Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: What is more representative of a "WAR ON CHRISTIANITY"
telling a for-profit, open-to-the-public baker he cant' have a "no gays" policy
25.00%
the burning of black churches in South Carolina
75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

War On Christianity

Old 07-01-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: War On Christianity

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Obviously the very concepts of religious freedom, freedom of conscience and equal rights for minority religions, as we understand them today, evolved and arose almost exclusively from Christian civilization, and from populations that were overwhelmingly Christian.
Really? That'll surprise the heck out of the Romans.
Old 07-01-15, 02:38 PM
Banned by request

The fact that gay people weren't allowed to marry in the US had nothing to do with Christianity? Come on, you know that's absolute nonsense.
Christianity was a contributing factor initially, but the underlying argument for same sex marriage has nothing to do with Christianity.

Also there are Christian churches who have no problem performing same sex marriages, and one even sued for the right to do so as part of their religious freedoms. So I don't see how gay rights could possibly be seen as a war on Christianity.

By your logic, the fact that I don't keep the Sabbath holy, even though I'm not a Christian and prevent no Christians from keeping the Sabbath, is a war on Christianity.
Old 07-01-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Two different things.

You're talking about personal behavior vs. public policy.

The question was, "Whose beliefs are imposed upon society?"
In that case, the government's beliefs. The Constitution and the laws that have been put in place.

Last edited by magiccmom; 07-01-15 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Really? That'll surprise the heck out of the Romans.
Yes, the Jews and Christians always had smooth relations with the Roman authorities pursuant to the complete religious freedom they enjoyed.
Old 07-01-15, 02:45 PM
Banned by request

The Jews were treated better under the Romans then they were under Christians until they (the Jews) tried to rebel.
Old 07-01-15, 02:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by magiccmom View Post
In that case, the government's beliefs. The Constitution and the laws that have been put in place.
And who decides the government's beliefs? And the state and local laws under which you are governed?

(To avoid continual questions/answers, let's cut to the chase):

A majority decides. The majority of your state/county, the majority of the country who elect Congress, the majority of the SCOTUS (who are nominated by the elected POTUS and confirmed by the elected Senate), etc.

Whether you acknowledge it or not, you are governed by other's beliefs at times, and you do impose your beliefs upon others at other times. That is an inescapable fact.

Laws & Constitutions change & can be amended (again, by the will of a majority). And when it comes down to interpreting the Constitution, that is done by a majority of the Court...who, once again, are indirectly elected by a majority of the people (see above).

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-01-15 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Wait, when does Sharia Law get imposed? I must have missed that meeting, I mean, ....something.
I will send you the information tonight via ham radio <strike>comrade</strike> buddy.
Old 07-01-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, the Jews and Christians always had smooth relations with the Roman authorities pursuant to the complete religious freedom they enjoyed.
Oh, like those Christians that never actually got fed to the lions or those Jews that never revolted and wandered around for 40 year?

You are aware that the world existed before Christians right?
Old 07-01-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
You are aware that the world existed before Christians right?
Only for about 3700 years.
Old 07-01-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't vote in the poll because neither situation struck me as indicative of a war on Christianity. The baker is not acting as an agent of his religion when he sells his goods--he is acting as an agent of his business, and a licensed business is required to serve everyone equally, with no discrimination because of membership in a particular group.

The churches that are being burned are being burned because they are black churches, not because they are Christian churches.

Lastly, there is no "war" on Christianity. What there is, is a lot of sour-grapes Christians who are sulking because after more than two hundred years, they finally got told in no uncertain terms (by the Supreme Court, no less) that their day of getting to tell everyone else what's normal or not normal--or who could marry who--has passed. That's two hundred years of having their cultural norms treated as if they were EVERYBODY'S cultural norms. Of course they're whingeing about it now. Nobody likes giving up the shotgun seat.
Old 07-01-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The more I read Ky-Fi, the more I find myself in favor of the War on Christianity.
Old 07-01-15, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
The more I read Ky-Fi, the more I find myself in favor of the War on Christianity.
Now THAT'S what I come to this forum for.
Old 07-01-15, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
And who decides the government's beliefs? And the state and local laws under which you are governed?

(To avoid continual questions/answers, let's cut to the chase):

A majority decides. The majority of your state/county, the majority of the country who elect Congress, the majority of the SCOTUS (who are nominated by the elected POTUS and confirmed by the elected Senate), etc.

Whether you acknowledge it or not, you are governed by other's beliefs at times, and you do impose your beliefs upon others at other times. That is an inescapable fact.

Laws & Constitutions change & can be amended (again, by the will of a majority). And when it comes down to interpreting the Constitution, that is done by a majority of the Court...who, once again, are indirectly elected by a majority of the people (see above).
I agree with you on that. But it seems to be the laws are made to ensure equal rights to all, not just Christians. And by far the laws are about insuring safety and order without having to incorporate religion. Now you can cite abortion and gay marriage is against your religion, but there is no law saying YOU have to have an abortion or a gay marriage if you don't want to. You can believe it to be against your religion, you just can't decide that for me.
Old 07-01-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with you on that. But it seems to be the laws are made to ensure equal rights to all, not just Christians. And by far the laws are about insuring safety and order without having to incorporate religion. Now you can cite abortion and gay marriage is against your religion, but there is no law saying YOU have to have an abortion or a gay marriage if you don't want to. You can believe it to be against your religion, you just can't decide that for me.
Old 07-01-15, 05:47 PM

You live in a country that has had centuries of mostly Christians debating and deciding where Jewish people fit into the US, and those are reflected in the laws and society that we now have. That's the answer to your question.
Christians deciding where Jewish people fit into the US? And based on how Christians decided where we fit in that is the laws of the society we now have? What laws of the society do we now have that reflect where Christians feel I fit in? What does this even mean?
Old 07-01-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You might find this interesting magiccmom :

Jewish Cheerleader in the Bible Belt

http://www.aish.com/sp/so/Jewish-Che...ible-Belt.html
Old 07-01-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Christians deciding where Jewish people fit into the US? And based on how Christians decided where we fit in that is the laws of the society we now have? What laws of the society do we now have that reflect where Christians feel I fit in? What does this even mean?
I'll try one more time:

You live in a country that has had centuries of mostly Christians debating and deciding the rights of all people (including religious minorities) in the US. You enjoy the freedom of religion, conscience and association that you have today because of the beliefs and values those people (overwhelmingly Christian) had, and the subsequent laws they wrote and enacted.
Old 07-01-15, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

Well I guess what KY means by deciding where we fit in. Certainly not on a cheerleading squad in the Bible Belt.
Old 07-01-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that anecdote is perhaps slightly less significant than the confluence of left-wing anti-"Zionist" sentiment and Muslim Jew hatred in Europe:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/16/europe...sm-in-denmark/
Old 07-01-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll try one more time:

You live in a country that has had centuries of mostly Christians debating and deciding the rights of all people (including religious minorities) in the US. You enjoy the freedom of religion, conscience and association that you have today because of the beliefs and values those people (overwhelmingly Christian) had, and the subsequent laws they wrote and enacted.
I'm sorry but....It aaaalways seems to boil down to a bunch of White mostly male Christians deciding what's good for the rest doesn't it.

Your post reads as if Jews should bow down and kiss the rings of Christians for letting them live "free" with basic Human Rights.
Old 07-01-15, 06:38 PM

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that anecdote is perhaps slightly less significant than the confluence of left-wing anti-"Zionist" sentiment and Muslim Jew hatred in Europe:

Anti-Semitism is nothing you need to tell me about, in the US or in Europe. We all are fighting wars against who we are. I feel it as a Jew, you feel it as a Christian. Muslims feel it. Gays feel it. Blacks feel it. That's why this thread is very silly, don't you think?
Old 07-01-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk God

You sinners are just lucky we even let you exist in God's country, I say.
Old 07-01-15, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I'm sorry but....It aaaalways seems to boil down to a bunch of White mostly male Christians deciding what's good for the rest doesn't it.

Your post reads as if Jews should bow down and kiss the rings of Christians for letting them live "free" with basic Human Rights.
Thank you, Jesus!!! Oh, wait........
Old 07-01-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I'm sorry but....It aaaalways seems to boil down to a bunch of White mostly male Christians deciding what's good for the rest doesn't it....

Your post reads as if Jews should bow down and kiss the rings of Christians for letting them live "free".
I'm just stating historical fact. America has been, and even now is still, overwhelmingly Christian. When people want to point out that the horrible treatment of native Americans, blacks, women, jews, etc in American history is an example of Christian civilization, I'm not going to dispute that, because it's true. It is what it is. But many people here seem willing to admit that half of it, and then construct their own fantasy history for the other side, where presumably transgender Muslim atheists of color wrested power from the evil Christians (probably in the 1960s) and changed the US from a slave-holding Christian theocracy to a bastion of liberal democracy, whereby slavery was ended, civil rights enacted, freedom of speech and religion granted--all against the will of the evil Christians.

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 07-01-15 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Christians deciding where Jewish people fit into the US?
We're talking about the US not Europe or the Middle East.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.