Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Old 07-25-18, 10:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
What I was astounded by was the customer who casually strolled into the store right after the suspect did. Could he not hear the car wreck, sirens and gunshots all around him?
I have paranoid thoughts of something like this happening every time I go jogging with my headphones.
Old 08-03-18, 11:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

The NRA Says It’s in Deep Financial Trouble, May Be ‘Unable to Exist’
A new legal filing by the powerful gun group against the state of New York paints a grim picture
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...rouble-706371/

The National Rifle Association warns that it is in grave financial jeopardy, according to a recent court filing obtained by Rolling Stone, and that it could soon “be unable to exist… or pursue its advocacy mission.” (Read the NRA’s legal complaint at the bottom of this story.)

The reason, according to the NRA filing, is not its deep entanglement with alleged Russian agents like Maria Butina. Instead, the gun group has been suing New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the state’s financial regulators since May, claiming the NRA has been subject to a state-led “blacklisting campaign” that has inflicted “tens of millions of dollars in damages.”
sounds like the free market working as intended.
Old 08-04-18, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The NRA Says It’s in Deep Financial Trouble, May Be ‘Unable to Exist’
A new legal filing by the powerful gun group against the state of New York paints a grim picture
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...rouble-706371/
Let's send some thoughts and prayers their way.
Old 08-07-18, 05:16 PM
Political Exile

A good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun at a park in Florida.

The only person who got shot was the bad guy.

There were more than 150 children present.

The event was called "Peace in the City."

If it hadn't been for the good guy with the gun, it could have ended up being called "Massacre in the City."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nder-was-ready

Bullets flew at a Florida ‘Peace in the City’ event for kids. An armed bystander was ready.

August 7, 2018

It was a Saturday afternoon in the park, the Florida sunshine barreling down out of a cloudless sky. More than 150 kids flew around the grass, pinballing between two bounce houses and a pavilion. Organizers dubbed the occasion “Peace in the City,” an anti-violence back-to-school event in Titusville, a town on the Sunshine State’s Atlantic coast 45 minutes east of Orlando.

Dwight Harvey, an adult who was DJing at the party, had his cellphone trained on the festivities, live-streaming to his Facebook page as kids and their parents rifled through backpacks stuffed with new school supplies.

Then the gunshots started. A dozen blasts. Laughter turning to screams. Parents frantically shouting names.

“Y’all just witnessed a live shootout,” Harvey said into the camera once the shots stopped, in a video posted by Florida Today. “All these kids in the bounce house back here and they started shooting.”

According to police, an unnamed shooter opened fire in the park crowded with schoolchildren but an armed bystander intervened, shooting the gunman as he was trying to flee.

No other injuries were reported, Titusville Police Deputy Chief Todd Hutchinson said in a statement. “This suspect opened fire at a crowded public park, this could have been so much worse.

The shooter suffered life-threatening injuries and was airlifted from the scene to a hospital, according to police. But the situation last weekend — a seemingly safe space shattered by a spray of bullets — left both parents and kids shaken.

“There were kids in the path of those bullets. Thank God none of the kids got hit,” Harvey told reporters after the attack. “To have this happen at an event for the kids, at the ‘Peace in the City’ rally, is just crazy to me. It’s unbelievable. It hurts. It hurts.”

According to WFTV, the shooting stemmed from an old grudge.

The unnamed shooter went into the park looking for someone he had fought with three weeks ago over a basketball game, the station reported. The individuals faced off in a fistfight. The shooter left, returned with a gun a few minutes later, and opened fire in the crowded area, police say.

As the shooter was crossing the parking lot, he was confronted by a bystander, who was licensed to carry a handgun. The shooter drew his weapon again, and the bystander shot him in the head.

“[My daughter] called me and said, ‘Mom, come get me. Someone’s been shot,’” parent Stephanie Fayson told WFTV. “I panicked. I mean, wow.”

Police say the bystander fully cooperated with investigators and no charges are expected to be filed against him. The incident, however, already has been slotted into the larger national debate about gun violence. Following the incident, the National Rifle Association shared a tweet about the Titusville situation.

[T]his is another example of a good guy with a gun stopping a bad one,” the NRA account tweeted. Others countered by suggesting that if it weren’t so easy to obtain guns, perhaps the shooting wouldn’t have happened in the first place.
Old 08-07-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe they can convince some of these fine folks to return some of the money:

Spoiler:

Old 08-07-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

According to police, an unnamed shooter opened fire in the park crowded with schoolchildren but an armed bystander intervened, shooting the gunman as he was trying to flee.
So the suspect was done shooting and fleeing the scene and someone else decides to open fire? Sounds like this turned out okay, but could have easily ended differently.
Old 08-13-18, 02:01 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/sta...215255565.html

A Florida man fatally shot another over a parking space — and it was legal. Here’s why.

Or maybe it's not quite as legal as what that writer had thought:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/shooter-fl...ry?id=57151343

Florida 'stand your ground' shooter Michael Drejka charged with manslaughter
Spoiler:

August 13, 2018

The Florida man who invoked the "stand your ground" self-defense law after shooting a black man in a dispute over a parking space was charged Monday with manslaughter, officials said.

Michael Drejka, 48, was arrested Monday morning in the fatal shooting in July of Markeis McGlockton in Clearwater, Florida -- an incident that was caught on video which sparked an uproar after its release.

"The announcement that Michael Drejka will be charged with manslaughter provides our family with a small measure of comfort in our time of profound mourning," McGlockton's family said in a statement. "While this decision cannot bring back our partner, our son, our father, we take solace in knowing our voices are being heard as we work for justice.

"This man killed Markeis in cold blood, without a second thought about the devastating impact his actions would have on our family, but this charge gives us a measure of hope that the truth will win and justice will prevail in the end.”

Drejka was booked at the Pinellas County Jail and bond was set at $100,000. He is scheduled to make his first court appearance on Tuesday, at which time a judge will review his bond status and decide whether to appoint an attorney for Drejka or if the defendant can afford to hire his own lawyer.

Bernie McCabe, the state attorney for Pinellas County, announced his decision to file charges against Drejka 12 days after receiving investigative reports on the case from the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.

"We have filed a formal charge, and he has been arrested, and he will now go through the court system," McCabe said in a statement.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri had initially declined to arrest Drejka after the gunman invoked the "stand your ground" defense, saying his decision was bound by the law.

"I support the State Attorney's decision and will have no further comment as the case continues to work its way through the criminal justice system," Gualtieri said in a statement on Monday.

McCabe said charging Drejka is "consistent with the decision-making process established under Florida law in this case."

McGlockton, 28, was shot on July 19 after he came out of a convenience store and saw Drejka berating his girlfriend, Britany Jacobs, about parking in a handicap zone. Surveillance video showed McGlockton shoving Drejka to the ground and Drejka, who had a legal concealed weapons permit, pulling a handgun and shooting McGlockton.

Attorneys for Jacobs, the mother of McGlockton's three young children, and McGlockton's parents have held several press conferences to say they do not believe Drejka should have been given immunity from arrest under "stand your ground."

"My first thought on hearing this news was: It's about time," said Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Jacobs.

Crump said he "firmly" stands behind McCabe's decision to charge Drejka.

"This self-appointed wannabe cop attempted to hide behind 'stand your ground' to defend his indefensible actions, but the truth has finally cut through the noise," Crump said in a statement. "I have full faith that this truth will prevail to punish this cold-blooded killer who angrily created the altercation that led to Markeis’ needless death. We will continue to fight until justice is brought for the family of Markeis McGlockton.”

Michele Rayner, an attorney for McGlockton's parents, added: "This is a big step forward in the direction of justice, not only for Markeis' Family but also for society as a whole."

Rayner pointed out that the security video shows McGlockton retreating from Drejka after he pushed the man down in an effort to protect Jacobs and his children. She said that it took four seconds for Drejka to make "the conscious decision" to shoot McGlockton.
Old 08-15-18, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if this has been posted before but I found it by accident and found it quite interesting.

Old 08-18-18, 12:07 AM
Political Exile

California governor Jerry Brown does not take gun crimes seriously. He just commuted or pardoned a bunch of convicted criminals who had been sentenced to "life without parole" for using guns to murder people, as well as other convicted criminals who received less than "life without parole" for. their violent gun crimes. Shame on governor Brown.

https://www.chron.com/bayarea/articl...s-13165107.php

Gov. Brown issues pardons or clemency to 67

August 17, 2018

Eighteen people serving life without the possibility of parole for murder in California will be set free after Gov. Jerry Brown agreed to commute their sentences.

The 18 are among 31 prisoners granted clemency and 36 ex-convicts pardoned by the governor Friday.

The pardons were mostly for drug-related or nonviolent crimes, but Brown’s mercy also fell on Vanna In, a 42-year-old Fresno pastor from Cambodia who was convicted of murder in 1994, when he was 17, for shooting a gang rival. He was facing possible deportation to a country he hasn’t been in since he was 2.

The pastor, who has since dedicated his life to helping former gang members get their lives together, wasn’t the only convicted murderer who got a break. Brown commuted the sentences of people who had been found responsible for gang-related slayings, revenge slayings and multiple murders.

“Those granted pardons all completed their sentences years ago” and “demonstrated exemplary behavior and have lived productive and law-abiding lives following their conviction,” said a news release issued Friday by the governor’s office. “Pardons are not granted unless they are earned.”

In, a father of three, was released from prison in 2001 after serving six years for second degree murder and started Jobs of Hope, which helps former gang members. He is now a pastor of student and family ministries at North Fresno Church — Mennonite Brethren.

A Change.org petition asking the governor to grant him a pardon garnered 7,000 signatures.

Those who won commutations included Kimberly LaBore, who has served 20 years for participating in the slayings of two men in Santa Cruz while she was high on methamphetamine.

“Had it not been for my addiction and criminal lifestyle, I know these crimes would not have happened,” she wrote in her request to Brown. “My dream is to do my best to bring awareness to the death and mayhem addiction can bring to your life.”

Most of the other convicts whose sentences were commuted expressed remorse.

“I regret every single second of that night, and I wish I could undo all the pain and suffering I caused the victim and everyone affected by my crime,” wrote Ardell Adams, who in 1993 shot a man during a botched robbery attempt outside a Sacramento market. He is suffering from colon cancer and has been given only months to live.

“Even if I don’t benefit from this commutation,” he said, “I’d still like to take responsibility for the crime and show that I am a better person.”

The governor said all of those who won commutations displayed evidence of rehabilitation, but that isn’t supposed to count when someone is sentenced to life without parole.

Among those whose life-without-parole sentences were commuted were Virgil Eugene Holt, who gunned down his supervisor at an Alameda County fast food restaurant in 1989 after the boss fired him, and Deryus Brown, who participated in a 2004 gang shooting in Sacramento County when he was 19.

Other Bay Area killers whose sentences were commuted were David Bom Le, who in 2006 participated in a gang-related shooting in Alameda County, and Ronald George, who assisted his brother in killing a San Mateo County man over a drug debt in 1979.

Two other men were pardoned by Brown before they could be deported.

Phal Sok of Los Angeles served 15 years in state prison for an armed robbery he committed when he was 17. He was ordered deported to Cambodia in 2016, a place he hadn’t been to since his parents left in 1981, when he was an infant.

Sok has worked at a nonprofit organization that connects children to their incarcerated parents and as an organizer with the California Youth Justice Coalition.

“I believe I’ve done some good after paying the price for the crimes I committed. But immigration law does not see it that way,” Sok wrote in a 2017 edition of the Criminal Justice Newsletter. “It only sees the 17 year old that made those choices. It only sees the ‘bad hombre.’ I’m not that person anymore.”

Heng Lao, a small business owner in the Los Angeles area who served two years in prison for a 1998 assault, also was pardoned.

The pardons, which are filed with the secretary of state and the Legislature, wipe the crimes off the California Department of Justice and FBI books.

David Swing, the president of the California Police Chiefs Association, said he was surprised that the governor would release convicts serving life for murder.

“Clearly those are serious, violent offenders who committed very heinous crimes, and they should remain in custody,” Swing said. “I think that the residents of California deserve to live in a safe environment, and increasing the number of people in our communities who have the propensity to commit violent crime like murder makes the job of law enforcement more challenging.”
Old 08-18-18, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A gun store owner is in trouble after his store was robbed again. Full article below.

New York which prides itself on very strict gun laws, thrives on guns from out of state and stolen guns. Guns are one of the things that you can steal and is actually worth MORE than retail value on the street. This guy did not have any special security in the building. After each robbery the police would talk about how the building had little or no security, which made it a ripe target for the next robbery.

Spoiler:
Police arrested a Hilton man and raided multiple locations in the city of Rochester Friday following the theft of dozens of firearms from a Parma gun store. Dakota Safarty, 21, was charged with 2nd-degree burglary, 3rd-degree criminal mischief, and 4th-degree grand larceny and was arraigned in Parma Town Court.
Tactical teams from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office and Rochester Police Department executed search warrants on at least four locations Friday in an attempt to recover the stolen guns.
Sheriff Todd Baxter said that particular gun store, Chinappi’s Firearms and Supplies, has been a “persistent problem.”
As a result, MCSO investigators obtained a court order to close down the business and take control of its inventory, which Baxter described as “hundreds of guns and pallets of ammunition.”
“For more than a decade, the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office has attempted to work with the owner to improve security for his facility, Baxter said. “Failure to properly secure this store has resulted in a tremendous threat to the safety of the people of this county. This cannot be tolerated.”
Asked whether there were other similar gun shops in the county that caused similar concerns, Baxter said “I can’t think of one other one.” Chief Deputy Michael Fowler said the store owner showed up for work Thursday morning and saw that the shop had been broken into. He said the suspects forced entry through the back of the store. According to Fowler, the incident Thursday is the seventh burglary at Chinappi’s Firearms and Supplies, 5016 W. Ridge Road, since 2007. At least 82 firearms have been stolen from the store during that time, he added.
Officials are working through the “lengthy” regulatory process, which involves both state and federal licensing, to sort out options for a permanent solution, Fowler said. Deputies are in the process of taking an inventory of the firearms that had been at the store, and will hold those weapons until the regulatory process concludes. State Police and the ATF are also involved.
“[The owner] doesn’t deserve to have hundreds of firearms right now, and the fact is we as a society can’t afford to have those firearms walking out onto the streets,” Baxter said.
The store was also burglarized in February, when eight handguns were stolen. At that time, James Burroughs, resident agent in charge of the Rochester office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said the store didn’t have any external or internal surveillance cameras.
It’s unclear whether cameras have been added to the property since that incident. Elston Grimes Jr. of Rochester was charged in February in connection with the earlier burglary, deputies said. According to the Giffords Law Center, a legal nonprofit specializing in firearms legislation and reform, there are currently no special security requirements for gun stores in New York, as there are in states such as Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. When a theft occurs, stolen guns are added to a federal database so authorities can monitor where they might be recovered, used in crimes, or attempted to be resold, Burroughs said. Anyone with information on the stolen handguns and the burglary is asked to contact the ATF at (888) 283-4867, email [email protected], or through the agency’s website at www.atf.gov/ contact/atf-tips

As an FYI. The time I was robbed at gunpoint, the guy had been let out on bail less than 24 hours prior. So it doesn't take them long to get one if they have the cash.
Old 08-31-18, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Combine this with the disregarding of mental health issues...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is why I’ve joined <a href="https://twitter.com/MomsDemand?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MomsDemand</a>. my daughter came home from school today anxious about “the lockup drill” because her classroom doesn’t have a closet. A closet for her to hide in in the event of a shooter. She’s 7. She’s fucking 7.</p>&mdash; Richelle Pittman (@richellepittman) <a href="https://twitter.com/richellepittman/status/1034895465815453697?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 08-31-18, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Combine this with the disregarding of mental health issues...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is why I’ve joined <a href="https://twitter.com/MomsDemand?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MomsDemand</a>. my daughter came home from school today anxious about “the lockup drill” because her classroom doesn’t have a closet. A closet for her to hide in in the event of a shooter. She’s 7. She’s fucking 7.</p>&mdash; Richelle Pittman (@richellepittman) <a href="https://twitter.com/richellepittman/status/1034895465815453697?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
As most of you know I am a staunch gun rights supporter. I have been a victim of a gun crime. I also work in my community as a part time law enforcement officer. So I have seen all angles of the debate first hand. One area where we are in complete agreement is the mental health angle.

In retrospect it seems pretty clear to everyone that Mr. Gamer had some serious issues and should not have been granted permission to purchase. Unfortunately drafting legislation that spells out what qualifies, when mental illness is so subjective has been a sticking point. The ACLU fought some of it for being overly broad. In the most recent case the father was convinced his son did not have the severity of the problems but was an issue his mother was exploiting during a contentious divorce. For Cruz, that was not only a mental health issue, that was a MASSIVE failure of the system in place. Had the leads been forwarded to the FBI field office like they should have, most likely the tragedy could have been avoided.

My wife is a teacher so she has to do the lockdown drills. They have had lockdowns when something happened nearby just to be safe. Their rooms do not have closets either. These drill can be a scary thing for the kids. They have never had an in-school incident.

I think back to our day. We never had the duck and cover drills but we did do drills heading down the bomb shelter basement. That was a very anxious time.

Schools were never designed to be secure. By nature they are a soft target. They were designed to allow maximum ease for entry and exit. They are now being retrofitted to allow for more security.

Unfortunately the world we live in is so much different than our youth and will never return. Europe, which has long been seen as a haven due to their strict gun control laws, is seeing a similar changing of society. You can't look in any direction in Paris without seeing NUMEROUS heavily armed police. They are carrying military rifles at the ready along with sidearms. Same thing in London. Unthinkable a few years ago. They have found they can no longer rely on the restriction of purchase to keep them safe.

I also lament the loss of the overall general feeling of safety we once had. Hell. When I was in high school, in rural areas there were sportsmans clubs. People brought in their .22's to school on the school bus. Unbelieveable now.
Old 08-31-18, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post

I also lament the loss of the overall general feeling of safety we once had. Hell. When I was in high school, in rural areas there were sportsmans clubs. People brought in their .22's to school on the school bus. Unbelieveable now.
I understand what you are saying, and generally agree with the feelings you are expressing. It's also important to remember that the world is the best it has ever been.

You've got to look at life the way it oughta be
Looking at the stars from underneath the tree
There's a world inside and a world out there
With that TV you just don't care

They've got violence, wars and killing too
All shrunk down in a two-foot tube
But out there the world is a beautiful place
With mountains, lakes and the human race
Old 08-31-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We shouldn’t allow ourselves to throw up our hands in defeat and say “welp, nothing we can do. It is what it is.” That’s cowardly and, frankly, un-American. As Americans, we use to pride ourselves on overcoming difficult obstacles. We made it through the depression, beat the Nazis, developed atomic weapons, put a man on the moon, and defeated the Soviet Union and the communist ideology that seemed poised to take over the world. Yet, when the gun issue comes up, all of the sudden we can’t do anything about it and will just have to live with it.

I think the solution is relatively simple: change the culture, attitude, and dialog toward guns. They are deadly weapons that should be handled with care and respect, not toys you wear on your hip and brandish when your inferiority complex flairs up. Yes, we have the “right to bear arms,” but the second amendment also begins with “a well-regulated militia.” Owning a gun is a responsibility, one I’m seeing more and more people taking lightly. If you can’t handle guns responsibly, respectfully, and honorably, you shouldn’t have them.

Note: This is not being directed at anyone in this thread. These are my personal feelings toward gun ownership and the gun debate issue.
Old 08-31-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am far from a defeatist. I am one of those people that even in the event of a shooting I like to look at the 99.9% of gun owners that did nothing wrong. The million tourists that had a good time with no violence or crime. The millions who went to school and nothing happened. Yes those drills are scary for a kid, but even if every gun law was enacted, the drills would still be there.
Old 08-31-18, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am far from a defeatist. I am one of those people that even in the event of a shooting I like to look at the 99.9% of gun owners that did nothing wrong. The million tourists that had a good time with no violence or crime. The millions who went to school and nothing happened. Yes those drills are scary for a kid, but even if every gun law was enacted, the drills would still be there.
Yes, but that is true of all other products. Yes? For example cars. 99% of drivers don’t have issues. But we still regulate (heavily) all.

The classic “lawn dart” example. It only took one person to fight, and changes were made. Regardless of the 99% that had no issues.
Old 08-31-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING NEWS: Jacksonville video game shooter David Katz had 26 police callouts to his family home, was hospitalized TWICE in psychiatric units, took anti-psychotic drugs, and was deemed to have a capacity for violence by a psychologist - but STILL passed gun buying checks.</p>&mdash; Dave Vescio (@DaveVescio) <a href="https://twitter.com/DaveVescio/status/1034920520360181760?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 08-31-18, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING NEWS: Jacksonville video game shooter David Katz had 26 police callouts to his family home, was hospitalized TWICE in psychiatric units, took anti-psychotic drugs, and was deemed to have a capacity for violence by a psychologist - but STILL passed gun buying checks.</p>&mdash; Dave Vescio (@DaveVescio) <a href="https://twitter.com/DaveVescio/status/1034920520360181760?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
But the 2nd amendment
Old 08-31-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 08-31-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So you know how they keep saying that there's hundreds of school shootings each year? Where do they get that from, because NPR did some research, and of the 235 reported schools shootings last year, only 11 could be confirmed as having actually happened.

This shit doesn't help!
Old 09-01-18, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jason Boek follows an Uber that he thinks is carrying his girlfriend that he just got into a text message fight with (it was only carrying a friend of the girlfriend). He forces the Uber to stop, gets out of his truck, and approaches the Uber and says,

"You know I got a pistol? You want me to f****** shoot you?"

The Uber driver, Robert Westlake, immediately shoots him fatally. Boek had a cell phone in his hand, and apparently did not really have a gun. Westlake is not expected to be charged, because of Florida's stand your ground laws.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/30/us/st...ver/index.html

Old 09-01-18, 05:56 AM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

That’s bizarre.

Regarding this:
Originally Posted by big e View Post
We shouldn’t allow ourselves to throw up our hands in defeat and say “welp, nothing we can do. It is what it is.” That’s cowardly and, frankly, un-American. As Americans, we use to pride ourselves on overcoming difficult obstacles. We made it through the depression, beat the Nazis, developed atomic weapons, put a man on the moon, and defeated the Soviet Union and the communist ideology that seemed poised to take over the world. Yet, when the gun issue comes up, all of the sudden we can’t do anything about it and will just have to live with it.

I think the solution is relatively simple: change the culture, attitude, and dialog toward guns. They are deadly weapons that should be handled with care and respect, not toys you wear on your hip and brandish when your inferiority complex flairs up. Yes, we have the “right to bear arms,” but the second amendment also begins with “a well-regulated militia.” Owning a gun is a responsibility, one I’m seeing more and more people taking lightly. If you can’t handle guns responsibly, respectfully, and honorably, you shouldn’t have them.

Note: This is not being directed at anyone in this thread. These are my personal feelings toward gun ownership and the gun debate issue.
I 100% agree. I’ve been posting on here for a couple of years about how we need to change the gun culture. Well said.
Old 09-01-18, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Yes, but that is true of all other products. Yes? For example cars. 99% of drivers don’t have issues. But we still regulate (heavily) all.

The classic “lawn dart” example. It only took one person to fight, and changes were made. Regardless of the 99% that had no issues.
Where we differ is that I believe the 99% should not be penalized due to the 1. Liberals do not want the 99% of immigrants who cross the border to work the farm or who are otherwise peaceful to be penalized because of the 1% who commit violent or even non-violent crime. Same thing with me for guns. Especially legal gun owners.

I could not be more in agreement with you on the mental health issue.

For cars, we do heavily regulate them as far as safety features. In the last couple decades we have increased requirements for getting a license. (Unless you live in a state that wants to give them to illegals but that's another argument). However you have to fuck up pretty bad before your license is permanently taken away. We let you drive drunk what 3 times? If you are 101, you still have your license until you hit something or someone warns the DMV. If the DMV were to ignore that tip, nothing would happen until they hit someone. We heavily regulate automobiles themselves. The licensed drivers not so much. Do you have any idea how many times we pull people over with suspended or revoked licenses? A LOT. You know what happens to them. Naughty, naughty.

Lawn jarts was a fucking joke. I loved that game. Things like lawn jarts and center drains in pools were a travesty. Most of the people knew how to play the game, but the few that did not, created lawsuits and screamed to the government which made it impossible to continue. Zillions of people had center drains in their pool which made it far easier to keep clean. Some idiot who was maintaining a hotel pool made an unauthorized change. Some kid got stuck and drowned. Lawyers and government regulation drove the company out of business and now you can't get a crappy one for your pool at home when NOTHING ever happened to a home system and home systems were never powerful enough for the same thing to happen.

Last edited by JimRochester; 09-01-18 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-02-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Where we differ is that I believe the 99% should not be penalized due to the 1. Liberals do not want the 99% of immigrants who cross the border to work the farm or who are otherwise peaceful to be penalized because of the 1% who commit violent or even non-violent crime. Same thing with me for guns. Especially legal gun owners.

I could not be more in agreement with you on the mental health issue.

For cars, we do heavily regulate them as far as safety features. In the last couple decades we have increased requirements for getting a license. (Unless you live in a state that wants to give them to illegals but that's another argument). However you have to fuck up pretty bad before your license is permanently taken away. We let you drive drunk what 3 times? If you are 101, you still have your license until you hit something or someone warns the DMV. If the DMV were to ignore that tip, nothing would happen until they hit someone. We heavily regulate automobiles themselves. The licensed drivers not so much. Do you have any idea how many times we pull people over with suspended or revoked licenses? A LOT. You know what happens to them. Naughty, naughty.

Lawn jarts was a fucking joke. I loved that game. Things like lawn jarts and center drains in pools were a travesty. Most of the people knew how to play the game, but the few that did not, created lawsuits and screamed to the government which made it impossible to continue. Zillions of people had center drains in their pool which made it far easier to keep clean. Some idiot who was maintaining a hotel pool made an unauthorized change. Some kid got stuck and drowned. Lawyers and government regulation drove the company out of business and now you can't get a crappy one for your pool at home when NOTHING ever happened to a home system and home systems were never powerful enough for the same thing to happen.
Where I think we differ is what we call “penalize”. Is it really a penalty to have a waiting period? Is it really a penalty for a more extensive background check? Is it really a penalty to fill out more paper work? Is it really a penalty to limit availability of certain guns (just like certain cars cannot be sold here). Is it really a penalty to close the gun show loop holes? Is it really a penalty to have a mental health check before buying a gun?

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with particular regulation. I was simply countering your point that just because 99% of people do something safely doesn’t mean we should not regulate. I just gave a couple of simple quick examples. It applies to almost everything. Most don’t drink and drive or get in DUI accidents, yet would we never call it a “penalty” to make it illegal for anyone to drink and drive.

I’m not sure the rant on drivers license. When my son got a DUI it was an automatic 1 year suspension of his DL then like 18 months w/a breathe controller on his car. That’s pretty steep considering he wasn’t even in an accident.

Tho if I understand you correctly, you would support more regulation of the person, rather than the gun? I would agree. Mental health check should be mandatory. As is training, testing, registration. Also, ability to lock the gun up safely in the home, keeping ammo seperate from the gun.
Old 09-02-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Jason Boek follows an Uber that he thinks is carrying his girlfriend that he just got into a text message fight with (it was only carrying a friend of the girlfriend). He forces the Uber to stop, gets out of his truck, and approaches the Uber and says,
That's the dumbest fucking thing I read ... since I woke up this morning. I'm sure I'll read about more stupid people doing more stupid things by the end of the day.

The drama that some people create in their lives is incredible. Dude gets in a text message fight with his girlfriend, which devolves into a car chase, threatens the Uber driver (who doesn't really have anything to do with it), and ends with getting shot and killed. And the girlfriend was never in the car.

I don't think that kind of fire exists inside of me. Let that shit go, broh.

Also: I have no problem with what the Uber driver did. He was just cut off the road and threatened with violence. If I walk into a bank and say I'm going to shoot the teller, and get shot by a security guard, the security guard isn't to blame. Right?

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 09-02-18 at 09:56 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.