Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Stalin is so alluring. (also includes a poll about Presidential college degrees?!)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Would You Vote for a Presidential Candidate with no College Degree?
Yes
68.75%
No
31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Stalin is so alluring. (also includes a poll about Presidential college degrees?!)

Old 02-03-15, 09:55 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

Interesting issue being discussed on the Michael Smerconish show this morning. Would you vote for a presidential candidate who didn't obtain a college degree (either never went to college or dropped out)? We're not talking about any specific candidate here. As a general proposition, is a college degree a prerequisite in your mind?

I think that I would vote for someone without a college degree if s/he is otherwise qualified by experience (i.e., has accomplished something tangible in life) and demonstrates a solid grasp of the issues. I would look closer at such a candidate though. College is by no means the only place to learn critical thinking skills (and there are plenty of college graduates who lack such skills), but I want an educated president.
Old 02-03-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Stalin is so alluring. (also includes a poll about Presidential college degrees?!)

No, I wuldn't. If I can get a degree, so should the leader of the free world.
Old 02-03-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Stalin is so alluring. (also includes a poll about Presidential college degrees?!)

Sure, but when it comes to POTUS, I don't think I would ever get the chance.

I see this as basically a repeat of the millitary service question. For me, both are not a requirement.
Old 02-03-15, 10:10 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

Proving my own point that a college degree isn't the be-all and end-all, I made a spelling mistake in the thread title and I went to college and law school!
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 268 Likes on 167 Posts

I wuld. Plenty of my co-workers over the years didn't have a college degree and they've been some of the best workers in the company. 2 of the 3 presidents on Mt. Rushmore didn't have a college degree.. Not sure what my point is there but.. there ya go.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Old 02-03-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 118 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes I wood, as long as he accepts Jesus Christ as his lord & savior.
Old 02-03-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of our best presidents (Jefferson, Taft, Palin) were high-school dropouts while some of the worst (Hitler, Monroe, Galactus) had Ph.D.s
Old 02-03-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
That is the real only important unwritten requirement in the US. I doubt we will ever see an exception in my lifetime. Probably not in my daughter's lifetime.
Old 02-03-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I wuld. Plenty of my co-workers over the years didn't have a college degree and they've been some of the best workers in the company. 2 of the 3 presidents on Mt. Rushmore didn't have a college degree.. Not sure what my point is there but.. there ya go.
What about the 4th president on Rushmore? Did you forget poor Teddy? (And, no, I wuld not vote for a candidate who couldn't i.d. the four faces on Rushmore.)
Old 02-03-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 268 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
What about the 4th president on Rushmore? Did you forget poor Teddy? (And, no, I wuld not vote for a candidate who couldn't i.d. the four faces on Rushmore.)
Oops I meant to say 2 of the 4. Well... that's the only reason I'm not running for president.

That and it's a thankless job.. and doesn't pay very well. What it now like 400k? Forget it.
Old 02-03-15, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
That is the real only important unwritten requirement in the US. I doubt we will ever see an exception in my lifetime. Probably not in my daughter's lifetime.

And the bees in the bonnet go 'round & 'round...'round & 'round...'round & 'round....

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-03-15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-03-15, 10:37 AM
Banned

Do honorary degrees count?

I'm sure that many people wouldn't disqualify Bill Gates.
Old 02-03-15, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, I would not.
Old 02-03-15, 11:26 AM
Banned by request

How much wuld wuld a wuldchuck chuck if a wuldchuck ran for the office of President of the United States of America?
Old 02-03-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted for just such a person for governor. Three times. So yes. I wuld.
Old 02-03-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts

I would consider it. I'm curious how many members of the house/senate don't have one.
Old 02-03-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have this sneaking suspicion that a large majority of liberals would not vote for a Republican who didn't have a college degree and a large majority of conservatives would not vote for a Democrat who didn't have a college degree.
Old 02-03-15, 12:08 PM

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Not to be an ass, but your post would have been just as accurate had you left off the "...who didn't have a college degree" clauses.
Old 02-03-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Not to be an ass, but your post would have been just as accurate had you left off the "...who didn't have a college degree" clauses.
Yes, I was well aware of that.
Old 02-03-15, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Yes, I was well aware of that.
But it might make for an interesting game, substituting random phrases.

"I have this sneaking suspicion that a large majority of liberals would not vote for a Republican who didn't have a superfluous nipple and a large majority of conservatives would not vote for a Democrat who didn't have a superfluous nipple."

"I have this sneaking suspicion that a large majority of liberals would not vote for a Republican who didn't have horns sticking out of their head and a large majority of conservatives would not vote for a Democrat who didn't horns sticking out of their head."

I could go on and on.
Old 02-03-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
But it might make for an interesting game, substituting random phrases.

"I have this sneaking suspicion that a large majority of liberals would not vote for a Republican who didn't have a superfluous nipple and a large majority of conservatives would not vote for a Democrat who didn't have a superfluous nipple."

"I have this sneaking suspicion that a large majority of liberals would not vote for a Republican who didn't have horns sticking out of their head and a large majority of conservatives would not vote for a Democrat who didn't horns sticking out of their head."

I could go on and on.
Jesus H Christ, you wouldn't vote for Moses?

Old 02-03-15, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Jesus H Christ, you wouldn't vote for Moses?
Moses always struck me as a law and order type guy, so probably not.

But I'd vote for Moses Malone.
Old 02-03-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Some of our best presidents (Jefferson, Taft, Palin) were high-school dropouts while some of the worst (Hitler, Monroe, Galactus) had Ph.D.s
Fucking Monroe...
Old 02-03-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdodd View Post
Fucking Monroe...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.