Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-04-17, 09:06 AM   #3701
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 17,866
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by covenant View Post
I don't think Action News is a credible news source...Unless there really is a 4500lb crocodile roaming the streets of Houston!
Pictures don't lie!!!



Obviously taken outside some Japanese-owned conglomerate located in Houston.
__________________
"With all due respect, the forum is unusable and people are abandoning it, largely due to creekdipper's posts and people's reactions to them."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 12:27 PM   #3702
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 19,404
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

__________________
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 07:32 AM   #3703
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 24,649
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

http://cnn.it/2eCM4tL

A Pastor talks against racism and suggests we look to such things as BLM as making an impact.

So that run him off from his church.

Make sense...

Now normally I like to read other stories on the topic to see if there is "more to the story" (as there often is). Didn't have time. So if there is something else feel free to post.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 08:25 AM   #3704
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 17,866
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
http://cnn.it/2eCM4tL

A Pastor talks against racism and suggests we look to such things as BLM as making an impact.

So that run him off from his church.

Make sense...

Now normally I like to read other stories on the topic to see if there is "more to the story" (as there often is). Didn't have time. So if there is something else feel free to post.
Don't know that there's any need to look to "other stories." There is plenty enough in the story you posted.

A few pertinent facts stood out that haven't been mentioned. This sounds like a classic case of someone whose personal activities conflicted with his professional duties as defined by the organization who hired him...as we have seen recently happening in many other venues.

*The pastor is a 24-year-old man serving at a 228-year-old church. If that doesn't send up some red flags about the potential for problems....

*The pastor had been serving at this church for only five months.

*The pastor was making an appearance on MTV. Don't know much about the theology of the United Church of Christ, but I can't imagine that MTV is high on their recommended viewing list.

*The pastor endorsed, in addition to Black Lives Matter, the recent "Women's March on Washington." Aside from the political implications, it's not hard to imagine that some conflicts over social agendas came up.

*The pastor himself refused to give many details about his resignation but mentioned that he and some members had very different visions and goals for the mission of the church. Parting ways over such differences is not that unusual...especially if a person is not vetted properly to make sure that the goals of the pastor and the church are consistent.

Those are a few points for starters.
__________________
"With all due respect, the forum is unusable and people are abandoning it, largely due to creekdipper's posts and people's reactions to them."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 08:41 AM   #3705
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,539
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Don't know that there's any need to look to "other stories."
Of course you don't.

Let's talk about not being able to overcome our biases when actual facts are right in our face.

http://www.sciencealert.com/our-bias...perceive-facts

https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/arc...lind-spot.html

Fear fueled cowards, bigots, and racists are their own worst enemies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 08:49 AM   #3706
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 24,649
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

I think those are points well made from the Churches view.

And trust me, raised a strict Catholic I understand "tradition" and "fundamental" concepts.

However the optics here are terrible for the church. I'm not saying the church didn't have a right to "part ways". I'm saying it's a "bad" look.

From a personal standpoint it's an issue I've been struggling with. Church/religion hating on others. It goes against how I was raised (even tho the Catholic Church has its own issues).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 09:27 AM   #3707
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: More drinks, more fun!
Posts: 14,451
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
PHP Code:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/gZcQkbbCw1Q 
"He's cross!"

My mother would NOT appreciate that one. Not one bit.

edit: hey maybe each forum member should pick a character (or be assigned a random character, to be fair), and we can have our own March Madness sort of deal, and see who wins?
__________________
"...you've taken a side in an ideological battle, while pretending all the way
that you're simply defending the supposedly neutral value of free speech.
Don't think we don't notice which instances of speech you choose to defend." - Contrapoints
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 09:29 AM   #3708
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 17,866
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I think those are points well made from the Churches view.

And trust me, raised a strict Catholic I understand "tradition" and "fundamental" concepts.

However the optics here are terrible for the church. I'm not saying the church didn't have a right to "part ways". I'm saying it's a "bad" look.

From a personal standpoint it's an issue I've been struggling with. Church/religion hating on others. It goes against how I was raised (even tho the Catholic Church has its own issues).
Again, I have no idea what the theology of the particular church or denomination might be.

But let's examine your statement about "bad optics." Let's say that a denomination (or individual church for those in which individual congregations are independent from outside governing oversight) has an official policy stance that abortion is immoral.

A pastor endorses an event which officially endorses abortion.

Is it "bad optics" for the church to point out that the pastor's endorsement is in direct conflict with church doctrine?

Is the pastor not responsible for upholding the tenets of the faith? Is that an unreasonable expectation? In fact, is that not exactly what would be expected in secular venues?

It depends upon what you think the mission of a church should be. If it's to fill pews by offering to be all things to all people and standing for nothing (an approach that doesn't work, btw), then it's 'bad optics' to take particular stances on anything. If it's to uphold biblical doctrine and lead people to freedom from sin, it's "bad optics" to be promoting those actions which are taught as sinful in church doctrine.
__________________
"With all due respect, the forum is unusable and people are abandoning it, largely due to creekdipper's posts and people's reactions to them."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 09:32 AM   #3709
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,818
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post

*The pastor was making an appearance on MTV. Don't know much about the theology of the United Church of Christ, but I can't imagine that MTV is high on their recommended viewing list.
Don't know much about your church, but I can't imagine that DVDTalk is high on their recommended viewing list.
__________________
Xbox One Gamertag: SirMikael79
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 09:37 AM   #3710
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 17,866
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Don't know much about your church, but I can't imagine that DVDTalk is high on their recommended viewing list.


That is an excellent point that bears repeating.

DVDTalk is, for the most part, a confined bubble in which particular views are generally held and reinforced.

Any credible poll of DVDTalk religious beliefs would show a drastically-skewed attitude toward religion compared to the general public.

I do get to share some of the views expressed here with my fellow believers. Sometimes have to convince them that I'm not making it up.
__________________
"With all due respect, the forum is unusable and people are abandoning it, largely due to creekdipper's posts and people's reactions to them."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 09:46 AM   #3711
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,539
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Screen grabbed.

I seem to recall one losing their shit at the prospect of just their posts being questioned at their own church?

So DVDTalk is just a safe bubble to spew bigoted and racist shit. Got it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 09:47 AM   #3712
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 10,001
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Screen grabbed.

I seem to recall one losing their shit at the prospect of just their posts being questioned at their own church?

So DVDTalk is just a safe bubble to spew bigoted and racist shit. Got it.
Their virtual white hood.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 10:38 AM   #3713
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 24,649
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Again, I have no idea what the theology of the particular church or denomination might be.

But let's examine your statement about "bad optics." Let's say that a denomination (or individual church for those in which individual congregations are independent from outside governing oversight) has an official policy stance that abortion is immoral.

A pastor endorses an event which officially endorses abortion.

Is it "bad optics" for the church to point out that the pastor's endorsement is in direct conflict with church doctrine?

Is the pastor not responsible for upholding the tenets of the faith? Is that an unreasonable expectation? In fact, is that not exactly what would be expected in secular venues?

It depends upon what you think the mission of a church should be. If it's to fill pews by offering to be all things to all people and standing for nothing (an approach that doesn't work, btw), then it's 'bad optics' to take particular stances on anything. If it's to uphold biblical doctrine and lead people to freedom from sin, it's "bad optics" to be promoting those actions which are taught as sinful in church doctrine.
Well you may have hit on a big part of it. IMO a church should not be promoting hate. But again, that is the problem I have with religion "right now".

Again, I'm not arguing the right of the church to fire the fire Pastor. I just find it amazing a church would do so due to a message of inclusiveness.

I'm not addressing the abortion issue. The article had nothing to do with abortion. Every situation is differrent and I'm sure every church would handle differently.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 10:39 AM   #3714
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 25,495
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
*The pastor was making an appearance on MTV. Don't know much about the theology of the United Church of Christ, but I can't imagine that MTV is high on their recommended viewing list.
I've had a few run-ins with the UCC over the years and in my experience they are extremely liberal.

Here's a chunk from their Wikipedia page:

Quote:
U.S. civil rights movement

Everett Parker of the United Church of Christ Office of Communication—at the request of the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.—organized UCC churches during 1959 against television stations in the southern United States that were imposing news blackouts of information pertaining to the then growing U.S. civil rights movement. The UCC later won a lawsuit that resulted in the federal court decision that the broadcast air waves are public, not private, property, a decision leading toward the proliferation of people of color in television studios and newsrooms.[35]

Social activism

The UCC national body has been active in numerous traditionally liberal social causes, including support for abortion rights,[36] the United Farm Workers, and the Wilmington Ten.[12] The pro-life ministry in the UCC is done by the United Church of Christ Friends for Life group.[37]

Same-sex marriage

Churches in the UCC can solemnize same-sex unions.[38] The resolution "In support of equal marriage rights for all", supported by an estimated 80 percent of delegates to the church's 2005 General Synod, made the United Church of Christ the first major Christian deliberative body in the U.S. to endorse "equal marriage rights for all people, regardless of gender," and now is the second largest Christian denominational entity in the U.S. supporting same-sex marriage (after the Presbyterian Church).
So they are progressive on civil rights, abortion rights and same-sex marriage. Seems to fit right in with the MTV crowd.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 10:51 AM   #3715
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 17,866
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Well you may have hit on a big part of it. IMO a church should not be promoting hate. But again, that is the problem I have with religion "right now".

Again, I'm not arguing the right of the church to fire the fire Pastor. I just find it amazing a church would do so due to a message of inclusiveness.

I'm not addressing the abortion issue. The article had nothing to do with abortion. Every situation is differrent and I'm sure every church would handle differently.
Actually, the article did tangentially address it when it mentioned his endorsement of the Women's March. As you well know, abortion advocacy was a major part of that march, and pro-life feminist groups who had previously been approved were later excluded from sponsorship recognition when their views were discovered.

That being said, it might still be irrelevant given Draven's post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I've had a few run-ins with the UCC over the years and in my experience they are extremely liberal.

Here's a chunk from their Wikipedia page:

So they are progressive on civil rights, abortion rights and same-sex marriage. Seems to fit right in with the MTV crowd.
Thanks for the link.

In that case, it does seem odd that there would be any disagreement with the pastor over his endorsement of liberal positions.

As the article quoted the pastor as saying, he had other differences with the church, and neither seemed to be giving out many details.

One thing that it did mention was the attention the church was getting, which apparently was held to be a negative by many in the church.

At a bare minimum, it certainly appears that he and the church weren't a good fit given how quickly their relationship deteriorated. Five months is barely long enough to get your bags unpacked and get settled, much less make an appearance on MTV.
__________________
"With all due respect, the forum is unusable and people are abandoning it, largely due to creekdipper's posts and people's reactions to them."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 11:52 AM   #3716
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,178
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

And now some humor :








__________________
The triumph of evil requires a lot of good people, doing a bit of it [evil], in a morally disengaged way, with indifference to the human suffering they cause.

- Albert Bandura
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 07:06 PM   #3717
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 54,153
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Kirk Cameron: The Hurricanes Were Sent by God to Make Us More Humble
Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...OyQIVghRSFv.99


Quote:
Actor and Creationist Kirk Cameron took time out of his busy (?) schedule to talk about Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. In video taken this morning at an airport in Orlando (Florida), Cameron explained how the natural disasters were obviously signs from God.

Climate change, of course, didnít factor into the discussion

Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...OyQIVghRSFv.99
__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 07:09 PM   #3718
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,839
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

God must have a tiny penis. Only something with a tiny penis would create something else and demand it worship him or be punished.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 07:47 PM   #3719
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 38,100
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Kirk Cameron: The Hurricanes Were Sent by God to Make Us More Humble
That's also why God sent Kirk Cameron his acting career.
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 08:19 PM   #3720
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 54,153
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's also why God sent Kirk Cameron his acting career.
In the video he says he is leaving Florida. I was thinking that if God sent the storm and he's already "humble"...why is he leaving?
__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 08:24 PM   #3721
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 27,115
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's also why God sent Kirk Cameron his acting career.
What acting career?

Has he done anything in the last twenty years that wasn't the kind of dreck they show in church basements on VHS?
__________________
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 09:22 PM   #3722
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 38,100
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
What acting career?

Has he done anything in the last twenty years that wasn't the kind of dreck they show in church basements on VHS?
You can't be humble if your movies play in mainstream theaters!
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 11:55 PM   #3723
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 17,866
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Bulk of immediate relief aid, particularly manpower, to victims of recent hurricanes comes from Christians.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...icane-victims/
__________________
"With all due respect, the forum is unusable and people are abandoning it, largely due to creekdipper's posts and people's reactions to them."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 08:50 AM   #3724
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 31,632
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

With regard to the hurricane relief effort, I gave to a Christian (Episcopalian) organization with a good track record of using almost all donated funds to actually help people in need. So not all of the help coming from Christian organizations was funded by Christians.
__________________
"...Bando...you are perfect and awesome." - 4KRG
"Bando 4 Prez" - DVD Polizei
"[Bando is] nowhere near as big a weasel as Ted Cruz" - dork
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 09:02 AM   #3725
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 17,866
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
With regard to the hurricane relief effort, I gave to a Christian (Episcopalian) organization with a good track record of using almost all donated funds to actually help people in need. So not all of the help coming from Christian organizations was funded by Christians.
Acknowledging the , also note that the tax dollars of Christians are used to support programs attributed to "the government."

And Christians quite frequently donate to "secular" charities, research efforts, and organizations not associated with religion.

The point is that, contrary to the assumptions (or willful distortions) of some, Christian-based organizations are extremely active in providing health services, shelter, food, disaster relief, etc. throughout the world. I'm sure that they welcome the support of any concerned person regardless of his/her beliefs.
__________________
"With all due respect, the forum is unusable and people are abandoning it, largely due to creekdipper's posts and people's reactions to them."

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-19-17 at 09:10 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0