Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-27-15, 04:50 PM   #126
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The War for Free Expression at College: The One & Only Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork View Post
If you're able to read an explanation of how cancelling a performance of a play can be "literally the opposite of censorship" without attempting to hurl your computer out a window, I doubt I'll be able to answer your question to your satisfaction.
If you replace something with one perspective with something that has more perspectives, that's censorship?
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 11-27-15, 04:59 PM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
If you replace something with one perspective with something that has more perspectives, that's censorship?

If you replace a TV show critical of Republicans with one that's more even-handed, is that censorship?
Old 11-27-15, 05:15 PM   #128
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

If you replace a TV show critical of Republicans with one that's more even-handed, is that censorship?
If you are choosing the content, I think you can do whatever you want. I am the artistic director for a theater company and we often choose one show over another for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean I'm censoring anything.
Old 11-27-15, 06:08 PM   #129
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Ahh, so you draw your insights about rape from a select few well publicized cases that you can remember, that is logical and quite useful.. But when I bring up actual scientific evidence about rape it's dismissed because it doesn't fit your preconceived beliefs. Excellent example of motivated reasoning!
Get off him. He's fucking right. The number of high profile, headline grabbing rape accusations that have all turned out false is suspicious as fuck. Especially when the accusation is on the front page and the retraction is next to the obituaries and want ads.
Old 11-27-15, 06:23 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Cracked tackled a few of these.

Here's a point about that Vagina Monologues story -
Bullshit. "It wasn't cancelled, it was replaced." Sounds like something a tv executive would say. "Firefox isn't canceled Mr. Wheadon, we're just replacing it with reruns of Automan."

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-27-15 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-27-15, 06:26 PM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If you are choosing the content, I think you can do whatever you want.
I understand that. Now please address my example. I'm the head of a TV network and I decide to cancel a long-running series because I don't like its liberal slant. Well, actually, I'm not cancelling it, I'm just replacing it with a show that gives voice to more diverse perspectives. Oh, and I'm completely open about why I'm doing this. Am I engaging in censorship? Not Do I have a right to do this, which I obviously do, but What do you call the act in which I am engaging?

By the way, that was not even close to the most confused bit from the article; I just focused on that because you quoted it.
Old 11-27-15, 06:32 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

This is the second time I've seen that awful Cracked piece cited here. How anyone could read a totally slanted apology piece that contains no examples and has a comments section entirely filled with readers who disagree with everything written and then confidently copy/post it as a reasonable debunking of recent events boggles my mind.

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-27-15 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-27-15, 08:45 PM   #133
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Get off him. He's fucking right. The number of high profile, headline grabbing rape accusations that have all turned out false is suspicious as fuck. Especially when the accusation is on the front page and the retraction is next to the obituaries and want ads.
And the point is?
Old 11-27-15, 10:08 PM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

My post stands for itself. Do you have trouble reading?
Old 11-27-15, 10:49 PM   #135
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Okay, so no point then...
Old 11-27-15, 10:49 PM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
My post stands for itself. Do you have trouble reading?
I can read your post fine, but I don't see the point either. What do you think a handful of false accusations prove? Are we supposed to ignore the numerous studies that show around 20% of women have been sexually assaulted? Are we supposed to assume there's some giant media conspiracy to invent rape accusations? What exactly are you trying to imply?

Blog | Twitter
Old 11-27-15, 11:05 PM   #137
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I understand that. Now please address my example. I'm the head of a TV network and I decide to cancel a long-running series because I don't like its liberal slant. Well, actually, I'm not cancelling it, I'm just replacing it with a show that gives voice to more diverse perspectives. Oh, and I'm completely open about why I'm doing this. Am I engaging in censorship? Not Do I have a right to do this, which I obviously do, but What do you call the act in which I am engaging?

By the way, that was not even close to the most confused bit from the article; I just focused on that because you quoted it.
I wouldn't call it censorship.

Dictionary facts: the practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts.

I don't think choosing to do one show over another is censorship. Especially one that they've done before. Sound more like they decided to do something they felt was a bit more inclusive this year. I don't see how that could be interpreted as censorship.

Quote:
This is the second time I've seen that awful Cracked piece cited here. How anyone could read a totally slanted apology piece that contains no examples and has a comments section entirely filled with readers who disagree with everything written and then confidently copy/post it as a reasonable debunking of recent events boggles my mind.
There are all kinds of examples in that piece. I know the new tactic is to just say something until it has been said so many times that it becomes fact, but that's not how things actually work.

As for the comments, there are more than a few saying things like "it looks like Stormfront descended on the comments section".
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black

Last edited by Draven; 11-27-15 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-28-15, 12:17 AM   #138
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I can read your post fine, but I don't see the point either. What do you think a handful of false accusations prove? Are we supposed to ignore the numerous studies that show around 20% of women have been sexually assaulted? Are we supposed to assume there's some giant media conspiracy to invent rape accusations? What exactly are you trying to imply?
I must live in some safety dance bubble then. There are no where near 20 percent of women that I know that have been assaulted. What is the definition of sexual assault, a Rolling Stone citation? Or is it the "all sex is rape thing" and you are implying that 80 percent of men are gay?

Of course there is no media conspiracy, they would never lie or twist the truth would they? It's on the internet so it must be based in fact.
Old 11-28-15, 09:32 AM   #139
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
I must live in some safety dance bubble then. There are no where near 20 percent of women that I know that have been assaulted. What is the definition of sexual assault, a Rolling Stone citation? Or is it the "all sex is rape thing" and you are implying that 80 percent of men are gay?
The thing is that odds are a number of your female friends HAVE been sexually assaulted. They just don't tell you about it.

I was at a gathering the other day with some friends of mine from high school. There were 4 men and 3 women. And at one point it came up that another friend of ours had sexually assaulted one of the women. I actually knew about that but two of the other men there did not. We've been friends for 20+ years and it had never come up for two of them.
Old 11-28-15, 10:05 AM   #140
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

Of course there is no media conspiracy, they would never lie or twist the truth would they? It's on the internet so it must be based in fact.
I'm guessing they are counting butt & boob grabbing as sexual assault... if they just counted "rape rape", the numbers would be much smaller, and wouldn't fit their narrative as well.

Heck, I get "sexually assaulted" by people I don't know at the gay bar every damn weekend. I would guess that most gay men do. It's an epidemic!!
Old 11-28-15, 10:39 AM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I must live in some safety dance bubble then. There are no where near 20 percent of women that I know that have been assaulted.
How do you know that? It's not exactly a subject women come out and talk about, especially if they know the person they're talking to is the sort who pops off with enlightened and understanding statements like,

Quote:
What is the definition of sexual assault, a Rolling Stone citation? Or is it the "all sex is rape thing" and you are implying that 80 percent of men are gay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I'm guessing they are counting butt & boob grabbing as sexual assault... if they just counted "rape rape", the numbers would be much smaller, and wouldn't fit their narrative as well.

Heck, I get "sexually assaulted" by people I don't know at the gay bar every damn weekend. I would guess that most gay men do. It's an epidemic!!
Well yes, any unwanted sexual content qualifies as sexual assault, however the studies show more than that. For instance, in the most recent survey, released just this month,

Quote:
...researchers surveyed 483 incoming first-year female undergraduate students at a private university in New York state, and followed up with them three more times during their freshman year. The students were asked about whether they had been raped, and about the use of several perpetrator tactics, including raping a woman while she was incapacitated by drugs or alcohol, and unable to object or consent.

About 15 percent of the students said they were raped that year while they were incapacitated from drinking alcohol or using drugs, the survey found.

But 18 percent of the students in the study had experienced rape while they were incapacitated from alcohol or drug use before they entered college, and among those women, 41 percent were raped again while they were incapacitated during their first year of college.
Of course I'm sure someone's going to explain that it's not rape if the woman's drunk, and if she doesn't want to have sex she should lock herself in a closet whenever she drinks.

Blog | Twitter
Old 11-28-15, 10:46 AM   #142
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Huh. I dunno, maybe I'm a jerk, but I just don't buy it.
Quote:
But 18 percent of the students in the study had experienced rape while they were incapacitated from alcohol or drug use before they entered college, and among those women, 41 percent were raped again while they were incapacitated during their first year of college.
This statistic seems VERY suspicious to me.
Old 11-28-15, 10:51 AM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Bullshit. The revelations of false accusations against the Duke Lacrosse team and the Rolling Stone incident were front page stories.
Old 11-28-15, 11:23 AM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Bullshit. The revelations of false accusations against the Duke Lacrosse team and the Rolling Stone incident were front page stories.
That's such bullshit. If you did a survey most people still equate Duke Lacrosse with rape. They'd be surprised to discover that the accuser lied.
Old 11-28-15, 11:35 AM   #145
DVD Talk Legend

I liked Mabuse so much better before the AMA revoked his license.

Blog | Twitter
Old 11-28-15, 04:04 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Sounds like there's a pattern of bad behavior and poor judgment here.

Maybe these women should simply stay away from:

1) alcohol
2) drugs
3) college
4) men
Old 11-28-15, 04:08 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post

1) alcohol
2) drugs
3) college
4) men
I'll add: my male dog who likes to rape my female dog (both are fixed). So offensive.
Old 11-28-15, 05:07 PM   #148
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Sounds like there's a pattern of bad behavior and poor judgment here.

1) alcohol
2) drugs
3) college
4) men
Maybe men should stop raping instead? Naw, let's blame the victim. It's the DVDTalk way!
Old 11-28-15, 07:23 PM   #149
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Maybe men should stop raping instead? Naw, let's blame the victim. It's the DVDTalk way!
More than likely, the majority of those "rapes" are simply cases of women getting drunk and being ashamed of who they fooled around with the next morning. Bad decisions don't equal rape. But thanks to our victim mentality, it's easier to say you were raped and assign blame to someone else, than admit your own failings.

Last edited by joeblow69; 11-28-15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-28-15, 07:31 PM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Wait. I don't want to be seen as making like of rape. Just making a joke about my dog humping everything (some people get upset when they see it ... whatever).

The rape being discussed here is bad. I never had to coerce a woman into having sex with any kind of trickery. But I've never been part of that culture of people who do that stuff (college kids, night club people, bar people). I think those people are dumb, and the whole scene is dumb.

From what I'm understanding, what used to be "drunk sex" is now "rape". Sounds like we're looking for the whole culture of people to change.