Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: What is more representative of a "WAR ON CHRISTIANITY"
telling a for-profit, open-to-the-public baker he cant' have a "no gays" policy
25.00%
the burning of black churches in South Carolina
75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

War On Christianity

Old 07-01-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: War On Christianity

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
But again, that's not a war on Christianity. That's a Christian war on gay people.

A war on Christianity would be attempts to legislate away the religious rights of Christians (and only Christians), or mobs roaming the streets looking for Christians to attack.

I don't see how letting gay people marry each other is a war on Christianity, except for the fact that Christians declared war on gay rights and ended up losing that battle.
As I said, it depends on how you define "war". If you don't believe the term "culture wars" is valid, okay.
Old 07-01-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 655 Likes on 468 Posts

Human rights: people being able to live their life in dignity, without fear of discrimination based on race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Christian zealots: "But gay marriage discriminates against my beliefs! War on Christianity! Argh!"

Bullshit. You're still free to believe what you want and practice your religion, and nobody is forcing to to become gay, marry another gay person, or attend gay marriages. And if you don't agree with the first sentence I wrote, than your a racist or a bigot, and discrimination against racists and bigots is not only fine by me, it should be encouraged.
Old 07-01-15, 01:09 PM
Banned

Too busy trying to sort out the War on Women.

So far, She Who Must Be Obeyed is winning.
Old 07-01-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Human rights: people being able to live their life in dignity, without fear of discrimination based on race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Christian zealots: "But gay marriage discriminates against my beliefs! War on Christianity! Argh!"

Bullshit. You're still free to believe what you want and practice your religion, and nobody is forcing to to become gay, marry another gay person, or attend gay marriages. And if you don't agree with the first sentence I wrote, than your a racist or a bigot, and discrimination against racists and bigots is not only fine by me, it should be encouraged.
Very well said, and I think we all appreciate your tireless efforts on behalf of gay rights in the Palestinian territories.
Old 07-01-15, 01:22 PM
Banned

What is most representative of a war on Christianity is the battle within the church to maintain faithfulness to scriptural doctrine.
Old 07-01-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
It depends on what you mean by "war", but obviously Christianity is a fundamental obstacle to many of the goals and values of progressivism and leftism
You seem to be under the impression, like Huckabee or Cruz, that marriage is exclusively a religious ceremony (and more specifically a Christian ceremony). It's not. No one has "re-defined" marriage because no one religion "owns" marriage. That's why millions of people get married by a justice of the peace, a ship captain, a person with a certificate off the internet, or in a fake chapel in Vegas with Elvis observing. (I'm in the latter camp.)

Yes, equality for gays is a leftist ideal but "marriage" for gays is not. Marriage is a contract between two people, no one ever asked to see my genitals in the courthouse. I actually didn't even have to do the ceremony - we were already married just by signing the documents.
Old 07-01-15, 01:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As I said, it depends on how you define "war". If you don't believe the term "culture wars" is valid, okay.
I believe culture wars are a thing, but I think it's disingenuous to call gay rights a war on Christianity. Christians waged war on gay people, not vice versa.
Old 07-01-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 655 Likes on 468 Posts

Very well said, and I think we all appreciate your tireless efforts on behalf of gay rights in the Palestinian territories.
I know it's a huge task, but I prefer helping out my good friends to the South.
Old 07-01-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Yes, equality for gays is a leftist ideal but "marriage" for gays is not.
Really? Is that the general consensus here?
Old 07-01-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 169 Likes on 112 Posts

Gay marriage in only the beginning of the vast left wing conspiracy to overthrow Christianity...MUAHAHA!!! Next up on the agenda will be getting laws passed to make Mao's "The Little Red Book" & Marx's "Das Kapital" mandatory reading in all schools.
Old 07-01-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe culture wars are a thing, but I think it's disingenuous to call gay rights a war on Christianity. Christians waged war on gay people, not vice versa.
So how did Christians lose the war if nobody fought back?
Old 07-01-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Gay marriage in only the beginning of the vast left wing conspiracy to overthrow Christianity...MUAHAHA!!! Next up on the agenda will be getting laws passed to make Mao's "The Little Red Book" & Marx's "Das Kapital" mandatory reading in all schools.
You mean...like what actually happened over half the globe? Yeah, what an unrealistic, exaggerated fantasy scenario that is! Is your cognitive dissonance so great that you don't even understand that actually happened?
Old 07-01-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 169 Likes on 112 Posts

Old 07-01-15, 01:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So how did Christians lose the war if nobody fought back?
You're not taking my point. Gay people wanting rights wasn't an attack on Christianity. It has nothing to do with Christianity. No one was saying, "Hey, what's the best way to fuck with Christians? I know, gay marriage!"

Gay people were being denied rights, not by Christians, but by the government. The tax incentives that come with marriage. Rights of inheritance from your significant other, rights of hospital access, rights of attorney, etc. Again, none of these things had to do with Christians.

Gay people understood the best way to get these rights was to make marriage legal between members of the same sex. Again, nothing to do with Christianity.

Christians then butted their heads in and made it an issue about their religious rights, which it never was.

Tell me, was the SCOTUS case that got heard between a gay man and a Christian organization, or between a gay man and an agent of the state?

Let me know when Christian clergy is forced by the state to perform same sex marriages against their will, then I will absolutely agree with you that there is a war with Christianity going on in the United States.
Old 07-01-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm Jewish. What I believe or practice in my religion is besides the point, but I will tell you I do not believe the Bible is truth or that Jesus is God, and I never will. It is not in my reasoning skills to ever do so.

So my question is to Christians, where do you believe I belong in the structure of society? Am I to follow your guidelines of right and wrong, or live by your scripture even though it is not my belief. Do you think I am a second class citizens bound by your scripture? I just want to know where I, or any other faith, or non faith belong in this world in your eyes. Most of you answer according to a Bible that I and many others don't believe in. Should government be run by Christian beliefs that have nothing to do with me?
Old 07-01-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're not taking my point. Gay people wanting rights wasn't an attack on Christianity. It has nothing to do with Christianity.
The fact that gay people weren't allowed to marry in the US had nothing to do with Christianity? Come on, you know that's absolute nonsense.
Old 07-01-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by magiccmom View Post
So my question is to Christians, where do you believe I belong in the structure of society? Am I to follow your guidelines of right and wrong, or live by your scripture even though it is not my belief. Do you think I am a second class citizens bound by your scripture? I just want to know where I, or any other faith, or non faith belong in this world in your eyes. Most of you answer according to a Bible that I and many others don't believe in. Should government be run by Christian beliefs that have nothing to do with me?
Obviously the very concepts of religious freedom, freedom of conscience and equal rights for minority religions, as we understand them today, evolved and arose almost exclusively from Christian civilization, and from populations that were overwhelmingly Christian.
Old 07-01-15, 02:12 PM

Obviously the very concepts of religious freedom, freedom of conscience and equal rights for minority religions, as we understand them today, evolved and arose almost exclusively from Christian civilization, and from populations that were overwhelmingly Christian.
That doesn't answer my question, though.
Old 07-01-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Really? Is that the general consensus here?
I think its a general consensus that marriage is a contract and does not require a religious component in any way.
Old 07-01-15, 02:13 PM
Banned

What I believe or practice in my Should government be run by Christian beliefs that have nothing to do with me?
Whose beliefs should be imposed?
Old 07-01-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Wait, when does Sharia Law get imposed? I must have missed that meeting, I mean, ....something.
Old 07-01-15, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Whose beliefs should be imposed?
I live my life according to my own beliefs. I don't live my life according to your beliefs.

I don't expect you to live your life according to my beliefs. Do you expect me to live my life according to your beliefs?
Old 07-01-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm Jewish. What I believe or practice in my religion is besides the point, but I will tell you I do not believe the Bible is truth or that Jesus is God, and I never will. It is not in my reasoning skills to ever do so.

You are obviously a tier below Christians but only because they need you for Jesus to come back. Before he casts you into hell on Judgement Day. But don't worry, Christians have no use for us (atheist/agnostics) at all so we are WELL below you in the hierarchy.
Old 07-01-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That doesn't answer my question, though.
You live in a country that has had centuries of mostly Christians debating and deciding where Jewish people fit into the US, and those are reflected in the laws and society that we now have. That's the answer to your question.
Old 07-01-15, 02:35 PM
Banned

I live my life according to my own beliefs. I don't live my life according to your beliefs.

I don't expect you to live your life according to my beliefs. Do you expect me to live my life according to your beliefs?
Two different things.

You're talking about personal behavior vs. public policy.

The question was, "Whose beliefs are imposed?" We are talking about societal rules & laws...not anyone running around individually & forcing people do anything (such as take their kids to school...there are compulsory school attendance laws enforced by school boards, courts & police, if necessary).

You may say that you don't "live your life" according to anyone else's beliefs, but you sure can be fined/imprisoned/executed for doing so. Obviously, somebody has some power over your behavior.

Every time you vote, you are voting to "impose your beliefs" upon those who don't agree with you. If everyone agreed, we would need only one political party & no courts.

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-01-15 at 02:40 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.