Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Old 10-28-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's fair. We don't see those kinds of attacks focused on Tom Steyer, for example.
Those seem to be starting:

https://ktla.com/2018/10/28/kevin-mc...-buy-election/

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy posted and later deleted a tweet last week that suggested three Jewish, billionaire Democratic donors were attempting to “buy” the 2018 midterm elections.

“We cannot allow Soros, Steyer, and Bloomberg to BUY this election! Get out and vote Republican November 6th. #MAGA,” the congressman from Bakersfield wrote in the tweet posted Tuesday and deleted a day later, a reference to top donors to Democratic causes George Soros and Tom Steyer and former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Old 10-28-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Honest question here, is anti-Soros stuff automatically anti-Semitic? I always thought the Soros hate was because he was a super rich democrat that spent tons of money on backroom deals on hidden agendas. There's an anti-semitic part to it as well?
It’s complex. Soros has, for the last decade or so, sort of been the anti-Koch.

But over the last few years, as we’ve seen the antisemitism of the alt-right explode, George Soros has become (((George Soros))) and whenever someone starts complaining about him, it’s suspect.
Old 10-28-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Those seem to be starting:

https://ktla.com/2018/10/28/kevin-mc...-buy-election/

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy posted and later deleted a tweet last week that suggested three Jewish, billionaire Democratic donors were attempting to “buy” the 2018 midterm elections.

“We cannot allow Soros, Steyer, and Bloomberg to BUY this election! Get out and vote Republican November 6th. #MAGA,” the congressman from Bakersfield wrote in the tweet posted Tuesday and deleted a day later, a reference to top donors to Democratic causes George Soros and Tom Steyer and former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Steyer is complicated because his dad is Jewish and for an antisemite that’s enough. But Steyer’s mother was Episcopalian and Steyer is deeply religious in that faith.
Old 11-01-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's interesting what image Fox News picked for this article (even with a tiny disclaimer below it that it doesn't represent actual data.) Of course, you don't see that disclaimer on the front page - only if you click the article and really look.

Old 11-23-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Her reaction to her own comment is priceless. There’s no way in hell this woman doesn’t have herpes.
Old 11-23-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fox cut her feed, but You Tube commenters all think it was a great thing to say.
Old 11-23-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That Fox anchor seems to have a shred of decency. How'd that happen?
Old 11-30-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this headline on the morning of 11/29/18:
Mueller hardball fuels Trump allies’ anger toward probe, risks backfiring

A few hours later, Mueller announces that Cohen pleads guilty to lying about Trump's Moscow deal. The Fox News headline writers leap into action:
Why Cohen's guilty plea is worthless to Mueller

Fox is an open supporter of Trump, but isn't there a point where they ought to be reporting the news?
Old 11-30-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Fox is an open supporter of Trump, but isn't there a point where they ought to be reporting the news?
They are reporting the "news" that their viewers want to see. Fox would lose a good chuck of viewers if they ever actually reported the news without bias.
Old 11-30-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why start now? They are all in on Trump - can't bail at this point. When he's out of office, he'll be a fixture on the network (more than he is now, even).
Old 11-30-18, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
They are reporting the "news" that their viewers want to see. Fox would lose a good chuck of viewers if they ever actually reported the news without bias.
What Controversial News Network...isn't biased? A person should read stories off of several news sources, not just one, imo.

Fox was actually anti-Trump initially. Just like any media whorehouse, they change their stance as their statistics change.
Old 11-30-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In this day and age of less viewers and more competition, they are ALL playing to a niche base of a specific audience. CNN and MSNBC are playing to people who are Anti-Trump, FoxNews are playing to people who are Pro-Trump. Drudge and Breitbart play to Pro-Trump while Huffington Post plays to Anti-Trump. Wall Street Journal plays to Pro-Trump while Washington Post and NY Times play to Anti-Trump.

Before MSNBC & FoxNews (before Blogs) when it was just CNN, they had to cater to a more mass audience so they weren't as slanted either way. I remember shows like Captial Gang, Crossfire, Evans & Novak, each show pretty much gave both opinions from each side and let the viewer decide. Because there is so much competition now, you have more editorial/opinion type shows, so they preach to the choir more.
Old 11-30-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Fox was actually anti-Trump initially.
Yup, they were pro-Ted Cruz.

Last edited by inri222; 11-30-18 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since Christmas is coming up will we get more hard hitting stories on FOX about Santa and Jesus being white?
Old 11-30-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by coli View Post
In this day and age of less viewers and more competition, they are ALL playing to a niche base of a specific audience. CNN and MSNBC are playing to people who are Anti-Trump, FoxNews are playing to people who are Pro-Trump. Drudge and Breitbart play to Pro-Trump while Huffington Post plays to Anti-Trump. Wall Street Journal plays to Pro-Trump while Washington Post and NY Times play to Anti-Trump.

Before MSNBC & FoxNews (before Blogs) when it was just CNN, they had to cater to a more mass audience so they weren't as slanted either way. I remember shows like Captial Gang, Crossfire, Evans & Novak, each show pretty much gave both opinions from each side and let the viewer decide. Because there is so much competition now, you have more editorial/opinion type shows, so they preach to the choir more.
This is why Reuters is my news source of choice.
Old 11-30-18, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by coli View Post

Yeah, Crossfire was awesome. Miss it immensely. But now, it seems a person must read alternative or even opposite news sources to find the facts of what really happened. Didn't used to be that way. It used to be each reporter had their set of scales, and provided multiple sources and angles to their article's conclusion. Now? It's just recycled content...and just about literally word for word.
Old 11-30-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Crossfire was awesome. Miss it immensely. But now, it seems a person must read alternative or even opposite news sources to find the facts of what really happened. Didn't used to be that way. It used to be each reporter had their set of scales, and provided multiple sources and angles to their article's conclusion. Now? It's just recycled content...and just about literally word for word.
That's why I no longer rely on specific news sources and rather news feeds which give a blend of everyone. It's easier to determine what's actually news that way.
Old 11-30-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Since Christmas is coming up will we get more hard hitting stories on FOX about Santa and Jesus being white?
No. Trump fixed Christmas so we're all white...I mean right.
Old 11-30-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's why I no longer rely on specific news sources and rather news feeds which give a blend of everyone. It's easier to determine what's actually news that way.
I ignore the news and form all my opinions based on the content of the DVDTalk Random Political Memes Thread.
Old 11-30-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Yup, they were pro-Ted Cruz.
Actually they were for all of the Establishment Candidates at first: Jeb Bush was the choice by most of the hosts, or they wanted John Kasich, Marco Rubio or Scott Walker. The Establishment (many at FoxNews at the time like Megyn Kelly, Dana Perino, Karl Rove, Greg Gutfeld) hated Trump and Cruz because they were the Anti-Establishment. Then again, Ted Cruz is just hated no matter what his political beliefs as he is just an unlikeable guy.

Most of these people at FoxNews were Pro-Iraq War/Pro-Amnesty/Pro-Free Trade and that is why they hated Anti-Establishment candidates like Trump, Cruz and even Rand Paul who railed against the Iraq War just as much as Progressive Democrats did against Hillary in 2016. What happened is many of them ended up losing their jobs after Trump got elected (Megyn Kelly, Bill Kristol, George Will) or marginalized to less airtime like Dana Perino and Karl Rove.
Old 11-30-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
This is why Reuters is my news source of choice.
I get my news from Reuters, BBC and CBC. The vast majority of US news outlets are pretty useless at this point.
Old 12-08-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this gem today:

Unquestionably, this is a fishing expedition that has caught some fish. Mueller and his team of prosecutors have secured indictments, convictions and guilty pleas from people with some affiliation with Trump – but as yet, there is no “smoking gun” saying there was Trump-Russia collusion to defeat Hillary Clinton and install Trump in the Oval Office.
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/no-c...-court-filings

Someone at Fox has no sense of history. The metaphor "smoking gun" entered the language because of Watergate. That is not the association that they want to make with Trump.

Otherwise, it's a lovely paragraph. It checks off "fishing expedition", "some affiliation", "no collusion", and "Hillary Clinton" in about fifty words. I can't write that well.
Old 12-08-18, 01:54 PM
Suspended

Speaking of, aren't RSS feeds almost a legacy add-on these days. It's unfortunate. Those were rather helpful in the day.
Old 12-08-18, 02:00 PM
Suspended

I saw this gem today:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/no-c...-court-filings

Someone at Fox has no sense of history. The metaphor "smoking gun" entered the language because of Watergate. That is not the association that they want to make with Trump.

Otherwise, it's a lovely paragraph. It checks off "fishing expedition", "some affiliation", "no collusion", and "Hillary Clinton" in about fifty words. I can't write that well.
Yeah it's a pathetic article written probably by a 20-something social media hound, but I've seen it from the opposing side. It used to be a right of passage to prove your professionalism to NOT write like everyone else. Today, it apparently is the opposite, using catch phrases is the norm.

To the content of the affiliation with Trump, however. The real estate deal never happened. Cohen says he had Russian interested parties who could synergize, etc. All that means nothing. It's not illegal to have reps from other countries involved in your campaign. Not at all. You have to prove you intend to defraud the US Government. Comey even said in his investigation there wasn't any collusion or intent to defraud the US government when it came to election interference. None. Mueller knows there is nothing related to that level of legal standard required for a charge, let alone a conviction.

Now here's a cookie that'll bake the oven and some of you might find this out in a few years: the actual people who could bring Trump down...are purposely NOT being talked to by Mueller.
Old 12-08-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mueller knows there is nothing related to that level of legal standard required for a charge, let alone a conviction.
I'm so glad we have you here to read Mueller's mind for us

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.