Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

New! Improved! The 2020 Presidential Election Thread: It's Never Over! Edition

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

New! Improved! The 2020 Presidential Election Thread: It's Never Over! Edition

Old 11-14-16, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

As far as the Democrats taking the White House back in 2020--it's really quite simple: they need a candidate who can be an icon. They need someone charismatic. They need someone to inspire the best in people to counter Trump's evil je ne sais quoi. They need another FDR, a JFK, an Obama. They need someone to unite around. Someone who shows that he (or she) cares about their concerns and understands them--and hopefully follows through. That's the bottom-fucking-line. If they do anything less (like a John Kerry or a Hillary Clinton), congrats: 8 years of Trump and national (if not global Armageddon).

They better start doing talent searches immediately.

Last edited by PatD; 11-14-16 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-15-16, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: New! Improved! The 2020 Presidential Election Thread: It's Never Over! Edition

Obama divided this nation, along with his shill candidate. They need another JFK, I will agree. If their tactic is to emulate what Republicans did, they will lose. Democrats have a lot of quality people, but they need to clean house and make sure Soros isn't dictating who the representatives are going to be.

Kick Harry Reid out. Kick Pelosi out, and you might have a good start to a solid foundation for change.
Old 11-15-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: New! Improved! The 2020 Presidential Election Thread: It's Never Over! Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Obama divided this nation, along with his shill candidate.
Yup, blame the black guy and the woman for dividing the nation.
Old 11-15-16, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Obama divided this nation, along with his shill candidate. They need another JFK, I will agree. If their tactic is to emulate what Republicans did, they will lose. Democrats have a lot of quality people, but they need to clean house and make sure Soros isn't dictating who the representatives are going to be.

Kick Harry Reid out. Kick Pelosi out, and you might have a good start to a solid foundation for change.
Well, Harry kicked himself out ...
Old 11-15-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Yup, blame the black guy and the woman for dividing the nation.
At least I don't pick on old white guys who are uneducated.

<sup>2</sup>
Old 11-16-16, 04:21 AM
Banned

So, assuming that the country is still around in 2020 & that Trump runs again, why wouldn't Clinton be up for a rematch?

After all, she did actually get more popular votes, we're told, and the "glass ceiling" still remains for her to break.

Although the latter might not be so important if, say, a Nikki Haley or Susanna Martinez were to run. Would the distraught women whom we're told were devastated by Clinton's loss and the historical opportunity that was missed be as enthusiastic and excited by a GOP female candidate? Stein was actually on many state ballots, and Fiorina was a GOP primary candidate. Would either of those women have gotten the sympathy & "glass ceiling" vote had Clinton not run?

6 “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces. Matthew 7:6
Old 11-16-16, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
So, assuming that the country is still around in 2020 & that Trump runs again, why wouldn't Clinton be up for a rematch?
Cause she's gonna be in prison.
Old 11-16-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What we have here is failure to communicate.
Old 11-16-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Well I think Hillary's health as it is was a bit in question.. 4 years more isn't going to help that. Also it really depends on how Trump actually does over the next 4 years. If he does pretty well and wants to keep the job 2020 will probably be pretty easy for him. Of course the media is going to say his presidency is horrible no matter what he does but.. I think we've learned in this election.. the media doesn't control the voters. What he actually does in office will be what matters. So anyhow I think Hillary is smart enough not to waste time and whatever energy she has left if she even perceives a decent chance of another loss. Plus I think she probably feels pretty let down by her voters.
Old 11-16-16, 01:49 PM

Has the losing party ever nominated the same person four years later?
Old 11-16-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Nixon was nominated and won 8 years after losing. Not sure Hillary has that kind of time.
Old 11-16-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Cause she's gonna be in prison.
Not according to anyone who could put her there, including Trump
Old 11-16-16, 02:36 PM

As a Republican who wants trump to lose the next election, and who wants the next President to undo most of what he might accomplish, can I ask Democrats to please please not nominate Sen. Warren? Please.
Old 11-16-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Although the latter might not be so important if, say, a Nikki Haley or Susanna Martinez were to run. Would the distraught women whom we're told were devastated by Clinton's loss and the historical opportunity that was missed be as enthusiastic and excited by a GOP female candidate? Stein was actually on many state ballots, and Fiorina was a GOP primary candidate. Would either of those women have gotten the sympathy & "glass ceiling" vote had Clinton not run?
I know many women who were genuinely distraught over Clinton's loss, including my wife. I'm shocked, SHOCKED at your lack of empathy for any woman who was upset by this outcome.
Old 11-16-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I've come to the conclusion that it has very little to do with policies, at least for the Dems. They have to like their candidate and be inspired emotionally. If the Dems can find someone who does that, they have a very good chance of winning the White House because they have more registered voters.
Trump Clinton
Obama Romney
Obama McCain
Bush Kerry
Bush Gore
Clinton Dole
Clinton Bush
Bush Dukakis
Reagan Mondale
Reagan Carter

The consistent theme I see in that list is that every damn time the more charismatic candidate won (1988 being the anomaly where neither candidate was very charismatic). So, yeah, the Dems need to nominate someone who they like and inspires them, and is charismatic.
Old 11-16-16, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
As a Republican who wants trump to lose the next election, and who wants the next President to undo most of what he might accomplish, can I ask Democrats to please please not nominate Sen. Warren? Please.
To be fair, it would be fun to watch Trump "woop" and do a rain dance in the middle of a debate.
Old 11-16-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Nixon was nominated and won 8 years after losing. Not sure Hillary has that kind of time.
That was then. Now, I don't think a loser is ever going to get another shot.

(Adlai Stevenson was nominated in 1952 and 1956 and lost to Eisenhower both times. He was even in the running in 1960. He still had a pretty decent level of support. He received a huge demonstration of support when he was nominated for the nomination at the convention but, of course, did not beat out JFK.)
Old 11-16-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
That was then. Now, I don't think a loser is ever going to get another shot.
not sure that is true. we've certainly had candidates in the recent past that lost in the primaries and came back and won the nomination/presidency later: Reagan, Bush, Dole 2x before grabbing the nomination on the 3rd try, Clinton. And I think Romney would have had a chance at beating Trump this time around, too, had he run.

That said, I think the process is so grueling and so public in the internet age, that most do not want to even consider going through it again.
Old 11-16-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Poor Adlai Stevenson. How quickly America has forgotten you!

(He lost to Eisenhower in 1952 and 1956)
Old 11-16-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
not sure that is true. we've certainly had candidates in the recent past that lost in the primaries and came back and won the nomination/presidency later: Reagan, Bush, Dole 2x before grabbing the nomination on the 3rd try, Clinton. And I think Romney would have had a chance at beating Trump this time around, too, had he run.

That said, I think the process is so grueling and so public in the internet age, that most do not want to even consider going through it again.
I'm not talking about people who lost in the primaries. Just those who got their party's nomination and lost in the general.
Old 11-16-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Poor Adlai Stevenson. How quickly America has forgotten you!

(He lost to Eisenhower in 1952 and 1956)
Not all of us. See four posts up.
Old 11-16-16, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I know many women who were genuinely distraught over Clinton's loss, including my wife. I'm shocked, SHOCKED at your lack of empathy for any woman who was upset by this outcome.
Perhaps if you could explain <b>why</b> those "women" were so "distraught", it might be easier to understand.

Were you distraught in the same manner?

Would your wife have been "distraught" if <b>Carly Fiorina</b> had been nominated and lost? <b>Nikki Haley</b>? <b>Susanna Martinez</b>?

Would you have been?

If not, would you be "shocked" by your "lack of empathy?"

I can understand someone being disappointed at the outcome. But "distraught" because someone sharing your gender lost?

If you think I have lack of empathy for that sort of thinking, let me point you to some WOMEN who have a much stronger negative view (and who don't hesitate to express it) of women who engage in gender politics over principles. But then, those are strong, independent women who don't allow their gender to define them, so perhaps it's not "shocking" that they actually think that equality means that a woman accepts defeat just as a man does when stepping into the ring. They would find it highly insulting to hear that people expect them to collapse into a sobbing puddle simply because they are women and their gender lost this election. That's not the image of strong, independent women that they think is conducive to leadership. In fact, it plays into the very stereotypes that women have been fighting against.

And they would not hesitate to issue some strong statements about those supporting the Democratic platform having the gall to accuse others of "lack of empathy."

28 For the law appoints as high priests men who have weakness, but the word of the oath, which came after the law, appoints the Son who has been perfected forever. Hebrews 7:28

Last edited by creekdipper; 11-16-16 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-17-16, 05:16 AM
Banned

This may come as an extremely-disappointing revelation to Sanders' supporters & $ donors, but Sen. Sanders said last night that although he believes that there are racists, sexists, and homophobes who responded to Trump's message, he also believes that those people only made up a "<b>very small minority</b> of the people who voted for Mr. Trump."

See his statement at around the 27-minute mark from this Q & A session with E.J. Dionne following last night's speech at GW University.

Sanders appears to understand that holding Trump accountable does not mean that it's also necessary to demonize everyone who didn't vote for Clinton...and that doing so is counterproductive to the "progressive" movement.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Proverbs 9:10

Last edited by creekdipper; 11-17-16 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-17-16, 06:25 AM
Banned

Interesting analysis from thirdway.org, a think tank made up of Democrats & Republicans re: the future of the Democratic party.

http://www.thirdway.org/one-pager/ex...mocratic-party

The issue:

The dominant belief on the left is that Democrats will have a natural electoral advantage in the future based on demographic trends. Is that true?"

Our report debunks that theory and should serve as a wake-up call for those who believe demographic changes will mean dominance for Democrats. It unearths 7 illusions that underlie this perspective, and it illustrates that while the demographic makeup of the country is indeed shifting, it is not transforming us into a nation of 1960s liberals. In fact, among three key groups—Hispanic, Asian, and Millennial voters—we find that they are not predominantly liberal, their ideology is not stable, and they don’t display deep loyalty to the Democratic brand.

The illusions (listed here; discussed in detail in article):

Illusion #1: The new electorate is predominantly liberal.
Illusion #2: Millennials’ ideology will be stable over the course of their live
Illusion #3: Hispanic, Asian, and Millennial voters will remain loyal to the Democratic Party.
Illusion #4: Millennials deeply believe in and support an activist government.
Illusion #5: The culture wars are over.
Illusion #6: Hispanic and Asian voters are homogenous.
Illusion #7: The new electorate controls the presidential map.

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. Ephesians 5:11
Old 11-17-16, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do the Dems have anyone "on the bench" that is a home run? Sanders, Warren, Booker...I think all those are losers (even if Trump has a horrible first four years, incumbents are tough to beat). Andrew Cuomo maybe? I don't know enough about him to say.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.