Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-15-16, 12:47 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Islamic Terrorist Attack Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
There is a serious and dangerous problem with the younger generations these days. This applies to American males as well. An extreme disconnect with reality.

I was talking with a friend last night and I said, I don't know what happened over the last few decades, but at some point, something just broke. People are just not the same as they used to be, and within the last few decades, something has reversed meliorism and human evolution is going backward.

Then I turn on the news and all I see are people walking around, appearing like zombies, heads down, interacting with an imaginary character on their smartphones.
I know what you mean.

I blame mass communications.

I think it's too easy to get caught up in a feedback loop of rage. Facebook, twitter, blogs, social networking, websites, talk radio, 24 hour news cycle.

I don't personally know any Muslims, but a lot of the white christians I know are really fucking angry. Birth control, LGBT issues, guns (which is weird, because right now there actually more guns rights now with open carry and concealed carry than there were a few years ago, but they actually seem to believe they have fewer rights now than in the past), abortion, Obama, Trump, Mexicans, whatever.

And, on the other side, you also see the same thing with BLM.

And there's that one kid who went on a shooting spree because he couldn't get laid and embraced a bunch of MRA nonsense.

You can go online and read all of this stuff, just completely immerse yourself in this buffet of rage.

If, on the Islamic side, people are doing the same thing, immersing themselves in this blanket of anger and jihad and hate, then it shouldn't be too surprising that we're seeing stuff like Nice and Orlando.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 07-15-16, 12:51 PM   #52
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I don't believe that is who ISIS is getting to carry out suicide attacks on a regular basis. They get poor, uneducated and easily influenced youth to do that. Those they can actually sell the idea of the martyrdom.
I would put it this way:

They get poor, uneducated OR easily influenced to do that.

There have been several attackers that were well educated but there's almost always something else.. recent divorce, lost a job, etc.. they groups grab people at low points in their lives. There's extremely well educated and well to-do business people jumping off buildings and bridges all the time. These are perfect for ISIS suicide missions.

Case in point the truck guy here. Apparently he was deeply "depressed" by a recent divorce.

Still no word on if he was recruited by ISIS though..
Old 07-15-16, 12:57 PM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I would put it this way:

They get poor, uneducated OR easily influenced to do that.

There have been several attackers that were well educated but there's almost always something else.. recent divorce, lost a job, etc....
I get your point, but really, there's "something else" going on in almost everyone's lives. It's easy to analyze the life of some villain and see major issues he was dealing with; when it's somebody doing something heroic, nobody tends to look that deeply at his life problems, although he surely has them too.
Old 07-15-16, 02:46 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

It's not that hard to figure out. Modern material comforts do not address spiritual needs and never will, but a confluence of secular forces across the globe have raised a generation of areligious people that have nothing to fall back on when times are tough.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-15-16, 03:13 PM   #55
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I get your point, but really, there's "something else" going on in almost everyone's lives. It's easy to analyze the life of some villain and see major issues he was dealing with; when it's somebody doing something heroic, nobody tends to look that deeply at his life problems, although he surely has them too.
Some people respond to problems as a challenge to overcome. Other people get despondent and look for a way out. Not everyone with major problems will become a suicide bomber, just like not all people with a problem will overcome it by becoming a world class athlete or excel in whatever area the challenge is in. Most people just do their best to work past the problems. The major heroes and villains are the outliers.
Old 07-15-16, 03:29 PM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
It's not that hard to figure out. Modern material comforts do not address spiritual needs and never will, but a confluence of secular forces across the globe have raised a generation of areligious people that have nothing to fall back on when times are tough.
Good points.

In addition, there is also more outward blame for a person's problems, justified and validated by religious leaders and politicians...seemingly making the person free to commit atrocious acts without ethical and moral superiority.
Old 07-18-16, 02:54 AM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
That doesn't mean they have "lives" and opportunities. And I never said "uneducated" or "poor". You're conflicting two different things. If anything, these are the ones that have higher expectations than someone who's always been destitute, and therefore will be more disappointed at their position and will want to lash out more when they can't get something going. If anything, you've proven my point.
It's hard to imagine what I could have written that *wouldn't* prove your point, since you get to make up your own definitions (e.g., who has a "life") as well as invent motivations for terrorism that you have absolutely zero supporting evidence for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I don't believe that is who ISIS is getting to carry out suicide attacks on a regular basis. They get poor, uneducated and easily influenced youth to do that. Those they can actually sell the idea of the martyrdom.
ISIS is probably too new for much reliable data to be available, and it's possible that online recruitment is changing the equation. But up to now, the claim that suicide bombers are poor/uneducated/crazy has been pretty conclusively shown to be a myth, based on analysis of suicide bombers in Israel and Europe.

A suicide bomber is not a remote-controlled drone. He (or she) actually needs exercise judgment, sometimes on the spur of the moment. He needs to be able to blend into the general population, which often involves proficiency in additional languages. He also needs to be adept at multi-stage planning. The cost of a failed attack is high for a terror group and they tend to avoid assigning important missions to the stupid or unstable. Like I said, the ISIS model may end up changing the paradigm, but at the very least it's been clearly established that education and belief in martyrdom are in no way mutually exclusive.
Old 07-22-16, 12:35 PM   #58
DVD Talk Ruler

Mall shooting in Germany happening now.

Wrong thread? Maybe.
Old 07-22-16, 12:49 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

It's over.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/22/europe...ing/index.html
Old 07-22-16, 01:18 PM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

Some reports saying 15 dead:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ge...-idUSKCN1021YZ

Although the reporting for things like this is often wildly inaccurate early on...
Old 07-22-16, 01:36 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

I read 1 dead and 10 injured.
Old 07-22-16, 02:06 PM   #62
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still going on, police don't know where shooter(s) is. Some Twitter/FB video floating around of police and shooter on roof, and video of shots fired at McDonald's across the street.
Old 07-22-16, 02:18 PM   #63
DVD Talk Ruler

At lease 3 "confirmed" dead. Although.. I really don't believe the media anymore when they say "confirmed" because I don't think it means what they think it means.
Old 07-22-16, 02:20 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

I'm hearing that there are multiple shooters, and police have told people in Munich to stay away from ALL public spaces.
Old 07-22-16, 02:41 PM   #65
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This has not been related to terrorism yet, and there have been plenty of mass shootings having nothing to do with Islamism.

But given the recent ISIS attacks on soft targets where civilians gather I have my suspicions.
Old 07-22-16, 02:57 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
At lease 3 "confirmed" dead. Although.. I really don't believe the media anymore when they say "confirmed" because I don't think it means what they think it means.
It usually means that an official told them there are 3 people dead. That could certainly change when all is said and done. It's not like the reporters are running around inside the mall checking pulses.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 07-22-16, 03:03 PM   #67
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Wait, are you saying we need more religion? In a thread about religious terrorist attacks? Am I in bizarro world?
Old 07-22-16, 03:13 PM   #68
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It usually means that an official told them there are 3 people dead. That could certainly change when all is said and done. It's not like the reporters are running around inside the mall checking pulses.
Yep I know. But like last week or whenever it was it was "confirmed" there were "multiple shooters" but it turned out to be just one. It makes the word meaningless. They should get some confirmations of their confirmation.
Old 07-22-16, 03:16 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Wait, are you saying we need more religion? In a thread about religious terrorist attacks? Am I in bizarro world?
A Bizarro world where because some people can't get by without being told what to do and feel by a religion, then it must be true for everybody.

Ummmm, no.
Old 07-22-16, 03:16 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Regardless of what one thinks of Christian teachings or theology, if you don't understand the historical connection between the collapse of Christianity in Western Europe and the rise of Islam over the last half-century, you're just not paying attention.

Those old stupid, intolerant European Christians who believed that Christianity was true and good and Islam was false and bad? They're long gone.
Old 07-22-16, 03:18 PM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yep I know. But like last week or whenever it was it was "confirmed" there were "multiple shooters" but it turned out to be just one. It makes the word meaningless. They should get some confirmations of their confirmation.
In the new world where groups like TMZ are used as a source the idea of checking and confirming facts with second (or third sources) BEFORE reporting is completely lost on them.
Old 07-22-16, 03:20 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

And let's keep in mind this is the same German media that covered up the hundreds of sexual assaults on German women by Muslim men this last New Years.
Old 07-22-16, 03:36 PM   #73
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
In the new world where groups like TMZ are used as a source the idea of checking and confirming facts with second (or third sources) BEFORE reporting is completely lost on them.
Yeah..sadly you are correct.

Now it is being regurgitated that 6 are dead..
Old 07-22-16, 04:05 PM   #74
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, the rise in religious violence and hatred is because of atheism? Seriously, I'm trying to understand this logic.
Old 07-22-16, 04:18 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

If this was targeting a shopping mall, I'm guessing Islamic terrorism, but I think at some point we're going to start seeing more similarly violent attacks from far-right groups (like Brevik's), as a prelude to some degree of civil war in Europe (which I believe is almost unavoidable at this point.)