Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

You don't need to know were your meat comes from!

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

You don't need to know were your meat comes from!

Old 07-04-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: You don't need to know were your meat comes from!

This will affect poor people. Pure and simple. You think poor people can afford to shop at Whole Foods or specialty stores? No, they will continue to buy wherever their dollar goes further and if that spot happens to sell meat that doesn't tell you where it comes from, well, then so be it.
Old 07-04-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

And we blame consumers for eating unhealthy.
Old 07-04-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Your water probably does contain uranium. And a million other things. Just not in quantities that are in the least bit dangerous.
So, I need a 3 page booklet with my water bottle
Old 07-04-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Some GMOs are bad some are good. What's your point? Regardless, I don't know why you're harping on this as my point has been about country of origin. Even my bananas have that on them. I only brought up GMOs because of the CA proposition that didn't pass.
This answer exemplifies my point nicely.

But I will leave it at that as you are right, this is a thread about meat labeling, so I will stop derailing it. Especially since I don't consider myself well informed enough to voice an opinion about whether or not meats should have mandatory country of origin labels or not. And I don't like to form opinions about things I know little about (and certainly not start posting said uninformed opinions)...
Old 07-04-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We have country of origin labels on clothing.

Why not meat.
Old 07-04-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

We actually have country of origin labels on just about every product made. Not just clothing. It's done for import/export reasons. I'm not aware of any products that don't have an origin location on them. If not on the item itself, it's always on the packaging.

Why not meat?

On one hand, I want the WTO to be satisfied and I don't want any animosity from international markets. It will deescalate concerns if we let it pass. I don't think it will change the market in the slightest. And it may even hurt sales for anyone who doesn't want to label their packaging. We could also see a backlash from grocers, given the media attention this has gotten.

On the other hand, yes, every good out there has a "made in" ID on it. Why does the WTO and international markets have to be such a-holes about this? The companies are not worried about international trade hassles, nor the cost of labeling. The cost to add/remove a "made in" to an inkjet coder is too-low to calculate. Their case is that they think that consumers have prejudice about buying meats from outside the USA.

We're also not led to believe that meat is better or worse from foreign countries. If I eat a steak from Central America, and it's the best I ever had, I might continue to buy.

I'm really not sure who wins or loses either way.
Old 07-04-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll have to research more but the WTO have not been favorable to particular countries and less concern for informed consumers.

Information is education.
Old 07-04-15, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Old 07-05-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does contain dihydrogen monoxide,, a substance responsible for more deaths than probably anything else And a universal solvent.

SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.
Old 07-06-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not really sure it matters where shirts come from either. It would not kill anything to put a made in wherever sticker on meat ... but it also seems easy enough to find out for the relatively small percentage of the population that cares about gluten, made in the usa, gmo, free range, whatever ... and if you do care about that stuff, you are probably shopping at Whole Foods and the like anyway
This is what we are aspiring to be? A ("relatively large percentage of") society who continues not to give a flying fuck about anything? And then you wonder why health care costs are skyrocketing. Why not progress in this area? I actually think we are progressing on food and there seems to be a contingent who is fearful or stubborn.
Old 07-06-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But just because information is important to you doesn't mean that information needs to be mandated for everybody.
Sometimes, isolated quotes are amusing. The shit people will argue here is incredible. I cannot imagine this sentence coming in a sensible conversation unless partisan politics is involved. (And why the right has leapt on the right of food manufacturers to blur information is beyond me.)
Old 07-06-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
This is what we are aspiring to be? A ("relatively large percentage of") society who continues not to give a flying fuck about anything? And then you wonder why health care costs are skyrocketing. Why not progress in this area? I actually think we are progressing on food and there seems to be a contingent who is fearful or stubborn.

Weird. I agree with you.
Old 07-06-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

C'mon, we agree sometimes.
Old 07-06-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I agree, knowing where the food I eat comes from and what is in it is a bit more important than knowing my baseball cap was made by a 4 year old in some country I have never heard of. Even if GMOs are scientifically proven to be safe I think food should still have to be labled so if I don't want it I don't have to get it. I should also be able to find out where my produce was grown by looking at the sticker on it. I should have choices.

This is just another political thing where you can usually see which side people lean by whether they are for or against it.
The idea sounds simple, but it's not. Take a granola bar. Start identifying all of the varied ingredients. The does the granola bar production company have to screen all of the vendors that provide ingredients? Do those vendors have to get certified organic to be able to provide the ingredients for that granola bar? Who eats that cost? A production factory doesn't just make one thing in it, so cross contamination happens often. Which is why they put peanut warning labels on food products that don't have peanuts on them. Does an entire factory have to make changes?

Enjoy hard cheese? Too bad... All hard cheese is genetically modified.

I think the biggest issue is people don't understand GMO science. They demand products be free of GMO even on products and produce where no commercial GMO food exists. If they understood how it all worked they'd understand that GMO food is thousands of times safer than traditional breeding methods.

Old 07-06-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The meat labeling issue is about money.

If you want labeling on meat, you will have to either pay more taxes, or pay for a specified meat tax.

If you don't want mandatory labeling, then food will cost the same (actually, it'd cost a bit lower probably).

That's it.
Old 07-06-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 439 Posts

If I wanted labelling on my meat, I'd get a tatoo.
Old 07-06-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
The meat labeling issue is about money.

If you want labeling on meat, you will have to either pay more taxes, or pay for a specified meat tax.

If you don't want mandatory labeling, then food will cost the same (actually, it'd cost a bit lower probably).

That's it.
But it's already labeled - this new law actually lets them leave it off.
Are they going to lower their prices now?
Old 07-06-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
But it's already labeled - this new law actually lets them leave it off.
Are they going to lower their prices now?
Its was off first, then they added the labels recently. Canada & Mexico will fine us their loss in yearly revenue because they say our new labels is costing them money. The Government will pass that cost onto us eventually.

Last edited by Navinabob; 07-06-15 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-07-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those who want to know what the added costs of GMO labeling would be and how cost prohibited it is:

http://thefoodiefarmer.blogspot.com/...-labeling.html

Good breakdown from Scientific American:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...re-a-bad-idea/

and Science Blog:

http://scienceblogs.com/tomorrowstab...-why-gmo-labe/
Old 07-07-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
If I wanted labelling on my meat, I'd get a tatoo.
You'd need to label it, so you'd remember how to spell tattoo.
Old 07-07-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
You'd need to label it, so you'd remember how to spell tattoo.
Not if I did it in French.
Old 07-07-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Since when to GMOs affect health, or free range, or made in the US.

Everything from from another country is inherently unhealthy?
Old 07-07-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good breakdown from Scientific American:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...re-a-bad-idea/
From that article

Many people argue for GMO labels in the name of increased consumer choice. On the contrary, such labels have limited people's options. In 1997, a time of growing opposition to GMOs in Europe, the E.U. began to require them. By 1999, to avoid labels that might drive customers away, most major European retailers had removed genetically modified ingredients from products bearing their brand. Major food producers such as Nestlé followed suit. Today it is virtually impossible to find GMOs in European supermarkets.
I don't mind GMOs. No problem with them at all. I think they do great things. But the argument is generally that people are too stupid so we have to protect them by giving them less information. Personally, it sounds like the solution is to give them more education. But the above quote really only says to me that the food companies are giving their customers what they want. To me it doesn't matter why they want it, be it stupidity or something else. If that is what they want, then give it to them. If there are good reasons to eat GMOs (I can think of several), then put out PSAs, scientific findings in health text books, etc. But this idea (not saying you believe it) that we should just give people less information because they are dumb simply isn't how we should treat other people in the market place, imo.

As for the fines for labeling country of origin for meat....let's face it, our government is spending so much money that we don't have every day, so it's not like writing another check will kill us.
Old 07-07-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
From that article

I don't mind GMOs. No problem with them at all. I think they do great things. But the argument is generally that people are too stupid so we have to protect them by giving them less information. Personally, it sounds like the solution is to give them more education. But the above quote really only says to me that the food companies are giving their customers what they want. To me it doesn't matter why they want it, be it stupidity or something else. If that is what they want, then give it to them. If there are good reasons to eat GMOs (I can think of several), then put out PSAs, scientific findings in health text books, etc. But this idea (not saying you believe it) that we should just give people less information because they are dumb simply isn't how we should treat other people in the market place, imo.

As for the fines for labeling country of origin for meat....let's face it, our government is spending so much money that we don't have every day, so it's not like writing another check will kill us.
The article is good as a overview, but they really could have explained things bit a little better. I think choice and cost are sort of entwined at this point. In Europe a "GMO label" does not require separation of production at every stage as what's demanded here for US labeling purposes. (See below as an example of a label in the EU). They have a lot of "maybe GMO" in their processed foods. People are surprising okay with "maybe" in Europe. So when they say they're GMO free, what they are really saying "We are GMO free *winkwink*".

They did just as much work as it takes right up until it take effort or money and they stopped.

I would love the idea of giving people more education, however people are idiots. Sometimes you gotta protect people from their own stupidity.
Old 07-07-15, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would love the idea of giving people more education, however people are idiots. Sometimes you gotta protect people from their own stupidity.
Why do you hate evolution?

I say quit protecting them or Idiocracy will come reality.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.