Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

SCOTUS warned of civil disobedience over same-sex marriage

Old 04-29-15, 10:20 AM
Banned

SCOTUS warned of civil disobedience over same-sex marriage

Christian religious leaders & politicans issue warning of acts of civil disobedience if SCOTUS rules in favor of same-sex plaintiffs.

No word yet on whether buildings will be torched & police cars vandalized.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...supreme-court/
Old 04-29-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: SCOTUS warned of civil disobedience over same-sex marriage

“We respectfully warn the Supreme Court not to cross that line,” read a document titled, Pledge in Solidarity to Defend Marriage. “We stand united together in defense of marriage. Make no mistake about our resolve.”
They can't be serious, can they?

Were people this ridiculous when the court(s) made them (probably many of the same people if they are old enough) realize they were wrong on racial discrimination?
Old 04-29-15, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Waste of time... although I will agree, it beats rioting.
Old 04-29-15, 11:08 AM

Reading that article somewhat enraged me, but this part was just too much:

That’s quite a shocking statement. So I asked Mr. Staver to clarify his remarks.

“I’m calling for people to not recognize the legitimacy of that ruling because it’s not grounded in the Rule of Law,” he told me. “They need to resist that ruling in every way possible. In a peaceful way – they need to resist it as much as Martin Luther King, Jr. resisted unjust laws in his time.”
Old 04-29-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's a lot of crazy all in one article. Which is more likely to bring about the end to Western Civilization? Same-sex marriage or hateful religious fanaticism? I know which one my money is on...
Old 04-29-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
They can't be serious, can they?

Were people this ridiculous when the court(s) made them (probably many of the same people if they are old enough) realize they were wrong on racial discrimination?
Happened a lot, especially in the south.

One of many incidents :

After the SCOTUS ruled that school segregation was unconstitutional, the Governor of Arkansas sent the National Guard to prevent blacks from going to school in order to "preserve the peace".

http://life.time.com/history/little-...1957-photos/#1

Last edited by inri222; 04-29-15 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-29-15, 11:26 AM
Banned

So are we getting closer to wiping out some more on the lunatic fringe through another Waco incident?
Old 04-29-15, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Angry, petty bigots stomp their feet and cry and complain. They'll be washed away by the ebbing tides of history. And they know it.
Old 04-29-15, 11:31 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

"Listen, SCOTUS, I'm warning you. If you rule in favor of gay marriage, I will refuse to be gay married."
Old 04-29-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Romans had the right idea.
Old 04-29-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Christian religious leaders & politicans issue warning of acts of civil disobedience if SCOTUS rules in favor of same-sex plaintiffs.

Protesting something that doesn't affect you in the slightest is the biggest waste of time. At least black people do have a chance of getting murdered by a police officer. Straights will never have to get gay-married.
Old 04-29-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The Romans had the right idea.
Except that Romans never fed a single christian to a single lion. That was invented by christians to feed their martyrdom mythology.

In much the same way they claim making a cake somehow constitutes an assault on their religious liberty.
Old 04-29-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Happened a lot, especially in the south.

One of many incidents :

After the SCOTUS ruled that school segregation was unconstitutional, the Governor of Arkansas sent the National Guard to prevent blacks from going to school in order to "preserve the peace".

http://life.time.com/history/little-...1957-photos/#1
I vaguely remember covering that incident in class, but very little time was ever spent talking about this topic because it was a done deal in the 80's and long overdue. I suspect the same will be true for future generations when it concerns past bigotry against homosexuals.
Old 04-29-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Protesting something that doesn't affect you in the slightest is the biggest waste of time. At least black people do have a chance of getting murdered by a police officer. Straights will never have to get gay-married.
It's happening guys. All this "gay marriage" talk is turning otherwise straight Christian men in gay-sex-lovers. I'm still trying to get confirmation on the guy's real name, so far all we know is he is going by the super gay pseudonym "Randy Boehning" (I presume because "Dick Inabutt" was taken). As soon as I get his real name I'll let you all know so we can start a prayer email chain going to save his soul from the Gays!

"And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...y-rights-bill/

Dustin Smith is an “out and proud gay man” living in North Dakota, one of America’s more conservative states. So the 21-year-old wasn’t exactly surprised when he read that state legislators had refused to outlaw discrimination against gays. “These are the members of the House who voted against legal protections,” read the headline of an April 2 article alongside photos of the politicians.

What surprised Smith was that he knew one of them — somewhat intimately, it turns out.

“I’m sure I’ve talked to this person before,” Smith remembers thinking to himself, as he told The Washington Post in a telephone interview from his home in Bismarck, N.D. “Suddenly it dawned on me: I think I’ve seen this guy on Grindr!”

Smith started going through his conversations on Grindr — “an all-male location-based social network“— searching for the round, bespectacled face and bushy eyebrows. And there he was: Top Man!, a.k.a. Randy Boehning, the Republican state representative from Fargo.

Scrolling through the conversation, however, Smith found more than sexually suggestive messages. He found an unsolicited picture of the public servant’s not-so-public parts.

“I just felt like this story had to get out,” Smith said. “A [representative] had voted against a bill for the LGBT community and here he was talking to me on Grindr.”

[“Outrage” documentary outs gay politicians who vote against gay rights]

Smith approached a reporter from the Forum in Fargo, and on Monday night the newspaper ran an exposé.

Since his election in 2002, Boehning has proved a staunch conservative. He has pushed to allow guns in classrooms and churches and sponsored strict voter identification requirements. He once attacked Democrats over their effort to give poor kids extra milk at school. Twice, he’s voted against expanding legal protections for gays.

Grindr-gate, however, has plunged Boehning into an existential crisis. Confronted with the photos he had sent Smith, the lawmaker admitted that he was gay. (His Grindr bio reads: “Seems I haven’t found mister right yet, so need to keep looking for and having fun on the way! Hit me up boys.”)

Boehning, 49, also defended sending the younger man a picture of his private parts and pickup lines such as “What’s up tonight sexy?”

“That’s what gay guys do on gay sites, don’t they?” he told the Forum. “That’s how things happen on Grindr. It’s a gay chat site. It’s not the first thing you do on that site. That’s what we do, exchange pics on the site.”

But then things got weird.

Boehning said Smith’s disclosure of the photos was part of a campaign to retaliate against him for his vote against the anti-discrimination bill. A fellow state representative had tried to blackmail him before the April 2 vote, threatening Boehning that he would be targeted for retaliation if he didn’t back the legislation, Boehning also claimed. But then he refused to name the alleged blackmailer.

He also gave two reasons for voting against the bill, even though he is gay, according to the Forum. Boehning quibbled with the language of the proposed legislation, which would have protected people “perceived” to be gay. But he also said he voted against his own self-interest because his south Fargo constituents would want him to.

“This has been a challenge for me,” he said. “You don’t tell everyone you’re going to vote one way and then switch your vote another way — you don’t have any credibility that way.”

Grindr-gate has caused controversy in Bismarck, a city of less than 70,000. Some questioned whether it was right for Smith — and the Forum — to effectively out the politician.

But Smith insisted it was never his intention to out a fellow gay man. Instead, he spoke up out of concern for gay rights in what he calls a “bigoted state.”

“We live in a state that discriminates against gay people,” he told The Post, adding that gays could be denied housing or restaurant service because Boehning and other politicians voted down the anti-discrimination bill. “North Dakota is kind of being left in the dust as far as civil rights are concerned.”

He added: “I’ve witnessed it going to high school. I’ve witnessed it in my own life, where you don’t have a chance to come out on your own terms and come out in your own way … I’m not trying discredit him in anyway. I’m just trying to point out the hypocrisy of it. He lives in a state where he represents constituents who don’t agree with his lifestyle. But he has to lie to them about his lifestyle and his personal beliefs to get elected.”

In fact, Smith confronted Boehning with his criticism before going to the media.

“Saw you in the paper. Lol,” Smith wrote on April 4.

“And,” the representative replied.

“Found it interesting,” Smith wrote.

“Yeah.”

“Lol Doesn’t the hypocrisy bother you?” Smith wrote. Boehning didn’t answer.

Smith’s own life informed his decision to go public with the conversation. Raised in an evangelical Christian family in Dickinson, N.D., Smith said his parents learned he was gay when they found an amorous conversation with a schoolmate on his cellphone. His parents sent him to their pastor to “pray the gay away,” he said. “It was a very dark time in my life. I went through depression. Contemplated suicide. That kind of stuff.”

“I struggled with my sexuality and coming out for a very long time,” he said. When he finally came out to his friends and family as a junior in high school, “it was a huge weight lifted off my life. The people who loved me and accepted me drew me in closer.

“I’m hoping that [Boehning] experiences something very similar with him coming out,” Smith said.

In fact, the politician said he was relieved not to keep secrets anymore, even though those secrets protected him from his own constituents.

“The 1,000-pound gorilla has been lifted,” Boehning said. “I have to confront it at some point.”
Old 04-29-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they rule in favor of same-sex marriage, will any religious people who only support marriage between man and woman, be unable to perform daily tasks? Such as going to their job, going grocery shopping, going to dinner? Will gay marriage personally affect any of that?
Old 04-29-15, 01:10 PM
Banned

Old 04-29-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How would this "civil disobedience" work?

I'm genuinely curious.

Since marriage equality is about giving rights to people who didn't have them before, there aren't really any laws that for them to break. It's not like Susan B. Anthony trying to vote, refusing to give up your seat on a bus, or sitting at a "whites only" lunch counter, which in all three instances are people requesting the same rights as others.

What will this civil disobedience look like?

Sitting in at same-sex weddings? Attempting to bodily block same-sex weddings from taking place? (ie, trespassing) Teachers refusing to teach the children of gay parents? Businesses firing gay employees en masse? Businesses refusing to grant marriage benefits to employees in a same-sex marriage? Medical professionals refusing to treat same-sex patients?
Old 04-29-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Certainly there would not be any civil disobedience if they rule the other way
Old 04-29-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
What will this civil disobedience look like?

Hard not to picture Phelps when reading some of the posts here on the topic of gay marriage.
Old 04-29-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
If they rule in favor of same-sex marriage, will any religious people who only support marriage between man and woman, be unable to perform daily tasks? Such as going to their job, going grocery shopping, going to dinner? Will gay marriage personally affect any of that?
If gays are allowed to marry then NASCAR, rodeos and country music will be banned.
Old 04-29-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Certainly there would not be any civil disobedience if they rule the other way
I don't expect the court to rule the other way, but if they do, I'd expect it to be more of a punt, paving the way for an inevitable ruling a few more years down the line.

As it stands now, I'm 100% sure how Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, Kagan, Thomas, Scalia and Alito will vote. I'm about 95% sure how Roberts will vote.

This will all come down to Kennedy. His statements yesterday make it seem like he's on the fence, but I think he will end up siding with Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan.

I don't think it's realistic that Kennedy will completely side with Thomas, Scalia, Alito and Roberts. Best case scenario for the anti-SSM people is that states can still ban SSM, but they have to recognize a lawful SSM performed in other states.
Old 04-29-15, 02:03 PM
Banned by request

Christians: If same-sex marriage is made legal, it's only a matter of time before people are arrested for disagreeing with it!

SCOTUS: We're probably going to make SSM legal.

Christians: Then we're going to break some laws!

*smacks forehead*
Old 04-29-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
If gays are allowed to marry then NASCAR, rodeos and country music will be banned.
We can only hope.
Old 04-29-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess that's a "no" answer? I wonder if anyone has ever tried to call their boss and tell them they can't come in to work because of gay marriage.
Old 04-29-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Even if it passes, by a vote of 5-4 (or whatever), I just hope the justices that vote against marriage equality really think about their legacy, and how for the rest of history, their names and faces will be remembered as the people who voted to make sure a group of people didn't get the same rights as others.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.