Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Old 08-28-17, 05:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Yeah, I'm totally lulzing right now.

Fucking Nazi.

Wait. Is he Hindu?
Old 08-28-17, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Spotify was removing Nazi music.
Old 08-28-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This showed up in my facebook feed today, a friend of a friend's Antifa account of what went down in Berkley. Not posting this because I agree with it, just because I thought some of you might benefit from hearing about how the other side is thinking:
Spoiler:
I'm glad to say the latest so-called "Battle of Berkeley" was a rout, due to overwhelming mass mobilization. We chased the Nazis out of the Bay. I'm grateful. I'm sorry it had to take another case of Nazis straight up murdering someone in Charlottesville for the public to get involved, but I'm still grateful.
You are going to see a lot of bullshit in the news media and coming out of your friends' mouths about "Antifa aggression" and stuff like that. The narrative is already starting due to the handful of times in the day yesterday when, as my friend put it, the community's immune system kicked in and Nazis got dragged out of the crowd and kicked to the curb.
So a few things I want to say about it.

1. Antifa means "anti-fascist". EVERY ONE of the 8,000 people who showed up yesterday was engaged in anti-fascist action. If you showed up or were doing ground support or were in any way contributing, congratulations. You are the Antifa.

2. Within that there was, as there usually is, a group of activists engaged in black bloc tactics: masked for protection, so that they can more directly engage in confronting the fascist threat with more safety from police oppression, doxxing and harassment from the fascists. That's who the media and the fascists are usually whinging about when they talk about "Antifa aggression". We had an especially strong and large black bloc contingent yesterday and that is in part why the day was successful.

3. When you are present to witness this stuff, instead of consuming what you're told about them, you will see that the folks who do this black bloc engagement are extremely principled and quite precise about their targeted use of violence. They are there - at great personal risk - out of a spirit of community service. They do not attack people at random. They do specific things like move or break barricades to allow the mass demonstration to move. They seek out, expose, and confront fascists and fascist media operatives within the crowd. Those people get chased out or in some cases physically attacked. I personally know people, good friends I would trust with my life, who are usually in those black bloc groups. They VERIFY that someone is actually a fascist before they go in for a beat-down. They check each other. They discuss. This is not random violence. They are the security forces that make large mass demonstrations safe and effective for the rest of us.

4. Those fascist dirtbags taking the beatings or being chased out in terror? They are violent, hateful people. Here's what they do when they aren't confronted and stopped in this way: they rove around in groups in our cities, shoot and smash up queer, Jewish and PoC businesses, they attack people and beat them, they shoot guns at and drive cars into protestors and murder them, and they run live streams and radio shows inciting and encouraging hundreds of other fascists to do all these things, and praising those who do. These aren't just idiots "practicing free speech". They are active agents of a violent terrorist movement that KILLS people. They were there yesterday *to do those things*. Knocking those people around a little and breaking their propaganda tools is a service to the community.

5. If you're still confused or think there is a moral equivalency, look at the body count. Nazis, fascists, and related violent white supremacists have murdered or attempted to murder multiple people, usually peaceful resistors, just in the last few months. Charlottesville. Portland. Seattle. Go look it up. There IS NO Antifa body count, because we don't murder people.
Basically, all of y'all who love to talk about "punch a Nazi" and share memes about it cause Captain America says yes, punch a Nazi? The black bloc is doing it for you so you get to have clean hands and a peaceful march and less chance of getting murdered by a Nazi bullet or car attack. You should be thanking them.
Please educate your friends, folks.

Last edited by joeblow69; 08-28-17 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What a buncha self important retards. They literally think they are La Résistance.
Old 08-28-17, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
The fuck that have to do with anything?

The Nazis should really be doing a better job screening their applicants.

Last edited by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man; 08-28-17 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
What a buncha self important retards.
Really? Are you trying to be a shitty human being on purpose or what?
Old 08-28-17, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
This showed up in my facebook feed today, a friend of a friend's Antifa account of what went down in Berkley. Not posting this because I agree with it, just because I thought some of you might benefit from hearing about how the other side is thinking:
Spoiler:
I'm glad to say the latest so-called "Battle of Berkeley" was a rout, due to overwhelming mass mobilization. We chased the Nazis out of the Bay. I'm grateful. I'm sorry it had to take another case of Nazis straight up murdering someone in Charlottesville for the public to get involved, but I'm still grateful.
You are going to see a lot of bullshit in the news media and coming out of your friends' mouths about "Antifa aggression" and stuff like that. The narrative is already starting due to the handful of times in the day yesterday when, as my friend put it, the community's immune system kicked in and Nazis got dragged out of the crowd and kicked to the curb.
So a few things I want to say about it.

1. Antifa means "anti-fascist". EVERY ONE of the 8,000 people who showed up yesterday was engaged in anti-fascist action. If you showed up or were doing ground support or were in any way contributing, congratulations. You are the Antifa.

2. Within that there was, as there usually is, a group of activists engaged in black bloc tactics: masked for protection, so that they can more directly engage in confronting the fascist threat with more safety from police oppression, doxxing and harassment from the fascists. That's who the media and the fascists are usually whinging about when they talk about "Antifa aggression". We had an especially strong and large black bloc contingent yesterday and that is in part why the day was successful.

3. When you are present to witness this stuff, instead of consuming what you're told about them, you will see that the folks who do this black bloc engagement are extremely principled and quite precise about their targeted use of violence. They are there - at great personal risk - out of a spirit of community service. They do not attack people at random. They do specific things like move or break barricades to allow the mass demonstration to move. They seek out, expose, and confront fascists and fascist media operatives within the crowd. Those people get chased out or in some cases physically attacked. I personally know people, good friends I would trust with my life, who are usually in those black bloc groups. They VERIFY that someone is actually a fascist before they go in for a beat-down. They check each other. They discuss. This is not random violence. They are the security forces that make large mass demonstrations safe and effective for the rest of us.

4. Those fascist dirtbags taking the beatings or being chased out in terror? They are violent, hateful people. Here's what they do when they aren't confronted and stopped in this way: they rove around in groups in our cities, shoot and smash up queer, Jewish and PoC businesses, they attack people and beat them, they shoot guns at and drive cars into protestors and murder them, and they run live streams and radio shows inciting and encouraging hundreds of other fascists to do all these things, and praising those who do. These aren't just idiots "practicing free speech". They are active agents of a violent terrorist movement that KILLS people. They were there yesterday *to do those things*. Knocking those people around a little and breaking their propaganda tools is a service to the community.

5. If you're still confused or think there is a moral equivalency, look at the body count. Nazis, fascists, and related violent white supremacists have murdered or attempted to murder multiple people, usually peaceful resistors, just in the last few months. Charlottesville. Portland. Seattle. Go look it up. There IS NO Antifa body count, because we don't murder people.
Basically, all of y'all who love to talk about "punch a Nazi" and share memes about it cause Captain America says yes, punch a Nazi? The black bloc is doing it for you so you get to have clean hands and a peaceful march and less chance of getting murdered by a Nazi bullet or car attack. You should be thanking them.
Please educate your friends, folks.
Your friend is a terrorist. Plain and simple.
Old 08-28-17, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Well then so is Batman.
Old 08-28-17, 11:18 PM

Well then so is Batman.
Well...
Old 08-29-17, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Donald Trump is a terrorist. Plain and simple.

Isn't it fun to just say things?
Old 08-29-17, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And a coward as well. Hiding behind masks and causing violence is no different than the KKK and other idiots the Antifa screams about. If the neo Nazis and KKK march and cause violence they will be seen by all for the assholes they are. Having another group show up with the intent to start a fight doesn't help the cause. Nothing will ever change as long as people spread a message of hate, no matter which side they are on.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4HGMIbA0L1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-29-17, 03:08 AM
Banned

Hmm, still no context on what the guy was doing that caused the beating. The article says he was an alt-right guy, (though that's unconfirmed). If true, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that he was just innocently standing there and got attacked.
It's a shame, but it still doesn't say what he was doing before the beatdown. The article looks like it's just referencing things they saw on youtube and twitter, without actually being there. There are plenty of things Nazis can say to incite violence, so without knowing, I wouldn't want to pass judgement.

But I'll give you this : If he really was just standing there being a peaceful, loving alt-right cuddle-bug, then I don't think those people should have beat him up.
Well obviously if he did nothing to provoke them, then they shouldn't have beaten him up.
Joe, do you see where this kind of thinking leads?

If someone belongs to a group which we find abhorrent, we're justified in attacking them and beating them up.

If someone says something provocative, we are justified in attacking them and beating them up.

Would you extend that same logic to other groups who feel "provoked" by what others say or based upon group identity? Or does it only work on a selective basis?

(Setting aside other niceties such as legality and constitutionality, of course).
Old 08-29-17, 03:16 AM
Banned

http://gothamist.com/2017/08/28/swastika_necklace.php

Straphangers Alarmed By Man Riding Subway With Prominent Swastika Necklace

He's the face of the new Air Nazis line.

Last edited by creekdipper; 08-29-17 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-29-17, 03:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Sounds good to me (private property, not public). Now if we could only get religious symbols relegated to private property too, we'd really have something!
Glad to know that you'd be okay with your next-door-neighbor flying a flag or erecting a monument you find abhorrent. And that you would defend her right to do so. And would step in to prevent her from being physically assaulted by those offended by her speech.

Artistic types tend to be the greatest supporters of free speech and those opposed to censorship
Old 08-29-17, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find it funny that there are people here more upset and obsessed by Antifa than Nazis...actually funny is not the correct word, but if I said what I truly feel I might get suspended.
Old 08-29-17, 06:09 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TjqMHrc0f40?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
While he shouldn't have been punched, it wasn't a sucker punch, and his intentions certainly seem less than honorable. Approaching liberals with whom he hoped to have a constructive discussion wearing a MAGA hat is akin to a butcher approaching vegetarians to have constructive dialog with a bloody apron on. That doesn't mean his points (or the butchers points) are invalid, but when you effectively chum the waters, you can't then say you didn't want sharks around.
His intentions were to show that it was possible for a black person to support Trump, and that not all support for Trump is based on racism.

Vegetarians would have no excuse for assaulting a butcher under those circumstances, just as the puncher and the shovers have no excuse for punching and shoving this Trump supporter who was wearing a Trump hat.

He says they called him racial slurs for being a black Trump supporter. If this is true, then they are racists.
Old 08-29-17, 06:16 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The problem with this tool is he's not from Laguna. Don't bring your problems to other people's towns.
He's not a "tool."

He's a human being who is perfectly capable of making his own decisions.
Old 08-29-17, 06:21 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
The gentleman is an instigator trying to provoke a reaction and he received the reaction he wanted. In his own words:

He didn't deserve to be punched, but are you really going to keep defending this guys actions?

He said, "I wanted to expose to the nation how violent leftist agitators are."

He got exactly what he wanted.

Apparently, the puncher and the shovers can't handle the fact that there are black Trump supporters.

I hope - hope - hope - the Republicans run a black woman in 2020. Not because I support affirmative action, because I don't. But just to mess with the minds of the social justice warriors.
Old 08-29-17, 06:26 AM
Political Exile

Washington Post : (this is their title at link not mine)

Black-clad antifa members attack peaceful right-wing demonstrators in Berkeley
That's quite a title coming from the Washington Post.
Old 08-29-17, 06:32 AM
Political Exile

Maybe one of the Antifa (girl?) could be identified by this tattoo:

This is a different person, but a masked antifa person who committed assault was indeed identified by their tattoos. This was done by 4chan, the same people who identified the masked college professor who used a bike lock to split an innocent guy's scalp open, and the same people who identified the exact location of terrorists in Syria and got Russia to bomb them.

Images for all three of those things spoilerized for size:

Spoiler:

Last edited by grundle; 08-29-17 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-29-17, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Glad to know that you'd be okay with your next-door-neighbor flying a flag or erecting a monument you find abhorrent. And that you would defend her right to do so. And would step in to prevent her from being physically assaulted by those offended by her speech.

Artistic types tend to be the greatest supporters of free speech and those opposed to censorship
Well said!

And I already have to put up with neighbors erecting nativity scenes
Old 08-29-17, 06:47 AM
Political Exile

I would advise Antifa to start ramming vehicles into crowds of Nazis, maybe there will be more empathy for their cause.
I'm Jewish. If I wore a shirt with the Star of David, I honestly don't know which would be more dangerous for me - standing in the middle of 100 Nazi KKK people, or standing in the middle of 100 antifa people.

But I'm not going to find out.
Old 08-29-17, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember back in the 70's my dad put up Christmas light on the roof in the shape of a peace sign. That's it. Nothing else.

We received threats and notes and at least 2 people knocked on our door and "called my dad out".

My dad wasn't anti-war, he was drafted and served in the military. But people called him a "communist". WTF?

He stopped turning on the lights and took them down after Christmas.

But I'm with you. These monuments belong on private property or in a musium.
Old 08-29-17, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I hope - hope - hope - the Republicans run a black woman in 2020. Not because I support affirmative action, because I don't. But just to mess with the minds of the social justice warriors.
Nikki Haley has been a governor and U.N. Ambassador.

She's also a "woman of color."
Old 08-29-17, 07:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
And I already have to put up with neighbors erecting nativity scenes
Well, bless your heart.

Imagine if the neighbors start displaying Menorahs. That'll really test your tolerance levels.

Well, there's always Ramadan.

Last edited by creekdipper; 08-29-17 at 07:50 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.