Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Old 08-30-17, 10:25 PM
Political Exile

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Why does the liberal, tolerant, and enlightened city of San Francisco arrest black women at 13 times the rate of women of other races?

http://splinternews.com/black-women-...-th-1793847970

Black women in San Francisco arrested way more often than white women, report shows

May 27, 2015

Black women in San Francisco are disproportionately arrested compared with their white counterparts, according to a new analysis of state arrest data from the Center on Criminal and Juvenile Justice.

Black women represent 5.8% of the city’s female population, but accounted for 45.5% of all female arrests in 2013, according to the report from the nonprofit, which works to reduce incarceration. For arrests related to weapons and narcotics—both felonies—black women made up 77% and 68% of all female arrests, respectively.

Black women were arrested "at a per capita rate 13.4 times higher than women of other races," says the report. San Francisco’s overall black population declined from 60,515 in 2000 to 48,870 in 2010.

Here's the chart:

These shocking statistics come on the heels of a report released last Wednesday outlining what its authors call the dangerous criminalization of black women. In a year filled with countless protests, relentless media coverage, robust political and community organizing efforts aimed at addressing the over-policing and police-involved deaths of young black men, comparatively little has been said about the criminalization and vulnerability of black girls and women.

Last Wednesday, a vigil was held in New York City’s Union Square to honor black girls and women killed by police. The next day, San, Francisco’s busiest streets were shut down by topless black protesters demanding they—and all women—be seen.
Old 08-30-17, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Are you serious?? Antifa has caused talks on college campuses to be cancelled all over the country.
And white supremacists have murdered people, so do me a favor and check your fucking priorities.
Old 08-30-17, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
It's thoughtful. To be fair, the "White Supremacists" are only reaching like-minded fringe.
They reached Heather Heyer. With a car. How many people has Rachel Maddow murdered?
Old 08-30-17, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Has antifa made any official statements condemning the violence and property destruction that have been carried out by this "small minority" of its members?
Has capitalism made any official statements condemning the violence and property destruction perpetrated by white supremacists.

Antifa. Is. Not. An. Organization.

Please, please, please get that through your thick skull.
Old 08-30-17, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does the liberal, tolerant, and enlightened city of San Francisco arrest black women at 13 times the rate of women of other races?
Oh I don't know, could it be because of police racial profiling?
Old 08-30-17, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Antifa. Is. Not. An. Organization.

Please, please, please get that through your thick skull.
New Jersey Homeland Security: Antifa = Terrorist Organization
Old 08-30-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How many people has Rachel Maddow murdered?
I can't confirm.

While we're assigning random observations to random television personalities - how many people has Sean Hannity murdered? How many liberal-leaning criminals kill people? Should we bring specific political viewpoints into question every time a crime occurs? Your comparison seems drunken and random.

My point is that these White Supremacists are powerless. At least, in the case of the types showing up at these rallies. They pose a threat on par with any given gang activity, and are likely under similar watch by authorities. But you can't prosecute thought crimes.

Until trial, I have no reason to suspect that kid ran his car into the crowd after being given orders by a White Supremacist Organization. It's more likely that he was emotional and upset, and did it in the passion of the moment. I might be wrong, and a lot more people might be involved. But I doubt that's the case.
Old 08-31-17, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
My point is that these White Supremacists are powerless.
And my point is they have actually killed people, so a) not powerless, and b) anyone who claims the media poses more of a threat than these murderers can fuck right off.
Old 08-31-17, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And white supremacists have murdered people, so do me a favor and check your fucking priorities.
Like whining that someone was saying "retard".

I can think both groups are pieces of shit, thanks.
Old 08-31-17, 07:40 AM
Banned

They reached Heather Heyer. With a car.
It's only been barely over a year since Jennifer Rooney was murdered.

How quickly we forget.
Old 08-31-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dylann Roof must be laughing in his cell.
Old 08-31-17, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Dylann Roof must be laughing in his cell.
So now you are defending Roof? Politics makes strange bedfellows...or cellmates.

"No such thing as right and wrong, it's all about the us versus them team mentality of political partisanship." ~inri, 8-30-17

Last edited by creekdipper; 08-31-17 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-31-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f1af61273049

A black man went undercover online as a white supremacist. This is what he learned.

<iframe width='480' height='290' scrolling='no' src='https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/c/embed/518e063e-89d7-11e7-96a7-d178cf3524eb' frameborder='0' webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 08-31-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As someone who grew up in San Francisco, but hasn't lived there in a decade now, I can all but guarantee this has a lot more to do with economic conditions than racial. The decline in the African American population in San Francisco is directly tied to the increasing wealth in the area due to the exploding tech sector and rising housing prices. Many working people are being priced out of living in the city.

Based on experience, the proportion of African American people living close to or below the poverty level in the area is dramatically higher than whites. People who have less money are more likely to commit crimes for a multitude of reasons, including potentially necessity to survive. Until they take your data and filter it through based on economic conditions, it is almost completely meaningless. I suspect that below poverty level African American women are arrested much more proportionately with other below poverty level groups based on population. Your data point is like saying "millionaires are arrested at a much higher rate than the average population when going above 150 mph in their cars". The statistic will be true, but only because most non-millionaires can't afford cars that go above 150 mph. You need to look at all the aspects of something, not just a single data selection that fits a narrative.
Old 08-31-17, 08:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

But Jason,
Does water NOT boil at 24 spins per second?? Checkmate!
Old 08-31-17, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
So now you are defending Roof? Politics makes strange bedfellows...or cellmates.

"No such thing as right and wrong, it's all about the us versus them team mentality of political partisanship." ~inri, 8-30-17
Yep, Dylan Roof must be laughing in his cell right now" was the exact same defense his attorney used at trial.

Oh wait, no it wasn't, since nobody could possibly perceive that as a defense of him in any way.
Old 08-31-17, 09:06 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
You need to look at all the aspects of something, not just a single data selection that fits a narrative.
That's expecting too much of most posters here.
Old 08-31-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
As someone who grew up in San Francisco, but hasn't lived there in a decade now, I can all but guarantee this has a lot more to do with economic conditions than racial. The decline in the African American population in San Francisco is directly tied to the increasing wealth in the area due to the exploding tech sector and rising housing prices. Many working people are being priced out of living in the city.

Based on experience, the proportion of African American people living close to or below the poverty level in the area is dramatically higher than whites. People who have less money are more likely to commit crimes for a multitude of reasons, including potentially necessity to survive. Until they take your data and filter it through based on economic conditions, it is almost completely meaningless. I suspect that below poverty level African American women are arrested much more proportionately with other below poverty level groups based on population. Your data point is like saying "millionaires are arrested at a much higher rate than the average population when going above 150 mph in their cars". The statistic will be true, but only because most non-millionaires can't afford cars that go above 150 mph. You need to look at all the aspects of something, not just a single data selection that fits a narrative.
I think this goes above many people's head when they are quick to criticize and demonize non-whites African Americans. Society fucks them over and then they get blamed for failing.
Old 08-31-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

...The recent body count suggests the threat to life posed by Antifa violence is not close to the threat posed by right-wing terrorism; and historically, the KKK is the most prolifically violent terrorist group in United States history, while the Nazis are among the most murderous regimes in Western history. Folks on the right who don’t understand those who don’t see Antifa as equivalently dangerous might reflect on the body count as the reason for that viewpoint.

- Conor Friedersdorf writer for The Atlantic
Old 08-31-17, 09:42 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f1af61273049

A black man went undercover online as a white supremacist. This is what he learned.

Spoiler:
<iframe width='480' height='290' scrolling='no' src='https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/c/embed/518e063e-89d7-11e7-96a7-d178cf3524eb' frameborder='0' webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was a cool TED Talk. I watched the whole thing.
Old 08-31-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

And my point is they have actually killed people, so a) not powerless, and b) anyone who claims the media poses more of a threat than these murderers can fuck right off.
I've been having this thought recently because of a rash of hiking deaths this year. I know it's not entirely germane to this subject, but media can get people killed. The book and movie Wild has gotten a lot of people killed.
Old 08-31-17, 10:04 AM

Even if that were true, was the goal of Wild to kill people?
Old 08-31-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
...but media can get people killed.
Oh, to say the least. We ignore that crime and violence is glorified in music, TV, and film ... nonstop. I feel I'm self-aware enough to be above it. But many people are not, and are easily influenced. Or maybe I've just picked the right lessons from the right movies. If you want to talk about indoctrination and brainwashing ... go to the local cineplex.

Also: I love movies.
Old 08-31-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Even if that were true, was the goal of Wild to kill people?
The film Taxi Driver didn't have a goal of shooting people, but there was an incident. But lately I've been pondering other entertainment, aspirational stuff that inspires people to step out of their comfort zone. Maybe a ski movie that inspires you to ski beyond your abilities, or Eat Pray Love inspires you to travel somewhere where you get sick or assaulted or something. People meet violent deaths while they think they are bettering themselves.
Old 08-31-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Has the KKK, founded December 24, 1865 been designated as a Terrorists group yet?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.