Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Old 10-01-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post

Old 10-01-17, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Not sure if 'appreciate' or 'logic' are the right words here ...

I'll defer to Tyner's spot-on gifs.
Well, bully for you, Kurtie.

You might as well sign on to gifs instead of discussion since that apparently is all anyone has to offer when the ability to discuss fails them. I noticed recently that you seemed to be gingerly trying to reason with the King by engaging in some velvet glove conversations. You evidently have more patience and tolerance for prevarication, deflection, and self-indulgent insulting behavior. Then there is Troy, who seems to feel that King needs his hand held and can't answer for himself. And who himself loves to do the insult trolling thing but who backs off when challenged.

Here's a really mean post for those who love to dish out the insults daily but can't stand hearing opposing views:

No.

Meanwhile, those with real life experience who welcome actual honest discussions can continue to converse without the "aid" of those who don't.

And will get along just peachy without the static, while others can retreat to their safe space and play there.

It's a win-win for everybody!

But it certainly does once again illustrate the accuracy of the "nation of cowards" reference in the title.
Old 10-01-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post

You might as well sign on to gifs instead of discussion since that apparently is all anyone has to offer when the ability to discuss fails them. I noticed recently that you seemed to be gingerly trying to reason with the King by engaging in some velvet glove conversations. You evidently have more patience and tolerance for prevarication, deflection, and self-indulgent insulting behavior. Then there is Troy, who seems to feel that King needs his hand held and can't answer for himself. And who himself loves to do the insult trolling thing but who backs off when challenged.

Here's a really mean post for those who love to dish out the insults daily but can't stand hearing opposing views:

No.

Meanwhile, those with real life experience who welcome actual honest discussions can continue to converse without the "aid" of those who don't.

And will get along just peachy without the static, while others can retreat to their safe space and play there.

You're whining. Don't obfuscate. Inri posted a personal experience and you, in essence, shut him down. Then you tried to re-frame it and make it about YOU. "Oh poor white man getting insulted by the "blacks" as you walk down the hall." Do you not see what the issue is there?

I can see why you don't travel outside of your town. When you're sheltered the world is a big bad dangerous place.
Old 10-01-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was quite younger I was punched and then choked in a smoky downtown blues bar by a gentleman from a group of (black) men because I was setting and talking at a table of coworkers he described as "sisters" that rebuffed their multiple advances. A bouncer grabbed him and kicked the group out.
I don't consider myself a victim but many can be, drunken jerks in bars are common - I'm older (smarter ) now and stay out of them.
Old 10-01-17, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
You're whining. Don't obfuscate. Inri posted a personal experience and you, in essence, shut him down. Then you tried to re-frame it and make it about YOU. "Oh poor white man getting insulted by the "blacks" as you walk down the hall." Do you not see what the issue is there?
I can see why you don't travel outside of your town. When you're sheltered the world is a big bad dangerous place.
The King told a story about a bunch of drunken louts in a bar who yelled at him and his friends & threw drinks at them. Imagine that...drunks in a bar...in the Bronx!

Apparently, the drunks mistakenly assumed that he & his friend were Spanish, just as he assumed they were "white."

Yeah, I saw the issue all right. The King was threatened in a bar. I was threatened as a new student in high school because I didn't realize that black students had commandeered an entire ramp in our large h.s. and
Innocently wandered into it (and I played on two integrated state championship teams). One of my friends was jumped and beaten up by black guys because he dated a black girl. My wife, who is barely 5' tall, was sexually harassed by a large black guy in a hospital elevator. And one of my former students, a very progressive young lady who has lived with an insulin pump since her youth, was taunted with profanity and bullied by hee minority students to the point that she resigned and left teaching.

Troy...in between the usual racist slur...implied that I haven't encountered racism. Obviously, he (and you) aren't really interested in hearing the truthful answer. I wasn't impressed with The Kong's tale, but I didn't discount it, either.
Just said that one bar anecdote wasn't "good enough," to quote his snark.

I don't think that you "see" nearly as much as you assume that you see.
Old 10-01-17, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
When I was quite younger I was punched and then choked in a smoky downtown blues bar by a gentleman from a group of (black) men because I was setting and talking at a table of coworkers he described as "sisters" that rebuffed their multiple advances. A bouncer grabbed him and kicked the group out.
I don't consider myself a victim but many can be, drunken jerks in bars are common - I'm older (smarter ) now and stay out of them.
I'm willing to bet that all of these brave "white" internet warriors would be shaking like a leaf at the prospect of entering a "black" bar in downtown Memphis, Detroit, Baltimore, or South Central L.A.

I've gone on a regular basis into some of the lowest-income projects to tutor kids of all races, but I have enough sense to avoid the predominately-white Hog Wild Saloon with its frequently-reported bouts of violence.

Of course, your bar experience will be dismissed as an encounter with jerks, not racism. Just be glad you didn't use a racist word like "thug" to label your attacker.

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-01-17 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

No.

But it certainly does once again illustrate the accuracy of the "nation of cowards" reference in the title.
Your responses to inri's examples of racism were asinine, tone-deaf, and insulting.

It's not worth my time to listen to you proselytize under the guise of 'discussion' so in this case I'll back out now.
Old 10-01-17, 03:52 PM
Banned

Your responses to inri's examples of racism were asinine, tone-deaf, and insulting.

It's not worth my time to listen to you proselytize under the guise of 'discussion' so in this case I'll back out now.
Don't let the door hit you....
Old 10-01-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Don't let the door hit you....
Before it hits me, a pro-tip for you, if you dismiss inri's example as drunken louts in a bar, then turn around and speculate that we libs will merely dismiss mspms example of racism as drunken louts in a bar, you lose the credibility you never had.
Old 10-01-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Before it hits me, a pro-tip for you, if you dismiss inri's example as drunken louts in a bar, then turn around and speculate that we libs will merely dismiss mspms example of racism as drunken louts in a bar, you lose the credibility you never had.
Old 10-01-17, 04:44 PM
Banned

Oh, so you were backing out, but just had to duck back in to get the last word...and unwittingly prove my point.

Either instance might be drunken louts in a bar or drunken racists in a bar or just racists in a bar.

Whatever the case, these are the lessons to be gleaned:

1. Bars are notorious for attracting lowlife. Adding alcohol to the mix doesn't help.

2. Many people have had similar experiences to The King's, often in more benign settings. These isolated incidents are not unique...and yet not everyone thinks of themselves as "victims" based upon those incidents.

Also...think what it says about your credibility when you can't manage to refrain from issuing another petty insult among your selective & arbitrary outrage.

If you can't take the heat....
Old 10-01-17, 04:47 PM
Banned

The above argument is probably what won you the spot of captain of the debate team.

Old 10-01-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The above argument is probably what won you the spot of captain of the debate team.

I'm not going anywhere.
Old 10-01-17, 05:02 PM
Banned

I'm not going anywhere.
Old 10-01-17, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bars are notorious for attracting lowlife. Adding alcohol to the mix doesn't help.
Hey!

Well, I was young (and stupid).

I have one more item:

3. Women are often involved.

Another Mike Lester cartoon -

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Old 10-01-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which is true for many white people who live in a "bubble". Their neighbors are white, their kids go to a mostly all white private school, no crime in their neighborhood, so when any race things occurs, they are clueless to whats going on, and assume its fake or just "savages" doing their thing, as they go back to their "bubble" world.
Old 10-01-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
The original question was just bait as well. inri answered and got the typical response one does from the poster that claims to be all about respectful diuscourse, but proves otherwise on almost a daily basis.

and for someone who claims to be bible person, I sure dont see any compassion here
Old 10-01-17, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Today I learned that drunken racism isn't as bad as regular racism. Especially if you're not white, in which case you should just dismiss it because the people are drunk, and you shouldn't have been there anyway because that's like 'asking for it.' Plus, if people throw drinks on you while shouting racial epithets while trying to force you out of said bar, you are definitely *not* a victim of racism.

But, if you're white and the same thing happens, you shouldn't dismiss it as just drunks being drunks, even though being a non-victim of innocent drunken racism isn't as bad as being a non-victim of 'true' racism.

I also learned that if you point out someone's obvious and immediate hypocrisy, it's an insult.

Crazy world we live in!
Old 10-01-17, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today I learned that drunken racism isn't as bad as regular racism. Especially if you're not white, in which case you should just dismiss it because the people are drunk, and you shouldn't have been there anyway because that's like 'asking for it.' Plus, if people throw drinks on you while shouting racial epithets while trying to force you out of said bar, you are definitely *not* a victim of racism.

But, if you're white and the same thing happens, you shouldn't dismiss it as just drunks being drunks, even though being a non-victim of innocent drunken racism isn't as bad as being a non-victim of 'true' racism.

I also learned that if you point out someone's obvious and immediate hypocrisy, it's an insult.

Crazy world we live in!
Yep, just wanting to buy a cake from a store that sells them, potentially makes you intolerant to that persons beliefs. I'm not even sure what I should be asking my baker to be sure I'm not infringing on his beliefs. For the record, he is orthodox Jewish and is fine with his rye bread being used for ham sandwiches or BLTs. I'm unsure about his thoughts on usages for his Black and White cookies.

People really twist themselves into pretzels when they don't want to seem bigoted, yet still want to hold bigoted beliefs. If you're a bigot, it's best to just own it. I watched Ghost World yesterday and the racist caricature and subsequent whitewashing are even more relevant today than when the movie was made.
Old 10-01-17, 07:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

That movie is goddamn brilliant
Old 10-01-17, 07:54 PM
Banned

Today I learned
Actually, Kurtie...

going by the rest of your post betraying a total lack of understanding of the conversation...

you didn't learn a thing.
Old 10-01-17, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

White guy knocks out 12 year old's teeth and calls him the N word.
https://blavity.com/white-man-who-kn...ampaign=buffer

Man is not being charged. The boy is being charged for attacking the white guy's fist with his face.
Old 10-01-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, Kurtie...

going by the rest of your post betraying a total lack of understanding of the conversation...

you didn't learn a thing.
Ah yes, creekdipper continues to dictate who understands what about everything. To have such power...
Old 10-01-17, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Ah yes, creekdipper continues to dictate who understands what about everything. To have such power...
But with such great power also comes....

Hey, somebody has to shoulder the burden shunned by the faint hearted.

[Edit: Cha-ching!]
Old 10-01-17, 09:07 PM
Banned

A diabetes riddled God temple questioning a minority about his racial victimization and then telling him that that is not good enough. Fabulous.

The indoctrinated diabetes riddled God temple no longer has any credence to whine that people should interact through their keyboards they way he wants them to.

The indoctrinated diabetes riddled God temple has shown that the supposed teachings of his favorite Fairy Tale truly mean nothing and can be chosen or dismissed as his hypocrisy chooses.

Condolences.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.