Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Old 06-16-16, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Faith comes by hearing human interaction but it's not a matter of human persuasion.
Like bad sci-fi, it only works if one is committed to ignoring the glaring plot holes.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 06-16-16 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 03:40 PM
Banned

Fear.
Old 06-16-16, 04:56 PM
Banned

Tulip.
Old 06-16-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I left a bouquet of roses on my girlfriend's piano, and she put her tulips on my organ.
Old 06-16-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can tuna fish, but it space no one can hear you scream.
Old 06-17-16, 08:32 AM
Banned

"It space"?

That sounds downright fishist.
Old 06-17-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Mallet, from your religious background, I'm sure that you are familiar with Deuteronomy 6:13-15:

13“You shall fear only the LORD your God; and you shall worship Him and swear by His name. 14You shall not follow other gods, any of the gods of the peoples who surround you, 15for the LORD your God in the midst of you is a jealous God; otherwise the anger of the LORD your God will be kindled against you, and He will wipe you off the face of the earth."

What is the chief purpose of man?

To glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

God should be worshiped because God deserves all honor & glory. God is only demanding His rightful due.
And who wrote that silliness above? A god didn't write it. Ancient man wrote it.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I left a bouquet of roses on my girlfriend's piano, and she put her tulips on my organ.
Old 06-17-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
And who wrote that silliness above? A god didn't write it. Ancient man wrote it.
How dare you question that?
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish the conversation I was having with my talking donkey.

Last edited by inri222; 06-17-16 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-17-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-20-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thou shalt not plagiarize

Christian Movie Studio Stole Plot of God’s Not Dead, Lawsuit Alleges

http://www.mediaite.com/online/chris...wsuit-alleges/
Old 06-20-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another phony Christian

Christian charity head admits using donations for sex habit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/...sex-habit.html
Old 06-20-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're absolutely right, Mallet, which is why millions of reluctant atheists are rounded up & taken to churches and chained to pews each Sunday (or Saturday) in the U.S.
There is certainly a constant push to use Christianity as the basis for rules that non-Christians have to follow. I WISH you'd just stay in your church.
Old 06-21-16, 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
There is certainly a constant push to use Christianity as the basis for rules that non-Christians have to follow. I WISH you'd just stay in your church.
Do you apply that same sentiment toward yourself when you use your own reasoning as the basis for rules that everyone else has to follow?

In other words, do you think that everyone should just "stay in their houses" and keep their ideas to themselves?

That seems to be a recipe for chaos.
Old 06-21-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you apply that same sentiment toward yourself when you use your own reasoning as the basis for rules that everyone else has to follow?

In other words, do you think that everyone should just "stay in their houses" and keep their ideas to themselves?

That seems to be a recipe for chaos.
I think this is a common foible shared by both religious and non-religious people alike:

"Other people believe in these crazy religions and worldviews that they're trying to force on people, whereas I only believe in reality, truth and common sense."
Old 06-21-16, 11:15 AM
Banned

The late Dr. Greg Bahnsen (author of such books as "By This Standard") would point out that the question is not whether we will be ruled by a set of standards but rather a question of whose standards will be imposed.

For those who enjoy a good debate (and reading), here is the transcript of a debate between Dr. Bahnsen & atheist Dr. Gordon Stein on the question "Does God Exist?" held in 1985 at University of California-Irvine. Fascinating stuff.

If the opening statements & lengthy rebuttals are too taxing, just reading the cross-examinations (which sound exactly like a courtroom back-and-forth) written in Q&A format make for compelling reading.

http://andynaselli.com/wp-content/up...Transcript.pdf

The transcript is 42 pages long (but the conversational part goes fast). Here's a tiny teaser from an opening statement of one section:

You've heard Dr. Stein refer to the transcendental argument and try to dismiss it simply as wishful thinking. If our debate is going to degenerate to that level, then I dismiss everything he's been saying as wishful thinking and delusion, and why don't we all go home. But I know we're here to argue. We're here to argue a point, and I'm going to stay with the argument that has been proposed and see if Dr. Stein has any better answer than just to engage in name calling.

Dr. Stein proposes an atheist world view. I propose a Christian theistic world view. There are other proposals out there that may want their evening to debate as well. I'm maintaining that the proof of the Christian world view is that the denial of it leads to irrationality. That is, without the Christian God, you cannot prove anything. As one illustration of that, although I want to get into more than that in the second speech, I have referred to the laws of logic. An atheist universe cannot account for the laws of logic. Dr. Stein, in his responding to that, spoke more about scientific law than he did about the laws of logic, and I'm going to come back to that in my rebuttal to ask about his understanding of scientific law. However, we still hear him saying that laws of logic are a matter of consensus and are just this way. That is to say, "I don't have to prove that the laws of logic exist or that they are justified. It's just this way."

Now friends, how would you like it if I would have conducted the debate in that fashion this evening? God exists because it's just that way. You just can't avoid it. You see, that's not debate, that's not argument, and it's not rational. And therefore, we have, interestingly, an illustration in our very debate tonight that atheists cannot sustain a rational approach to this question.

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-21-16 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-24-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Was Brexit was part of Biblical prophecy?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-27-16 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-24-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Was Britex was part of Biblical prophecy?
What's wrong with you, of course it is. There's even biblical prophecy on the rise of Donald Trump and when Jerry Lewis' The Day the Clown Cried will be released to the general public.

Last edited by inri222; 06-24-16 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-24-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
What's wrong with you, of course it is. There's even biblical prophecy on the rise of Donald Trump and when Jerry Lewis' The Day the Clown Cried will be released to the general public.
Oh, is there another "Bible Code" book coming out?

BIBLE CODE XII: ALL OF THE STUFF THAT HAPPENED SINCE THE LAST BOOK CAME OUT THAT WE ONLY FOUND CODED INTO THE BIBLE AFTER IT HAPPENED
Old 06-24-16, 10:55 PM
Banned

The real poser is whether <b>Britex</b> is a new laundry detergent.
Old 06-27-16, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gets tough Brit stains out of the EU.
Old 06-27-16, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Gets tough Brit stains out of the EU.

Old 06-29-16, 01:24 PM
Banned

Interesting discussion of atheist goals based upon an examination of Reason Rally (from an atheist perspective):

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/29/12051872/reason-rally

Title: American atheists are on the rise. They have radically different visions of the future.
Reason Rally 2016 believes science can cure the social ills of religion. But it isn't sure what a "healthy" society will look like.
Old 07-05-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More proof that Jesus existed.

‘Duck Dynasty’ star Phil Robertson offers his best proof of the existence of Jesus

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2698636
Old 07-05-16, 08:48 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I just checked, and Robertson is right - my calendar say "Christmas" right there on Dec 25. Proof!
Old 07-05-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It’s hard to steal the spotlight at an event that features Donald Trump and Sarah Palin — but “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson may have just managed.
There's your current state of extreme right wing politics.

“When you allow men to determine what’s right and what’s wrong, you get decisions like the five judges who said, ‘I may not know we have 7,000 years of history of men marrying women. A male and a female.
I doubt that guy could come even close to articulating how those judges represent the people, because he clearly doesn't get it. I also doubt the judges are the ones that could use a refresher on history. Same goes for the majority in the audience that day cheering on clowns like Trump, Palin, and Bigot Phil.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.