearing those terms used "innocently" by others around me (such wonderful Catholic upbringing we all had). It wasn't until I realized that some of those other people weren't using those terms innocently... and that they DID hate those people... that I realized the effect it had to perpetuate that language and claim innocence whenever called on it. We had a discussion on this forum about a slur for behavior attributed a group of nomadic people; prior to a friend telling me about the origin of the word, I had NO IDEA.
I think there might be an argument, in a very very small and specific way, that the red had stuff can sometimes be attributed to that kind of young innocence... however... I don't buy it. They either know it can be seen as a symbol of division and hate and don't care, or they know and fully support it. It's not just a short skirt a woman wears for a night on the town; it's not just innocent brand-support.
It's an identity, cultivated by those who directly and indirectly influence them in ways that our generations never would have experienced. No joke, you can go on YouTube with a fresh account and no browsing history, and end up with white nationalist, white supremacist, faux-skeptic, "classical liberal", holocaust-denying/minimizing, and/or anti-feminist recommendations just by watching a few "let's play" videos for popular video games.

Anyway, that's all I've got.

Memes, though!

Old 01-21-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.