Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

SJW, MRA, Puppies and other assorted stuff

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

SJW, MRA, Puppies and other assorted stuff

Old 07-02-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: SJW, MRA, Puppies and other assorted stuff

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I don't know if the Duke boys were racist or not. Where there ever even black characters on that show? (Not counting the two-parter where they went to Harlem and solved crimes with Scatman Crothers).

Don Pedro Colley

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3hXjqXmMjEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-02-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I don't know if the Duke boys were racist or not.
They weren't. They were just good old boys, never meaning no harm.
Old 07-02-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

The show's been off the air for 30 years and just now is being thrown around as a pop-culture racism litmus test?

They better keep their goddamn government hands off of my Medicare...
Old 07-02-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
The show's been off the air for 30 years and just now is being thrown around as a pop-culture racism litmus test?

Huggy Bear approves
Old 07-02-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 801 Likes on 537 Posts

The ONLY Flag I'll pledge allegiance too these days is the RBG Flag this awesome Black Woman is holding.

Old 07-02-15, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh...Robo, didn't you omit a word from your last sentence?

Edit: Dangit! You edited while I was typing, and I cry foul. Anti-white privilege!
Old 07-02-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 801 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Uh...Robo, didn't you omit a word from your last sentence?

Edit: Dangit! You edited while I was typing, and I cry foul. Anti-white privilege!
I omitted a whole sentence after realizing it may be too harsh.

But here it is...

All other flags can kiss my ass.
Old 07-02-15, 03:17 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
So they have to show Dukes of Hazzard now or they are cowards?
They can do what they want. But I hardly consider their choice any kind of brave choice. I just feel people shouldn't be afraid of their past. Suppressing old cartoons and shows is not culturally sensitive, it's sweeping shit under the rug.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-02-15 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I omitted a whole sentence after realizing it may be too harsh.

But here it is...
I still wanted it to sound more like Jim Brown, Richard Roundtree, or Pryor! Or Jim Brown. Or even Chappelle.

But it is funny even though you didn't include "black" re: your derriere.
Old 07-02-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 682 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
They can do what they want. But I hardly consider their choice any kind of brave choice. I just feel people shouldn't be afraid of their past. Suppressing old cartoons and shows is not culturally sensitive, it's sweeping shit under the rug.
I'm with you if it went so far as to destroy the negatives. For example, I don't think those old racist Looney Tunes cartoons should be thrown in a fire. I'm all for preservation for historical reasons. But I don't think Cartoon Network should be called "cowardly" if they decide not to show them on TV.

Same thing here - throw the Dukes of Hazzard show in a museum, but I firmly believe a network has the right to choose not to show it any longer.
Old 07-02-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Were TV land ratings dropping during the Dukes of Hazzard time slot?

If yes, by all means, replace that show with something that will generate higher ratings.

But if some TV executive is terrified of being a hashtag for showing Alice** reruns and pulls those shows out of fear, is that the kind of society you want to live in?

** One of the Characters on Alice, Jolene Hunnicutt, is a distant relative of Boss Hogg. In fact, Sorrell Booke appeared in one episode of Alice and he tried to buy Mel's Diner. Since the two shows are part of the same universe, shouldn't Alice have to be yanked from the airwaves, too? Do we want to risk some impressionable youth seeing that one episode of Alice where Boss Hogg makes an appearance and be reminded of the existence of another show set in the same universe that featured a Dodge Charger with an offensive symbol on it? WHY WON'T YOU THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?
Old 07-02-15, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

I thought they were just experiencing a spontaneous outbreak of good taste...
Old 07-02-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
** One of the Characters on Alice, Jolene Hunnicutt, is a distant relative of Boss Hogg. In fact, Sorrell Booke appeared in one episode of Alice and he tried to buy Mel's Diner. Since the two shows are part of the same universe, shouldn't Alice have to be yanked from the airwaves, too? Do we want to risk some impressionable youth seeing that one episode of Alice where Boss Hogg makes an appearance and be reminded of the existence of another show set in the same universe that featured a Dodge Charger with an offensive symbol on it? WHY WON'T YOU THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?
It has been proven that everything on television takes place in the mind of an autistic child from St. Elsewhere.
Old 07-03-15, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Shows like "Dukes of Hazzard" and contemporaneous movies like SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT and EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE were a racial cultural phenomenon on the order of Blaxploitation. I would argue, in fact, that they were indeed a veiled response to Blaxploitation and the anti-white rhetoric featured in many of those movies--or at least in the ads for them (BLACK GUNN: "For every drop of black blood spilled, a white man pays"). Ironically, while Reynolds and Eastwood were making Hicksploitation, all the stars of Blaxploitation went back to sidekick and subservient roles or they went to Italy, like Fred Williamson. For instance, Robert Hooks played a small role as the bartender on the downed luxury jet in AIRPORT '77, just four years after TROUBLE MAN, and he spends most of his scenes wounded and grimacing in pain.
Old 07-03-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Shows like "Dukes of Hazzard" and contemporaneous movies like SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT and EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE were a racial cultural phenomenon on the order of Blaxploitation.
Except that in Smokey and the Bandit, it was the villain who was the racist hick, not the heroes in their Confederate-flag adorned car.
Old 07-03-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Except that in Smokey and the Bandit, it was the villain who was the racist hick, not the heroes in their Confederate-flag adorned car.
The Pontiac Trans Am from S&TB was not adorned with a Treason Flag.
Old 07-03-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
The Pontiac Trans Am from S&TB was not adorned with a Treason Flag.
No?

Here, buy your very own:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smokey-and-t...item2c9ce70428
Old 07-03-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
It is "adorned" the same way every car was legally required to be in Georgia from 1977 to 1981. They would only give Jawjuhns one number plate to keep Cletus from taking the front plate and put it on the back of a different shitbox.

So, no. Not adorned.
Old 07-03-15, 06:19 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

And furthermore, that's not the Confederate Battle Flag, that is (or more precisely was) the flag of the State of Georgia. The actual state flags of the South all contain Confederate iconography. The current flag of the State of Georgia still uses the First CSA flag as its basis. Why we insist on removing the Battle Flag (which represents no state or entity currently in existence) and none of the others (which represent actual current states) baffles me.

Also, I like Ash's assessment of what was it's own unique sub-genre. Dukes of Hazard was definitely television's big dumb version of a popular trend in cinema at the time. And like I've said, eliminating this stuff is just a form of national denial, because we can't come to grips with the fact that as recently as 1980 general audiences across the country were entertained by films and shows that used Confederate iconography to indicate that the characters were anti-authority rugged individuals.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-03-15 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It is "adorned" the same way every car was legally required to be in Georgia from 1977 to 1981. They would only give Jawjuhns one number plate to keep Cletus from taking the front plate and put it on the back of a different shitbox.

So, no. Not adorned.

That was the Georgia state flag at the time. It's not a mandatory plate, hence: adorned.
Old 07-03-15, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

I pledge allegiance to the sRGB flag.

Long live Adobe color space.
Old 07-03-15, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, no. Not adorned.
That's absolutely not true. My family never had that plate on any of our vehicles.
Old 07-04-15, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

The current flag of the State of Georgia still uses the First CSA flag as its basis. Why we insist on removing the Battle Flag (which represents no state or entity currently in existence) and none of the others (which represent actual current states) baffles me.
Good point, and I think Mississippi's flag is the most blatant example, the rest not so much. However, did they adopt those flags while going to war with the US, or did they make up these flags after they were defeated?

And like I've said, eliminating this stuff is just a form of national denial, because we can't come to grips with the fact that as recently as 1980 general audiences across the country were entertained by films and shows that used Confederate iconography to indicate that the characters were anti-authority rugged individuals.
Wouldn't it be denial if the nation or majority of the nation denied having produced or ever watching a show about some good ol' boys riding around in a car named The General Lee?
Besides, if enough people clamor for it, they might bring it back to television. Look at Cracker Barrel. They were selling Duck Dynasty merchandise, one of those guys lumps in homosexuals with terrorists, as well as mentioning homosexuality as a sin along with bestiality. Cracker Barrel stopped selling the Duck Dynasty merchandise, the free market spoke and said they were going to boycott Cracker Barrel if they did that, so Cracker Barrel went back to selling the merchandise.

Back to denial, I don't necessarily see it that way. I'm actually interested in watching the Dukes of Hazzard now after reading about it in this thread so much but I see why TV Land or whoever wants to think twice about airing the show. Just like I understand modern TV stations would be particular about not airing ALL the classic Looney Toons and Disney cartoons where black characters are depicted with enormous red lips eating water melons in "Lazy Town," or cartoons where Japanese are shown as buck toothed villains conspiring against the US.
Old 07-04-15, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts

There's a certain irony to all of this since Dukes of Hazzard seems to be carry a rather liberal message: The two protagonists are described in the theme song a "modern day Robin Hoods" (you know, steal from the rich and give to the poor) and the villains of the show are a greedy, crooked businessman who has bought his way into politics and uses the corrupt police force to further his own personal interests.

The Dukes might as well be Occupy Hazzard going up against Boss Koch.
Old 07-04-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Yeah, my very liberal mom let me watch the show and even bought be a Dukes of Hazzard Big Wheel.

Wait, Santa brought me that Big Wheel. He's pretty racist.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.