Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2016 Presidential Election Part 2: Armageddon Edition

Old 11-12-16, 12:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Part 2: Armageddon Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Yeah, she got crushed in places where hardly anyone lives.

Prove you aren't racist. Denounce the 200+ incidents of racism documented by the Southern Poverty Law Center since the election. No weaseling around -- do you condemn the Trump supporters who are doing this, and do you think Trump should denounce them publicly to protect the safety of minorities and women?

Yes or no.
of course I do not condone these acts of violence and hate. I also do not condone the acts of violence from the other side rallying against Trump. Both the President and President-Elect should come out against such behavior. Thus far, neither have, amirite?

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/radio-sile...nt-trump-riots
Old 11-12-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I need to reiterate this.... It's one thing for Gore to lose the electoral vote while getting about half a million more votes than Bush. But for Clinton to lose after getting 2.2 fucking MILLION more votes is just ridiculous. There are fifteen states that have a smaller population than that number of votes!
This election was not a mandate of the white working class, but rather a call to re-calculate the electoral numbers. Like why the fuck Wyoming carries .5% of the electoral vote when they only have .1% of the population? And don't give that bullshit about "state representation", that's what the senate and congress is for.
Old 11-12-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post

My laugh for the day...if it wasn't for cities, Trump would have crushed Hillary
Yea. And, ugh (seriously UGH), I hate to bring up this statistic, but I saw it on Google... Clinton won 79% of counties where more than 50% is college educated (bachelor's degree).

Now we'll wait and see what Trump can really do for the poor and uneducated - as far as jumpstarting manufacturing to create jobs for those people. If he can curb industry habits, hats off to him. Whether it's the government, or corporate pressure and responsibility, I hope it's not done at the cost of the environment (I don't want Phoenix to look like Beijing).

I guess that my fear, is that he's going to create more hostility when negotiating trade deals. Maybe he can go to Mexico and raise tariffs and whatnot. And then Mexico is going to turn around and raise our tariffs, which will influence Mexican factories to source their supply elsewhere. When NAFTA was formed, the idea was that we'll all be buddy-buddy and help each other out. Trump's trade policies go back to making us isolationists.

Anyways, what it all comes down to is how people react and move forward. Otherwise, we're just predicting what-if scenarios.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 11-12-16 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 12:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm done in this thread, it's like bashing your head against the wall every time I visit it.

Your candidate lost, snowflakes. It is your job to now learn to live with it, hopefully in a peaceful and respectful manner. Your candidate was just as big of a piece of shit as Trump but in different, and less overt ways. Own it. Learn from it.

I hope Trump is a good President for all Americans. That's why I voted for him. He may very well let us all down, and if that's the case, and I feel that way too, I'll come back and apologize to you all and eat a big helping for crow. I didn't support him enthusiastically, I didn't believe in his platform 100%, and he was truly the lesser of two evils in my eyes, but more importantly was a jolt in the arm that I felt is/was needed to the old school political system.

Regardless of what you feel about Trump, his election has changed American politics forever, and no future election will ever be the same. And that's a good thing regardless of future outcomes. Our best and brightest should be the ones rising to the top to run for President, not those being groomed by the machine. Trump and Clinton are neither the best or the brightest, and this election cycle sucked.

toodles!
Old 11-12-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'm doing the ACLU and Planned Parenthood myself. They'll need all the help they can get once President Pussygrabber takes office.
I would love to see Planned Parenthood somehow reform to disconnect their abortion practices under a different clinic, which uses zero government grants to fund. Their yearly budget is, what, $1B? They say only a few percent goes to their abortion practices. What keeps them from opening a new clinic to fund the abortions, using only private donations?

Anyways, I think there's a clean break to be made. It'd silence all of the opposition about government funding. And I don't think they'd have trouble raising funding for their abortion clinics when needed. Remember, not everyone needs "free abortions". They could rely on revenue and donations to make ends meet.

I first thought of this when Kasich was talking about defunding PP in Ohio. I though "how much is it". $50M? $100M? No, it's $1.5M a year. That seems like such a small amount of money.
Old 11-12-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Your candidate lost, snowflakes. It is your job to now learn to live with it, hopefully in a peaceful and respectful manner. Your candidate was just as big of a piece of shit as Trump but in different, and less overt ways. Own it. Learn from it.
She wasn't "my" candidate. And it's not sour grapes, but I'm just a bit more hopeful knowing that a sizable* majority of voters did NOT vote for Trump.

*I'd say 2.2 million is sizable, no?
Old 11-12-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post

My laugh for the day...if it wasn't for cities, Trump would have crushed Hillary
The hell does that mean? "If my candidate had more people voting for him, he would have crushed his opponent." ??? 2.2 Million.
Old 11-12-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Wrong. Except for Ohio, the Midwestern states were very close and could have easily gone the other way. Florida was close, too.
Yes, FL, PA, MI and WI were all very close. Which of these states would Hillary have needed to reverse the results?

Trump has 306 EVs, including MI which some have still not awarded him (although they eventually will).

The states and their EVs:

FL - 29
PA - 20
MI - 16
WI - 10

Hillary would have needed to win FL and any one or more of the others; or without FL, all of the others.

So, sorta, maybe, woulda coulda shoulda. But bunch of 'em.

Last edited by movielib; 11-12-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
I'm done in this thread, it's like bashing your head against the wall every time I visit it.
First rule of internet chat forums is don't both trying to convince anyone of anything State your opinion and let people agree or disagree but everyone will attempt to justify their own positions - but it doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong.. it's just perception and where you land with hope or fear in the face of uncertainty. Don't try to change people on here.. that's a waste of effort. You may win a battle here or there but you'll never win the war.

On a different note but still election related..

Did anyone vote on one of the electronic voting machines? We've had the inka-dot stuff here forever and I kind of doubt it's going to change anytime soon. Just wondering how wide spread those were.
Old 11-12-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
On a different note but still election related..

Did anyone vote on one of the electronic voting machines? We've had the inka-dot stuff here forever and I kind of doubt it's going to change anytime soon. Just wondering how wide spread those were.
Yeah. We've had 'em in my voting place (OC, SoCal) for years.
Old 11-12-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I would love to see Planned Parenthood somehow reform to disconnect their abortion practices under a different clinic, which uses zero government grants to fund. Their yearly budget is, what, $1B? They say only a few percent goes to their abortion practices. What keeps them from opening a new clinic to fund the abortions, using only private donations?

Anyways, I think there's a clean break to be made. It'd silence all of the opposition about government funding. And I don't think they'd have trouble raising funding for their abortion clinics when needed. Remember, not everyone needs "free abortions". They could rely on revenue and donations to make ends meet.

I first thought of this when Kasich was talking about defunding PP in Ohio. I though "how much is it". $50M? $100M? No, it's $1.5M a year. That seems like such a small amount of money.
As a Catholic, I'm against abortion. However I disagree with your thought. We should not separate individual medical issues just because we have personal feelings on those issues. I feel strongly that easier access and not having to jump thru hoops for any medical issue is the key to improving said issue.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 11-12-16 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok I guess he's gone but can someone explain to me the repeated "snowflake" reference?
Old 11-12-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Ok I guess he's gone but can someone explain to me the repeated "snowflake" reference?
He's using Fight Club terminology. Oh, the irony. His nihilism is showing.
Old 11-12-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by HRC.org
Throughout history, we’ve faced devastating setbacks in our pursuit of a more perfect union. But even in the darkest of moments, Americans have summoned the courage and persistence to fight on. The results of the presidential election require us to meet the same resolve.

Make no mistake, no matter how Donald Trump and Mike Pence govern, we won't hesitate to fight for what’s right and defend each and every member of our community from their hate. Lives literally depend on it. To every LGBTQ person across this nation feeling disheartened and questioning if they have a place in our country, know this: You do. Love will always win.
Again, I ask, where is the hate. We have had record numbers of minorities (that includes gay people) who voted for Trump and who DID NOT VOTE FOR ROMNEY in 2012.

Why is this?

I thought Trump was a man of hate? Wouldn't gay people know what hate was? Wouldn't Black people know what hate is? Wouldn't Latinos also know...what hate is?

I guess they are all wrong?

Maybe they got tired of being told what to do, how to think, when to think.
Old 11-12-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Again, I ask, where is the hate. We have had record numbers of minorities (that includes gay people) who voted for Trump and who DID NOT VOTE FOR ROMNEY in 2012.

Why is this?

I thought Trump was a man of hate? Wouldn't gay people know what hate was? Wouldn't Black people know what hate is? Wouldn't Latinos also know...what hate is?

I guess they are all wrong?

Maybe they got tired of being told what to do, how to think, when to think.

Sure they know. They're under the impression that they won't be affected. They're self-loathers and sell outs. We'll see how they like it in 4 years.
Old 11-12-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
From USA TODAY

About 4,000 protesters assembled downtown late Thursday chanting “we reject the president-elect!” the Associated Press reported. Some among the crowd vandalized 19 cars at a dealership in Northeast Portland, according to a sales manager, Oregonlive.com reports. Protesters then headed west, over the Broadway Bridge and into the Pearl District, where the windows of several businesses were smashed

The protest was mostly peaceful until demonstrators met with an anarchist group, after which demonstrators vandalized buildings, kicked cars and knocked out power, KGW-TV reported.

Here's your proof...yes this is "peaceful"
There were anarchists that actually came together? Under some sort of structure? Wow!
Old 11-12-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Okay, I need to reiterate this.... It's one thing for Gore to lose the electoral vote while getting about half a million more votes than Bush. But for Clinton to lose after getting 2.2 fucking MILLION more votes is just ridiculous. There are fifteen states that have a smaller population than that number of votes!
This election was not a mandate of the white working class, but rather a call to re-calculate the electoral numbers. Like why the fuck Wyoming carries .5% of the electoral vote when they only have .1% of the population? And don't give that bullshit about "state representation", that's what the senate and congress is for.
The results I'm seeing show Clinton up about 550,000 votes. Where are you getting 2.2 million?
Old 11-12-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you didn't like the policies and agenda of Clinton and she had been elected president, do you think you'd be able to walk out onto the streets and engage in protests without some serious repercussions?

Do you think you'd be demonized and called such things as a racist, anti-woman, anti-Democracy, anti-gay, neo-Nazi, xenophobic, pro-violence, etc. even if your protests were 100% peaceful and caused no property damage? (All you wanted to do was block a few freeways and make your voice heard. You wanted to voice your displeasure for Clinton's support of the ACA or allowing Syrian refugees into the country.)

If you're arrested would you hate speech charges be thrown on as well? Would your employer look at those charges and decide it's time to terminate you?

Maybe I'm mistakenly perceiving a double standard?
Old 11-12-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dallasobserver.com/restau...mother-8897313

Out right physical harm is bad enough. But I fear this is the new norm. Idiotic harrassememt.

Again, regardless if Trump meant all that he said, or could actually do all they he said he would do, he said it. Repeated it. Made it a rally cry.

And now others feel since "we all elected him President" empowers them to do the same. Treat people like dirt just because of how they look, act or in this case talk.

I travel 200+ days a year. Home is Dallas. We are a very diverse group from rednecks to CEO's. The area that this took place in an area that would be considered a "hipster" area of young people with lots of trendy bars, clubs, live music and shops. It's a cool fun area. With lots of money.
This is all just made up to test your faith in the system. Just like dinosaur bones coming from actual living dinosaurs and that climate change being a real thing.
Old 11-12-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ver-obamacare/

This is the reality Trump is about to face on the ACA. It's easy to say "insurance companies must accept all people and let's throw everything else out", but that's not reality. There is a domino effect that is needed if you start with the presumption that insurance companies must insure all.

Again, I'm not a fan of the ACA. I disagreed with it from the beginning. But now that we have it, and it cut in half the people who didn't have health coverage, you have to be careful. It is a complex issue.
Old 11-12-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People obsessing over the popular vote should realize that over two million illegal votes were cast in the 2012 election, with the vast majority going to Democrats and Obama. I believe it was over 80% of them going for Obama over Romney in the study.

That margin completely wipes out Hillary's popular vote win.
Old 11-12-16, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Again, I'm not a fan of the ACA. I disagreed with it from the beginning. But now that we have it, and it cut in half the people who didn't have health coverage, you have to be careful. It is a complex issue.
Yeah that's because it's flawed.. When the Democrats pushed it through they even said it wasn't very good (well I think the exact quote was something like "It wasn't everything we hoped for.. ") but they'd try to keep it pumped up on the back end.. but it wasn't enough and insurance companies are bailing on it right and left and premiums are shooting up and .. it just wasn't going to last much longer. Hillary would have tried to rework it and probably kept the name.. Trump will rework it and HOPEFULLY do what Obama didn't do and have both parties at the table. Otherwise it will be "Trumpcare".

Some of this was echoed by Aetna CEO Mark Bertolini the other day. I'm in in the health care industry so this is all of particular interest to me. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Actually I just saw this from a Trump interview he did since he became president elect:

He also confirmed that he plans on repealing Obamacare "simultaneously" to when he introduces his new plan, so that there is no period of time when people are without coverage.

"That's what I do, I do a good job. I mean, I know how to do this stuff," he told Stahl. "We're not going to have a two-day period, and we're not going to have a two-year period where there's nothing. And it'll be great health care for much less money."
We'll see

Last edited by General Zod; 11-12-16 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by silentbob007 View Post
The results I'm seeing show Clinton up about 550,000 votes. Where are you getting 2.2 million?
Here.

As of Friday, Hillary Clinton was ahead in the popular vote with 63.4 million to Trump's 61.2.
There's about 4 million CA ballots left to be counted, and they just used math to extrapolate what those left would be.
Old 11-12-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Here.

There's about 4 million CA ballots left to be counted, and they just used math to extrapolate what those left would be.
Way too much is being made of this. It's a bogus argument.

The campaigns are run with the goal of winning the Electoral College because... that's the way you win.

If the goal were to win the popular vote (if that's how you won) the campaigns would be drastically different and no one has any idea how such an election would have turned out.
Old 11-12-16, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
People obsessing over the popular vote should realize that over two million illegal votes were cast in the 2012 election, with the vast majority going to Democrats and Obama. I believe it was over 80% of them going for Obama over Romney in the study.
Source?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.