Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Old 09-23-16, 08:03 PM
Banned

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
creekdipper?
Old 09-23-16, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I think that INTENT is what makes these things wrong. Black face is supposed to make fun of black people, and belittle them. This costume is not.
Not all minstrel performers wore blackface.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xohh56_the-history-of-vaudeville_fun
Old 09-24-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting. It's nothing that would convince me there is anything wrong with that halloween costume, though. Go to any halloween costume shop, and probably 1/2 the costumes there would offend someone. Hell, witch costumes are probably offensive to people whose ancestors were killed in the salem witch trials. Burning women at the stake is serious business, and not to be made fun of!
Old 09-24-16, 04:25 PM
Banned

These videos give me real hope. Young conservatives need to confront the arrogance and lies of the left. Stand up for your point of view and confront them and don't be bullied into retreat. I want to reach out and embrace this young man. Bravo.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-24-16 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by AaronSch View Post
These videos give me real hope. Young conservatives need to confront the arrogance and lies of the left. Stand up for your point of view and confront them and don't be bullied into retreat. I want to reach out and embrace this young man. Bravo.

16-Year-Old Black Trump Supporter Schools Black Lives Matter Moron in Epic Debate
"His wife is not legal!!!!! She is from Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 09-24-16, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this is an example of what's wrong in the United States. Aligning yourself with a political party at 16 years of age before you've had an real experience in the world seems to stifle critical thought. You end up becoming more entrenched with a particular side and you close yourself off from entertaining other viewpoints.

"Young conservatives need to confront the arrogance and lies of the left."

Maybe this is a sarcasm post, I don't know. If not, arrogance and lies exists on the left and the right of the political spectrum. Basically, whosever in power at the moment, has more influence over society, and can get away with more.

Republicans controlled the White House and Congress from 2000-2008 and criticizing the invasion of Iraq was considered unpatriotic.

Democrats controlled the White House and Congress from 2008-to the present, and criticizing government spending and excessive taxes was considered unpatriotic.

That said, what conservatives were challenging the arrogance and lies of the Bush administration in 2002/2003?

Last edited by brayzie; 09-24-16 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
"His wife is not legal!!!!! She is from Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
LOL...he was quite the intellect!
Old 09-24-16, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I think this is an example of what's wrong in the United States. Aligning yourself with a political party at 16 years of age before you've had an real experience in the world seems to stifle critical thought. You end up becoming more entrenched with a particular side and you close yourself off from entertaining other viewpoints....
...or you may be a well informed respectful young man who is far more informed than some arrogant middle aged liberal woman who attempts to ridicule you for having an opinion she doesn't think you should hold. But the leftist professors I was subjected to during my years studying at Arizona State University never shied away from impressing their leftist beliefs on me. They knew and I knew that if you dared to voice opposition to their point-of-view grades could and probably would suffer. Personally, I believe teachers should be barred from indoctrinating young minds full of mush whether liberal or conservative. And if they stray from the subject matter they were hired to teach they should lose tenure and be fired immediately.

I've been a conservative since I was 20 years of age. My first vote was for Ronald Reagan and my next vote will be for Donald Trump.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-24-16 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you're seeing what you want to see. I think everyone in that video was embarrassing. I see emotional people, neither of which have an intuitive grasp on their viewpoint, yelling talking points at each other. And that intuitive grasp (which I don't posses) should be the baseline for people to debate positions. It was much like watching actors try to interject their politics in a press junket.

Another problem is calling that an "Epic Debate" and giving credibility to that kind of behavior. The people who accept that as an "epic" or "quality" debate who are lowering the standard. That was nothing more than I'd expect from people arguing on Springer or Maury. Except it's about politics, instead of affairs or baby-daddies.
Old 09-24-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...or you are a well informed respectful young man who is far more informed than some arrogant middle aged liberal woman who attempts to ridicule you for having an opinion she doesn't agree with.
The informed young man who claims to be Pro-Life but says abortion should be "banned at 10-weeks," because "before 10 weeks it's not necessarily a baby."
Old 09-24-16, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Another problem is calling that an "Epic Debate" and giving credibility to that kind of behavior. The people who accept that as an "epic" or "quality" debate who are lowering the standard.

Calling it an "Epic Debate" is lunacy.
Old 09-24-16, 05:25 PM
Banned

The informed young man who claims to be Pro-Life but says abortion should be "banned at 10-weeks," because "before 10 weeks it's not necessarily a baby."
Don't be cute. This isn't a discussion of abortion. He was far more informed than that moron who was debating him. I'll let the viewers decide.
Old 09-24-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't be cute. This isn't a discussion of abortion. He was far more informed than that moron who was debating him. I'll let the viewers decide.
When you set the bar that low, of course he looks well-informed compared to the guy he's arguing with.

High standards, it seems, are not the goal here.
Old 09-24-16, 05:36 PM
Banned

I think you're seeing what you want to see. I think everyone in that video was embarrassing. I see emotional people, neither of which have an intuitive grasp on their viewpoint, yelling talking points at each other. And that intuitive grasp (which I don't posses) should be the baseline for people to debate positions. It was much like watching actors try to interject their politics in a press junket...
My, how patronizing! I disagree with your assessment.

When you set the bar that low, of course he looks well-informed compared to the guy he's arguing with.

High standards, it seems, are not the goal here.
Very hard to find standards in the current climate.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-24-16 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 05:45 PM
Banned

Old 09-24-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aaron, I would advise you to scale it back, bruh. You're treading some delicate territory here. I'm no mod, but you're laying it on pretty strong. Stop being reactionary with those bullshit posts.
Old 09-24-16, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Aaron, I would advise you to scale it back, bruh. You're treading some delicate territory here. I'm no mod, but you're laying it on pretty strong. Stop being reactionary with those bullshit posts.

Delicate territory....reactionary? bullshit posts? Such as what, exactly? I have been quite careful in my responses. This is where we discuss religion, politics and world events, bruh. I've posted nothing offensive and quite restrained in my responses.

The title of tis thread is "We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues...." Well, I'm no coward.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-24-16 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay. I'll revise my statement. Everyone sees what they want to see. It's, you know, the way the world works. Religion, politics, whatever. It all works much better when all points are considered.

Here's something about throwing back-and-forth "talking points" instead of that meaningful, well-informed, "intuitive" discussion (which I love to hear, but can't produce). Talking points are now a part of education. I recalling being in high school English class. It was a project, to write a paper on these talking points. You go to the library, and there are relatively vague books about each one of these talking points (abortion, drugs, etc). And, of course, it's amplified in college. What they do, is open kids up to these feelings about political issues. Developing that intuitive opinion about a single issue can take a lifetime. And I don't know if that's a good thing. It leads to people, like in that video, getting emotional and screaming at each other.

I have a Sudanese friend, who told me something that I've never heard before. And I think about it so much. He said that, during bad times in Sudan (early 90's), people become more and more politically divided over talking points. Just like the USA is doing right now. Leading up to the problems they had in the early 90's, he said that everyone became glued to listening to BBC News radio. If you're out farming, you'd have a portable radio up to your ear. You'd hear what's happening, and get upset, and takes sides. That was 20 years ago. Now they're two nations, and now they can't agree on that.

So if we really are going to mislead, misinform, and disenfranchise the 50% who don't think like us, it's not crazy to think we'll be in the same position. I want Clinton to win, so I'll vote. But I'm not going to spike the ball and do a dance after she wins. You know?

It's back to the post I made 50 pages ago. I don't like to discuss race. We're all going to be yellow eventually. Why be tribal about it? Can't we all just ... get along?
Old 09-24-16, 07:16 PM
Banned

Okay. I'll revise my statement. Everyone sees what they want to see. It's, you know, the way the world works. Religion, politics, whatever. It all works much better when all points are considered.

Here's something about throwing back-and-forth "talking points" instead of that meaningful, well-informed, "intuitive" discussion (which I love to hear, but can't produce). Talking points are now a part of education. I recalling being in high school English class. It was a project, to write a paper on these talking points. You go to the library, and there are relatively vague books about each one of these talking points (abortion, drugs, etc). And, of course, it's amplified in college. What they do, is open kids up to these feelings about political issues. Developing that intuitive opinion about a single issue can take a lifetime. And I don't know if that's a good thing. It leads to people, like in that video, getting emotional and screaming at each other.

I have a Sudanese friend, who told me something that I've never heard before. And I think about it so much. He said that, during bad times in Sudan (early 90's), people become more and more politically divided over talking points. Just like the USA is doing right now. Leading up to the problems they had in the early 90's, he said that everyone became glued to listening to BBC News radio. If you're out farming, you'd have a portable radio up to your ear. You'd hear what's happening, and get upset, and takes sides. That was 20 years ago. Now they're two nations, and now they can't agree on that.

So if we really are going to mislead, misinform, and disenfranchise the 50% who don't think like us, it's not crazy to think we'll be in the same position. I want Clinton to win, so I'll vote. But I'm not going to spike the ball and do a dance after she wins. You know?

It's back to the post I made 50 pages ago. I don't like to discuss race. We're all going to be yellow eventually. Why be tribal about it? Can't we all just ... get along?
I can't speak for others, but I "shop" both sides to form an educated opinion. There are books, magazines, political subscriptions, television programs, Youtube channels and blogs that offer a plethora of varying points-of-view and information. I am a voracious reader and when I engage in a political discussion, I strive to do it from an informed position—and sometimes, not often, those positions have changed. So my opinions are not formed by the 5' o'clock propaganda machine from which many Americans get their information. I'm immune from "talking points" because I don't trust the people delivering the message.

And when it comes to madam secretary Hillary Clinton, I believe putting her back in the white house with her disreputable husband would be a travesty for the country. In my opinion, they both have circumvented the law and are far more guilty of both illegal and inappropriate activity than any president in my lifetime—and that includes Richard Nixon. Donald Trump was not my first choice, but I find the Clintons so repugnant that I am going to enthusiastically cast my vote for him—and I will certainly spike the ball, do a dance, and make some noise if he is successful. I simply believe his election is critical to reverse much of what has been implemented in the last 8 years and to help steer the supreme court back to the center-right.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-24-16 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 07:30 PM

Well, I'm no coward.

But are you smart? Or are you like those dudes who get physically aggressive with the police yelling "Bitch, you can't do this to me, I'll end you!!" and end up in the hospital/morgue?

I'd advise you to take down that "worst of BLM" post.
Do you REALLY want a "worst of Trump supporters" retaliatory post?
Old 09-24-16, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Donald Trump was not my first choice, but I find the Clintons so repugnant that I am going to enthusiastically cast my vote for him—and I will certainly spike the ball, do a dance, and make some noise if he is successful. I simply believe his election is critical to reverse much of what has been implemented in the last 8 years and to help steer the supreme court back to the center-right.
Wow. The irony is that you're Jewish, part Latino, and gay. The cherry on top would be if you were also against gay marriage or equal rights for gay folks. What are Trump's views on that? Maybe he'll invite you up on stage to speak on behalf of homosexuals. #dontholdyourbreath

You're a seriously angry dude.

What would he be reversing in the last 8 years? That my retirement plan doubled and tripled? Where were you when GWB tanked the country and got us into a war and into one of the worst recessions of our life times? Don't deflect with some bullshit about "well, what about those others?"
Old 09-24-16, 08:37 PM

What would he be reversing in the last 8 years? That my retirement plan doubled and tripled? Where were you when GWB tanked the country and got us into a war and into one of the worst recessions of our life times? Don't deflect with some bullshit about "well, what about those others?"
GWB didn't cause the recession. He just happened to be president when it occurred. The wheels were set in motion long before, by Alan Greenspan, who conjectured that the asset inflation bubble could be ignored. Of course, the war made it worse.

We are in another bubble right now. I'd encourage you to look at the evolution of the balance sheet of the Federal Reserve, and how they have printed trillions of dollars and injected into the money supply. The Federal Reserve puts up their balance sheet monthly on its website.
Old 09-24-16, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

GWB didn't cause the recession. He just happened to be president when it occurred. The wheels were set in motion long before, by Alan Greenspan, who conjectured that the asset inflation bubble could be ignored. Of course, the war made it worse.

We are in another bubble right now. I'd encourage you to look at the evolution of the balance sheet of the Federal Reserve, and how they have printed trillions of dollars and injected into the money supply. The Federal Reserve puts up their balance sheet monthly on its website.

You sure? I thought Obama was the cause of it. He seems to be the cause of everything for the past 8 years. Let's put the "white" back in the White House.
Old 09-24-16, 08:53 PM

You sure? I thought Obama was the cause of it. He seems to be the cause of everything for the past 8 years. Let's put the "white" back in the White House.
Look at the goddamn balance sheet.

FYI till 2014, the chairman was Ben Bernanke. Appointed by GWB.
Old 09-25-16, 02:00 AM
Banned

You're a seriously angry dude...
Yes, I am and so are millions of other Americans. We're tired of seeing what is happening to our country. Anger is a very good motivating force and the silent majority is finally waking up—they needed to get damn angry. You can't be out protesting when you are working to provide for your families and paying your taxes—that is until you get out on November 8th. Cut off the EBT cards and cash disbursements and make people do community service for their government handouts and they would learn the value of a hard days work and earning a living. If you don't work, you don't eat—that would be my edict. And yes, Barack Obama is responsible for what is occurring. He has a responsibility as President to address the lies and distortions and bring about domestic tranquility. But that is not his agenda. Read "Rules for Radicals" by Saul Alinsky. Both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are devotees of his teachings.

I'd advise you to take down that "worst of BLM" post.
Do you REALLY want a "worst of Trump supporters" retaliatory post?
Sure, why not. Or should I be afraid that a few bad apples or "plants" at Trump rallies should be a reflection of all Trump supporters? I've been to a few and they are not what the media have tried to portray—not by any reasonable measure. Most of the trouble comes from paid protestors. The same groups that are bussed in to create havoc in cities like Charlotte, Milwaukee and Ferguson. Where's the investigative journalism? Look to organizations funded by the likes of George Soros. Those of us who have attended Trump rallies are absolutely angered by how the media has conducted itself during this election cycle. Conservatives are quite used to these tactics from the left. It's out of the playbook of Nazi/national socialist Joseph Goebbels'—"The Big Lie." You could also study "Rules for Radicals," written by the rabid socialist Saul Alinsky as both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are devotees. You might do some background checking of America's current chief executive because much of the mainstream media shamelessly ignored Obama's radical relationships with Frank Marshall Davis, as well as Bill Ayers, Bernadine Dohm and the Weather Underground. But the media made sure everyone became aware that a random moron like klansman David Duke endorsed Trump—and there's not even a remote association. But do they report that the Democrat party was the birthplace of the KKK and Hillary was a close friend of KKK leader and former Democrat U.S, Senator Robert C. Byrd? He was a recruiter for the Klan while in his 20s and 30s, rising to the title of Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops of his local chapter. Did they report that Al Gore's family also had ties to the KKK? Do they report that Republicans were early targets of the KKK? Of course they don't. The media shields democrats from their historic racist practices and the education system has been so corrupted that most young people are clueless about history. I would also advise those who are intellectually curious to do a bit of checking when it comes to the familiar faces in US journalism and the political class. It is a frighteningly incestuous relationship.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-25-16 at 03:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.