Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Random Political Meme & Meme-Adjacent Social Media Posts Thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Random Political Meme & Meme-Adjacent Social Media Posts Thread

Old 07-04-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 745 Likes on 487 Posts
re: The Random Political Meme & Social Media Errata Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Draven said he liked the message. I said he should join the church.
...which is fine. The second "you’re perfect for each other" contributes nothing (into a “conversation” that was already going nowhere), and I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been a third, fourth, etc. if I hadn't stepped in to ask you to stop.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 07-04-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
That may be the answer - at least for the symptoms.

Still need a cure.

Ah when you really have nothing pull out the "Trump Derangement Syndrome". Says a lot about the person that uses that one.

“We’re losing. Quick, everybody has to stop talking!”
If they hope to get anywhere with any changes, those are a pefect examples of what needs to go away. But IMO, it's pretty clear it's a personal issue (given the trend with those two posters) rather than an issue rather than anything that can be solved with new rules.
Old 07-04-18, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam, here's a guideline for consideration that I don't think currently exists. I'd hesitate to call it a "rule" due to the often-innocent or inadvertent commission.

When someone comments upon a meme (or cartoon), whether negatively or positively, please put the referenced meme inside a spoiler tag. That avoids the reposting of the same items, whether intentionally or not.

The reasoning behind this suggestion is not only to reduce clutter but also to prevent users from "rubbing it in" with the same dig over and over. It also discourages the one -word responses ("Fantastic!" "Disgusting!") and encourages the posting of new content without discouraging commentary since only the image would be spoilerized.

And the the practice would seem to fall under the same principle as rules prohibiting repetitive posting.

It's a compromise that strikes a middle ground and shouldn't offend anyone.
Old 07-04-18, 02:20 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

I’ll add that the reason I personally visit this thread is that I personally enjoy witnessing bad memes. Memes with bad grammar, spelling errors, egregious misperceptions about history, etc. crack me up.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-04-18 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 02:25 PM
Banned

like this dud.

[/QUOTE]

I get the intent, but the execution is wrong. No person attained independence on July 4th. July 4th celebrates America’s statement of national independence from England.
Old 07-04-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 624 Likes on 408 Posts

like this dud.
Please. Just stahp.

I get the intent, but the execution is wrong. No person attained independence on July 4th. July 4th celebrates America’s statement of national independence from England.
1. You don't get the intent.
2. The meme never said anything about persons attaining independence on 7/4. You made that up as you often do.
3. Mabuse deflection score... 10 out of 10. Great Classic Deflection. Up there with other dvdtalk Deflection regulars.
Old 07-04-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this post encapsulates a lot of what's wrong with this forum.

First, the lack of charity. "I get the intent, but ..." followed by a statement that utterly ignores the intent. If you get the intent, and you're not going to dispute that intent, why bother? To show us how smart you are?

Second, the sophistry. Certainly, no person attained independence on July 4. White Americans (and some non-white Americans) actually obtained independence with the ratification of the Treaty of Paris some 7+ years later. So what? That's not the point of the meme, and so you're arguing against a straw man. And to what end? None that I can see beyond your own amusement.
Old 07-04-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[...] bad grammar, spelling errors, egregious misperceptions about history, etc. crack me up.
That's why you like Trump.
Old 07-04-18, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Ah when you really have nothing pull out the "Trump Derangement Syndrome". Says a lot about the person that uses that one.
I really should show an example:
Spoiler:

At press conference today Trump got pwned today by the Dutch Prime Minister...
Old 07-04-18, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
If they hope to get anywhere with any changes, those are a pefect examples of what needs to go away. But IMO, it's pretty clear it's a personal issue (given the trend with those two posters) rather than an issue rather than anything that can be solved with new rules.
If I may make an observation about an observation, when some have made similar (although much briefer) remarks, they have been told in no uncertain terms that they should have reported the posts or contacted a mod and that public commenting was "tiresome." And yet they are strangely silent on other occasions with other posters, suggesting a partisan double standard.

Just an observation, although I grant permission to anyone wanting to quote it as a meme.

[I do agree that discussing specific posters should be done either via PM, report function, or Feedback Forum.]
Old 07-04-18, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH View Post
That's why you like Trump.
I loath trump and did not vote for him.
Old 07-04-18, 03:09 PM
Banned

I loath trump and did not vote for him.
Mabuse, as much as it pains me to point this out, I feel compelled given your post listing what draws you to this thread and in the spirit of bipartisanship:

You left your "e" off loathe.
Old 07-04-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I think this post encapsulates a lot of what's wrong with this forum.

First, the lack of charity. "I get the intent, but ..." followed by a statement that utterly ignores the intent. If you get the intent, and you're not going to dispute that intent, why bother? To show us how smart you are?

Second, the sophistry. Certainly, no person attained independence on July 4. White Americans (and some non-white Americans) actually obtained independence with the ratification of the Treaty of Paris some 7+ years later. So what? That's not the point of the meme, and so you're arguing against a straw man. And to what end? None that I can see beyond your own amusement.
Old 07-04-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
I really should show an example:
Spoiler:

Not really an example but thanks for tying. (That's a pro tip for you.)
Old 07-04-18, 03:23 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!

Not really an example but thanks for tying. (That's a pro tip for you.)
And a meme for you:

Old 07-04-18, 03:55 PM
Banned

^ ^ ^

"A meme! A meme! My kingdom for a meme!"

Or..."Sing out, lads, if ye spot a meme! This gold coin to the first among ye to sing out!"

AKA let's get back to meming.

Can't fight the funk.

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-04-18 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

Old 07-04-18, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Michael Moore thinks it's "Resistance Day:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Happy Resistance Day!<br>The revolt continues, some 242 years later.<br>C’mon, people! Let’s finish this!</p>&mdash; Michael Moore (@MMFlint) <a href="https://twitter.com/MMFlint/status/1014560601128005632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 4, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 07-04-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 07-04-18, 05:54 PM
Suspended

Old 07-04-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 07-04-18, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 07-04-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Ooo. Reminds me ... did everyone remember to start a civil war today?
Old 07-04-18, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Ooo. Reminds me ... did everyone remember to start a civil war today?
A tweet from the front lines:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brother,<br><br>The Red Hats attacked this morning with intense meme fire from the Russian Bot Artillery. We countered with a tremendous barrage of snark which drove them off. Our supply of emojis is unlimited, but we are running low on small batch cider.<br><br> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/secondcivilwarletters?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#secondcivilwarletters</a></p>&mdash; The Untied Methodist (@untiedmethodist) <a href="https://twitter.com/untiedmethodist/status/1014514473523204097?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 4, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 07-04-18, 07:40 PM
Suspended

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">TRAVEL ADVICE UPDATE:<br> <br>Showings of patriotism expected across the USA today. Expect large red, white and blue gatherings, hot dog consumption, “U-S-A” chants and firing of decorative explosives. British nationals are encouraged to hide their tea. <a href="https://t.co/BYS6vb3DKw">pic.twitter.com/BYS6vb3DKw</a></p>&mdash; British Embassy Washington (@UKinUSA) <a href="https://twitter.com/UKinUSA/status/1014500634152833024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 4, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.