Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-14-16, 09:17 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Islamic Terrorist Attack Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
The FBI said that they could find no conclusive evidence that the killer was gay or was ever on any gay dating sites or apps.
It's too much. I can't keep up anymore.
Old 07-14-16, 09:24 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

If ISIS claims it, they own it.
Well no. ISIS claims responsibility in order to attract more followers, whether they had anything to do with an attack or not. In the later case(s), I don't see how ISIS is responsible unless you are using an odd definition of "responsible" I'm not familiar with.
Old 07-14-16, 09:38 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
There we go with the generalization again.

It's not the whole planet, it's only a tiny fraction of the humans that inhabit it.

Most people are decent. Not very bright, but decent.
Yeah, but it just seems that all these decent people keep getting dragged down by the others. And no one can offer a solution other than to hope it just gets better or to go on the offensive. So far neither has worked.

We're in this world for the blink of an eye. You would think people would have better things to do with that time than let festering hatred consume them like this.
Old 07-14-16, 09:38 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
This what happens to people who have zero opportunities in life
Except for the ones who are doctors, or engineers, or come from wealthy families, or....
Old 07-14-16, 09:41 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

We're in this world for the blink of an eye.
Exactly, whereas the next world lasts an eternity. So the choice is completely rational.
Old 07-14-16, 10:44 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
No.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork View Post
Except for the ones who are doctors, or engineers, or come from wealthy families, or....
I don't think any of those, who have lives, actually go through with a suicidal act, even if they might believe in it.

Quote:
If ISIS claims it, they own it.
Is that how it works?
Well shit! I claim to be a descendant of Howard Hughes. Where's my inheritance!
Old 07-14-16, 10:47 PM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Well no. ISIS claims responsibility in order to attract more followers, whether they had anything to do with an attack or not. In the later case(s), I don't see how ISIS is responsible unless you are using an odd definition of "responsible" I'm not familiar with.
How do we know for certain if ISIS is responsible for anything?

Maybe they are just a disgruntled offshoot of Girl Scout Cookie clubs.

Common sense. If ISIS says they are responsible, and it is reported, then I go with it unless it's clearly obvious they are not responsible. Like an abortion clinic bombing in the US, and the man is a white male, who lives on a farm.

ISIS has certain characteristics and methods of their attacks, and this is also taken under consideration.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 07-14-16, 10:51 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

Ok well, it's your thread.
Old 07-14-16, 10:52 PM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
These characteristics are the trademarks...of an Islamic Terrorist (and even other religious terrorists): Homophobic. Racist. Abusive. Violent. Controlling. Frequently putting one's religion over any other religion and commenting about committing acts of violence to prove that point..as well as sanctioning attacks that happen around the world from other terrorist groups who are aligned in thought.

A person who is just homophobic does not call 911, or their local ISIS representative, and proclaim allegiance.

So, I agree with Pharoh. It's NO.

At least in this thread.

Old 07-14-16, 10:53 PM   #35
Admin-Self Banned

Heartbroken once again. I don't have any words. Just horrendous.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 07-14-16, 10:58 PM   #36
Admin-Self Banned

That fact that we need this thread is just so fucked.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 07-15-16, 01:51 AM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Honestly, you're not going to be able to keep up.

When it doesn't involve white Westerners, it doesn't make the news over here, and nobody cares. Here's the real state of affairs:

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/a...aspx?Yr=Last30
That list paints a very frightening picture of how it's open season on Christians in Muslim countries.

This just occurred in the past week:

"A female pastor is hacked to death by Muslim radicals who left her severed head on a Bible."

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-15-16, 02:37 AM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I don't think any of those, who have lives, actually go through with a suicidal act, even if they might believe in it.
Mohamed Atta did graduate study in architecture. All told, eight of the 9/11 hijackers were engineers. Many of the others were also college-educated and/or from wealthy backgrounds.

Umar Abdulmutallab's father is one of the richest men in Africa.

At least two of the 7/7 bombers have college degrees.

Syed Farook was educated (even some grad school) and gainfully employed.

I could go on but there's no need, since numerous studies have concluded that jihadis tend to come from the better-educated and wealthier segments of their societies.
Old 07-15-16, 07:27 AM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

That website doesn't differentiate much. I think there is a significant difference between a bomb in a market, soldiers killed by Al Qaeda, and people executed by a court.
Old 07-15-16, 11:14 AM   #40
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I could go on but there's no need, since numerous studies have concluded that jihadis tend to come from the better-educated and wealthier segments of their societies.
That doesn't mean they have "lives" and opportunities. And I never said "uneducated" or "poor". You're conflicting two different things. If anything, these are the ones that have higher expectations than someone who's always been destitute, and therefore will be more disappointed at their position and will want to lash out more when they can't get something going. If anything, you've proven my point.
Old 07-15-16, 11:20 AM   #41
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...cb2_story.html

Quote:
A 68-year-old neighbor who declined to be identified beyond his first name, Mohamed, said he had seen the suspected assailant in the apartment complex and believed that he had a wife and three children. But that was not confirmed.

Mohamed, who said he had immigrated to France from Tunisia in 1966, heaped scorn on young immigrants and children of immigrants who have carried out terrorist attacks in his country over the past two years. “They’re just insane,” he said.

Coming to France as a young man, he said, had been “hard but not too hard. We were extremely badly treated — we had no housing, there was no support for Arabs, and we lived like dogs. But we did things for France.
This is what stands out to me. You have a wave of immigrants (not all of course) who are just so hateful of when they get to their destination, versus immigrants coming to other countries several decades ago who had a much different take on their new home, regardless of how shitty it was.

Because the option was death and torture if they stayed in their wonderful homeland, carried out by their proud and friendly peers.

There is a serious and dangerous problem with the younger generations these days. This applies to American males as well. An extreme disconnect with reality.

I was talking with a friend last night and I said, I don't know what happened over the last few decades, but at some point, something just broke. People are just not the same as they used to be, and within the last few decades, something has reversed meliorism and human evolution is going backward.

Then I turn on the news and all I see are people walking around, appearing like zombies, heads down, interacting with an imaginary character on their smartphones.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-15-16 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 11:38 AM   #42
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
That list paints a very frightening picture of how it's open season on Christians in Muslim countries.

This just occurred in the past week:

"A female pastor is hacked to death by Muslim radicals who left her severed head on a Bible."
Um, it would be a pretty good idea if you are non Muslim to get out of Muslim countries.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 07-15-16, 11:42 AM   #43
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Mohamed Atta did graduate study in architecture. All told, eight of the 9/11 hijackers were engineers. Many of the others were also college-educated and/or from wealthy backgrounds.

Umar Abdulmutallab's father is one of the richest men in Africa.

At least two of the 7/7 bombers have college degrees.

Syed Farook was educated (even some grad school) and gainfully employed.

I don't believe that is who ISIS is getting to carry out suicide attacks on a regular basis. They get poor, uneducated and easily influenced youth to do that. Those they can actually sell the idea of the martyrdom.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 07-15-16, 11:43 AM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Um, it would be a pretty good idea if you are non Muslim to get out of Muslim countries.
Why?
Old 07-15-16, 11:59 AM   #45
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I don't believe that is who ISIS is getting to carry out suicide attacks on a regular basis. They get poor, uneducated and easily influenced youth to do that. Those they can actually sell the idea of the martyrdom.
I kind of agree with you but also dork. I think it's a tiered situation, depending on the level of planning and expertise in an attack. There are just so many variables, but what comes up is more to do with availability of the terrorist...and just opportunity of the moment.

You have attacks that are branched, meaning you have affiliates in other countries who are willing and ready to carry out attacks with whatever arms and materials they can get their hands on.

Then you have actual ISIS-trained combatants who are sent to the locations throughout the world (preferably kept within close range) to facilitate a large amount of casualties.

Then you have some attacks which take years to plan. So you have this multi-threaded and overlapping impending attack of variations. Attacks are so situational and opportunistic on a case by case basis...but also can be so drastically planned.

9/11 was a sophisticated attack, but even OBL said he had no idea on the amount of damage he was going to cause. I specifically remember him slowly bringing his hands up to his face, closing them, and giving them a kiss saying, "may god be praised. I had no idea we would do them so much damage."

He didn't think the towers would fall. And he and his associates did analysis on the buildings being attacked. OBL was extremely experienced in how buildings were constructed. He had a civil engineering degree and his family was in the construction business.

9/11 involved training to takeover planes, fly them, and simultaneous actions of doing this because it was known once the attacks initiated, they would be shot down immediately and the US would be in virtual lockdown.

So, it depends on the leader, and the leader within a local area and their availability of attackers. Sometimes you will get smart and intelligent men and women, sometimes you will not. Depending on the geographic areas of the attacks, it could be you will find more "academic" attackers.

Old 07-15-16, 12:31 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Funny, I feel the same way about Jews in my neighborhood. It would be a good idea if they got the hell out.

Now how is your statement any better than mine?
Old 07-15-16, 12:32 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that.
Old 07-15-16, 12:34 PM   #48
Time Lord

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...cb2_story.html

This is what stands out to me. You have a wave of immigrants (not all of course) who are just so hateful of when they get to their destination, versus immigrants coming to other countries several decades ago who had a much different take on their new home, regardless of how shitty it was.

Because the option was death and torture if they stayed in their wonderful homeland, carried out by their proud and friendly peers.

There is a serious and dangerous problem with the younger generations these days. This applies to American males as well. An extreme disconnect with reality.

I was talking with a friend last night and I said, I don't know what happened over the last few decades, but at some point, something just broke. People are just not the same as they used to be, and within the last few decades, something has reversed meliorism and human evolution is going backward.

Then I turn on the news and all I see are people walking around, appearing like zombies, heads down, interacting with an imaginary character on their smartphones.
This explains so much.

About you, not the world.
Old 07-15-16, 12:38 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Quote:
Aaaand vice versa?

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 07-15-16, 12:42 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Funny, I feel the same way about Jews in my neighborhood. It would be a good idea if they got the hell out.

Now how is your statement any better than mine?
The context is important. Is your neighborhood the USA in 2016 or Berlin after Kristallnacht? One is a declaration of intolerance, but the other is a recommendation to save their lives.

Given Polizei's feelings about Muslim culture, I think that he means something like the latter.