Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

You don't need to know were your meat comes from!

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-30-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

How in the fuck can the House justify voting for taking origin of meat OFF of labels? How in the hell is this not a case of our "representatives" being bought off by the industry, blinding us from their shady practices?

How in the hell does this even happen?

I have a local butcher who sources all his meat locally, cutting everything to order, even ground beef - so a pound of hamburger meat will be from one cow instead of a few hundred.
Old 06-30-15, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 808 Likes on 543 Posts
Re: You don't need to know were your meat comes from!

I'm sure someone will come in defending this. I don't like this at all.
Old 06-30-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Hilarious!

I'll stick to buying from responsible grocers. So it won't apply to me.

Can someone sum up WHY this is happening? Is it a "big government is over regulating" thing?
Old 06-30-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably happening because the corporate meat producers lobbied hard.
Old 06-30-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Black, White, Gay, etc.. We need to stop labeling things. I am all for this

But not really.
DVD Talk Legend

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/0...abels-on-meat/

U.S. lawmakers are weighing the fate of country-of-origin labels, known as COOL, after the World Trade Organization said in May that the existing requirement discriminates against animals from Canada and Mexico. Following their win at the WTO, both Canada and Mexico are now threatening retaliatory measures totaling more than a combined $3 billion. Canada has threatened trade restrictions on a range of U.S. products, including meat, wine, chocolate, jewelry and furniture.
Sounds like any ire should be directed at the World Trade Organization (and/or Canada & Mexico).
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

So, if it matters to you, only buy it from places that disclose the location. Whew, crisis averted.
Old 06-30-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not so much that the issue, in and of itself, matters to me (knowing where my meat comes from - though I would like to know, and like I said, I have a butcher I can use - pricey, but worth it). No, my main issue is that lawmakers are acting on behest of corporations rather than their constituents. And who's to say they won't just make things worse?
Old 06-30-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It's not so much that the issue, in and of itself, matters to me (knowing where my meat comes from - though I would like to know, and like I said, I have a butcher I can use - pricey, but worth it). No, my main issue is that lawmakers are acting on behest of corporations rather than their constituents. And who's to say they won't just make things worse?
This comes as news to you? Name one thing that has passed any Congress and been signed into law that did not have outside interests as a major consideration for the final output of the law?
Old 06-30-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does seem unusual to move the other direction on something like this.

I would have thought it more likely that they start putting warning labels on red meat, next to a photo of the cow you are going to consume, it's name, and what it wanted to do when it grew up until it was slaughtered for your disgusting habit of consuming living creatures.
Old 06-30-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
This comes as news to you? Name one thing that has passed any Congress and been signed into law that did not have outside interests as a major consideration for the final output of the law?
It just seems so fucking blatant now, and no one really seems to be calling them out on it.
Old 06-30-15, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Probably because one side only calls the other side out on this stuff. It's okay when it is an interest I support, it sucks when it is an interest I do not support.
Old 06-30-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It just seems so fucking blatant now, and no one really seems to be calling them out on it.
Forwarding this thread to my congressman.
Old 06-30-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They just defeated Prop 37 here in California, which would've pointed out GMOs on food labels. Voters voted that down - they actually fucking voted for less information! I'm going insane thinking how that could've happened.
Old 06-30-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe they followed the science that GMOs are safe and did not want the added cost of labeling requirements.
Old 06-30-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If people want GMO-free food, why can't manufacturers of GMO-free foods put labels indicating the food is GMO-free?
Old 06-30-15, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe they followed the science that GMOs are safe and did not want the added cost of labeling requirements.
I use to think this, but more information to the consumer can't be a bad thing. If they are "too stupid to understand it," it still isn't reason to keep information from them.
Old 06-30-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I use to think this, but more information to the consumer can't be a bad thing. If they are "too stupid to understand it," it still isn't reason to keep information from them.
I think if it is a major concern you can find this information out online and there is nothing stopping anyone from saying "GMO-free" or "this cow was named Fred" on anything
Old 06-30-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
If people want GMO-free food, why can't manufacturers of GMO-free foods put labels indicating the food is GMO-free?
They do. And that's the point. And that's why somewhere as liberal and conscious as CA don't see the need for legislation.

I only eat "elitist" groceries (mostly Whole Foods, a local boutique grocer and a butcher). Those are grocery stores I trust.

Furthermore, even within the "regular" grocery store I shop at, it's not hard to pick up the package, check for a "made in" tag, and put it down if I don't like that it's not labeled.

Same goes for GMO-free foods. If the manufacturer cares, they label it. If they don't care, it's something I probably won't buy anyways. Though I'm not on the GMO bandwagon yet. It's nice to see it. But I won't refuse to buy a bag of chips because they're not labeled non-GMO.
Old 06-30-15, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Old 06-30-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Would you say we should include the make and model and year of the trucks that transported the food, and the addresses of any warehouses where it was stored, and the amount of rainfall that a crop was exposed to while it was in a field, and the average daily temperature, along with the maximum and minimum temperatures, that it was exposed to? That's more information to the consumer, after all. The act of requiring information to be on a label gives it legitimacy and an implied relevance.
Old 06-30-15, 08:03 PM

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts

I think GMO free food should be labeled, so that I can avoid it.
Old 06-30-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

This about something I put into my body.

Comparing food labels to shopping for a Ford F-150 is not that great of a comparison.

Obama and those in his administration have historically been pro-corporate when it comes to consumer information.

Read about Monsanto and how they struck a deal with Obama.
Old 06-30-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't looked into the bill, but the article does a bit of fear mongering when it comes to the safety of imported beef. Brazil had had two confirmed cases of Mad Cow disease in the past 5 years, and neither were due to unsafe production methods. In both cases old cows died of natural causes and tested positive for the protein that causes mad cow, which can develop spontaneously in older cows, afaik neither had developed the disease and it was not their cause of death. Both cows were grass fed, so it didn't come from tainted feed, and since they died of natural causes they were not in the food chain. Investigations by agencies outside of Brazil in both cases confirmed they were atypical spontaneous developments of the protein.

Frankly, their track record is better than here in the US where random test have caught infected cows that were in the food chain.
Old 06-30-15, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the cost of labeling were the issue, half the food in the supermarket wouldn't have giant "GLUTEN FREE" or "LOW CARB" spangles on the packaging. Food producers have no issue putting useless data on their packaging if it'll increase their sales.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.