Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Baltimore Riots

Old 04-28-15, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Baltimore Riots

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
After saying she gave them space to destroy, she is now claiming that she never said it:
I understood what she meant in her original quote. She should have added the word unfortunately or something to that affect, to contrast between the protesters and those destroying. But I still got the jist of it. Anyone who says she intentionally gave them space to destroy is just making political hay.
Old 04-28-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And hay they made. Megyn Kelly was beside herself last night with rage at the mayor's comments. Meanwhile, on MSNBC, Rachel Maddow was covering the death of Freddie Gray.
Old 04-28-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
And hay they made. Megyn Kelly was beside herself last night with rage at the mayor's comments. Meanwhile, on MSNBC, Rachel Maddow was covering the death of Freddie Gray.
I found it odd there was little to no coverage of Freddie Gray and what happened to him. I still am not sure what the hell happened??? Has there even been an investigation or videos released?
Old 04-28-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I found it odd there was little to no coverage of Freddie Gray and what happened to him. I still am not sure what the hell happened??? Has there even been an investigation or videos released?
Probably because it just happened and no investigation has had any chance to conclude.

Why like the determining of facts get in the way of Fox News trying to make hey, MSNBC trying get more than 12 viewers so their hosts can pay their back taxes, Rev Al and his ilk extort some cash out of this (which certainly will not go towards his back taxes), and morons running around the street looting.

Good times
Old 04-28-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
Anyone who says she intentionally gave them space to destroy is just making political hay.
OK.. that fact that she says she did it in the press conference shouldn't matter I guess. Only after the fact, when she realized she sent out a huge green light to everyone, did she decide she didn't say it after all. Come on.. Political hay

And it's not like nobody heard her say it. It hit NPR and the wires almost immediately.

Here's what I think would have worked better for her. I mean she had already screwed up so there's no getting around that. But something like "I made a tactical decision based on my faith and trust of the great people of Baltimore and I am extremely disappointed that they took advantage of the situation for their own personal gain." or some such. Just admit it and go on but don't look double stupid by denying you did something that everyone knows you did.

Last edited by General Zod; 04-28-15 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Any respect I had for this president has just disappeared.
Old 04-28-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Again ... idiot

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-riot-response

Baltimore mayor defends riot response
Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is pushing back against critics who are questioning her handling of the riots that swept parts of the city on Monday night.

“You can’t see everything that I see; you don’t know all the different moving pieces,” she told reporters Tuesday morning.
“There are always going to be armchair quarterbacks that have never sat in my seat that see things differently, but this isn’t the first emergency that I’ve had to deal with, and I know you have to put in the work and manage the crisis on the ground.”

Rawlings-Blake, who is eying a run for the Senate in 2016, is being thrust into the national spotlight by the case of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who died earlier this month in police custody. It’s unclear how Gray suffered the severe spinal injury that ended his life.

Gray’s funeral on Monday intensified the protests in the afternoon and into the early evening. Some of those protests became violent, with people throwing objects at police and setting fires. Police officials told the media that 15 officers were hospitalized.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) on Monday night activated the National Guard in Baltimore and suggested Rawlings-Blake had held up the process.

"When the mayor called me, which quite frankly we were glad that she finally did, instantly we signed the executive order," Hogan said.

Rawlings-Blake defended her handling of the crisis, and lamented the toll that the unrest had taken on her city. She noted that one of the fires gutted a West Baltimore CVS that had been seen as a crucial addition to the community.

“I spoke to someone here who knows how hard we fought to get a CVS to invest into this neighborhood,” she said, noting that the drug stores is the only place some people can pick up prescriptions nearby.

“Everybody know we have a city with great needs, and there are many that are struggling. What happened last night made sure that more people are struggling.”

The mayor said over the weekend that the city has been trying to walk the line of keeping the peace and allowing people to protest. She added that in the balancing act, she wanted to “give those who wished to destroy space to do that.”

Some criticized her for that remark, and her office walked back those comments on Monday.

"Unfortunately, as a result of providing the peaceful demonstrators with the space to share their message, that also meant that those seeking to incite violence also had the space to operate,” Howard Libit, her spokesman said, according to The Baltimore Sun.

“The mayor is not saying that she asked police to give space to people who sought to create violence. Any suggestion otherwise would be a misinterpretation of her statement.”
Old 04-28-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Freddie Gray Arrest: The Videos You Need to See

http://heavy.com/news/2015/04/freddi...utality-death/
Old 04-28-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Any respect I had for this president has just disappeared.
Old 04-28-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have many liberal friends and acquaintances who are pro-riot. I've held my tongue around them. But, I find their attitude disturbing.

Of course they're pro-riot. Their home or livelihood isn't being burned to the ground. Their loved ones aren't being hurt because of the criminal misconduct of people who have their same skin color. They trot out the quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. about "riots being the voice of the unheard" (as if MLK Jr was pro-riot, and not commenting on a tragic institutional problem).

So, I have to ask my liberal friends, in absentia, what do they think this riot is going to accomplish? Did the 1992 L.A. Riots stop institutional racism in this country or did it add fuel to the fire?

But, before anyone in the conservative arena starts saying "right on", we have a SERIOUS problem with police misconduct in this country, (especially toward African Americans) that needs to be addressed (among many injustices leveled at the African American community). It needs media exposure and it needs people to get involved in the goings-on in their community and it requires voting--which is being stymied by, how shall I put it, REPUBLICAN politicians.

Last edited by PatD; 04-28-15 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-28-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Even an apologist such as you can not defend some of the comments the president made.
Old 04-28-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pro-riot? That's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Even an apologist such as you can not defend some of the comments the president made.
An apologist? Why would I apologize for someone I actually respect and admire? I heard part of his comments while at lunch and just knew it would send elderly white guys in Oklahoma over the edge.
Old 04-28-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first and only thing I think about when dumb bullshit like this happens are all the people who want no part of it - can't stand seeing innocent people get hurt.

As for the whole picture...If what I'm hearing on the issue is true (that he was already in custody then died) then of course that is some foul shit and I don't blame people for being enraged but you don't loot stores and hurt innocent people.
Old 04-28-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I commend this mother pulling her son from dumbness

Old 04-28-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The story is that the kid made eye contact with a cop and took off on his bike. He was pursued and restrained. He was placed in a police vehicle in obvious extreme pain without being buckled. His voice box was crushed and his spinal cord 80% severed. He died a week later.
Old 04-28-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An apologist? Why would I apologize for someone I actually respect and admire?
That's not what apologist means.
Old 04-28-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
I have many liberal friends and acquaintances who are pro-riot. I've held my tongue around them. But, I find their attitude disturbing.

Of course their pro-riot. Their home or livelihood isn't being burned to the ground. Their loved ones aren't being hurt because of the criminal misconduct of people who have their same skin color. They trot out the quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. about "riots being the voice of the unheard" (as if MLK Jr was pro-riot, and not commenting on a tragic institutional problem).

So, I have to ask my liberal friends, in absentia, what do they think this riot is going to accomplish? Did the 1992 L.A. Riots stop institutional racism in this country or did it add fuel to the fire?

But, before anyone in the conservative arena starts saying "right on", we have a SERIOUS problem with police misconduct in this country, (especially toward African Americans) that needs to be addressed (among many injustices leveled at the African American community). It needs media exposure and it needs people to get involved in the goings-on in their community and it requires voting--which is being stymied by, how shall I put it, REPUBLICAN politicians.
A former NY cop was on CNN this morning and I think he said that if the rioting began in the Mayor's neighborhood, the police response would have been much faster. I still can't believe they basically let them destroy the city a few hours before doing anything.
Old 04-28-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, because massive force with televised death would be preferable.
Old 04-28-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, because massive force with televised death would be preferable.
So just let them completely destroy the entire city? You want the National Guard to leave too? I'm glad you're not the Mayor in my city.
DVD Talk Legend

Meanwhile, Ray Lewis (of all people) sounds off against the violence of the Baltimore Riots, which is, as DailySnark put it.... "...maybe the most ironic thing in the history of irony."

Edited to add: My bad, it was NFL Memes, not DailySnark, that recognized the irony:
https://www.facebook.com/MEMES.of.the.NFL?fref=nf

To apologize, here's a free meme:

Last edited by kenbuzz; 04-28-15 at 01:50 PM.
DVD Talk Legend

Tweet by a Baltimore Sun reporter:

Many comments from officials about looting being "kids"; police clarify there were 235 arrests, only 34 of which were juveniles
Old 04-28-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The story is that the kid made eye contact with a cop and took off on his bike. He was pursued and restrained. He was placed in a police vehicle in obvious extreme pain without being buckled. His voice box was crushed and his spinal cord 80% severed. He died a week later.
They are saying that Baltimore Cops have been doing this thing called "nickel rides" or "rough rides". They throw you in a wagon, don't restrain you, and then proceed to drive in a manner that allows the person in the back to be violently bumped around and injured. It's a form of "street justice" and a way for cops to abuse perps without really touching them. This may be how his back was broken in several spots.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=nickel+ride

nickel ride
"Nickel Ride" refers to the act of police officers throwing suspects into the back of a police transporter. The suspects are left without restraints and are thrown around due to the reckless driving of the police, who intend to harm the suspect.
Criminal 1: Yo mang, dat cop gave me a nickel ride.
Criminal 2: Oh say what?
Criminal 1: Yeah, I broke mah neck.

Google link for Nickel Rides in relation to this case
Old 04-28-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
So just let them completely destroy the entire city? You want the National Guard to leave too? I'm glad you're not the Mayor in my city.
How was it "the entire city"? The strategy was obviously to contain the riot to a small area of the city.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
They are saying that Baltimore Cops have been doing this thing called "nickel rides". They throw you in a wagon, don't restrain you, and then proceed to drive in a manner that allows the person in the back to be violently bumped around and injured. It's a form of "street justice" and a way for cops to abuse perps without really touching them. This may be how his back was broken in several spots.

Yes, I heard this too. They shackle the legs and arms too so the guy can't cushion the blows. One of the reports indicate the van stopped 3 times, one time to put leg irons on.
Old 04-28-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
They are saying that Baltimore Cops have been doing this thing called "nickel rides". They throw you in a wagon, don't restrain you, and then proceed to drive in a manner that allows the person in the back to be violently bumped around and injured. It's a form of "street justice" and a way for cops to abuse perps without really touching them. This may be how his back was broken in several spots.

If that is what happened here it is clearly wrong and should be stopped. What is happening now is in no way, shape of form the right response though.
Old 04-28-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Tweet by a Baltimore Sun reporter:
They didn't detain or even "arrest" everyone they observed committing crime, and were probably more inclined to go through official arresting the adults they detained and probably just released most kids back to their parents, or never bothered to even apprehend and detain the kids. You sorta gotta pick your battles in a riot.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.