Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Race Issues at Univ of Missouri - Real or Imagined?

Old 02-18-16, 03:43 AM
Political Exile

Re: Race Issues at Univ of Missouri - Real or Imagined?

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
When people ask if racism is “real or imagined” you can point to posts like these, where someone believes a game of <i>college</i> football to be more important than the life of a human being.
I'm pretty sure that if everyone involved had been white, creekdipper would have been just as curious. I don't see any racism on creekdipper's part.

Also, if someone wants to go on a hunger strike, and they end up dying as a result, then their death is their own fault, and not anyone else's. (Of course, as I already said, in the modern day U.S., there is no such thing as a real "hunger strike," because the person always quits before they die, even if their demands are never met.)
Old 02-18-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Update: More "Click-bait"

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016/...5671455591513/

Interim chancellor Hank Foley, who has resisted calls for her dismissal, issued a strongly worded statement Sunday night:

"Last night, like many in our community, I watched newly released footage of Dr. Melissa Click directing a verbal assault against members of the Columbia Police Department during the homecoming parade in October 2015.

Her conduct and behavior are appalling, and I am not only disappointed, I am angry, that a member of our faculty acted this way. Her actions caught on camera last October, are just another example of a pattern of misconduct by Dr. Click—most notably, her assault on one of our students while seeking 'muscle' during a highly volatile situation on Carnahan Quadrangle in November.

We must have high expectations of members of our community, and I will address these new revelations with the Board of Curators as they work to complete their own review of the matter."
Where is this newly released footage?
Old 02-18-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Where is this newly released footage?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4rLz6zkmn_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, get out the road lest you get hit by a giant wiener.
Old 02-18-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Such undignified behavior in front of the Wiener Mobile.

Honestly I can't understand a thing she said or what the heck is even going on in that video.
Old 02-18-16, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Very confused ugly red-headed woman with glasses (and some rather flaring nostrils) is under the impression she's living in the 60's while hundreds of cops shooting down students in cold blood are trying to prevent her from saving the innocents.
Old 02-19-16, 10:10 AM

Missouri needs to stop messing around and show this anti-First Amendment wingnut the door, without waiting for input from "the community" (which will amount to its extremist students).
Old 02-25-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Melissa Click was finally shitcanned today.
Old 02-25-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

“The board respects Dr. Click’s right to express her views and does not base this decision on her support for students engaged in protest or their views,” Henrickson said in the prepared statement. “However, Dr. Click was not entitled to interfere with the rights of others, to confront members of law enforcement or to encourage potential physical intimidation against a student.”
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...9d12f0fd1.html
Old 02-26-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, Click fired.

Linky: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016/...9331456483463/

Missouri professor caught on camera cursing at journalists, police fired
26-FEB-2016 - UPI

COLUMBIA, Mo., Feb. 26 (UPI) -- The University of Missouri has fired Melissa Click, an assistant professor seen on videos trying to intimidate a student journalist and cursing at a police officer. In a 4-2 vote, the school's Board of Curators on Thursday terminated Click, who has the right to an appeal.

"The board believes that Dr. Click's conduct was not compatible with university policies and did not meet expectations for a university faculty member," board spokeswoman Pam Henrickson said in a statement.

"The board respects Dr. Click's right to express her views and does not base this decision on her support for students engaged in protest or their views," Henrickson said, "However, Dr. Click was not entitled to interfere with the rights of others, to confront members of law enforcement or to encourage potential physical intimidation against a student."

While the University of Missouri boiled over with protests over charges of racism, Click's behavior quickly came to overshadow the issue as she was filmed trying to intimidate a student journalist.

"Hey, who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?" Click shouts on the video. "I need some muscle over here."

Click was charged with third-degree assault over the incident.

A second video, shot about a month before the "muscle" video, shows Click on a Columbia police body camera video as part of a protest during a homecoming parade where she yells and curses at a police officer who is asking the protesters to move to the sidewalk.
Old 02-26-16, 01:55 PM
Cool New Member

I'd seen the "muscle" video when it first broke and now this, good they canned her but they need to 5150 Click and place her in her own personal "safe space"...
Old 04-13-16, 12:22 AM
Political Exile

This is great! The school is giving the whiners exactly what they demanded - a brand new "Division of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity."

And in order to pay for it, the school is reducing its maintenance staff, so now students will have to carry their own garbage out to the dumpster. Heh heh heh.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...e175e49d4.html

50 jobs eliminated as University of Missouri cuts hit cleaning, maintenance operations

April 12, 2016

The University of Missouri will be shaggier and dirtier and faculty will be responsible for taking their own trash to dumpsters under the plan for cutting 50 jobs in campus operations detailed in an email memo sent Friday by Vice Chancellor Gary Ward.

Landscaping operations will be cut back so sidewalk edges are trimmed no more than twice a year and only in the most visible locations, Ward wrote. After Saturday football games, the debris left by tailgaters will not be picked up until Monday, he wrote.

Custodial staff no longer will clean or remove trash or recyclables from offices, Ward wrote.

“This frees up custodians to assist with recycling, which, previously, has been a volunteer effort,” Ward wrote.

The plan to save $5.47 million in the MU Operations division that employs 842 people exempts the MU Police Department and MU Environmental Health and Safety. Ward warned it likely means slower response time for maintenance issues, less overtime and slower snow removal.

In the email, Ward warned that “we will be unable to sustain the level of service for which you have become accustomed. I do not anticipate that changes beginning July 1, 2016, will inhibit the academic mission at Mizzou, nor is it my intention for that to ever happen.”

Ward’s email is his response to a March 9 directive for a 5 percent cut to general fund budgets from interim Chancellor Hank Foley. The directive imposed a hiring freeze and warned there would be no salary increases.

The Columbia campus is trying to cover $22 million of an expected $32.5 million shortfall because of declining enrollment and new commitments such as the new Division of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity, spokesman Christian Basi said. The cuts do not take into account possible state budget reductions or increases.

Of the 50 positions in operations to be cut, 21.75 currently are vacant and will not be filled, and many others are in auxiliary departments such as campus catering or facilities, Basi said. Many are held by students, he said.

An additional 10.5 full-time equivalent positions will be eliminated June 30, and five employees already have received notice they will be laid off, Basi said.

The College of Arts and Science will have to cut $4.2 million but expects to do so without layoffs, Dean Michael O’Brien wrote in an email Tuesday. The cuts will require the college to eliminate vacant positions, reduce staff travel and reduce equipment purchases, he wrote.

“I have not sent out any e-mails because the chairs and directors are working directly with their faculty and staff to manage the reductions; it is not a top-down approach,” O’Brien wrote.

Ward wrote that his email is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the actions he is taking to balance his division’s budget. It does, he wrote, include “those that might be most noticeable aesthetically to faculty, students and visitors to campus; and those that realize the most cost savings for the department.”

The issue of trash removal and office cleaning should not be an issue in arts and science, O’Brien wrote.

“I think people see our financial picture as very, very serious and will do what it takes to make things work,” he wrote.
Old 12-28-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Things didn't get any better for Mizzou following the protests. Black AND White student enrollment rates collapsed almost immediately....

Linky:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/u...s-fallout.html

COLUMBIA, Mo. — In the fall of 2015, a grassy quadrangle at the center of the University of Missouri became known nationwide as the command center of an escalating protest.

Students complaining of official inaction in the face of racial bigotry joined forces with a graduate student on a hunger strike. Within weeks, with the aid of the football team, they had forced the university system president and the campus chancellor to resign.

It was a moment of triumph for the protesting students. But it has been a disaster for the university.

Freshman enrollment at the Columbia campus, the system’s flagship, has fallen by more than 35 percent in the two years since.

The university administration acknowledges that the main reason is a backlash from the events of 2015, as the campus has been shunned by students and families put off by, depending on their viewpoint, a culture of racism or one where protesters run amok.

Before the protests, the university, fondly known as Mizzou, was experiencing steady growth and building new dormitories. Now, with budget cuts due to lost tuition and a decline in state funding, the university is temporarily closing seven dormitories and cutting more than 400 positions, including those of some nontenured faculty members, through layoffs and by leaving open jobs unfilled.

By sheer numbers, the drop in white students has caused the greatest damage, since they make up a majority of those on campus.

Tyler Morris, a white student from St. Louis, said he was afraid of being stereotyped as a bigot if he went to Missouri. So he decided to go to Missouri Valley College, “just down the road” in Marshall.

“The discrimination wasn’t against white people, but I didn’t want to be that person who I guess was stereotyped because I was white,” he said.
Old 12-28-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ The reason I wanted to bring this up was because a friend from St Louis had just forwarded me the following article, wherein, a Mizzou official states that a guy could be guilty of Title IX "sexual misconduct" for asking out a shorter woman. The article is very long, but I'll cut to the chase:

Linky: https://abcstlouis.com/news/local/mi...ual-misconduct

Mizzou Official: Tall Man Asking Short Woman Out Could Be Considered 'Sexual Harassment'
by ABC 30 News | Friday, December 28th 2018

COLUMBIA, Mo. — If a man asks a woman out on a date, and he is taller than her, can that be considered "sexual harassment"? According to a former University of Missouri vice chancellor, the answer is yes.

From the court documents filed by [Rowles'] attorneys:

Q. The allegations against Jeremy Rowles, do you believe that they've satisfied subsection 1 of sexual harassment?
A. I think he was perceived as having power over her.
Q. And what was the nature of his power over her? Was it just his size?
A. His physical size.
Q. Okay. So, this part 1 doesn't require him to be a teacher. When it says person of authority, it doesn't mean, like, teacher or boss?
A. Well, I suppose it could; but in this case, no, I didn't interpret it that way.
To remind everyone, Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 is a federal law that states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance." - and it specifically prohibits sexual harassment against subordinates. Bosses cannot court sexual favors from employees, coaches from players, or teachers from students.

So Mizzou continues to be a pretty fucked-up school. Thus, Freshman enrollment continues to plummet while alumni donations dropped 11% as they distance themselves from the "new" Mizzou, complaining that the university no longer represents their values .
Old 12-29-18, 02:25 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ funny that you left out the most important part of the article:

The information regarding a recent Title IX case at the University of Missouri presented in the Daily Wire and other media is out of context and incomplete, creating an inaccurate picture of the situation. These reports left out important facts that can be found in court records regarding the suspended student's repeated conduct both in person and on social media. Multiple complaints and concerns were expressed by at least four female students, and they provide important contextual information about this situation.
Facts... who needs ‘em.
Old 12-29-18, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Facts... who needs ‘em.
Complaints and concerns...are not facts.

If I raise a concern about this forum...is that a fact?

Nope. It's an opinion. I would need FACTS to back up my concerns.
Old 12-29-18, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Complaints and concerns...are not facts.

If I raise a concern about this forum...is that a fact?

Nope. It's an opinion. I would need FACTS to back up my concerns.
And this of course:

During that investigation, a deputy Title IX coordinator reportedly said during the deposition that Doe "looked like someone who might commit sexual assault."
Old 12-29-18, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding what the Title IX coordinator reported as saying that Jeremy Rowles "looked like someone who might commit sexual assault.", here is a picture of Jeremy Rowles and also of Annalise Breaux:

Old 12-30-18, 12:34 AM
Political Exile

You can't tell if someone is a rapist based on what they look like.
Old 12-30-18, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Facts... who needs ‘em.
Yes, undocumented "facts" alluded to by a university spokesman (funny that you left that part of the article out) are what should matter here.

Also, there might be something to this:
A Title IX investigation was launched after she went to a supervisor. She also indicated during the Title IX investigation that he ever touched her and that she never felt intimidated or threatened.
The way the article was written, it's hard to follow sometimes. For example, if she "never felt intimidated or threatened," just what was the investigation about?

Edited to add: When I said "undocumented," I meant undocumented in the article itself - that might not have been clear.

Last edited by GhostLee; 12-31-18 at 07:17 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-03-19, 01:12 AM
Political Exile

Melissa Click has been hired by Gonzaga University. This their her page on their website:

https://www.gonzaga.edu/academics/fa...g/detail/click

This is what wikipedia says about the school:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzaga_University

Gonzaga University is a private, Roman Catholic university in Spokane, Washington, United States. Founded in 1887 by the Society of Jesus, it is one of 28 member institutions of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities.

I hope she's enjoying herself there among all those religious conservative Christians.

Heh heh heh.
Old 06-18-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can now add Cleveland's Oberlin College to the list of schools so eager to hurl racist allegations that they've harmed themselves severely as a result.

A jury has awarded over $44M in compensatory and punitive damages to a local business who was systematically defamed and harmed by Oberlin students, staff, and faculty as a result of an admitted shoplifting incident by black students against this fifth-generation white-owned business.

Hell, this is such a slam-dunk I'll provide a Salon link:
https://www.salon.com/2019/06/14/eve...-local-bakery/

Some quotes:

The case stems from the November 2016 arrest of [Oberlin student Jonathan] Aladin, who was accused of attempted robbery for trying to "steal wine or otherwise illegally obtain wine" from the bakery with a fake ID, according to court documents.

In August 2017, Aladin and the two students pleaded guilty to attempted theft and aggravated trespass, court documents state, and were required to pay a fine. Before their sentencing, each student read a statement acknowledging that Gibson's was justified in trying to restrain Aladin and that the actions of the shop's employees had not been racially motivated.

"This unfortunate incident was triggered by an attempt to purchase alcohol," Aladin wrote, according to court documents. "I believe the employees of Gibson's actions were not racially motivated. They were merely trying to prevent an underage sale."

​​​​​Oberlin College "facilitated, encouraged, and promoted the illegal defamation and economic boycott" of Gibson's Bakery by helping students copy and distribute fliers, suspending classes and supplying protesters with free food and drink. College leaders also "encouraged students to demonstrate outside Gibson's Bakery in lieu of attending scheduled classes and provided credit to the students who attended and participated in the demonstration(s)," according to the complaint. Additionally, Gibson's argued a Facebook post by an Oberlin's Department of Africana Studies stated: "Gibson's has been bad for decades, their dislike of Black people is palpable. Their food is rotten and they profile Black students. NO MORE!"​​​​​​
The college's actions went beyond the pale and were racially-motivated.... Had Gibson's been a black-owned business they would never have taken the illegal actions they did. The jury saw their culpability and awarded the requested $11M in damages plus 3x the amount as a punitive award.

Oberlin's enrollment has been declining in the 3 years since this case broke into the news and the school had frozen salaries and had begun laying-off employees. Now faced with millions of dollars in self-inflicted damages, plus legal fees, its gonna get a lot worse for them before it even hints at getting better.

So welcome to the Evergreen-Mizzou club, Oberlin! You've stupidly stabbed yourself in the back, may have done irreparable harm to whatever reputation you think you should have, have driven away paying customers (oops, "students") and have tarnished the diplomas you've awarded to your graduates as I'm certain employers will view with skepticism the value in hiring applicants who claim to be Oberlin grads now.

You had one job. Lol.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 06-18-19 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are a couple of news reports that summarizes events more succinctly than I can, and without Salon's bias:

Old 06-18-19, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And in the interest of fairness, to help balance Salon's reporting here's Tucker Carlson, who goes into more depth regarding the specific actions the College took that resulted in them being ordered to.pay such a huge amount of damages.