Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-23-16, 11:43 AM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Christian Idea Exchange

I've been thinking for a long time that a thread devoted to sharing ideas & debating theology might be interesting, especially after exchanging ideas informally with other DVDTalkers. We already have a "bashing" thread for those so inclined, which our non-theist members readily make good use of.

The purpose of this thread is for Christians to share with each other, whether it be doctrine, prayer requests, sermon links, favorite hymns, discussion of Christian media, worship practices, whatever. Theological debates would also be interesting.

Of course, non-Christians would be welcome to comment & ask questions, especially seeing as how this is an open forum. I'd hope that there could be similar threads for non-theists and other religions to connect with like-minded forum members. I'd certainly be interested in reading posts from other religions or non-theists. Hopefully, those inclined to "bash" would head to the appropriate threads already established to fulfill that psychological need.

I'll lead off with the introductory sermons to a series on Romans that our pastor recently began. I had never realized that Romans encapsulates the entirety of the Bible's message from the fall to redemption, as well as offering how we are to live. We're about six weeks into the series...the latest sermon "Vile Passions: Homosexuality and Other Sins" was a tempting place to start posting due to its provocative title, but best to start at the beginning.

Sermon 1: Romans 1-8 Overview. http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...ID=28161454459

Sermon 2: Romans 9-16 Overview. http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...ID=21416135285

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-23-16 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-23-16, 11:53 AM   #2
DVD Talk God

Re: Christian Idea Exchange

Paul sucks.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 03-23-16, 11:55 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Paul sucks.
Care to elaborate?
Old 03-23-16, 12:19 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

While you're gathering your thoughts, might I point out that Jesus said that His words were the words of the Father, and Jesus authorized the apostles to preach in His name (saying that their words were to be regarded as His), and the apostles affirmed the authority of Paul...

that means that Paul (just as Jesus and the apostles) are speaking for God.

That is, unless one simply cuts out everything (including the words of Jesus) which doesn't suit one's own notions...which doesn't leave any authoritative teaching (even for those who only regard the words of Jesus as having any validity) in the scriptures.

Isn't that a logical conclusion?

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-23-16 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 01:00 PM   #5
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

If Jesus gave the apostles authority to preach in His name, how did that give the apostles the authority to give the same authority to Paul? I'm not being glib, I'm seriously curious. I've heard of apostolic succession when it comes to Bishops in the Catholic and Episcopalian churches, but I'm sure that's not the same thing, as today's Bishops certainly aren't considered to have the same authority to speak on behalf of Jesus as the apostles were.
Old 03-23-16, 01:46 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

What's the deal with this new movie where the girl falls out of a tree and it cures her terminal illness? Is it purporting to be based on a true story?
Old 03-23-16, 01:49 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Paul sucks.
And his church in Rome isn't as cool as Peter's.
Old 03-23-16, 01:51 PM   #8
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I also have a question re: the forum Christians' perspective on religious pluralism, i.e., the idea that there is more than one path to the Truth, and that non-Christians who devoutly follow other religious traditions can reach heaven (or at least some version of it). I've always thought that, if you're a Christian, you believe that the only way to salvation was through Christ. John 14:6. However, more recently when I've broached the subject with friends who are Christian, they waiver and refuse to say that other religions are "wrong." If Christianity is the only way to salvation, and thus is the only true religion, the others all have to be wrong, correct?

Last edited by Bandoman; 03-23-16 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
What's the deal with this new movie where the girl falls out of a tree and it cures her terminal illness? Is it purporting to be based on a true story?
'Miracles From Heaven': Near-Fatal Fall Cures Sick Little Girl's Symptoms
Old 03-23-16, 02:01 PM   #10
DVD Talk Godfather

Why does God have such an issue with Homosexuality?
Old 03-23-16, 02:06 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Paul was like the original Christian DJ. I don't mean a DJ at like a wedding or something, I mean a DJ with fans and a following. He toured around and he played back all the old stuff, but he mixed it and scratched it and did his own thing with it.
Old 03-23-16, 02:20 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
I also have a question re: the forum Christians' perspective on religious pluralism, i.e., the idea that there is more than one path to the Truth, and that non-Christians who devoutly follow other religious traditions can reach heaven (or at least some version of it). I've always thought that, if you're a Christian, you believe that the only way to salvation was through Christ. John 14:6. However, more recently when I've broached the subject with friends who are Christian, they waiver and refuse to say that other religions are "wrong." If Christianity is the only way to salvation, and thus is the only true religion, the others all have to be wrong, correct?
Well, logically speaking, Christians don't have to believe that all other religions are wrong through and through, and can recognize that Christianity and other religions share many truths. But yes, in specific areas where Christianity says one thing, and another religion says something different, then a Christian believes Christianity is right and the other is wrong.

As far as salvation, there has been a wide range of beliefs within Christianity as far as who can be saved. I think most Christians believe that you cannot be saved THROUGH another religion.

In my own view, I hold out that while being a practicing Christian is your best chance for salvation, Jesus' mercy may also extend to people who don't identify as Christian. However, I feel it's kind of pointless for humans to spend too much time on this, as God's judgment on the matter is perfect, and a human's perspective can't be.
Old 03-23-16, 03:00 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Good question. And if it's so important, why isn't it in the ten commandments?
Old 03-23-16, 03:27 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Good question.

My question, that never gets answered, is why are Christians so obsessed with guns?
Old 03-23-16, 03:33 PM   #15
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
The way I used to rationalize/understand it when I believed was that homosexuality was really no different than any other unrepentant sin. God wants a certain standard of behavior (not stealing, only having married heterosexual sex, etc) and that living a lifestyle embracing said sin was living your entire life in rebellion to god's command. So a homosexual who practiced it was the same as a professional thief, etc etc. And for the inevitable argument of why did God create people with homosexual preferences or other 'sinful' predispositions, it's all part of His plan and we are just supposed to power through those feelings with God's help and be abstinent/not steal/etc.
Old 03-23-16, 03:58 PM   #16
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
While you're gathering your thoughts, might I point out that Jesus said that His words were the words of the Father, and Jesus authorized the apostles to preach in His name (saying that their words were to be regarded as His), and the apostles affirmed the authority of Paul...

that means that Paul (just as Jesus and the apostles) are speaking for God.

That is, unless one simply cuts out everything (including the words of Jesus) which doesn't suit one's own notions...which doesn't leave any authoritative teaching (even for those who only regard the words of Jesus as having any validity) in the scriptures.

Isn't that a logical conclusion?
I was actually just pooing on the thread as the first post that wasn't suppose to be about fighting.

However, conversely, we do know that there are inauthentic verses in the bible, the ending of Mark being the most famous. If one person were to pick and choose what to believe, how would that be different than people that take it all as gospel if parts are not authentic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Good question.

My question, that never gets answered, is why are Christians so obsessed with guns?
That's likely just perspective because what you view as Christians probably get more attention than those peace loving Methodists, etc. I was in a very evangelical, YEC church, and I never heard anyone speak of guns nor do I know of anyone that had any, though I'm sure plenty did just because it is the country.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 03-23-16, 04:07 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That's likely just perspective because what you view as Christians probably get more attention than those peace loving Methodists, etc. I was in a very evangelical, YEC church, and I never heard anyone speak of guns nor do I know of anyone that had any, though I'm sure plenty did just because it is the country.
Not really just perspective. "God and Guns" is mentioned hand in hand constantly in this country like peanut butter and jelly. And it isn't atheists that perpetuate this stereotype.
Old 03-23-16, 04:26 PM   #18
DVD Talk God

Well, maybe just a difference between the deep South and the Pacific NW, then. We have plenty of people who love their guns, but I'd tend to categorize them as Republicans, hicks, rednecks, or something else, but Christian wouldn't come to mind as an adjective for them.

Just searched and there is a Skynyrd song called "God & Guns." They are much bigger in the South, aren't they?

― Carl Sagan
Old 03-23-16, 04:54 PM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

"Lord of the Dance" is the best hymn and all the rest of them can suck it.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 03-23-16, 04:56 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

I prophesy that this thread will not end well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Good question. And if it's so important, why isn't it in the ten commandments?
Because there was only so much room on the tablet. Divorce is pretty important too and THAT is not in the 10 commandments either.

The 10 Commandments do not comprise the details of God's law, but it summaries it.
Old 03-23-16, 05:15 PM   #21
DVD Talk God

So the Golden Rule is a summary of a summary.

― Carl Sagan
Old 03-23-16, 05:52 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

In war who are the good guys and who are the bad guys? Do the good guys get a free pass by god to kill?
Old 03-23-16, 06:01 PM   #23
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Not really just perspective. "God and Guns" is mentioned hand in hand constantly in this country like peanut butter and jelly. And it isn't atheists that perpetuate this stereotype.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...daf_story.html

Quote:
The Second Amendment is approved by God. This, at least, appears to be the argument on the home page of the Christian Gun Owner Web site. It goes like this: The authors of the Constitution were acting under the guidance of God, therefore the Constitution is itself inspired by God. This argument is a subset of the bigger “American exceptionalism” worldview. God has special things in store for this country, and its founding documents bear the imprint of that specialness.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-23-16 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 06:26 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Just searched and there is a Skynyrd song called "God & Guns." They are much bigger in the South, aren't they?
These are the first two stanzas and the chorus...might explain the connection.

"God & Guns"

Last night I heard this politician
Talking 'bout his brand new mission
Liked his plans, but they came undone when he got around with God and guns

I don't know how he grew up
But it sure wasn't down at the hunting club
Cause if it was he'd understand a little bit more about the working man

God and guns
Keep us strong
That's what this country
Was founded on
Well we might as well give up and run
If we let them take our God and guns

Seems pretty clear that the tunesmith's idea is that (a) the country was founded on religious beliefs & liberty protected by firearms and (b) some politicians are threatening both.

Of course, the classic Skynyrd lineup also recorded these lyrics:

Mr. Saturday night special
Got a barrel that's blue and cold
Ain't good for nothin'
But put a man six feet in a hole

(This isn't exactly what I had in mind when creating the thread, btw. )
Old 03-23-16, 06:38 PM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
If Jesus gave the apostles authority to preach in His name, how did that give the apostles the authority to give the same authority to Paul? I'm not being glib, I'm seriously curious. I've heard of apostolic succession when it comes to Bishops in the Catholic and Episcopalian churches, but I'm sure that's not the same thing, as today's Bishops certainly aren't considered to have the same authority to speak on behalf of Jesus as the apostles were.
Luke 10:16: "The one who listens to you listens to Me, and the one who rejects you rejects Me; and he who rejects Me rejects the One who sent Me."

Now, if you are authorized to speak for the King, then your words are to obeyed just as if they came directly from the King, right? They are given the same weight as if they came from the King's own lips.

When the apostles were preaching divine revelation, there was no existing New Testament (and you & I have had conversations before about how the canon was established and why certain writings were included and others rejected, as the James White book explains). The apostles were not only authorized to preach (and perform miracles such as healing to attest to their authority), they were commanded to do so. And when the special revelation was complete and sufficient for all, there was a special warning given not to add or take away from what God has revealed. Thus, there is no need for any "new" revelation.