Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2016 One and Only Abortion Thread

Old 03-08-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2016 One and Only Abortion Thread

This could have been worse.

Missouri Man Attempts to Burn Down Planned Parenthood Clinic With Molotov Cocktail, Gallons Of Gasoline

https://www.newsweek.com/palnned-par...kaster-1351776
Old 03-08-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
This could have been worse.

Missouri Man Attempts to Burn Down Planned Parenthood Clinic With Molotov Cocktail, Gallons Of Gasoline

https://www.newsweek.com/palnned-par...kaster-1351776
It's always men, isn't it?
Old 03-08-19, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
So an anti-abortion activist tried to burn down a health clinic where no abortions are performed? Guy's not just an asshole, he's an idiot too.
Old 03-08-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just planning on celebrating International Womens’ Day with a terrorist attack on a women’s health clinic.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-09-19 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 05:37 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
So an anti-abortion activist tried to burn down a health clinic where no abortions are performed? Guy's not just an asshole, he's an idiot too.
I wish articles were this concise and to the point.

Agree on both counts.
Old 03-10-19, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Coercing women into abortions?...yeah...a good percentage I'd assume...
Old 03-10-19, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Women can decide on our own. No coercion is necessary.
Old 03-10-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Man sues abortion clinic after teenage girlfriend terminates pregnancy

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. —An Alabama judge has approved a wrongful death lawsuit filed by a 21-year-old man on behalf of an aborted embryo.

AL.com reported Wednesday that Ryan Magers is calling the 6-week-old embryo “Baby Roe” in his suit seeking damages from the Alabama Women’s Center for Reproductive Alternatives.

Magers was 19 and the girl was 16 when he said he “pleaded” with her not get an abortion. Her parents say it was her decision to take the abortion pill.

The case was made possible by Madison County Probate Judge Frank Barger, who ruled that Magers could represent the estate of his ex-girlfriend’s aborted embryo.

Magers’ attorney, Brent Helms of Albertville, said the decision gives legitimacy to the lawsuit.

"It gives more legs to the lawsuit and it's also pretty monumental because it's the first time a probate court has opened an estate for an aborted baby," Helms told AL.com on Tuesday. "It does establish some precedent in that it recognizes that an aborted baby is a person. I guess that would be the significance of the opening of the estate."

Alabama voters approved an amendment last year declaring “the importance of unborn life.”

“In this case, it is significant because it is the basis of this lawsuit, which is based on this Amendment 2, which is basically at conception, you’re a person,” Huntsville attorney Mark McDaniel said. “So it has significance certainly in this case. It is saying this 6-week-old (fetus) has rights and they filed a wrongful death action. It wouldn’t stand under Roe v. Wade or Planned Parenthood v. Casey but under Amendment 2 of the Alabama Constitution, if you are recognized as a human being at the time of conception, then certainly this 6-week-old … So in this particular case, it has a lot of significance.”

The lawsuit states that the pregnancy was terminated when the fetus was about 6 weeks old.
https://www.mynbc5.com/article/man-s...nancy/26764665

Oh, and one more detail --

Ryan Magers, a 19-year-old from Madison County is suing Alabama Women’s Center for Reproductive Alternatives after they assisted his ex-girlfriend in having an abortion against his wishes. While it’s been two years since Magers’ former girlfriend had a medically assisted, legal abortion procedure six weeks into her pregnancy, he is now taking legal action against everyone involved.
https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/ryan-...tive-baby-roe/

Which means he impregnated her when he was 17 and she was 14. This dude's only interaction with the legal system should be as a defendant in a second degree rape trial. Other reporting indicates Magers pressured the girl into sex, though she and her parents have chosen not to pursue rape charges.
Old 03-10-19, 01:06 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Which means he impregnated her when he was 17 and she was 14. This dude's only interaction with the legal system should be as a defendant in a second degree rape trial. Other reporting indicates Magers pressured the girl into sex, though she and her parents have chosen not to pursue rape charges.
But but, think of the child. I mean, the other one...
Old 03-10-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. This guy below knows what heís talking about.

Old 03-10-19, 02:04 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The child that's not a child is more important than the living one.
Old 03-10-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/ryan-...tive-baby-roe/

Since he has admitted to having sex with a 14 year old and the Age of Consent in Alabama is 16, I don't get why the state can't just charge him even if she doesn't want to press charges.
Old 03-10-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Since he has admitted to having sex with a 14 year old and the Age of Consent in Alabama is 16, I don't get why the state can't just charge him even if she doesn't want to press charges.
I don't have any information beyond what I posted, so this is just an assumption, but it's hard to prove a rape charge -- even a statutory rape charge -- if the victim won't testify. Think about this -- what evidence would a prosecutor introduce to prove the sex occurred? Your only option would be to force the victim to testify against her will, which is obviously problematic.
Old 03-11-19, 12:02 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I don't have any information beyond what I posted, so this is just an assumption, but it's hard to prove a rape charge -- even a statutory rape charge -- if the victim won't testify. Think about this -- what evidence would a prosecutor introduce to prove the sex occurred? Your only option would be to force the victim to testify against her will, which is obviously problematic.
If this guy goes ahead with his lawsuit, he would have to allege in his pleading that he is the father - a judicial admission to statutory rape once you calculate the dates and ages.
Old 03-11-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ummm isn’t the evidence the baby?

oopps....Bando beat me...
Old 03-11-19, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. This guy below knows what heís talking about.

FWIW the guy later apologized and said all he meant was that human life is beautiful regardless of the circumstances around how or why someone came into being.
Old 03-11-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
If this guy goes ahead with his lawsuit, he would have to allege in his pleading that he is the father - a judicial admission to statutory rape once you calculate the dates and ages.
Yeah, now that heís filed the complaint that maybe changes things. Though how do you get that judicial admission in front of a jury?

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Ummm isnít the evidence the baby?

oopps....Bando beat me...
Assuming you mean the aborted pregnancy, the prosecutor would need to prove that this guy is the one who impregnated the underage victim. Sheís unwilling to testify and he would presumably take the Fifth. Her doctors are likely bound by doctor-patient confidentiality and canít testify either.

That said, as Bando pointed out, heís now filed a court document where he, in essence, confessed to the crime. But you still need a witness who can put that evidence in front of the jury. I donít know ó maybe now that heís suing her, the victim and her parents are more willing to testify against him in a criminal trial.
Old 03-12-19, 10:53 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Yeah, now that heís filed the complaint that maybe changes things. Though how do you get that judicial admission in front of a jury?

Assuming you mean the aborted pregnancy, the prosecutor would need to prove that this guy is the one who impregnated the underage victim. Sheís unwilling to testify and he would presumably take the Fifth. Her doctors are likely bound by doctor-patient confidentiality and canít testify either.

That said, as Bando pointed out, heís now filed a court document where he, in essence, confessed to the crime. But you still need a witness who can put that evidence in front of the jury. I donít know ó maybe now that heís suing her, the victim and her parents are more willing to testify against him in a criminal trial.
A certified copy of the Complaint should be sufficient. If pleadings must be signed/verified by the plaintiff under penalty of perjury in that state (as is required in most states), the prosecutor can simply read that admission to the jury.
Old 03-12-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
A certified copy of the Complaint should be sufficient. If pleadings must be signed/verified by the plaintiff under penalty of perjury in that state (as is required in most states), the prosecutor can simply read that admission to the jury.
Shows how much trial work I do (next to none) that I didnít think about simply having the prosecutor read it!
Old 03-23-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In case anyone missed it, Georgia is set to ban abortion. Restricted after 6 weeks. Most women donít know they are pregnant by then. And it sounds like it was passed with lots of religious reasoning. How all good laws should be passed for everyone, for sure

Pregnancy prisons, here we come!
Old 03-23-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kentucky and Mississippi also passed similar laws this month and about ten other states are also looking to pass "heartbeat" laws. It appears this is the lastest coordinated efforts of the American Taliban, (evangelicals) to control women.

Old 03-24-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

American Taliban is good. I like that.
Old 04-02-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A smart thread for men and the G.O.P. to read (the latter won't).

If men don't want abortions, then practice safe sex and learn how to properly use the different methods of contraception.

What types of birth control are there?