Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

New! Improved! The 2020 Presidential Election Thread: It's Never Over! Edition

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

New! Improved! The 2020 Presidential Election Thread: It's Never Over! Edition

Old 03-06-19, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: New! Improved! The 2020 Presidential Election Thread: It's Never Over! Edition

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
not a surprise here.

https://twitter.com/JaneMayerNYer/st...66359319302145

But will that mean that Trump will only do a debate on Fox News? (if he does one at all)
Trunp has zero incentive to show up to a debate. His supporters will applaud him for it.
Old 03-06-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: New! Improved! The 2020 Presidential Election Thread: It's Never Over! Edition

Im not so sure about that. Speeches by the democratic candidate will be heard and them repeating over and over that trump is afraid to debate them will get through and Im someone who believes very little will.
Old 03-07-19, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Largely dependent on the polls at the time. Whoever is ahead in the polls has the least to gain and the most to lose. So traditionally they are ones trying to dictate terms beneficial to them. Of course everything with Trump is Opposite Day so no telling what may happen. He does well shooting from the hip so I would think he would have no problem debating then blaming any shortcomings on the liberal media and fake news. The Trumpeters will eat that up.
Old 03-07-19, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. Him showing up at the debate and saying anything will work for his base. I think not having a debate hurts him no matter where the polling is and also weakens his case if he tries some sort of funny business when he loses so I'm all for it but I think we'll have at least one debate.
Old 03-07-19, 07:33 AM
Admin-Thanos

I think we will have the traditional 3 debates. They don't do anything anymore, so it's not too much risk. Most people make up their minds based on advertising or they are already on "a team."
Old 03-07-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Trunp has zero incentive to show up to a debate. His supporters will applaud him for it.
Actually, the one time that Trump did not show up to a debate in 2016 Primaries was Iowa, and it backfired as Cruz took the Caucus. Debates are all about getting the independent and undecided voters as the each base made their decision on who to vote months before that. It will hurt Trump (among undecided) if he skips the debates as he is just trolling the media and the left (and you always take the bait) as he will show up next October. But I don't blame him for complaining as CNN and MSNBC are just as much in the tank for the Democrats as FoxNews is for the Republicans.

Last edited by coli; 03-07-19 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-07-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love that we have undecideds on dumb dumb fascism. People are just swell.
Old 03-07-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
But I don't blame him for complaining as CNN and MSNBC are just as much in the tank for the Democrats as FoxNews is for the Republicans.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't see the recent article outlining the many ties between Fox News and the Trump campaign/administration:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ws-white-house

It's not a question of "in the tank" (though I find your premise laughable); it's the fact that Fox, a putative news organization, is literally coordinating with the administration they are supposed to be reporting on. Until you can point to regular lines of communication between CNN executives and Nancy Pelosi's office; until you can show me all the times Obama called Rachel Maddow to chat off the air, you're just perpetuating a false equivalence.
Old 03-07-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But I don't blame him for complaining as CNN and MSNBC are just as much in the tank for the Democrats as FoxNews is for the Republicans.
MSNBC has always seemed biased.
I haven't watched CNN regularly for a while. They always seemed to be neutral or objective to me. Then they started getting criticized for being neutral, and the viewership wasn't doing too good compared to FOX's ratings, and MSNBC climbing up. Maybe they lean a little more to the left now.

I haven't seen CNN or MSNBC be anywhere close to being as biased or "in the tank" for the Democrats as FOX News is for Trump and the Republican Party.

New Emails Prove Just How Much Fox News Is in the Tank for the Trump Administration

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
until you can show me all the times Obama called Rachel Maddow to chat off the air, you're just perpetuating a false equivalence.
That was crazy when Trump called into Fox & Friends, and they were talking to him like he was some regularly buddy, journalistic integrity be damned. But even they had to hang up the call when Trump started rambling on and on.

There's this too:

Vanity Fair - Sean Hannity Admits to Giving Donald Trump Advice

Last edited by brayzie; 03-07-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-07-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
MSNBC has always seemed biased.
I haven't watched CNN regularly for a while. They always seemed to be neutral or objective to me. Then they started getting criticized for being neutral, and the viewership wasn't doing too good compared to FOX's ratings, and MSNBC climbing up. Maybe they lean a little more to the left now.

I haven't seen CNN or MSNBC be anywhere as nearly biased or "in the tank" for the Democrats as FOX News is for the Trump and the Republican Party.

New Emails Prove Just How Much Fox News Is in the Tank for the Trump Administration

​​​​​​

That was crazy when Trump called into Fox & Friends, and they were talking to him like he was some regularly buddy, journalistic integrity be damned. But even they had to hang up the call when Trump started rambling on and on.

There's this too:

Vanity Fair - Sean Hannity Admits to Giving Donald Trump Advice
Oh come on. Sean Hannity is essentially a member of the WH.
Old 03-07-19, 07:40 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown announces he's not running for president in 2020

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ohio...ry?id=61534638
Old 03-08-19, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown announces he's not running for president in 2020

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ohio...ry?id=61534638

Now both candidates I might have voted for have withdrawn from the race. Looks like I'll be sitting out 2020--unless some other common sense candidate emerges out of left field. (Highly unlikely at this point.)
Old 03-08-19, 03:01 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Now both candidates I might have voted for have withdrawn from the race. Looks like I'll be sitting out 2020--unless some other common sense candidate emerges out of left field. (Highly unlikely at this point.)
I don't know what "common sense candidate" means. Usually that's just someone who agrees with you.

I would have liked Sherrod Brown to run .He's probably not my top candidate, but I would seriously consider him.

Last edited by Psi; 03-08-19 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 05:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I don't know what "common sense candidate" means. Usually that's just someone who agrees with you.

I would have liked Sherrod Brown to run .He's probation not my top candidate, but I would seriously consider him.
Sherrod had common sense and said, "fuck this circus."
Old 03-08-19, 05:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't see the recent article outlining the many ties between Fox News and the Trump campaign/administration:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ws-white-house

It's not a question of "in the tank" (though I find your premise laughable); it's the fact that Fox, a putative news organization, is literally coordinating with the administration they are supposed to be reporting on. Until you can point to regular lines of communication between CNN executives and Nancy Pelosi's office; until you can show me all the times Obama called Rachel Maddow to chat off the air, you're just perpetuating a false equivalence.
If you look into Obama's admin and the left media, you will see a comparative form of media collusion on stories and how to report them. 8 years of Obama, it was not too difficult to observe

But...you have to look and read articles on websites that are critical of the Left. Just like I have to visit critical websites of my favorites.
Old 03-08-19, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
If you look into Obama's admin and the left media, you will see a comparative form of media collusion on stories and how to report them. 8 years of Obama, it was not too difficult to observe

But...you have to look and read articles on websites that are critical of the Left. Just like I have to visit critical websites of my favorites.
I remember Donna Brazille giving Hillary some of the CNN debate questions (or atleast the first question) against Bernie before the debate back in the day, as all of the left wing media (and the DNC) were in the tank for Hillary. They knew about it, and nothing was done. Once she was exposed, THEN she was fired. There were times during the Kavanaugh hearings that things were leaked to CNN and MSNBC regarding Dr Ford and the other women who accused him of harrassment/assault, that I always thought was suspicious. Again, everyone can choose to believe whatever they want, but CNN and MSNBC are in the tank for Democrats, and FoxNews is in the tank for Republicans. The beauty about this now is that all 3 networks are blatantly doing it, where years ago CNN tried to come off as the non-partisan news network, which is even more insulting. You know exactly what you're getting now when you turn on Cable News, Late Night, Talk Radio even the Newspapers.

Last edited by coli; 03-08-19 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So weve landed at I remember when Obama did nothing like what Trump does with Fox News but its the same thing.

Old 03-08-19, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
If you look into Obama's admin and the left media, you will see a comparative form of media collusion on stories and how to report them.
[citation needed]
Old 03-08-19, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So weve landed at I remember when Obama did nothing like what Trump does with Fox News but its the same thing.

Pretty much. Its well documented that Trump regularly calls Hannity.
Old 03-08-19, 08:49 AM

So we’ve landed at “I remember when Obama did nothing like what Trump does with Fox News but it’s the same thing.”

Oh please, the Democrats have the WHOLE media on their side, where FoxNews is one entity. ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, even Late Night is all liberal now. Obama didn't need to call into Rachael Maddow every night, cause 90% of the media is on his side. I have said it over and over, but the liberal media created FoxNews because they left that window open for someone to target that market of people who were being ignored. For years and years, every major political pundit from ABC, CBS and NBC along with CNN were from the left. George Stephanopolous is hired from ABC as he worked Bill Clinton. The nightly news guys like Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, and Peter Jennings were all liberal (remember the Dan Rather scandal in 2004 with the lies about President Bush). Can you name me one major political person from a Republican Administration that was ever hired on a major network? (no, they were just pundits like George Will as they needed that token Republican). So what happens is there was this vacumm for years that was waiting to speak to Conservative Voters, and FoxNews captured that. Sadly, because they have no competition (the whole media is liberal), they went to the model of preaching to the choir, so it created a media that now plays to the sheep. If the media would have played it fair and given a good balance of Republican and Democrat Political Talking heads instead of Liberals like Dan Rather and George Stephanopolous, than FoxNews would have never existed. You created it (not you personally) by ignoring those Republicans for 40 years, and now you're bitching because somebody was smart enough to speak to them. I don't watch FoxNews or any of the Cable Networks (or even shows like Meet the Press anymore) cause they all preach to the sheep, but this is a cause/effect of years of the liberals controlling the media.

Last edited by coli; 03-08-19 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh please, the Democrats have the WHOLE media on their side, where FoxNews is one entity. ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, even Late Night is all liberal now. Obama didn't need to call into Rachael Maddow every night, cause 90% of the media is on his side. I have said it over and over, but the liberal media created FoxNews because they left that window open for someone to target that market of people who were being ignored. For years and years, every major political pundit from ABC, CBS and NBC along with CNN were from the left. George Stephanopolous is hired from ABC as he worked Bill Clinton. The nightly news guys like Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, and Peter Jennings were all liberal (remember the Dan Rather scandal in 2004 with the lies about President Bush). Can you name me one major political person from a Republican Administration that was ever hired on a major network? (no, they were just pundits like George Will as they needed that token Republican). So what happens is there was this vacumm for years that was waiting to speak to Conservative Voters, and FoxNews captured that. Sadly, because they have no competition (the whole media is liberal), they went to the model of preaching to the choir, so it created a media that now plays to the sheep. If the media would have played it fair and given a good balance of Republican and Democrat Political Talking heads instead of Liberals like Dan Rather and George Stephanopolous, than FoxNews would have never existed. You created it (not you personally) by ignoring those Republicans for 40 years, and now you're bitching because somebody was smart enough to speak to them. I don't watch FoxNews or any of the Cable Networks (or even shows like Meet the Press anymore) cause they all preach to the sheep, but this is a cause/effect of years of the liberals controlling the media.
Christ, dude. Cut letters out of magazines next time you want to write something like this, because you sound nuts.

Again, using smaller words:

This is not about Fox liking Trump. This is about Fox working directly with Trump.

And George W. Bush's former Communications Director has her own show on MSNBC, so I guess I just named you one major political person from a Republican Administration that was hired on a major network. What do I win?
Old 03-08-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, just being "liberal" doesn't mean you can be an unbiased journalist and a fair reporter.

I'll catch a lot of shit for this I'm sure, but I have always had a pet theory that journalism attracts a certain type of person. They usually have some kind of writing background and/or other creative experience. It leans more toward people who were involved in the arts. The kind of programs conservatives love to cut. And to be a good journalist, you have to care about how things affect everyday people and be willing to go after corporations and other entities who prey on those everyday people. Also many of them value things like truth and fairness.

Sure, there are exceptions to all of this - but pretty much every journalist I've ever worked with has that kind of background and cares about what happens to people, which is currently the opposite of what someone like Trump is. A person who abhors intelligence, compassion and creativity and doesn't understand why anyone would do anything that didn't directly benefit themselves.
Old 03-08-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Get out of here with this shit!
Left or Right, all of these media companies are only beholden to one thing: fucking MONEY! That's it.

And trump has been a fucking windfall for them, especially since journalism was taking a hit pre-trump.
Even though they might hate him as president, he's been their golden goose, and a president Kamala Harris isn't going to get them the clicks and eyeballs that trump does. And money is FAR more important to them than politics.

Old 03-08-19, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Get out of here with this shit!
Left or Right, all of these media companies are only beholden to one thing: fucking MONEY! That's it.

And trump has been a fucking windfall for them, especially since journalism was taking a hit pre-trump.
Even though they might hate him as president, he's been their golden goose, and a president Kamala Harris isn't going to get them the clicks and eyeballs that trump does. And money is FAR more important to them than politics.
Glad to see you're back from hiatus, as you got your routine f-word in and s-word in for every post!
Old 03-08-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that CNN and MSNBC are in the tank for the Democrats. They've just been smarter about it. It's obvious to me. Even those who I thought were adults on MSNBC, like Lawrence O'Donnell couldn't contain himself. One obvious tell was when he ridiculed Ivanka when she said that none of the emails sent by her Google account were govt business related and how it was preposterous to take her at her word.. and yet it is the same Lawrence O'Donnell who totally believed Hillary when she said that her lawyers went through her emails and those 32,000 emails were all private, non-govt business.

It isn't the only instance, but it is representative sample of the nuancing that goes on to show why they can defend Democrats and criticize Republicans.

Knowing that, I still watch MSNBC on a fairly regular basis. As far as infotainment goes, it is better than Fox News' bottom-feeding, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing approach to current events. Watching MSNBC is a mental exercise to discover how they're selectively using facts to shape their narrative. I look for the things they left out, and why.

CNN, I just can't.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.