Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Dallas Police Shootings

Old 07-13-16, 11:13 AM
  #251  
DVD Talk Legend
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 10,917
Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
It's an interesting picture .. the idea of whose life is worth more. Hasn't the court already had a say in this sort of thing? In civil suits for wrongful death, doesn't the court have to figure out how much a life was "worth" and assign monetary damages? If all lives were worth the same, wouldn't the court always give the same amount?
Old 07-13-16, 11:18 AM
  #252  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,073
Received 291 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
They've essentially dropped the "too". Look at any of the reset protests.. You won't find it. It's not on the signs, on the shirts, etc.. There's been a definite shift in the movement and it's really kind of a shame because I thought it was doing quite well until the violence and now the shift that just borders on straight racism.
That's not what the meme is saying. "too" has never been a part of the "Black Lives Matter" slogan. What the meme is saying is "it means Black Lives Matter too," not "Black Lives Matter More."

Which I didn't think seemed very unclear.
Old 07-13-16, 11:29 AM
  #253  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 39,755
Received 775 Likes on 501 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
That's not what the meme is saying. "too" has never been a part of the "Black Lives Matter" slogan. What the meme is saying is "it means Black Lives Matter too," not "Black Lives Matter More."

Which I didn't think seemed very unclear.
It's not. It's never been unclear. The "All Lives Matter" people just can't understand what "Black Lives Matter" has always been saying.

The supporting different kinds of cancer example was the easiest one for me to understand. You don't kick in the door at a breast cancer benefit and scream "ALL CANCERS MATTER!"
Old 07-13-16, 11:35 AM
  #254  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Save the whales doesn't mean go fuck yourself dolphins, supporting the troops doesn't mean civilians are unimportant, as Draven said trying to cure cancer doesn't mean heart disease will get ignored.

Also, if all lives matter, how about helping the poor, the disenfranchised, Sryian refugees? Or do people who say "all lives matter" really mean "fuck you I've got mine".
Old 07-13-16, 11:46 AM
  #255  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 27,412
Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Save the whales doesn't mean go fuck yourself dolphins, supporting the troops doesn't mean civilians are unimportant, as Draven said trying to cure cancer doesn't mean heart disease will get ignored.

Also, if all lives matter, how about helping the poor, the disenfranchised, Sryian refugees? Or do people who say "all lives matter" really mean "fuck you I've got mine".

That last sentiment certainly seems one espoused by most Americans, the
all livers matter" and the "black lives matter" folks equally.


Unless we really weren't supposed to care about the Syrian lives until they became refugees?
Old 07-13-16, 11:51 AM
  #256  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,620
Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Funny that whenever minorities, homosexuals or women do something to demand equal rights, they are accused by their detractors of wanting special rights.
Equal rights are not special! If everyone had them BLM, ACT UP, NOW, etc. would not exist.
Old 07-13-16, 12:30 PM
  #257  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,544
Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It's not. It's never been unclear. The "All Lives Matter" people just can't understand what "Black Lives Matter" has always been saying.

The supporting different kinds of cancer example was the easiest one for me to understand. You don't kick in the door at a breast cancer benefit and scream "ALL CANCERS MATTER!"
If Breast Cancer funding is getting 2x the money that Prostate Cancer gets per affected person, then maybe someone might barge into these fundraisers and try to make it clear that All Cancers Matter! Actually this may have already happened.

I have no issue at all with Black Lives Matter and their tactics. My only real concern is that there are enough cases of blatant racist behavior that they really shouldn't need to rally around thugs like Michael Brown who by all accounts punched a cop, tried to take his gun, and did not ever utter the words "Don't shoot" with his hands up.
Old 07-13-16, 12:36 PM
  #258  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 38,909
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I think George has been hitting the bottle again.
Old 07-13-16, 12:42 PM
  #259  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,754
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Bush is prone to busting a move when he's around black people

Unlike Obama.
Old 07-13-16, 01:41 PM
  #260  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 61,022
Received 903 Likes on 607 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Funny that whenever minorities, homosexuals or women do something to demand equal rights, they are accused by their detractors of wanting special rights.
Equal rights are not special! If everyone had them BLM, ACT UP, NOW, etc. would not exist.
THIS x10,000,000

Exactly!!!! Then they try to make the ones wanting something feel like they are in the wrong!!!
Old 07-13-16, 01:42 PM
  #261  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,754
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

At least 3 young Black males have broken into a local Baton Rouge pawn shop. Stole guns. Stated they were on a mission to kill cops. BOLO issued.

I suppose if these punks are shooting at cops and are killed...this is yet more proof of the Law Enforcement Conspiracy.
Old 07-13-16, 01:45 PM
  #262  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 61,022
Received 903 Likes on 607 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Unlike Obama.
That's because Michelle is the dancer in that family.
Old 07-13-16, 01:47 PM
  #263  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,767
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

thats the main problem with BLM... the name itself. people dont understand that there is more meaning behind it than just BLM.
Old 07-13-16, 01:49 PM
  #264  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,754
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
That's because Michelle is the dancer in that family.
I won't disagree with that.
Old 07-13-16, 01:53 PM
  #265  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 61,022
Received 903 Likes on 607 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
thats the main problem with BLM... the name itself. people dont understand that there is more meaning behind it than just BLM.
But... people have been explaining it ad nauseam. In the news, in interviews, in articles, in dvdtalk posts, etc. Over and over...post after post... explaining what it means and what it DOESN'T mean.

At this point anti-BLM folks here and in the public are simply ignoring the meaning and putting out a false narrative to further shit on the cause.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-13-16 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 01:58 PM
  #266  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 39,755
Received 775 Likes on 501 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
If Breast Cancer funding is getting 2x the money that Prostate Cancer gets per affected person, then maybe someone might barge into these fundraisers and try to make it clear that All Cancers Matter! Actually this may have already happened.
The point is that if a group focuses on one issue (breast cancer/black lives), it doesn't mean they are automatically saying that other things(all cancers/lives) are not important too.
Old 07-13-16, 02:07 PM
  #267  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,767
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
But... people have been explaining it ad nauseam. In the news, in interviews, in articles in dvdtalk posts, etc. Over and over...post after post... explaining what it means and what it DOESN'T mean.

At this point anti-BLM folks here and in the public are simply ignoring the meaning and putting out a false narrative to further shit on the cause.

totally i get that but some dont see it that way. Not to mention, those protesting dont even understand it.
Old 07-13-16, 02:11 PM
  #268  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,754
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The point is that if a group focuses on one issue (breast cancer/black lives), it doesn't mean they are automatically saying that other things(all cancers/lives) are not important too.
I agree. The problem is when a group and their actions...which negate their name and taint it.
Old 07-13-16, 02:39 PM
  #269  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
But... people have been explaining it ad nauseam. In the news, in interviews, in articles in dvdtalk posts, etc. Over and over...post after post... explaining what it means and what it DOESN'T mean.

At this point anti-BLM folks here and in the public are simply ignoring the meaning and putting out a false narrative to further shit on the cause.
Maybe they need a new name. It's generating confusion on all sides. People are actually spending more time debating and explaining the name then discussing the issue.

Verdict: Shitty Name.
Old 07-13-16, 02:43 PM
  #270  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Maybe they need a new name. It's generating confusion on all sides. People are actually spending more time debating and explaining the name then discussing the issue.

Verdict: Shitty Name.
"Black Lives Matter". Seems pretty self-explanatory. It's not the fault of the movement that white people keep adding "Only" to the beginning of that phrase, when it clearly isn't there, and then complaining about it.
Old 07-13-16, 02:50 PM
  #271  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

See you just did it again.
Old 07-13-16, 02:52 PM
  #272  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,620
Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

White People - We are not only the deciders of what others should or should not be offended by, but also the deciders of what activist movements should name themselves.

Some people even have the gall to call BLM a terrorist organization.

Can't wait for them to arm themselves and take over a national wildlife refuge.

Last edited by inri222; 07-13-16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 03:34 PM
  #273  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,754
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Somehow I just don't see a BLM protest involving a geographic area that contains cows and horses.

But I do see a group that, on regularity, being within a few miles of a KFC and McDonald's.
Old 07-13-16, 03:38 PM
  #274  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,754
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
White People - We are not only the deciders of what others should or should not be offended by, but also the deciders of what activist movements should name themselves.
Obama (and Hillary, too) - I am not only the decider of what others should or should not be offended by, but also the deciders of what groups should be named and which groups should be omitted.
Old 07-13-16, 03:42 PM
  #275  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,917
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Dallas Police Shootings

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
But... people have been explaining it ad nauseam. In the news, in interviews, in articles in dvdtalk posts, etc. Over and over...post after post... explaining what it means and what it DOESN'T mean.

At this point anti-BLM folks here and in the public are simply ignoring the meaning and putting out a false narrative to further shit on the cause.
A whole lotta people in this country don't do nuance.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.