Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-19-15, 01:13 PM   #1
DVD Talk God

One and only legal cannabis thread

I overheard some people saying that we need to start calling marijuana "cannabis," and in keeping with the progressive times, I did.

Anyway, the last main thread was just about CO, WA passing recreational cannabis laws, so I figured we needed a catch all.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...decriminalised

Quote:
Delaware is 18th state to allow possession of recreational marijuana

Delaware governor Jack Markell has signed into law a bill decriminalising possession and private use of small amounts of marijuana. The move follows the lead of nearly 20 states that have eased penalties for personal consumption, state media reported on Thursday.

Individuals in Delaware will be allowed to possess up to an ounce of marijuana, and to use it privately without facing criminal sanctions. Police could still confiscate the drug, according to Delaware Online, the News Journal.

The statute also will reduce the penalty for using marijuana in a public place to a $100 civil fine. Under previous Delaware law, simple marijuana possession was a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a maximum fine of $1,150.

The law will take effect in six months’ time. Markell, a Democrat, signed the measure almost immediately after the state senate, voting along party lines, gave it final legislative approval.

According to the Journal, the Democratic-backed bill cleared the state legislature without a single Republican vote in either the house or senate.

Not counting Delaware, 17 states have passed laws to decriminalise personal marijuana use and possession in small amounts, according to the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, a lobbying group.

Delaware is one of 23 states, along with the District of Columbia, that allow the use of pot for medical reasons. Voters in Colorado, Washington state, Oregon, Alaska and Washington DC have approved ballot measures legalising cannabis for adult recreational use.

Marijuana remains classified as an illegal narcotic under US federal law.
It's a bit confusing because they make it sound like they legalized it, when all they really did was decriminalize it. But this sure seems to be picking up steam.

I'm certainly remote, but we do have a cannabis store in my town (will likely fold in the next year) and my county just put a 2 year ban on new stores, growers, processors, but so far I have noticed nothing different. Truly nothing.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 06-19-15, 01:27 PM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: One and only legal cannabis thread

I just got my pot card last week, so I've been having fun checking out the different dispensaries in town. It's actually saving me money vs drinking, since a $5 edible will keep me buzzed all night.
Old 06-19-15, 01:34 PM   #3
DVD Talk God

AND MAKE YOU INSANE!!!!!

Good for you, man.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 06-19-15, 03:26 PM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I overheard some people saying that we need to start calling marijuana "cannabis," and in keeping with the progressive times, I did.
Wacky Tobacky is better.
Old 06-27-15, 10:54 AM   #5
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I just got my pot card last week, so I've been having fun checking out the different dispensaries in town. It's actually saving me money vs drinking, since a $5 edible will keep me buzzed all night.
jealous!
Old 06-27-15, 11:03 AM   #6
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On our way home from work each day we pass the sign dancer adverting this place:

http://www.higherleaf.com/

Marijuana Boutique?

Must really be struggling if they are paying a stereotypical dancing sign guy to stand on the street corner. He makes toking or bong hit gestures in your direction if he is sure he has caught your eye.
Old 06-27-15, 11:46 AM   #7
DVD Talk God

My buddy who went to the one in Vancouver said they have "budtenders."

http://www.502data.com/county/king Looks like they are middle of the road for King County.

― Carl Sagan
Old 06-27-15, 11:55 AM   #8
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't believe that anyone actually thinks that it should be legal to be a cannibal.
Old 06-27-15, 05:56 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
I can't believe that anyone actually thinks that it should be legal to be a cannibal.
As long as they don't force me to eat gays in church I'm ok with it.
Old 06-28-15, 06:58 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Individuals in Delaware will be allowed to possess up to an ounce of marijuana, and to use it privately without facing criminal sanctions. Police could still confiscate the drug, according to Delaware Online, the News Journal.
We can't have officers of the law paying for their now decriminalized bud.
Old 06-28-15, 10:57 AM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
My buddy who went to the one in Vancouver said they have "budtenders."
that's the preferred nomenclature for the guy behind the counter.

Funny how quickly weed stores have become so commonplace here. I don't mean popping up all over (though they have), I just mean how normal the whole thing has become.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 06-28-15, 11:20 AM   #12
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2 sites I recommend for people getting into it:

http://www.leafly.com ... for everything you want to know about any strain of weed

http://www.weedmaps.com ... shows you where to find your weed, and will even show you what every store has in stock and their prices.

Both have mobile apps as well.
Old 06-28-15, 12:20 PM   #13
Time Lord

^^^ I second the recommendation on those sites. Great references.

I don't know about in WA or CO, but in CA there are so many weed dispensaries now that they're all competing with each other on price, most capping the price of an 1/8 at $30-$40. All sorts of new products are hitting the market every week. It's an awesome time to be a stoner.
Old 06-28-15, 03:03 PM   #14
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
that's the preferred nomenclature for the guy behind the counter.

Funny how quickly weed stores have become so commonplace here. I don't mean popping up all over (though they have), I just mean how normal the whole thing has become.
The next wild thing is Oregon. They are handling their stuff very well. Originally they were going to have stores opening in 2016 and weed legal on July 1st. They have decided to open up their dispensaries for recreational sales on October 1st of this year, and will then phase those back when recreational stores open. And they have made no bones about getting Washingtonians to cross the border to get their weed at a cheaper price.

― Carl Sagan
Old 06-30-15, 02:09 PM   #15
DVD Talk God

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summa...2015&bill=2136

Washington House Bill 2136. Has passed the house and senate and just waiting on the governor's signature, which he will give. Removes WA's 3 tiered tax system (25% at 4 different stages) and replaces it with a single tax of 37.5%, as well as reducing the 1000 foot distance for stores to 100 feet for most things, the exception being schools are still 1000 feet.

This looks to me like it comes in response to Oregon's law, which becomes effective tomorrow. NORML is having a big party in Portland and another place is having one where all people get 7 grams of weed for free, etc. Anyway, OR's tax is $35/ounce. Prices are as low as $200/ounce currently in WA, so I would expect that after OR has stores open in October (rolling out with their medical stores selling publicly) prices will drop to around $150 an ounce in both states.

― Carl Sagan
Old 06-30-15, 02:30 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Just another example of trying to keep Mexicans down, choosing a European term instead.

You're a monster, Dave.
Old 06-30-15, 02:40 PM   #17
DVD Talk God

― Carl Sagan
Old 06-30-15, 03:20 PM   #18
DVD Talk Hero

But will you be able to smoke within 10 feet of a building's door?
Old 06-30-15, 04:38 PM   #19
DVD Talk God

No. It's 25 feet in WA. And I think it has to be "out of public site" and not in a public building.

― Carl Sagan
Old 06-30-15, 06:32 PM   #20
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who smokes anymore, anyways? All the smart stoners vape now.

It's been nearly a year so far in Washington state since the first rec stores opened up. So far, the sky hasn't fallen and white women are not seeking carnal relations with black men at a higher rate.
Old 06-30-15, 06:47 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
No. It's 25 feet in WA. And I think it has to be "out of public site" and not in a public building.
Speaking of, was it a Meth lab or Marijuana farm that caused this fire in Washington.
Old 06-30-15, 09:05 PM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So can we talk in depth cannabis stuff now? like what strains we like, what edibles we've tried, and that jazz? Or is that kind of talk off limits? I seem to remember the mods didn't want drug talk, but maybe that was before stuff was legal?
Old 07-01-15, 01:21 AM   #23
Time Lord

It's still illegal federally, so I would guess no.
Old 07-01-15, 08:12 AM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

Meanwhile in the other 46 oppressive states, PA is finally about to pass their medical marijuana bill (thanks to a newly elected Democratic governor who replaced the Repub dead set on a veto) - a bill which actually forbids smoking the marijuana AND selling it. You must eat or vaporize (added later) the weed you have no legal place to buy.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 07-01-15, 08:37 AM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
So far, the sky hasn't fallen and white women are not seeking carnal relations with black men at a higher rate.
Thankfully with the massive backlog we have of university girls self-righteously getting back at their dads for whatever perceived injustices, we'll be booked solid for quite a long while.

I miss college...
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff