Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

What Restroom Should Transgender People Use?

Old 04-02-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What Restroom Should Transgender People Use?

It may seem like a ridiculous question, and it is. But some states are seriously considering making it illegal for transgender people to use the bathroom. Florida is one such state amongst others whom want to send transgender women to jail if they use the women's room.

What do you think about this?

I made a brief video that gives a visual illustration of what this entails if they attempted to enforce such laws, since none of this stuff seemed to cross their minds when thinking up such legislation. So this is for anyone who fears transgender people and, or, buys into the scare stories those supporting the bills say. Here is the reality and I hope it gives you something to consider.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZTS6TlP8I4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-02-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What Restroom Should Transgender People Use?

Good video. I hope Florida gets their act together and kills the bill.
Old 04-02-15, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have three trans women (male to female) at my work... let's just say none of them really pose any kind of physical threat to women...which I would guess is the reason no one really cares. (as far as I know) They just use the women's restroom now... no one really gives it a second thought.
Old 04-02-15, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with you, Julie.

Also Barbie looks like she just came home from a frat party. Those boys were in for a surprise.
Old 04-02-15, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whichever bathroom they feel fits their gender identity best.
Old 04-02-15, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Correct answer.
Old 04-02-15, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a mens room and a womens room. Use whichever one you're most comfortable with. Never understood why this was much of a big deal.
Old 04-02-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's Starship Trooper this and just make all bathrooms COED. Unless there's a line, then we split it again.
Old 04-02-15, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think men, in general, are as freaked out about ladies coming in the share their facilities as women would be about dudes coming into their bathroom. So perhaps the default answer should just be "use the men's room". The men's room is faster to use anyway, and if the transgendered person has a schlong he/she could use a urinal and finish their business just that much quicker.
Old 04-02-15, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I don't think men, in general, are as freaked out about ladies coming in the share their facilities as women would be about dudes coming into their bathroom. So perhaps the default answer should just be "use the men's room". The men's room is faster to use anyway, and if the transgendered person has a schlong he/she could use a urinal and finish their business just that much quicker.

I don't think so either. The couple times I have been in Europe, it is not big deal for a female cleaning lady to come into the men's room while it is in use. Not sure if the opposite occurs.
Old 04-02-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

All bathrooms should be unisex. Seriously. What is the point of bathrooms separated by gender?
Old 04-02-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think they should use which ever they want. Who cares.

Now the arguement I have heard has nothing to do with the transgender person directly. Meaning, "if they let a male to female transgender in the women's restroom, what is to stop 'any' man from coming in the women's restroom".

I don't know that this has been an issue. Just what I've heard. Again, I have no problem with whatever. I'm shy and get in and out of gym locker room as quickly as possible. Even with all guys.

This made FB a while back. Good for Planet Fitness.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/07/living...gender-member/
Old 04-02-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
All bathrooms should be unisex. Seriously. What is the point of bathrooms separated by gender?
So men don't have to stand in line. You know, male privilege and all that.
Old 04-02-15, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, I figured it was just assigned by junk. If you have a dick go use a urinal, if you have a vag go pop a squat. But I guess we can go the gender identity route as well. None of it is a big deal, we all know what each thing looks like.
Old 04-02-15, 09:46 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
In theory, I agree with you. But there would certainly be logistical issues. They'd have to individualize every stall for one. The standard men's room 'wall of urinals' wouldn't work in a mixed setting.

They'd also have to drop the stall barriers all the way to the floor and make the stall doors more 'airtight' where you can't see through the crack (and I'd be totally okay with this)... otherwise imagine all the perverts sneaking peeks, "Sorry miss, I didn't realize it was occupied, yeah that's the ticket!"

Honestly I think it's a lot easier for guys to say a unisex bathroom is no big deal, but I'm picturing a 13 year old girl walking to the restroom alone and some weird guy is in there just kinda lingering at the sinks, ostensibly washing up... I don't know.
Old 04-02-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they were actually passing, it wouldn't be a problem!
Old 04-02-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was just reading about this ... there's a trans guy who started a twitter tag #wejustneedtopee, taking selfies, showing how ridiculous the end result of these laws would be:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/tra...elfie-centered
Now the arguement I have heard has nothing to do with the transgender person directly. Meaning, "if they let a male to female transgender in the women's restroom, what is to stop 'any' man from coming in the women's restroom".
This is defiinitely the big problem. EVERY time this comes up, people are always worried about rapists throwing on a wig and hanging out in the woman's bathroom and there being nothing you can do to get rid of them. I think it's kind of an imaginary problem ... but it's hard to convince people that it WON'T happen.
Old 04-02-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
In theory, I agree with you. But there would certainly be logistical issues. They'd have to individualize every stall for one. The standard men's room 'wall of urinals' wouldn't work in a mixed setting.
Not to mention the dreaded pee trough...

Old 04-02-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
This.
Old 04-02-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As long as there isn't a line, who cares?

Hell, we only have two single person bathrooms at work (for over 100 employees, which is fucking ridiculous) and we are banned from using the customer bathrooms downstairs. When I have to go, I don't care which bathroom is available and have used the ladies room on countless occasions. Even though these are single person bathrooms (with a lock), there are still occasions when people either get weirded out or make smartass comments when it turns out a guy is in the women's room. So I imagine more "communal" bathrooms would be a bigger issue for these people

Honestly, either make bathrooms unisex or change the labels to "penises" and "vaginas", making it an issue of plumbing rather than gender.
Old 04-02-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Eh, I figured it was just assigned by junk. If you have a dick go use a urinal, if you have a vag go pop a squat. But I guess we can go the gender identity route as well. None of it is a big deal, we all know what each thing looks like.
This is probably the correct answer as a lot of men's bathrooms have a wall of urinals and only one or two stalls. It would take a lot of capital investment to have equal urinal and stalls in all bathrooms so just continue as is.
Old 04-02-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Let's Starship Trooper this and just make all bathrooms COED.
More like Ally McBeal since few have showers like ST, but yeah. /thread
Old 04-02-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Answer: Whichever one I'm not using.
Old 04-02-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
At some of the venues here for plays and musicals in Pittsburgh, women consistently come in during intermission because the lines are so long for the ladies room. It's always younger women (in their 20s) and it's usually only the older guys (you know, like me) who have a problem with it.
Old 04-02-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any other guys hate that trans women can grow better beards than you? No? Just me and my asian lack of facial hair? Well alrighty then.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.