Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-14-18, 01:30 AM   #7726
DVD Talk Legend

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Decades ago, before the internet, Consumer Reports said that all shampoos worked basically the same. They did give a slight preference to Pert Plus over all the others, saying that it lathered up a bit quicker, but also that this did not actually affect its cleaning ability.
Old 02-14-18, 01:45 AM   #7727
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Jesus, you come across as the kind of person who complains that the bull in Guernica looks weird and obviously that Pablo guy can't paint. Kehinde Wiley and Amy Sherald are both acclaimed, award-winning artists. There's a reason for that. If you don't like their work, that's your prerogative -- de gustibus non est disputandum -- but your art criticism is juvenile, facile, and ignorant.
I have looked at many of Wiley's paintings now and I actually like many, even the overwhelming majority of them. See this page of Google Images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kehi...w=1152&bih=542

Many of them are works of beauty, style, grace and dignity. The ones I don't like are those that have the backgrounds overwhelming the people. They are just way to "busy" for me. While I am no art critic (that is abundantly clear, to quote myself from Post #7643), that is my opinion and that is my taste. I think Obama's portrait is in that category and I think it is one of Wiley's worst. That is unfortunate, in my opinion, because that is the one he will be remembered for.

And by the way, I have long admired and liked "Guernica" very much. There is probably not any other painting that depicts a horrible tragedy of war any better.

I apologize for my prior flippancy.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 02-14-18, 02:46 AM   #7728
Banned

I found your critique of the Wiley portrait to be right on the mark. The background doesn't complement the foreground figure, which seems strangely devoid of life. It's just awkward...more like a magazine illustration than an official portrait. In contrast, many of the artist's other works are full of character and energy. Unless the background is supposed to represent a fresh approach or change in the status quo, it just seems like late '60's pop art.

Great artists can also produce mediocre works or even duds. I wouldn't call this portrait the latter, but it doesn't seem sublime, either.
Old 02-14-18, 03:16 AM   #7729
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
I found your critique of the Wiley portrait to be right on the mark. The background doesn't complement the foreground figure, which seems strangely devoid of life. It's just awkward...more like a magazine illustration than an official portrait. In contrast, many of the artist's other works are full of character and energy. Unless the background is supposed to represent a fresh approach or change in the status quo, it just seems like late '60's pop art.

Great artists can also produce mediocre works or even duds. I wouldn't call this portrait the latter, but it doesn't seem sublime, either.
I think your critique is spot on and you have expressed my impression of the Obama painting and Wiley's other works better than I did.

Just as a couple of examples, the character captured here:

or here:

is entirely missing in the Obama portrait. There are many other stunning examples.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 02-14-18, 06:54 AM   #7730
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
No, the point is that white people need to understand what white privilege is instead of getting defensive for being called out.

And considering how delicate they seem to be when it comes to being "berated", I don't have a lot of sympathy. Minorities deal with 10x the nonsense on a daily basis.

Now you're getting it! Because Sally would be WORSE off if she weren't white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
So you're going to generalize an entire race in order to discuss and counter racism?
I was born white and fully aware that by circumstances of my birth I was given a foot in the door. It's not a guarantee, but it exists. It would not be honest to deny it. Those who deny it should be called out.
Neither should white people be called out for having this privilege. We didn't create it. We were just born.

This is the best analogy I can think of. Our culture/society puts value on beauty and good looks. Because of this the very good looking are born with advantage, or privilege, that average looking people don't have. It's no guarantee, but can open doors that are closed to the rest of you.
Old 02-14-18, 07:06 AM   #7731
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I’ve got white privilege and let me tell you it is sweet. If you have the means I would highly recommend you picking some up. If you don’t have any I can completely identify with why you’d want some. If you’d like me to give you any of mine, think again. And if you somehow stumble upon some, I can guarantee you that you wouldn’t know what to do with it.
You just need to do this homework assignment: Draw yourself as a slave

Old 02-14-18, 07:12 AM   #7732
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
I have looked at many of Wiley's paintings now and I actually like many, even the overwhelming majority of them. See this page of Google Images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kehi...w=1152&bih=542

Many of them are works of beauty, style, grace and dignity. The ones I don't like are those that have the backgrounds overwhelming the people. They are just way to "busy" for me. While I am no art critic (that is abundantly clear, to quote myself from Post #7643), that is my opinion and that is my taste. I think Obama's portrait is in that category and I think it is one of Wiley's worst. That is unfortunate, in my opinion, because that is the one he will be remembered for.

And by the way, I have long admired and liked "Guernica" very much. There is probably not any other painting that depicts a horrible tragedy of war any better.

I apologize for my prior flippancy.
S'all good.

If you're interested, here's an article with the artist explaining why he chose the background he did:

http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/12/wi...amas-portrait/
Old 02-14-18, 08:42 AM   #7733
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
S'all good.

If you're interested, here's an article with the artist explaining why he chose the background he did:

http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/12/wi...amas-portrait/
I had heard the explanation behind the background before reading the DC article. I have no problem or dispute with it. I simply do not like the painting for the reasons already given. As I know you're aware, I have little love for Obama's policies (aside from those that are socially liberal, some of which he was embarrassingly late to adopt) and I think his presidency overall was very harmful to the country. But he was our president and this is his official portrait in the National Portrait Gallery and he deserves better. And Wiley has consistently done much better, both in composition and the portraying of his subjects. In my opinion.

Since the DC article brings up the beheading paintings (which I already knew about), I think people should read this Snopes article:

https://www.snopes.com/kehinde-wiley...-severed-head/

I think people should know the context and have all the facts about these two paintings and decide for themselves what they think of them.

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 02-14-18 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 09:10 AM   #7734
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I did a quick google image search for the title, and there's countless variations of that same "Judith beheading Holofernes" image. One is even available on a t-shirt.

Probably NSFW:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Judi...d1A3EQ_AUICigB

One thing you'll notice about the two Wiley did is that the women's head and arms are in the same position in both paintings, suggesting (to me, at least) that it's an homage to a specific thing, which would appear to be the case, given the that both paintings were given the same title as the work they're referencing.

edit: As for the Obama portrait specifically... I think it needs to be seen in person. Looking at most pictures, the green looks incredibly washed out, giving the whole thing a dull look. I have seen a handful of pictures where all of the colour "pops" a bit more, and it actually looks... not terrible. But I can't (personally) judge it until I see it in person. Much like Dali's Santiago El Grande (one of my wife's favourite paintings), I think it's possible to get a different feeling from it in person. We have a print of that one and it's... okay. But we got to see the real one in person a few years back, and it was then that I could see how much more colourful the whole thing is.
So my first thought on the Obama one is... it's not very good. It's divisive in the way it strays from expectations, yes, but it's also too... busy. But again, I reserve all final judgments until/unless I ever get to see it in person. But I'm not going to give anyone a hard time for liking it, or even loving it.

Last edited by Dan; 02-14-18 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 10:04 AM   #7735
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
I was born white and fully aware that by circumstances of my birth I was given a foot in the door. It's not a guarantee, but it exists. It would not be honest to deny it. Those who deny it should be called out..
Old 02-14-18, 10:44 AM   #7736
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Quote:
White people in North America live in a social environment that protects and insulates them from race-based stress. This insulated environment of racial protection builds white expectations for racial comfort while at the same time lowering the ability to tolerate racial stress, leading to what I refer to as White Fragility. White Fragility is a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium. This paper explicates the dynamics of White Fragility.
This part is interesting:

Quote:
triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation.
White fragility didn't use to trigger that kind of behavior. It used to trigger violence, lynching, Jim Crow Laws, false accusations that railroaded you into jail, etc. Now all that happens is arguing, silence, and retreat.

I'm gonna call this one a win for minorities. You're welcome.

Last edited by Mabuse; 02-14-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 10:53 AM   #7737
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13133634-post3663.html

To remind everyone, the Nazi who drove into Heather Heyer and killed her is James Fields.

There is now a new claim being made by unreliable sources on the political right. I hope the Washington Post will investigate this to find out if it's bogus (and thus, the right is lying) or it's true (which means that the bias of the mainstream media has prevented it from doing its job properly).

Anyway, the claim being made by the right is that an Antifa guy named Dwayne Dixon was holding a rifle and chasing Fields immediately before Fields drove into Heyer and killed her.

If this is true, then there is at least some possibility that Dixon could be at least partially responsible for Heyer's death.

Unreliable sources:

Spoiler:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018...-deadly-crash/

Armed Antifa PROFESSOR Admits to Chasing Charlottesville Driver With Rifle BEFORE DEADLY CRASH!

January 16, 2018

Dwayne Dixon, a University of North Carolina anthropology professor and leader of the armed Antifa group Redneck Revolt, has admitted to chasing James Alex Fields Jr. with a rifle just before he drove into a group of protesters — killing Heather Heyer.

Dwayne Dixon via ABC News

This new revelation adds some insight into what was happening in the moments leading up to the fatal incident.

In a Facebook post by Dixon on January 7, obtained by the Gateway Pundit, he wrote:

“I take perverse pleasure in having carried this Spike’s lower in the defense of Justice Park on August 12th. I used this rifle to chase off James Fields from our block of 4th St before he attacked the marchers to the south. Spike’s needs a good lesson in ethics and antifascism.”

Dixon’s Facebook page now appears to have now been scrubbed or set to private.

The “Spikes” Dixon was referring to appears to be Spike’s Tactical, who had upset militant leftists earlier in the day with a Facebook ad that read “not today Antifa.”

Following a day of violence over a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville on August 12, dubbed ‘Unite the Right’, Fields, 20, drove his vehicle into a group of protesters — killing 32-year-old Heyer and injuring 35 other people. He is now charged with first-degree murder.

James Alex Fields Jr.

Though this was quickly branded an act of terrorism by the media, according to police reports after the accident, Fields had expressed shock and remorse asking, “Are they okay?” This concern lead many to question if it had been an accident.

Dixon’s militant leftist group, Redneck Revolt, has approximately 40 chapters nationwide.

According to a report from the Herald Sun, Dixon was charged with two misdemeanors after be brought a semi-automatic rifle to downtown Durham over rumors of a “white supremacist rally” that never happened.

A few months before the clash in Charlottesville, an Arizona chapter of the organization, which was previously known as the “John Brown Gun Club,” released an unintentionally comical video showcasing their “training day.” In the footage, the oddballs are seen shooting at printouts of memes, including Pepe the Frog.

In an interview with ABC News, Dixon described the hours after Charlottesville as feeling like “leaving a battlefield.”

“They’re not just speaking – they’re marching. They’re marching in a way that’s intimidating, as we all know is harking back to the torch light rallies of the Nazi era.”

Despite calls for the university to fire Dixon, he remains employed.

“When the left uses violence, in the rare cases that it happens, it’s resistance,” Dixon said.

Here is a reliable, mainstream source which shows that Dixon owns an AK-47 assault rifle, but does not connect him to Fields or Heyer:

Spoiler:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-1...o-arms/9303758

Antifa: The hard left's call to arms

Donald Trump's inauguration as US president a year ago reinvigorated many right-wing groups, including white supremacists. Now the militant left is fighting back with some shock tactics of its own.

January 15, 2018

Photo: The Silver Valley chapter of Redneck Revolt in North Carolina is one of more than 30 nation-wide.

As the sun sets over rural North Carolina, Dwayne Dixon peers through black-rimmed glasses down the barrel of an AK-47.

Abandoned cars and rusted-out trailers dot the overgrown property; cows graze in a nearby paddock under the gathering shadow of pine-clad hills.

Softly-spoken and slight of build, Mr Dixon is a vegan who spends his days lecturing in anthropology at a local university.

Today he's preparing for the moment he may raise a deadly weapon on the streets of a US city.

"Guns are a tool," he says between bursts of crackling gunfire.

"You'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Half a dozen of his friends watch on.

Nearby on the grass lies a small arsenal of assault rifles, handguns and body armour.

Across the range, a paper target with the shape of a human torso printed in black ink is stapled to a makeshift wooden frame. An X marks the bullseye.

His finger settles on the trigger. Shots ring out across the valley.

Photo: Dwayne Dixon, a member Redneck Revolt, says he's not "willing to abdicate" the responsibility for his security to the state.

Mr Dixon, 45, is a member of the far-left group Redneck Revolt, whose chapters have multiplied in the past year from just a handful to over 30 across the United States, they claim.

Their ranks are swelling in response to a resurgence of white supremacist groups, in part emboldened by President Donald Trump's election victory.

Redneck Revolt is part of the rapidly-growing "Antifa" movement — short for anti-fascists.

Many are wary about showing their faces in public or talking to the media, for fear of a backlash from the police, the far right and even their own families.

After lengthy persuasion, the Silver Valley chapter of Redneck Revolt in North Carolina allowed Foreign Correspondent rare access to their world of guns, resistance and camaraderie.

"We want our story told because it's ordinary people standing up against fascism, facing down fear, and attempting to reshape our small corner of the world into a space of egalitarianism and shared efforts for our needs and desires," Mr Dixon says.

He is articulate, friendly and disarming, even when holding an assault rifle.

Photo: Mr Dixon says a willingness to use firearms is a wise deterrent against white terrorist violence. (Supplied: Abdul Aziz)

For the past decade he has lived in Durham, an urban, progressive bubble in the conservative south.

He speaks with a sense of urgency, especially when on the subject of white supremacists and the activities of the far right.

"These are people with clearly stated intentions to carry out violence against people of colour, against queer folks, against women," he says.

"They're not just speaking — they're marching. They're marching in a way that's intimidating, as we all know is harking back to the torch light rallies of the Nazi era."

While the term "redneck" is often derogatory — a stereotype of poor, uneducated, racist whites — the group wants to reclaim the mantle.

Mr Dixon wants to instil honour in the word as a tribute to America's working class; people who, they say, may not realise they are being hurt by big business and government.

Redneck Revolt's signature item is a red bandana, the same cloth worn by coal miners in West Virginia during an uprising against mining companies and the state in 1921.

Members say the group has a broad agenda: to help communities take care of themselves and reclaim the freedoms they believe are being eroded by the state and corporate America.

They have food-sharing programs and do first aid training, but their most striking feature is their readiness to bear arms.

"I think for us having access to weapons and having the skill and competency with them … allows us to at least consider that among a diversity of possible tactics," Mr Dixon says.

"It doesn't mean that they're going to be used all the time, but recognising the moment we're in, when real white terrorist violence is a fact of American life.

"I wish we didn't have them, didn't need them, but I think a wise deterrent is not something to scorn."

"None of us think about firearms in a cavalier way," Mr Dixon insists, before heading back to the firing line to help his friends reload their guns.

It was the violence at a white nationalist Unite the Right event in Charlottesville, Virginia, last August that galvanised many anti-fascist groups, including Redneck Revolt.

After hours of clashes, a car ploughed into a group of leftist protesters, killing one woman and injuring scores. The alleged driver was an avowed white nationalist.

Police failed to intervene to stop the clashes and were later pilloried for their inaction.

In the days that followed, the "alt-left" was thrust into the global spotlight by Mr Trump's denunciation of "both sides" in the Charlottesville tragedy.

Among the Antifa ranks were "bad dudes", the President said, who used violence in the same fashion as those promoting neo-Nazi and white nationalist ideologies.

Redneck Revolt had their guns in Charlottesville but never fired them.

Even so, their weapons drew shock and in some cases, disgust, from many on their own side.

"We knew we were being intensely scrutinised," Mr Dixon says.

"My personal rejoinder would be like, well, who's worrying about optics when people might actually be killed? What really is our priority here?"

Mr Dixon describes his feelings in the hours after the killing as akin to leaving a battlefield, shocked and distraught.

"Clearly, no-one could have predicted what it had turned into, this really striking, watershed moment in contemporary US history," he says."

"I think it's made people have a much higher degree of vigilance, to recognise that dangers might be much closer to home than they imagined."

Within days, the violence in Charlottesville began to take effect on activists like Mr Dixon.

Rumours swirled around his hometown that a Ku Klux Klan rally was coming to their streets.

Mr Dixon claims police were nowhere to be seen. So, fearful of a repeat of Charlottesville, he joined counter-protesters on the street with his assault rifle slung over his shoulder.

The KKK never came, but police charged Mr Dixon with multiple offences.

"I insist upon my rights as a citizen to have the means for my own self-defence when the state is absent or unwilling to actually intervene," he says.

Along with the charges, there are calls from some who want Mr Dixon sacked from his job as a lecturer at the University of North Carolina. Yet he says he has no regrets.

"I would definitely do it again," he says.

Photo: Redneck Revolt had their guns at the Charlottesville clashes, but did not fire them.

A growing division

Like many groups in the wider Antifa movement, Redneck Revolt suffers from an image problem.

Mr Trump's inauguration drew black-clad Antifa activists who smashed store windows and set a limousine on fire in Washington, DC.

One protester punched white nationalist Richard Spencer on live television while he was being interviewed by the ABC.

"We don't need the Antifa to come and make a spectacle out of it," says Richard Cohen of the Southern Poverty Law Centre, a group that tracks hate crimes in the US.

Mr Cohen believes that kind of behaviour plays into the hands of the far right.

But there is evidence the hate speech and spread of racist propaganda is starting to bear ugly fruit.

Hate crimes mainly targeting African-Americans, Muslims and immigrants have increased two years in a row across the country and they're on track to rise for a third.

Antifa groups like Redneck Revolt believe Americans are foolish if they dismiss the rise of white supremacist groups.

"Back 10 years ago there were a handful — today there are many more," says Mark Bray, a left-wing scholar and author of Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook.

"You organise against these small groups as if they could be the starting points of future murderous movements or regimes, and you stand up to them by any means necessary."

In the wake of the Charlottesville tragedy, police have had a bigger presence at confrontations between right and left protesters, and have mostly managed to keep the two sides apart during the official rallies — but there has been some violence once police left.

Back at the range in rural North Carolina, Mr Dixon is chatting to an unlikely ally in Chance Allen.

Mr Allen is a member of the American Pit Vipers constitutional militia, an armed group that is committed to aiding law enforcement and defending free speech — including by the far right.

He first encountered Redneck Revolt at a pro-Trump rally when one of his members tried to assault one of theirs.

Back then he felt "complete, utter hatred" towards the leftists.

"At one time I was solid 'unite the right'," Mr Allen says.

"I thought originally that they was just 100 per cent anti-Americans."

He attributes that to misinformation in the media.

"Once I started seeing the bullshit out there and wanting to know the facts and get to learn, that's when I started realising 'we the people' means 'we the people'. We're all the people," Mr Allen says.

Part of Redneck Revolt's mission is to win over rural, working-class Americans like Mr Allen, who may be susceptible to the ideologies of the far right.

"I really don't imagine this to be some kind of conversion crusade. But it really is trying to establish lines of affiliation, lines of affection, even," Mr Dixon says.

"I'm trying to get them to point their guns in the right direction."

Mr Dixon's friend is having problems with the sight on their AR-15. He walks over and helps fix it.

"Alright, fire when ready," he says.

Despite criticism, Redneck Revolt members like Mr Dixon remain defiant about their right to bring weapons to rallies.

"We know that this is a real danger and we're not willing to abdicate our own security to the state," he says.

"So having access to guns and the willingness to discipline ourselves around it I think are crucial features of our contemporary existence.

"I'm not going to be passive or a spectator or fall back behind some kind of centrist line that outsources resistance to fascism, say, to the state, imagining the police will, quote, 'do their job'.

"Because I would argue they have a stake in the far-right ideology — incarceration rates, deportation rates, endless war against people abroad."

Mr Dixon says it is a false moral equivalence to say those on the left who are prepared to use violence are just as bad as those on the right.

"When the left uses violence, in the rare cases that it happens, it's resistance," Mr Dixon says.

"When those actions are taken, it's because some other kind of threat has already materialised and therefore, that danger coming from far-right action justifies or necessitates some kind of intervention with force.

"Has any left person fired in a protest? No. Has anyone from the left killed anyone?" he asks rhetorically.

Mr Dixon grew up in a military family. His father was a career army officer and his grandfather was a bomber pilot in WWII.

He says his grandfather would be appalled at the rise of fascism and racism in America today and he has vowed to carry on the fight that began generations ago.

"I'm not going to let people fly swastikas freely on the streets of the United States," he says.

"I'm never going to stand by and let people get hurt."
That second article is pretty interesting. I keep saying we need to change the "gun culture" in America. That group certainly is doing just that.
Old 02-14-18, 11:06 AM   #7738
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I'm gonna call this one a win for minorities. You're welcome.
Thank you Massa Mabuse, you sure is kind.
Old 02-14-18, 11:09 AM   #7739
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Kehinde plays with having subjects at the forefront of a painting or not. This, which is one of his best paintings, does not have the subject pop:

“OK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.” – grundle
Old 02-14-18, 11:10 AM   #7740
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
White fragility didn't use to trigger that kind of behavior. It used to trigger violence, lynching, Jim Crow Laws, false accusations that railroaded you into jail, etc. Now all that happens is arguing, silence, and retreat.
It's super cute that you think these things.
Old 02-14-18, 11:18 AM   #7741
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It's super cute that you think these things.
I'm quoting the stupid article that says white fragility leads to "behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation".
Old 02-14-18, 11:19 AM   #7742
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Does the article say those things are mutually exclusive? I must have missed that.
Old 02-14-18, 11:44 AM   #7743
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Kehinde plays with having subjects at the forefront of a painting or not. This, which is one of his best paintings, does not have the subject pop:

I won't get into the "optics" of this painting (see my above posts) but I don't like it at all because of the composition - the dueling background vs subject. Drives me nuts looking at it.

#Taste is subjective

- David French
Old 02-14-18, 11:56 AM   #7744
DVD Talk Hero

I actually went to see the portrait today at lunch (I'm fortunate enough to work near the Portrait Gallery) and I found it to be much more impressive in real life than in any of the pictures I've seen online. The figure of Obama really pops, and the colors in the background are very vibrant. Overall, it conveyed the sense of a man who is calm and in control, at his ease but not completely relaxed and so ready to spring into action at a moment's notice. Which is exactly how I think Obama the man is. I certainly like it better than the last two president's portraits -- the portrait of Bush by Robert Anderson looks like it belongs in a mid-range steakhouse chain. It's technically competent, but there's nothing about it that helps me understand who Bush is. And the portrait of Clinton by Chuck Close uses a very interesting technique, but again, I don't think the portrait tells us much about the subject.

I also saw the Michelle Obama portrait, and while it's very well done technically, it doesn't say "Michelle Obama" to me. By painting her in dull colors against a blank background with an abstracted dress, it depicts the opposite of what I think of when I think of Michelle -- a vibrant woman, engaged in and an integral part of the world around her.
Old 02-14-18, 12:01 PM   #7745
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Oh wow. I had never seen the Clinton one; assumed it was standard fare like the others. That's.. umm... something.
Old 02-14-18, 12:13 PM   #7746
DVD Talk Legend

The Clinton one feels dated. That's a common problem with contemporary art. It was amazing at one time and now it's a cliche.

It looks like an instagram filter.
Old 02-14-18, 12:24 PM   #7747
Banned

Quote:
The Clinton one feels dated. That's a common problem with contemporary art. It was amazing at one time and now it's a cliche.

Your art criticism is juvenile, facile, and ignorant!
Old 02-14-18, 12:28 PM   #7748
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Your art criticism is juvenile, facile, and ignorant!
Hey, that's me.

I earned it, damnit!

- David French
Old 02-14-18, 12:28 PM   #7749
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:

I don't know if you could call Close's work cliche, except in and among its own kind. Close is/was sort-of one of a kind in doing this type of work. Like Pollack's technique, the idea is a closed circle.

Close also belongs in the Weinstein thread now ...

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
886 days 3 hours 7 minutes
Old 02-14-18, 12:30 PM   #7750
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post

Since the DC article brings up the beheading paintings
Beheading?

I thought she was just being helpful by pulling out someone who had gotten stuck in a hedge.