Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-17-15, 11:17 AM   #126
DVD Talk Legend

Re: One and only legal cannabis thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
But it ain't like alcohol, so all those worries you have creeping into your head as a result of comparing them (I don't know that you are, but most make those comparisons when they have little experience with it) you can just forget. Don't let that worry or sway you.
Quote:
My advice to you is to treat it absolutely the same as you would alcohol. That's the way I treat it with my kids. And if you don't see a negative impact on his life (or yours) as a result of this, I'd just let it slide. You may even try it out if it is legal where you are. It's pretty darned good fun, and a hell of a lot better than drinking alcohol.

I think Dave is high.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 09-17-15, 12:12 PM   #127
DVD Talk God

The affects are not the same, the way we should treat it socially is.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-17-15, 12:42 PM   #128
DVD Talk Hero

It mostly just makes me sleepy...
Old 09-17-15, 02:51 PM   #129
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It mostly just makes me sleepy...
You do know there are 2 main strains of pot, right?

Indica - makes you sleepy, can give you couch lock (think Indica = In da couch)
Sativa - gives you energy, makes you happy, euphoric, etc ...

Then there are lots of hybrid strains that mix the 2 for varying results.

A good sativa shouldn't make you sleepy at all.
Old 09-17-15, 03:08 PM   #130
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Very true. A strong sativa can induce insomnia for me.
Old 09-17-15, 03:56 PM   #131
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I know I've had both, but I honestly can't tell the difference.
Old 09-17-15, 04:21 PM   #132
DVD Talk God

http://www.popsci.com/all-strains-ma...e-same-species
Quote:
But, importantly, the researchers found a lot of discrepancy between a sample's species reported by marijuana growers and those shown by the genetic tests. "Cannabis breeders and growers often indicate the percentage of sativa or indica in a cannabis strain, but they are not very accurate,” Page said in a press release. The researchers highlighted one strain, called Jamaican Lamb's Bread, that its vendors claimed to be fully C. sativa but was actually 100 percent C. indica. That might mean that the relationship between certain qualities in marijuana and the species may not be so straightforward, after all.
You can't go by what people say they are smoking, apparently. This applies even in WA where the weed is labeled.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-17-15, 05:53 PM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Indica - makes you sleepy, can give you couch lock (think Indica = In da couch)
Sativa - gives you energy, makes you happy, euphoric, etc ...

Then there are lots of hybrid strains that mix the 2 for varying results.

honestly, I never feel the difference. Weed is weed to me. Was buying sativa for a while because its effects lined up with what I wanted, then I bought some indica, and I could not have told you that it was different.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 09-21-15, 10:37 AM   #134
DVD Talk God

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/tee...l-state-legal/

Quote:
Asotin County, WA — Washington state was one of the first places in the country to legalize marijuana, but many have complained that their regulations are nearly as bad as prohibition.

One serious problem with Washington’s new marijuana laws is the fact that teenagers caught with the plant can be charged with felonies, and face up to five years in prison. This sentence makes no sense considering that marijuana is legal in this area. This would be the equivalent of throwing a 17 or 18-year-old in prison for 5 years for drinking a beer.

This week, it was reported that a prosecutor in southeastern Washington charged three teenagers with felony offenses for simple marijuana possession. According to The Lewiston Tribune, the children were 14, 15, and 17 years old and are now facing up to 5 years in prison for felony possession charges simply for carrying a legal item that they were too young to possess.

Ben Nichols is the sadistic prosecutor in Asotin County who brought the charges. He has insisted that newly signed legislation has enacted a zero tolerance policy towards underage marijuana use, which demands a felony charge for any possession charges.

“If you are a minor, a person under 21, it’s a felony no matter what,” Nichols said.

The bill was sponsored by Sen. Ann Rivers who has fought back against legalization with a heavy-handed assault on teenagers.

“We have to send a message to our kids: This will hurt you in more ways than one if you decide to participate,” Rivers said.

Representatives of the local government are now saying that this is not what they intended for the bill, but now it is too late to change anything.

A spokesperson for Gov. Jay Inslee, who signed the bill into law, said, “I can only tell you that this was not the intention that the governor had when working with legislators on this bill.”

Rick Laws, the attorney who is representing the children in court, has pointed out that they are paying for the mistakes of politicians with their lives.

“That’s an awfully high price for a few people to have to pay for faulty legislative work,” Laws said.
Looks like some old **** hated legalization and came up with this beauty.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-21-15, 02:35 PM   #135
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ugh. The Washington Legislature sure took a few steps backward on the legalization front last session. If I ever see Sen. Rivers out campaigning, she's getting a big ol' stink palm from me.
Old 09-23-15, 10:04 AM   #136
DVD Talk God

Apparently the boys aren't being charged with a felony and the DA just doesn't understand how to read the law.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-23-15, 10:09 AM   #137
DVD Talk God

You're Gonna' Like The Way I Toke

http://www.trueactivist.com/mens-war...king-regularly

Quote:
George Zimmer, founder of Men’s Wearhouse recently admitted to be a regular marijuana smoker, and called the plant’s prohibition, “the biggest con ever perpetrated.”

During an interview with CNBC Zimmer sarcastically said, “I’ve been smoking marijuana on a regular basis for about 50 years. As you can see, it’s really impacted me in a negative way.”

Zimmer has even been delivered a speech at the recent Cannabis World Congress & Business Expo in Los Angeles and has gone public with his support for marijuana legalization.

During his speech, Zimmer told the audience that “Everybody in the country knows what the truth here is, except the 535 people we elect to make these decisions in Washington, D.C., It’s astounding.”

He pointed out the insanity of marijuana’s schedule 1 status, which rules that it is just as dangerous as heroin, saying that “It’s treated like it was heroin, everybody’s who is in high school hears that and goes, ‘What are they talking about?'” The emperor’s not wearing any clothes. This is the biggest con that has been perpetrated on this country in the last century.”

Zimmer also mentioned how important it is to be careful about the regulations that the government attempts to put on marijuana once it is finally legalized.

“I think it’s important that we protect limited home cultivation without any government licensing, so whether it’s one plant or 10 plants, I don’t know, but I think that’s very important,” he said.

He also discussed the many issues with taxations involved in the growing marijuana industry.

“There are still a lot of questions that are raised in terms of dispensaries, and the way the IRS does not allow normal business deductions,” he said.

Zimmer broke from Mens Warehouse a few years ago and began starting up and investing in new businesses.
The emperor wears no clothes. I've been saying for some time that the biggest fuck up with all of this is how does a government that claims cannabis is as bad as heroin and has no medical value, yet they own a patent on Medical Marijuna, and they expect that people will believe what they say on the subject?

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-23-15, 10:39 AM   #138
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
During an interview with CNBC Zimmer sarcastically said, "I've been smoking marijuana on a regular basis for about 50 years. As you can see, it’s really impacted me in a negative way."
Well, he did get fired from his own company. Coincidence?!

Meanwhile, the ballot language in Ohio has been changed, mostly in ResponsibleOhio's favor, although they are still bitching about the use of the "monopoly" term.

Quote:
The state Ballot Board adopted edited language Friday for ResponsibleOhio’s marijuana legalization amendment, meeting an order earlier this week from the Ohio Supreme Court to change the wording in several instances that justices deemed misleading or inaccurate.

The new ballot language was approved by a unanimous vote, with Republican and Democratic members agreeing. Legal counsel for proponents and opponents of the proposed amendment offered no objections, voicing agreement with the new language choices.

With the board action, Republican Secretary of State Jon Husted said ballots would be ready for mailing to military and overseas voters by today, as required.

Both Husted and ResponsibleOhio claimed victory with the results.

“The voters now have accurate representation of what they’re going to be voting on,” said Ian James, ResponsibleOhio’s executive director. “This is about making sure that the voters have the ability to know and vote on the legalization of marijuana for compassionate care for the chronically ill and for adults 21 or older.”

The Ballot Board last month, on a split vote, approved other language for Issue 3 that ResponsibleOhio said was incorrect and aimed at prompting “no” votes on the amendment.

The group filed suit in the Ohio Supreme Court, which earlier this week ordered Husted and the Ballot Board to reconvene and fix what a majority of justices described as “fatal” flaws.

Specifically, the court ordered changes to four paragraphs dealing with the location of marijuana-growing locations – 10 initial sites, with provisions for additional ones if consumer demand warrants – the location of marijuana businesses, and the amount of the drug individuals would be allowed to have at any given time.

The wording adopted by the Ballot Board was in line with what the Supreme Court ordered and drew no objections from ResponsibleOhio.

James voiced disappointment the court did not order Husted to change the title of Issue 3, which notes that the proposed amendment “grants a monopoly for the commercial production and sale of marijuana for recreational and medicinal purposes.”

That wording, he said, is designed to sway voters to oppose the measure.

Husted defended his title word selection.

“It is a monopoly,” he said. “It needed to be described as such so that the voters have a clear understanding of the choice that’s before them. That was the most important issue to me, because there was an effort to try to conceal that fact from the voters. And I wanted to enlighten everybody, to shine the light on the fact, that it is, indeed, a monopoly.”
Old 09-24-15, 11:25 AM   #139
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Obviously he should have stopped at 45 years.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-24-15, 06:09 PM   #140
DVD Talk God

http://www.hightimes.com/read/dea-st...arijuana-farms

Quote:
Although there has been a total repeal of marijuana prohibition in the state of Oregon, a recent report has found that the federal government is still sending the state's law enforcement well over a half million dollars to be used in the uprooting of cannabis plants.

According to documents obtained by KGW-TV, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration will pay $750,000 to Oregon police this year to continue busting marijuana operations all over the state. This compensation—aimed at thwarting the moonshiners of the cannabis trade—is all part of the DEA’s nearly 40-year-old marijuana eradication program.

The problem, however, is that this government agenda is being paid for by taxpayers in states where the voters have determined that weed should be legal.

“I think the DEA’s marijuana eradication program is a huge waste of federal taxpayer dollars,” Congressman Ted Lieu, a Democrat from California, told KGW. “We have states like Oregon, Washington and Colorado that have legalized marijuana, and then you’ve got the federal government trying to eradicate it. That doesn’t make any sense.”

Last week, Lieu and his Republican counterpart Justin Amash of Michigan introduced a measure to the U.S. House of Representatives aimed at eliminating the DEA’s $18 million cannabis eradication program. This bipartisan effort would not only prevent this agency from spending tax dollars to destroy a plant that has been legalized in some form in over half the nation, but it would also stop them from cashing in on civil asset forfeitures.

Law enforcement in Oregon will spend the majority of its DEA money flying helicopters over the state in search of cannabis grow sites. Essentially, Uncle Sam is providing them with hundreds of thousands of dollars, courtesy of American taxpayers, to be used for seek and destroy missions against a plant that the majority of the population has said should be legal.

In 2014, these types of drug warrior operations cost Oregon around $275,000 in police overtime and $685,000 for the use of a helicopter—all money that could be spent on anything else now that weed is legal.

However, the DEA argues that the continued funding of the eradication program in necessary in order to fight dastardly domestic drug traffickers and ruthless Mexican cartels that use public land to grow weed for the black market. Yet, in 2014, the program only accounted for the destruction of around 16,000 cannabis plants, which is significantly less than the almost 28,000 they uprooted in 2012. This decline in seized plants is likely attributed to cartels involving themselves in the trafficking of methamphetamine and heroin, while leaving marijuana to the gringos in the legal sector.

Some police agencies in Oregon agree that federal money is no longer needed for marijuana enforcement. Jackson County Sheriff Corey Falls said that while they once “needed that money… now we don’t.”

Unfortunately, until the DEA is defunded or a substantial federal reform comes down from the top, taxpayers will be forced to finance the snuffing of stoned America—even those taxpayers who adamantly support ending prohibition altogether. Let’s just hope that Lieu and Amash can collect enough support for their legislation to elicit some essential changes to how the DEA spends our money in 2016.
That's one bill I would love to see passed. How ridiculous.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-24-15, 06:47 PM   #141

Quote:

Meanwhile, the ballot language in Ohio has been changed, mostly in ResponsibleOhio's favor, although they are still bitching about the use of the "monopoly" term.
Meh, don't think it's going to pass regardless. I'll probably vote against this one, but won't care one way or the other.

I can still discriminate against users though, right?
Old 09-24-15, 09:34 PM   #142
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
I can still discriminate against users though, right?
Including the one who posted right before you, I hope.

I'll be voting against the measure for reasons wendersfan and I detailed earlier in the thread.
Old 09-25-15, 12:46 PM   #143
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Taxpayers are paying $60 for every pot plant the DEA destroys in Oregon

Quote:
The Drug Enforcement Administration spent $960,000 to destroy marijuana plants in that state in 2014 as part of its "Cannabis Eradication Program," according to a recent report by NBC affiliate KGW in Portland, Ore.

That year, the DEA succeeded in removing 16,067 pot plants from Oregon, which at first blush sounds like a lot of weed. But when you do the math, that works out to a cost to taxpayers of $60 per uprooted plant. That is a lot when you consider that nationally, it costs the DEA *ahem* $4.20 to eliminate a single marijuana plant under this program.

The DEA has budgeted $760,000 in marijuana eradication funds for Oregon this year, according to KGW. Considering that marijuana is now legal in that state, many Oregonians — including some members of Congress — are questioning whether that's a sensible endeavor. They are trying to defund the federal anti-pot program that costs about $18 million a year overall.

The DEA defends the cannabis eradication program on the grounds that much of the marijuana grows it targets in Oregon and elsewhere are the products of Mexican drug cartel activity. "This program has proven effective in dismantling and disrupting drug trafficking organizations," DEA spokesperson Joseph Moses told KGW.

But some are skeptical, saying that federal authorities may be overstating the connection between Mexican cartels and marijuana operations in the United States. In 2012, the Office of National Drug Control Policy acknowledged that there wasn't much hard evidence connecting the cartels to marijuana grown in California. "Based on our intelligence, which includes thousands of cellphone numbers and wiretaps, we haven't been able to connect anyone to a major cartel," an ONDCP representative told the Los Angeles Times.

Some law enforcement officials in Oregon are dismantling their marijuana eradication programs, according to KGW's report. "I want to focus on person crimes," one sheriff told KGW. “Child abuse, sex assault, crimes against people."

Marijuana, of course, remains illegal under federal law.
Sounds effective, but we gotta keep the devil's lettuce from reaching the nation's youth.
Old 09-25-15, 12:47 PM   #144
DVD Talk God

This is pretty amazing. Still can't get my dad to try it (he has multiple myeloma bone cancer), but I'll bet my Mom would (retired nurse). She quit taking all medications they had her on several years ago because she doesn't want to last long enough to be in a nursing home. She was an administrative nurse at one for over a decade.

http://thenationalmarijuananews.com/...-liver-cancer/

Quote:
The National Cancer Institute recently released its report on medical marijuana. The overview of their conclusion is, THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) caused a 45 percent reduction in bladder cancer, remission in breast and liver cancer and more.

They have determined that there is no lethal dose of marijuana. And addictive potential is considerably lower than any other medicine available.

Among their findings, they have found that cannabis is not associated with adverse pulmonary function and does not cause lung cancer or any aerodigestive tract cancers. Cannabis does not cause other types of cancer either.

They found cannabis has great anti-tumoral activity. Through their testing they have determined that cannabis is more effective than conventional antiemetics (drugs that ease nausea). And inhaled marijuana was more effective in chemo-induced nausea than any other currently available treatment.

Some of their other findings are: Cannabis appetite increase at 75 percent compared to the most effective medicine that has a 49 percent increase; weight increase at 11 percent compared to the most effective current medicine that has a 3 percent increase.

In opiate resistant cancer pain, marijuana had significant pain intensity relief, substantial analgesic effects, antiemetic effects and appetite simulation.

They also proved THC to be more effective then codeine. Some 10 mg of THC was more effective then 60 mg of codeine. There was no increase of the THC dose needed in long-term pain management.

Inhaled THC was shown to be more effective in neuropathic pain than current medicine. It also showed improved sleep quality and sense of well being and less anxiety.

These are just some of the findings of the National Cancer Institute. (http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/t...p/cannabis-pdf)

The federal government has made it so no state can be prosecuted for implementing a medical marijuana program. That is why the 23 states (and our nation’s capital) with medical marijuana programs are still around.
You look at how many people die from prescription and OTC medicines and wonder why the hell marijuana is still illegal.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-25-15, 01:27 PM   #145
DVD Talk God

Following some links and found this. Fascinating.

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/t...pdq#section/_3
Quote:
The use of Cannabis for medicinal purposes dates back at least 3,000 years. It came into use in Western medicine in the 19th century and was said to relieve pain, inflammation, spasms, and convulsions.

In 1937, the U.S. Treasury began taxing Cannabis under the Marijuana Tax Act at one dollar per ounce for medicinal use and one hundred dollars per ounce for recreational use. The American Medical Association (AMA) opposed this regulation of Cannabis and did not want studies of its potential medicinal benefits to be limited. In 1942, Cannabis was removed from the U.S. Pharmacopoeia because of continuing concerns about its safety. In 1951, Congress passed the Boggs Act, which included Cannabis with narcotic drugs for the first time.
Good Lord! $1 per ounce tax for medical marijuana and $100 for recreational in 1937? I had no idea.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-28-15, 02:06 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
The affects are not the same, the way we should treat it socially is.
Sort of...

Alcohol is a dangerous, physically addictive substance that can kill you. Excessive and over-use results in much more serious health effects and lifestyle effects than excessive use of marijuana.

But, alas, we are never going to recognize this as a society so your advice is somewhat useful.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 09-28-15, 02:13 PM   #147
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Including the one who posted right before you, I hope.

I'll be voting against the measure for reasons wendersfan and I detailed earlier in the thread.
I'd vote for legalization under just about any circumstance. I could give a rats ass if there is a monopoly. IT's the long term goal that is at stake here, not these short term issues.

Old 09-28-15, 02:23 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'd vote for legalization under just about any circumstance. I could give a rats ass if there is a monopoly. IT's the long term goal that is at stake here, not these short term issues.
The monopoly would be enshrined in the state constitution. There's your long-term goal.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 09-28-15, 02:29 PM   #149
DVD Talk Hero

And could be reversed after the "experiment" runs the course.

Old 09-28-15, 02:30 PM   #150
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Despite changing public perception and a few state election victories, it looks like America still have a long way to go before its reefer madness hysteria ends. I was reminded how much change is still needed after visiting a friend in Idaho this summer, as I've been spoiled living across the border in the Evergreen State. Despite steps forward in the last few years, prohibition is still going strong in most of America.

Every minute, someone gets arrested for marijuana possession in the U.S.

Quote:
The nation's law enforcement agencies are still arresting people for marijuana possession at near record-high rates, according to the latest national data released today by the FBI. In 2014, at least 620,000 people were arrested for simple pot possession -- that's 1,700 people per day, or more than 1 per minute. And that number is an undercount, because a handful of states either don't report arrest numbers to the FBI, or do so only on a limited basis.

Nationwide, more than 1 in 20 arrests were for simple marijuana possession. Twenty years ago, near the dawn of the drug war, fewer than 2 percent of arrests were for pot possession. But that rate rose steadily throughout the 1990s and 2000s, even as those years saw a shift toward less-restrictive marijuana laws at the state level.

2014 saw the first year of fully legal recreational marijuana markets in Washington state and Colorado. But even as marijuana arrests plunged in those states, they crept upward at the national level -- suggesting that some jurisdictions are ramping up their marijuana enforcement efforts even as a majority of the public embraces the notion of legal weed.

"It's unacceptable that police still put this many people in handcuffs for something that a growing majority of Americans think should be legal," said Tom Angell of the Marijuana Majority, a pro-legalization group, in a statement. "There’s just no good reason that so much police time and taxpayer money is spent punishing people for marijuana when so many murders, rapes and robberies go unsolved." The FBI's figures show that over half of the nation's violent crimes, like murder, rape and assault, went unsolved in 2014.

Marijuana arrests can be costly for states and for the people arrested. The American Civil Liberties Union estimates that the typical marijuana arrest, excluding any costs of adjudication or detainment, costs about $750. At 620,000 arrests, that means that states spent nearly half a billion dollars in 2014 just to arrest people for marijuana possession.

“These numbers refute the myth that nobody actually gets arrested for using marijuana," Mason Tvert of the Marijuana Policy Project, a pro-legalization group, said in a statement. "It’s hard to imagine why more people were arrested for marijuana possession when fewer people than ever believe it should be a crime."

And the consequences of an arrest, even if it doesn't result in charges or jail time, can be devastating. An arrest can mean missing a day of work and getting fired. It can lead to a record that prevents a person from finding work in the future. If a person is detained and unable to post bail, an arrest can mean weeks in jail waiting for trial. In extreme cases, an arrest can end in death.

A number of states are planning to put marijuana legalization on the ballot in 2016, including California, Arizona and Nevada. If more states legalize and eliminate penalties for marijuana possession, the disparities in state-level marijuana enforcement may draw even more notice, given an activity that's legal in one state can lead to life-ruining consequences for somebody just across the state line. But unless Congress changes laws at the federal level, it looks like we'll be dealing with those consequences for the foreseeable future.