Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Random Political Meme & Meme-Adjacent Social Media Posts Thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Random Political Meme & Meme-Adjacent Social Media Posts Thread

Old 01-23-22, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 445 Posts
Re: The Random Political Meme & Meme-Adjacent Social Media Posts Thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
God they really have no one
Old 01-23-22, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-23-22, 10:57 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

^ That's so disgusting! You guys gloating over Aaron's loss. We should be sharing in his grief (and laughing more quietly).
Old 01-23-22, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

I know some people may not give two shits about this but I have a simple question. Is this forum going to allow transphobic jokes like this to be posted without any repercussions? I know this type of "joke" is very popular among the right wing community but to me is in the same tone as racist and homophobic jokes. Even worse, when we have an openly trans member in this forum who shouldn't be taking shit like this when they visits this site.
I agree, it's lazy, punching down humor.
Old 01-23-22, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,252 Likes on 898 Posts

Shouldn't bag on Aaron Rodgers too much when Green Bay's special teams looks like this:

Old 01-23-22, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 566 Likes on 361 Posts

I know some people may not give two shits about this but I have a simple question.
I am not saying that I don't give "two shits" about it, but this is a pretty fair reference to the ongoing story about Tucker Carlson and M&Ms marketing. Were this some random transphobic humor without context, that would be one thing, but we shouldn't have a bias just because this appears to be a right wing jab. This seems like fair game to me, especially since the target of the humor is not really trans people anyway, but M&M/Mars' decision to make their animated mascots less sexist and (arguably) more inclusive.

There have been many, many things posted in this thread (some probably by me) that are far more mean-spirited than this.
Old 01-23-22, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I agree, it's lazy, punching down humor.
Unfortunately that's the only kind of "humor" they are able to muster.
Old 01-23-22, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Unfortunately that's the only kind of "humor" they are able to muster.
Usually true, yes.

There is a subreddit called "The Right Can't Meme" or something to that effect that is dedicated to this topic.
Old 01-23-22, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 828 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I am not saying that I don't give "two shits" about it, but this is a pretty fair reference to the ongoing story about Tucker Carlson and M&Ms marketing. Were this some random transphobic humor without context, that would be one thing, but we shouldn't have a bias just because this appears to be a right wing jab. This seems like fair game to me, especially since the target of the humor is not really trans people anyway, but M&M/Mars' decision to make their animated mascots less sexist and (arguably) more inclusive.

There have been many, many things posted in this thread (some probably by me) that are far more mean-spirited than this.
I don’t think you got my point here. I know what is referencing yet I feel that trans joke should be a no no in this forum similar to racist and homophobic jokes. Just because it makes reference to topical material doesn’t make it less offensive.
Old 01-23-22, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

I don’t think you got my point here. I know what is referencing yet I feel that trans joke should be a no no in this forum similar to racist and homophobic jokes. Just because it makes reference to topical material doesn’t make it less offensive.
Yeah, the "joke" is that no matter what you identify as (skittle) it doesn't change what you are inside (chocolate). It's a transphobic joke, no matter how you dress it up.
Old 01-23-22, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don’t think you got my point here.
I am pretty confident that I get your point perfectly, I just disagree. I certainly agree there needs to be a line here, but I would not draw it here.

I really don't want this place to become an echo chamber. It is already dangerously close to being one already and if it goes the rest of the way, there really isn't any point in coming here at all. If, for example, PerryD left and never came back because content rules became too onerous (which would obviously thrill some of you), I would actually become a member of the forum "right wing" despite the fact that I am unquestionably left-leaning on the vast majority of socio-political issues. That would be sad.

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Yeah, the "joke" is that no matter what you identify as (skittle) it doesn't change what you are inside (chocolate). It's a transphobic joke, no matter how you dress it up.
Admittedly, this is a good point.
Old 01-23-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This seems like fair game to me, especially since the target of the humor is not really trans people anyway, but M&M/Mars' decision to make their animated mascots less sexist and (arguably) more inclusive.
The target *should* be Tucker losing his goddamned mind because he can’t spank it to cartoon candy mascots anymore. I mean, what are we even talking about here?
Old 01-23-22, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am pretty confident that I get your point perfectly, I just disagree. I certainly agree there needs to be a line here, but I would not draw it here.

I really don't want this place to become an echo chamber. It is already dangerously close to being one already and if it goes the rest of the way, there really isn't any point in coming here at all. If, for example, PerryD left and never came back because content rules became too onerous (which would obviously thrill some of you), I would actually become a member of the forum "right wing" despite the fact that I am unquestionably left-leaning on the vast majority of socio-political issues. That would be sad.

Admittedly, this is a good point.
This place doesn't have to be an echo chamber but at the same time it should tolerate homophobic, transphobic, racist or disability jokes. One thing is discuss the policies and beliefs of each side of the aisle but another one is to be an asshole by making fun of people who are marginalized in society in one way or another. Certainly, that transphobic meme shows more of what right wingers think is comedy, but at the same time is completely disrespectful to the trans community. It minimizes their humanity and certainly that isn't a disagreement about conservatives policies or economic viewpoints. The meme could easily be considered a personal attack.
Old 01-23-22, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, I think the whole M&M thing is fucking stupid to begin with. It's candy and the characters are cartoons. This is a brand trying to be cute and believing that diversifying their cartoons is inclusive and progressive, when in fact they should actually do what they preach in their workplace instead. I know several people who work at Mars Incorporated who have told me horrors stories about how the company culture is. The fact is that their company engages in horrible business practices like child slave labor among other shit. They need to clean and put the house in order before they get cute on shit no one asked for, like diversifying candy characters
Old 01-23-22, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You act like there needs to be “dissent” on some of these topics. There doesn’t.
Old 01-23-22, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well this is certainly a take.

Old 01-23-22, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
You act like there needs to be “dissent” on some of these topics. There doesn’t.
This sentence is proof positive that there does indeed need to be dissent. The truth on "these topics" is not as self-evident as you seem to think on "some of these topics" or any others. Maybe you think your viewpoint on everything is correct, I can assure you that it is not. Neither, for that matter, is mine. You and I actually don't disagree on core socio-political principles very much, yet I regularly think you are full of shit and am usually not shy about telling you so (in more diplomatic terms typically). You have done the same to me. It's all good. I learn something from some of these exchanges. If you don't, that's on you.

This is a political discussion forum. Without dissent and disagreement, there is no real discussion. There are already tons of places on the Internet to go if you want no dissent, no deviations from the applicable political loyalty oath. This doesn't need to be one of them. As soon as this forum basically becomes liberal progressives arguing with slightly less liberal progressives, this place will wither up and die in short order.
Old 01-23-22, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Old 01-23-22, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This place doesn't have to be an echo chamber but at the same time it should tolerate homophobic, transphobic, racist or disability jokes.
This is very easily a joke that Tucker could have made himself (and he may still). So if I posted a video of his show where he made this joke, does that cross the line also? The fact of the matter is that you do not get to decide on behalf of the trans community what is and is not offensive. I think most of them also have far thicker skin than you are giving them credit for. As I said, there is definitely a line, but this doesn't cross it.

Before I responded, I decided to call my close trans friend and ask her for her opinion. Her first response was, "Dude, the playoffs are on, don't you have anything better to do than argue about this bullshit?" Once I emailed her the links to the controversy, she agreed that Tucker is a moron, that the whole thing is stupid, and then asked, "Who the hell gets offended by the right-wing Onion?"

The meme could easily be considered a personal attack.
This is laughable.
Old 01-23-22, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a political discussion forum. Without dissent and disagreement, there is no real discussion. There are already tons of places on the Internet to go if you want no dissent, no deviations from the applicable political loyalty oath. This doesn't need to be one of them. As soon as this forum basically becomes liberal progressives arguing with slightly less liberal progressives, this place will wither up and die in short order.
I think you should take this both sides bullshit and go to one of the forums that advocates for white supremacy, against LGBTQIA rights, or generally tries to deny some marginalized group their humanity. Denying a human basic dignity because of a circumstance beyond their control is wrong. Period, full stop. If you think otherwise it is you whose opinion isn’t worth hearing, no matter how “topical” it may be.
Old 01-23-22, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This sentence is proof positive that there does indeed need to be dissent. The truth on "these topics" is not as self-evident as you seem to think on "some of these topics" or any others. Maybe you think your viewpoint on everything is correct, I can assure you that it is not. Neither, for that matter, is mine. You and I actually don't disagree on core socio-political principles very much, yet I regularly think you are full of shit and am usually not shy about telling you so (in more diplomatic terms typically). You have done the same to me. It's all good. I learn something from some of these exchanges. If you don't, that's on you.

You can have discussion and disagreement without being on the wrong side of history.

There is nothing productive about having to have discussions with flat-earthers, QAnon or those who think Bill Gates is controlling us with 5G. We also don’t need to tolerate cracks about transgender people.

It’s not an “echo chamber” if the baseline is “basic human dignity”.

There are some things that need to be discussed AND there are some things that are simply right and wrong.
Old 01-23-22, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 665 Likes on 466 Posts

Spoiler:
Were I drinking coffee, it would be all over my screen. By the way, who the hell is Joy Villa? Bob's wife?

Hey, joeblow, haven't seen you 'round these parts in a while.
Old 01-23-22, 04:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 744 Likes on 532 Posts

I get jfoobar's point, and I think that particular meme is one that hovers right on that line of being unnecessarily mean spirited, especially considering the source (the actual source, not the poster who adds nothing to the conversation).
As others said though, you could easily tweak the 'joke' (it's always the same joke with these right wingers and their trans humor) to be about race or disability or sexual orientation (instead of identity), and it would immediately be considered something on the WRONG side of that line. The only difference is perception. So if it's a joke in which a marginalized group is the butt, it shouldn't really matter which group that is, right? It's still the same shitty joke, and doesn't really belong.

The meta commentary about echo chambers is better suited for one of the existing threads that pops up every year or so; this thread is for mindless memes that bring the laughs!
Old 01-23-22, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
I think you should take this both sides bullshit and go to one of the forums that advocates for white supremacy, against LGBTQIA rights, or generally tries to deny some marginalized group their humanity..
Thank you for being the very embodiment of my point, JasonX.

Let's recap:
  • I voted for Obama (twice).
  • I voted for Hillary.
  • I voted for Biden.
  • I voted for Terry McAuliffe.
  • I think Trump was the worst President in this country's history, at least since Buchanan if not ever.
  • I am pro-choice, pro-LGBT rights, pro-universal healthcare, pro-marijuana legalization, and so on.
  • One of my very best friends in the world is trans, and I was her friend long before her transition and it has not effected our friendship at all. In fact, the only thing that hurts our friendship is that she had her wife have cats and my wife is allergic to them.
And yet, solely because I opined that the Babylon Bee satire image that PerryD (someone whose views I have attacked here time and time again as the record clearly shows) was not offensive enough to be banned, you have insinuated that I am anti-LGBTQIA white supremacist.

1. That's astoundingly fucking stupid.
2. You owe me an apology.
Old 01-23-22, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I get jfoobar's point, and I think that particular meme is one that hovers right on that line of being unnecessarily mean spirited, especially considering the source (the actual source, not the poster who adds nothing to the conversation).
As others said though, you could easily tweak the 'joke' (it's always the same joke with these right wingers and their trans humor) to be about race or disability or sexual orientation (instead of identity), and it would immediately be considered something on the WRONG side of that line. The only difference is perception. So if it's a joke in which a marginalized group is the butt, it shouldn't really matter which group that is, right? It's still the same shitty joke, and doesn't really belong.

The meta commentary about echo chambers is better suited for one of the existing threads that pops up every year or so; this thread is for mindless memes that bring the laughs!
Hell, I'll weigh in. It's not mean-spirited on its face. It's cute and silly, which is why the ultimate message that being transgender is a silly, capricious choice and not real kind of sucks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.