Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

SJW, MRA, Puppies and other assorted stuff

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-24-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Will the objections to "Confederate symbols" stop with the flag? Will Wal-Mart, Sears, Amazon, Ebay, and the other large retailers pull anything with the Conderate symbol attached (Dukes of Hazzard merchandise such as cars, DVD box sets, books, etc. all emblazoned with the Stars & Bars)?
WB is no longer going to license Dukes of Hazzard merchandise with that flag on it

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=31993341
Old 06-24-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Shooting at Charleston SC Church

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
WB is no longer going to license any Dukes of Hazzard merchandise with that flag on it

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=31993341
I think the only reasonable next step is to put the surviving cast on televised trials where they publicly admit their guilt, express their remorse, and condemn the creators of the show.
Old 06-24-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I think the only reasonable next step is to put the surviving cast on televised trials where they publicly admit their guilt, express their remorse, and condemn the creators of the show.
That would be funny if it was far-fetched.
Old 06-24-15, 01:36 PM
Banned

WB is no longer going to license Dukes of Hazzard merchandise with that flag on it
And those older items will instantly go up in price.

Interesting that eBay has announced that it will no longer allow CSA flag merchandise. http://www.mediaite.com/online/ebay-...federate-flag/

I just now looked and saw that several Nazi flags had been sold on the site this month.
Old 06-24-15, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
And those older items will instantly go up in price.

Interesting that eBay has announced that it will no longer allow CSA flag merchandise. http://www.mediaite.com/online/ebay-...federate-flag/

I just now looked and saw that several Nazi flags had been sold on the site this month.
Selective outrage.
Old 06-24-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
That would be funny if it was far-fetched.
Really? You think the idea of putting Tom Wopat on trial isn't far-fetched?

Look, I get that for some people, America is all about never, ever, ever admitting we were ever anything less than perfect, andwhen somebody suggests that maybe we don't want to fly the racist treason flag, the perfect response is to sarcastically take it to the extreme and suggest that anybody who ever watched an episode of Dukes of Hazard is worse than the Klan crossed with Hitler to the power of a lynch mob, but really. It's entirely possible to acknowledge, for example, that Mickey Rooney's character in Breakfast at Tiffany's was kind of racist without wanting to dig up his bones and piss all over them.
Old 06-24-15, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Look, I get that for some people, America is all about never, ever, ever admitting we were ever anything less than perfect, andwhen somebody suggests that maybe we don't want to fly the racist treason flag, the perfect response is to sarcastically take it to the extreme and suggest that anybody who ever watched an episode of Dukes of Hazard is worse than the Klan crossed with Hitler to the power of a lynch mob, but really. It's entirely possible to acknowledge, for example, that Mickey Rooney's character in Breakfast at Tiffany's was kind of racist without wanting to dig up his bones and piss all over them.
Removing it from the capital building, and completely removing it from sale are two very different things. That's the beauty of America, if you want to make your self look like you fool, you have that ability. You do not have the right to not be offended.
Old 06-24-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You flog that great big old hyperbolic strawman to death if it makes you feel like you have a point. Go for it.

No, I doubt he would be put on an actual civil trial. We're not quite at that point yet. But I can absolutely see him get put on trial in the court of public opinion, especially if he has the temerity to point out the usage of the flag in DoH had nothing at all to do with racism or slavery.
Old 06-24-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

.... the perfect response is to sarcastically take it to the extreme and suggest that anybody who ever watched an episode of Dukes of Hazard is worse than the Klan crossed with Hitler to the power of a lynch mob, but really.
The fact that WB has stopped licensing Dukes of Hazzard toys over this is not an example of ME taking things to ridiculous extremes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...-flag-20150624

But don't let me stand in the way of the great Cultural Revolution.
Old 06-24-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Removing it from the capital building, and completely removing it from sale are two very different things. That's the beauty of America, if you want to make your self look like you fool, you have that ability. You do not have the right to not be offended.
I'm not sure I follow your point.

If I were a legislator in South Carolina, I wouldn't want the treason flag to be what people think of when they think of my state.

If I were a retailer, I wouldn't want to offend a large proportion of my customer base by making money off of something that so many of them -- quite reasonably, in my opnion -- find offensive.

I'm not either of those things, though. I'm just a guy who is reasonably certain that nobody is looking to put Catherine Bach in jail any time soon.

(Cue the James Best death conspiracy theories ...)
Old 06-24-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Agreed.

Do you think there will be a push to make the flag illegal to fly even on private property?
Old 06-24-15, 01:53 PM

I'm not sure I follow your point.

If I were a legislator in South Carolina, I wouldn't want the treason flag to be what people think of when they think of my state.

If I were a retailer, I wouldn't want to offend a large proportion of my customer base by making money off of something that so many of them -- quite reasonably, in my opnion -- find offensive.

I'm not either of those things, though. I'm just a guy who is reasonably certain that nobody is looking to put Catherine Bach in jail any time soon.

(Cue the James Best death conspiracy theories ...)
Removing it form the capital is reasonable, removing it from sale isnt. Out of all these retailers that sold flag related items, how many of them lost sales because they sold Confederate flag items? Did people even know they sold those items? Do they even really care? The image of the flag did not make that kid kill. Hate did. He would have done it even if there was no flag.
Old 06-24-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This.

The amount of this kind of reaction to finally removing a symbol of racism is getting creepy IMO. It wasn't right for the Dukes TV show to have it out there that long ago, people even then were saying so. Does it really matter if it took around 30 years to finally get it right?
Old 06-24-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing it form the capital is reasonable, removing it from sale isnt. Out of all these retailers that sold flag related items, how many of them lost sales because they sold Confederate flag items? Did people even know they sold those items? Do they even really care? The image of the flag did not make that kid kill. Hate did. He would have done it even if there was no flag.
They appear to be decisions made on their own. We see the same kind of thing happen when sports stars get in trouble and everything related to them is dumped quickly by people that used to their merchandise. Do you really think they shouldn't make that call? Seems a bad business practice to carry Ray Rice's stuff just after he got caught clocking his wife in a hotel.
Old 06-24-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Agreed.

Do you think there will be a push to make the flag illegal to fly even on private property?
Only by people who don't understand the Constitution. That would get struck down readily on First Amendment grounds.
Old 06-24-15, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
They appear to be decisions made on their own. We see the same kind of thing happen when sports stars get in trouble and everything related to them is dumped quickly by people that used to their merchandise. Do you really think they shouldn't make that call? Seems a bad business practice to carry Ray Rice's stuff just after he got caught clocking his wife in a hotel.
I think that is an over reaction too. Like I said before. You do not have the right to not be offended. If you don't like something, don't support it. If someone wants to wear an OJ Simpson jersey why shouldn't they be able to? It just makes them look foolish. If people could just learn to mind their own damn business, this country would be so much better. If you can't control it, why worry about it?
Old 06-24-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Dukes of Hazzard was a politically offensive show that shouldn't have been on the air as it was?

Can it still be aired if we have appropriate "trigger warnings"?
Old 06-24-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You flog that great big old hyperbolic strawman to death if it makes you feel like you have a point. Go for it.

[Hyperbolic strawman about Tom Wopat being excoriated deleted]
Um ... OK.
Old 06-24-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The fact that WB has stopped licensing Dukes of Hazzard toys over this is not an example of ME taking things to ridiculous extremes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...-flag-20150624

But don't let me stand in the way of the great Cultural Revolution.
So you think WB should be compelled to keep selling something that's become unpopular? And that's just the same as televised show trials?

News flash -- WB has a lot of stuff in their catalog that they no longer license because they're considered offensive in light of current mores and cultural norms. The Censored Eleven, for example. And yet Friz Freeling, Tex Avery, and Bob Clampett are still very much celebrated. Go figure.
Old 06-24-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Um ... OK.
Maybe I'm just imagining what happened to Tim Hunt, or Matt Taylor, or any of the many other people who've recently been on the receiving end of a social justice lynch mob for their perceived offenses.
Old 06-24-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that is an over reaction too. Like I said before. You do not have the right to not be offended. If you don't like something, don't support it. If someone wants to wear an OJ Simpson jersey why shouldn't they be able to? It just makes them look foolish. If people could just learn to mind their own damn business, this country would be so much better. If you can't control it, why worry about it?
Would you force WalMart to sell OJ Simpson gear on the off chance someone wants to buy it?
Old 06-24-15, 02:22 PM

Would you force WalMart to sell OJ Simpson gear on the off chance someone wants to buy it?
Force? Absolutely not, But if they sold it prior to his murder trail, and only removed it because of the trail. They SHOULD still sell it. Removing at item because it is no longer selling is completely different then stopping selling something because of manufactured outrage. I heard on the radio this morning, that on amazon sales of Confederate flag stuff was up somewhere around 500% before they removed it from the site. If something is selling, why stop? Other then to make it look like you care.

Last edited by Me007gold; 06-24-15 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-24-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I can absolutely see him get put on trial in the court of public opinion,
What a horrible thought. Where do people get off thinking they have a right to disapprove of what somebody says and even express that opinion in public? Don't they realize that the First Amendment protects us from harsh criticism?

especially if he has the temerity to point out the usage of the flag in DoH had nothing at all to do with racism or slavery.
Using the symbol of a government that existed for no other reason than to perpetuate slavery has nothing to do with slavery? I'm glad we have you here to explain these things to us poor simpletons.
Old 06-24-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like what Marc Maron has to say about this (paraphrased). Basically, he's said on multiple occasions that for whatever new thing that has been decided to be offensive, no one is telling you that you can't say it, or wear it, or fly it. But, just know that all the polite people that go "okay, I get that it's offensive, and I won't say/wear/fly that anymore" will be over here, and you can be over there with all the people that insist on saying/wearing/flying it.
Old 06-24-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
What a horrible thought. Where do people get off thinking they have a right to disapprove of what somebody says and even express that opinion in public? Don't they realize that the First Amendment protects us from harsh criticism?
If you could descend off your high horse for a moment, would you please point out where you see me calling for a government prohibition on the social justice nitwits expressing those opinions? Because otherwise the First Amendment is fucking irrelevant. (Nevermind that Hunt's incident was in the UK, so the First Amendment is doubly irrelevant).

I'm merely expressing my distaste for their antics.

Using the symbol of a government that existed for no other reason than to perpetuate slavery has nothing to do with slavery? I'm glad we have you here to explain these things to us poor simpletons.
Congratulations, you've discovered the true, hidden subtext behind the Dukes of Hazard.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.