Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

SJW, MRA, Puppies and other assorted stuff

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

SJW, MRA, Puppies and other assorted stuff

Old 06-26-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 856 Likes on 578 Posts
Re: SJW, MRA, Puppies and other assorted stuff

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Well, if they do the soundtrack for Chris Rock's dream movie project, then you'll be all set

Spoiler:
from a few years ago.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SZ8_49BRSiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-26-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Got it. Disagree with CaptainMarvel = Troll.
White disagrees with GiantRobo = White Supremacy

Last edited by hdnmickey; 06-26-15 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
White disagrees with GiantRobo = White Supremacy
Sheeeyit...You have no idea Dude. I've been feeling more and more this way around dvdtalk lately dealing with the usual group of posters in these race themed threads. But hey...Not All Posters** though.

But in general, I think you're post is right.

**spelled out for CaptainMarvel
Old 06-26-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from a few years ago.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SZ8_49BRSiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"Malcolm X flag---everybody's happy."
Old 06-26-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If the White people in question are causing any kind of harm to Black People sure why not? We should have a right to use violence just like Whites historically do.
Sounds like a plan. Then the relatives of the people you hurt can retaliate and whoever's left on your side can come back at them. I don't see a downside at all. As a matter of fact, when I look at the Middle East, I always say, "Man, I wish we had that over here."
Old 06-26-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Sounds like a plan. Then the relatives of the people you hurt can retaliate and whoever's left on your side can come back at them. I don't see a downside at all. As a matter of fact, when I look at the Middle East, I always say, "Man, I wish we had that over here."
Hey, maybe Whites can get 40 acres and a mule when it's all done...
Old 06-26-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Shooting at Charleston SC Church

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Yes, when Civil War reenactors want authenticity in props, their first stop is Wal-Mart.

I live three miles from a major Civil War battlefield. The local Wal-Mart doesn't stock Confederate flags. They do have Lynyrd Skynyrd and Dukes of Hazzard shirts so white trash can walk around with a symbol of racism on their chest and act indignant if anyone calls them on it.
Well, the reenactors aren't going to be able to get their flags from Civil War park/battlefield gift shops anymore:

National Park Service Removes Confederate Flag Merchandise From Gift Shops

The decisions of Walmart, Amazon, ebay, etc. I get. I may not agree, but it's their choice, more power to them. They aren't Civil War specialty stores. But to remove merchandise from shops on the land where the battles were actually fought just seems downright silly to me.

Last edited by DJLinus; 06-26-15 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Did you read the explanation?

“We strive to tell the complete story of America,” National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis said in a press release. “Any stand-alone depictions of Confederate flags have no place in park stores.”

The National Park Service said it would still allow selling books and educational materials that depict the flag in historical context.
Old 06-26-15, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,331 Likes on 960 Posts

What's wrong with "by any means necessary"?

When Whites fought for their Freedom and freedom from oppression...

Why are Blacks held to a "Peaceful Standard"?
You make an interesting point. When rural, conservative whites feel their rights are being violated they grab their AR-15s and start screaming for insurrection and opening on fire on law enforcement. (See the Bundy ranch, Ruby Ridge, Branch Davidians). These people are considered patriots.

Yet we are supposed to be impressed that Martin Luther King and his peeps warbled "We Shall Overcome" while people (both civilians and cops) beat the shit out of them.

Hell, take it back to the Civil War and it was about a bunch of angry white men fighting back against a government they felt was violating their rights.
Old 06-26-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Sheeeyit...You have no idea Dude. I've been feeling more and more this way around dvdtalk lately dealing with the usual group of posters in these race themed threads. But hey...Not All Posters** though.

But in general, I think you're post is right.

**spelled out for CaptainMarvel
Well, I seriously doubt any of us belong to any hate groups. Just because a belief in something doesn't particularly align with your view, does not mean a person is an extremist and is out to get you.

We just simply disagree.

Thanks to the way we get our news, it's no wonder you're so paranoid about anyone other than yourself.
Old 06-27-15, 11:06 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 165 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
Well, the reenactors aren't going to be able to get their flags from Civil War park/battlefield gift shops anymore:

National Park Service Removes Confederate Flag Merchandise From Gift Shops

The decisions of Walmart, Amazon, ebay, etc. I get. I may not agree, but it's their choice, more power to them. They aren't Civil War specialty stores. But to remove merchandise from shops on the land where the battles were actually fought just seems downright silly to me.
The fact that the National Park Service oversees the battlefields is in itself what some Southerns would call "an act of Northern aggression." The Feds control the battlefields because the Feds want to control how the battles are commemorated and don't want to leave the door open for E. Lee worshiping malcontents to celebrate the glorious South a little too much. This is how it's always been. Taking away the flag is just another step.
Old 06-27-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The fact that the National Park Service oversees the battlefields is in itself what some Southerns would call "an act of Northern aggression."
New nomination for the dumbest post ever.
Old 06-27-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Spelling error?
Old 06-27-15, 11:30 AM
Banned

New nomination for the dumbest post ever.
I didn't say I feel that way, I'm just pointing out some feel that way. I nominate your post for "dumbest" because it's a hit and run post that says nothing, offers no counter argument, and gives no indication of exactly what you don't like about my post.
Old 06-27-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't say I feel that way, I'm just pointing out some feel that way. I nominate your post for "dumbest" because it's a hit and run post that says nothing, offers no counter argument, and gives no indication of exactly what you don't like about my post.
Who is running?

It wasn't clear you were speaking for others. So my comment becomes theirs is the dumbest post ever should they come here and post it.

Does anybody really have to explain to you, or anybody else, how there is no issue with the Feds creating National parks within the United States?
Old 06-27-15, 01:05 PM
Banned

Does anybody really have to explain to you, or anybody else, how there is no issue with the Feds creating National parks within the United States?
Yeah I guess you do because that sentence makes no sense.
Old 06-27-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Well, I seriously doubt any of us belong to any hate groups. Just because a belief in something doesn't particularly align with your view, does not mean a person is an extremist and is out to get you.

We just simply disagree.

Thanks to the way we get our news, it's no wonder you're so paranoid about anyone other than yourself.
You dont have to be in a cross burning, Negro lynching, Confederate Flag wearing group to benefit and/or push White Supremacy.
Old 07-01-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TV land pulls DoH reruns because of CSA Flag

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=32152437
Old 07-01-15, 06:15 PM
Banned

The presence of the flag on the car was due to the fact that at that time, in the south, the flag was a common sight. Then consider that at the time of the show's original airing, the flag's presences was not a problem on a nationally televised prime time network program. I can see why many would like to "forget" that this was not the way of the world in 1980, but it's the truth. "Disappearing" the show hides the true mentality in America at that time. It's cowardly.
Old 07-01-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
You've got that exactly right. Their leftist "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces" wouldn't allow it.
When I first heard that some people in the 1980s-not that long ago-outright identified as communists, it shocked the hell out of my young mind. Reading about all of the student riots in 60s and 70s or the anti-Thatcher protests in the 80s fascinates me. I grew up in the most suburban surroundings imaginable, nearly everything like that reads like science-fiction to me.

Sometime I think of a generation who marched for social change and civil rights and a generation which posts stuff on Facebook and get a little depressed. But I'm kind of glad I had my political awakening later so that I couldn't espouse values too far to one side or the other when I was younger and even more foolish than I am now.
Old 07-02-15, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 462 Posts

The presence of the flag on the car was due to the fact that at that time, in the south, the flag was a common sight. Then consider that at the time of the show's original airing, the flag's presences was not a problem on a nationally televised prime time network program. I can see why many would like to "forget" that this was not the way of the world in 1980, but it's the truth. "Disappearing" the show hides the true mentality in America at that time. It's cowardly.
So they have to show Dukes of Hazzard now or they are cowards?
Old 07-02-15, 06:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
So they have to show Dukes of Hazzard now or they are cowards?
Only if they don't put <b>Amos 'n' Andy</b> as its replacement.
Old 07-02-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 299 Posts

Amos 'n' Andy was such a great show. It presented blacks as fully-realized characters, not just caricatures. The show was unfairly tagged with the 'racist' label for no reason.
Old 07-02-15, 09:09 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't know if the Duke boys were racist or not. Where there ever even black characters on that show? (Not counting the two-parter where they went to Harlem and solved crimes with Scatman Crothers).
Old 07-02-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Where there ever even black characters on that show?
If that's the standard, how many shows aren't racist?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.