Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-18-15, 05:08 PM   #101
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Shooting at Charleston SC Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Yep. Everybody knows somebody who knows somebody who sells illegal guns. Except me it seems.
As Me007gold already pointed out, he could have (and did) acquire a gun innocuously, but still illegally. He could have just easily borrowed one from a friend to "go to the shooting range" if he didn't already have his own. But, sure, let's just introduce some blanket legislation that makes all handguns illegal, because that's what will stop someone determined to commit mass murder.
Old 06-18-15, 05:13 PM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Were they sent? If a firefighter drives by a burning building and stops to help, was he sent? Is his failure to stop the fire from burning a sign that no firefighters have the proper equipment?

Maybe they were sent. Or maybe they were just riding by anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Psychopath Kills 8 in Praying in Church.
OK. That's an accurate heading.

Except it was nine, not eight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
You might want to let the copy desk take a swing at this one.

Psychopath is also a medical diagnosis, I don't think they can legally make that claim. Even if he's crazy, he might not be a psychopath, and labeling him as such might help build and insanity case.
Good call on your part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
"Gunman Murders 9 People at South Carolina Church"
That's accurate.
Old 06-18-15, 05:14 PM   #103
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Why do you keep repeating this crap when it has been explained to you several times that they were not "police" in the sense we North Americans understand it. Their only duty is directing traffic and giving parking tickets. They do not have what you and I would refer to as "police training". And they were not sent to stop the shooters, they just happened to be in the area.

I'm not sure if that's true or not.

If anyone has a reliable source to show either way, I'd like to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Yeah me either. I also want to know all these people that sell pot. Because I don't know anyone.
I also have no idea who it is that people buy pot from.
Old 06-18-15, 05:15 PM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Yep. Everybody knows somebody who knows somebody who sells illegal guns. Except me it seems.
Why? Are you looking?

Because, I know this guy who knows somebody else, whose uncle knows this guy...

I'd like to welcome all the members of law enforcement who have suddenly decided to lurk this thread. The otters are a surly bunch. Surly, but fair.
Old 06-18-15, 05:21 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiackid75 View Post
I read and earlier title "Obama to address a mourning nation". Really? Ha Ha this nation is mourning over this? Lol. Ok. Sure
Well, most of us are.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-18-15, 05:22 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Drudge's headline is 100% accurate.

If you have an idea for a better headline, please tell us.
Drudge apparently didn't get the memo. According to Fox and Fiends, this was an attack on Faith. Part of the "War on Christianity", don't 'cha know?

http://mediamatters.org/video/2015/0...charles/204043
Old 06-18-15, 05:34 PM   #107
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post

(I would assume Obama misspoke and meant to say "this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries at this rate", if he didn't have such a history of lying conveniently misspeaking.)
That is what he said.

"Now is the time for mourning and for healing, but let's be clear: at some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries," the president continued. "It doesn't happen in other places with this kind of frequency and it is in our power to do something about it."

So, were you conveniently lying or misspeaking?
Old 06-18-15, 05:36 PM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

Home Alone 6: Big House Solitary?

Old 06-18-15, 05:38 PM   #109
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I'm not sure if that's true or not.

If anyone has a reliable source to show either way, I'd like to see it.

"Although the word "police" refers to the maintenance of order, the function (of the Municipal Police) mainly comprises the protection of citizens from disasters, and the task of regulating traffic and parking. To do so, municipalities are required to establish municipal police services, under the authority of the mayor for the task of enforcing local bylaws."

The "Police Nationale" is the real police. And they wouldn't dispatch friggin' untrained/unarmed traffic cops to the scene of a crime...
Old 06-18-15, 05:40 PM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

after every one of these events (which sadly come too frequently), I think to myself "I don't want to know the killer's name, nobody should know his name (or see his face)". I wish the media would never report the names (I realize here it was part of the manhunt, but maybe after that they should drop the name). These murderers surely do this type of act for the notoriety, so that people will know their name and the impact they had. Maybe if we never heard the names, maybe if I didn't know who the fuck Adam Lanza is, maybe one of them -- one is enough -- doesn't go through with it.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 06-18-15, 05:52 PM   #111
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post

"Although the word "police" refers to the maintenance of order, the function (of the Municipal Police) mainly comprises the protection of citizens from disasters, and the task of regulating traffic and parking. To do so, municipalities are required to establish municipal police services, under the authority of the mayor for the task of enforcing local bylaws."

The "Police Nationale" is the real police. And they wouldn't dispatch friggin' untrained/unarmed traffic cops to the scene of a crime...
This must be what he means about being so focused on truth and accuracy. Even when corrected about a mistake, he continues to spread misinformation.
Old 06-18-15, 05:58 PM   #112
DVD Talk Hero

Gotta love Geraldo incinuating it's potentially a bigger conspiracy of White Supremacists.

The only thing bigger would be his mustache.
Old 06-18-15, 06:09 PM   #113
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
Home Alone 6: Big House Solitary?

Now that, friends and neighbors, is the textbook definition of a punchable face.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 06-18-15, 06:10 PM   #114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
after every one of these events (which sadly come too frequently), I think to myself "I don't want to know the killer's name, nobody should know his name (or see his face)". I wish the media would never report the names (I realize here it was part of the manhunt, but maybe after that they should drop the name). These murderers surely do this type of act for the notoriety, so that people will know their name and the impact they had. Maybe if we never heard the names, maybe if I didn't know who the fuck Adam Lanza is, maybe one of them -- one is enough -- doesn't go through with it.
Exactly. Geraldo even referred to the shooter as a "racist James holmes". I think the media needs to report and move on. They certainly aren't reporting these events because they care about humanity.
Old 06-18-15, 06:23 PM   #115
DVD Talk Ruler

As with all these things I am always interested to see what deep pockets get blamed.. Gun maker? I'm already reading that he was likely taking Suboxone which has been known to change behavior in people. And yes CRM114 I know Obama has deep pockets..
Old 06-18-15, 06:27 PM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

He will have a fabulous time in prison.

Meanwhile, some "lady" classing it up on CNN:
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 06-18-15, 06:44 PM   #117
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
But, sure, let's just introduce some blanket legislation that makes all handguns illegal, because that's what will stop someone determined to commit mass murder.
Not at first, but probably would cut the numbers way down eventually.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 06-18-15, 06:47 PM   #118
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
And yes CRM114 I know Obama has deep pockets..
I didn't realize you had that kind of relationship with him.
Old 06-18-15, 06:50 PM   #119
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm pretty sure if guns were illegal mass murders will kill a bit less people. It's a lot harder to kill a bunch with just a knife or run them with ur car or poison them... Maybe that I can do many at once but I would have to time it right...wait where was I
Old 06-18-15, 06:58 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
I'm pretty sure if guns were illegal mass murders will kill a bit less people. It's a lot harder to kill a bunch with just a knife or run them with ur car or poison them... Maybe that I can do many at once but I would have to time it right...wait where was I
The sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway killed 12. There were 1000s of injuries, some quite serious. And in China that guy killed 8 children with a knife.
Old 06-18-15, 07:04 PM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk View Post
That is what he said.

"Now is the time for mourning and for healing, but let's be clear: at some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries," the president continued. "It doesn't happen in other places with this kind of frequency and it is in our power to do something about it."

So, were you conveniently lying or misspeaking?

Please provide a link that shows Obama's words included "with this kind of frequency."

In the meantime, here's what the Washington Post says he said:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...an-ame-church/

“Now is the time for mourning and for healing,” the president added. “But let’s be clear: At some point we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries.”
Old 06-18-15, 07:05 PM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 06-18-15, 07:07 PM   #123
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
So if you're arguing quantity of deaths then we should look way beyond gun deaths.

Ever think that Americans just don't like each other and it won't matter what you do unless we lock all Americans up in a separate cell?
Old 06-18-15, 07:07 PM   #124
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the father gave his son a gun and the son could get one himself because of pending felony. Dad should be tried as accessory to murder.
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 06-18-15, 07:08 PM   #125
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Now who says bringing guns to church is crazy?
If only the victims had guns to protect themselves...

Once again, a "gun free zone" did not prevent the murderer from killing innocent people, but it did prevent those innocent people from being allowed to defend themselves:

http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/18/ch...gun-free-zone/

Charleston Church Massacre Happened In Gun-Free Zone

June 18, 2015

The Charleston, S.C., church massacre is already drawing comparisons to the tragedies at the Sandy Hook School in Newtown, Conn., and at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo. because it happened in a gun-free zone.

Nine people were were fatally shot at a historically black church Wednesday night.

Although South Carolina is one of several states around the country that issue concealed carry licenses on a “shall issue” basis, legal gun owners are not permitted to carry their firearms into places of worship.

States that issue such permits grants gun licenses to residents without the “arbitrary bias and discretion, compelling the issuing authority to award the permit,” Buckeye Firearms notes.

According to South Carolina law, civilians may not carry their legal fire arms “on school premises (including day care and preschool facilities), in law enforcement offices or facilities, in court facilities, at polling places on election days, in churches or other religious sanctuaries, or in hospitals or medical facilities. (S.C. Code Ann.§ 23-31-215.)”

The penalties for carrying a firearm in such places include a fine of at least $1,000, up to one year in jail, or both.

The alleged gunman, who was captured in Shelby, N.C., Thursday, is 21-year-old Dylann Storm Roof, a white male from Lexington, S.C. Reuters reported Thursday that Roof’s father gave him a .45 caliber pistol for his 21st birthday in April.

That’s also the day when he became eligible to apply for a concealed carry permit. It is unknown if he is a South Carolina permit holder.