Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Old 08-28-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Old 08-28-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
This could be the start of a trend with more & more displays of Confederate flags and statuary on private property (as well as on public property where approved by majority).
Sounds good to me (private property, not public). Now if we could only get religious symbols relegated to private property too, we'd really have something!
Old 08-28-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This Harvey storm isn't all bad, there has been damage on all sides.
Old 08-28-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Here is another point of view, the guy in red in the video below was a actually a reporter who was trying to shield someone being attacked:
Hmm, still no context on what the guy was doing that caused the beating. The article says he was an alt-right guy, (though that's unconfirmed). If true, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that he was just innocently standing there and got attacked.
Old 08-28-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
This Harvey storm isn't all bad, there has been damage on all sides.
Let's see who the media decides is "looting" stuff and who is "finding" stuff.
Old 08-28-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
If true, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that he was just innocently standing there and got attacked.
Washington Post : (this is their title at link not mine)

Black-clad antifa members attack peaceful right-wing demonstrators in Berkeley
Old 08-28-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a shame, but it still doesn't say what he was doing before the beatdown. The article looks like it's just referencing things they saw on youtube and twitter, without actually being there. There are plenty of things Nazis can say to incite violence, so without knowing, I wouldn't want to pass judgement.

But I'll give you this : If he really was just standing there being a peaceful, loving alt-right cuddle-bug, then I don't think those people should have beat him up.

Last edited by joeblow69; 08-28-17 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-28-17, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The article looks like it's just referencing things they saw on youtube and twitter, without actually being there.
It does say that an AP reporter witnessed the whole thing, though.
Old 08-28-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair, he was in the street. I'd be on your side if he had been on the sidewalk, but in the street? He got off lucky.
Old 08-28-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
It does say that an AP reporter witnessed the whole thing, though.
Not sure what the AP witnessed was this fight though. It says 4 fights it witnessed were broken up by police. There's no police in that video.

Separately, groups of hooded, black-clad protesters attacked at least four other men in or near the park, kicking and punching them until the assaults were stopped by police. The assaults were witnessed by an Associated Press reporter.
Old 08-28-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

yeah, reading those articles confirmed my suspicions. People started embracing Antifa when the enemy was literal Nazis, but the group has already previously shown violence against conservatives in general.

Nothing in those articles from the Washington Post or San Francisco Chronicle linked inside mentioned Nazis, Neo-Nazis or KKK, just "right-wing" or "Trump supporters", so now if you are in the 40% of the population that calls themselves conservative, and you want to march peacefully, you deserve a beatdown.
Old 08-28-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
It was a sucker punch. Anybody can see that.
But you want to make the Trump supporter look bad, and the anti-Trump supporter look better.

That's a stupid analogy. He's trying to talk to people not animals. Unless you want to infer that protesters against Trump are like animals or prone to violence.
Either way it's akin to saying, "Look at how she was dressed. She was asking for it."

It was a sucker punch. The white guy didn't square up with the black guy. The white guy was walking all casual-like, and the black guy only begins to turn his head to the white guy stopping to the side of him AFTER the white guy is beginning to throw the punch.

So a fellow Trump supporter mistakenly pepper-sprayed Maxwell and in the context of this discussion it means...he KINDA deserves it? Maxwell's fellow Trump supporters are even worse than his initial attacker?
On a side note, I'm not surprised Fox News left it out of their story, and I'm not surprised the Washington Post used the photo you're referencing under the headline "A Trump supporter was sucker-punched by a counter protester."
I'd like to know the motivation of the pepper-spray guy. Did he see a black guy and just assume he was a counter protester, was he an alt-righter looking to attack a black guy, or did he genuinely miss his target (the guy who punched Maxwell)?

We've had tough guys here encouraging others to punch neo-Nazi's/white supremacists, and that kind of talk leads to misunderstandings like this.

First thing I was thinking when I read JasonX's excuses.

If he didn't deserve to be punched why do you keep adding a "but" every time?

You can't get people to find common ground on anything these days.
You'd think some of the people who consider themselves patriots would agree with a city deciding to take down a statue honoring traitorous actions against our country and the attempt to keep people as slaves. But no.
"What about Washington? He had slaves..."

A guy gets physically assaulted for trying to talk to people at a protest. You'd think some of the people against fascism, against POC being victimized, against victim blaming would come to this victims defense. But no.
"He didn't deserve to get punched...but he had it coming. Did you see what he was wearing?
And it wasn't a sucker punch."

This is fucking pointless.
Thank you. I thought I was taking fuckin crazy pills. "Oh that wasn't a sucker punch." It's called "Stupid or Liar" JasonX. Which are you?
Old 08-28-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

This is not someone seeking a reasonable discourse of ideas, this is someone trolling others hoping to incite a reaction. His desire is to illicit a negative response and that is what he got. I wish they hadn't given him the satisfaction. I'm far more worried that this will encourage others to act the same way, to try and get a negative responce from people for some perceived gain on their end. Seems not long ago, people on both sides of the spectrum would agree that trolls are bad. It's sad that they are now defended because they are "our side". You can't have reasonable discussion on a significant level so long as you have idiots like this guy knowingly trying to stir things up, regardless of which end of the spectrum they fall into.
What you said here could apply to the punk scene. Sid Vicious was a provocateur. Many people wanted to punch him and some did. Should he have been bared from behaving and dressing as he did. In the punk scene, your provocative persona IS your art.

History is full of people who "Knowingly stired things up."

This quote sounds like something whites would have said about Dr. King.
idiots like this guy knowingly trying to stir things up
Old 08-28-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Last edited by inri222; 08-28-17 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Fixed image URL
Old 08-28-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sheridan Police say the man who reported he was stabbed in a fast food restaurant's parking lot due to his 'Neo Nazi' haircut made the whole thing up, and actually accidentally stabbed himself with a knife bought from a nearby sporting goods store.

Joshua Witt, 26, called police on Aug. 16 from the Steak 'n Shake at 3502 South River Point Parkway. He told officers he had been the victim of a stabbing.

Witt said he was getting out of his car when a black man in his mid-20s, wearing a green shirt and blue pants came up to him and asked, "Are you one of them Neo Nazi?" before attempting to stab him with a small knife.

While trying to defend himself, Witt said he was stabbed in the hand.

Witt had posted about the alleged 'attack' on his social media pages, claiming his haircut may have been the reason he was attacked.

After about two weeks of investigation, police said on Monday Witt now faces charges of false reporting.

Investigators reviewed surveillance video from the area where Witt said the attack occurred: it showed no suspect running from the scene.

What it did show, however, was Witt exiting a nearby sporting goods store after purchasing a small knife inside.

Police also tracked down the 'suspect' Witt had described to them, identifying him as a nearby transient. He was cleared of any involvement.

Sheridan Police say they re-interviewed Witt on Aug. 24, and when he learned of their new information, he admitted to accidentally cutting himself with the knife in his car.

He told police he made up the whole story about the attack.

Witt was booked and released on a summons for false reporting, which can lead to maximum penalties of one year in jail and a $2,650 fine.
http://www.9news.com/news/crime/vict...say/468544033|

Here's the garbage NY Post reporting about the original crime: http://nypost.com/2017/08/19/man-sta...-neo-nazi/amp/
Old 08-28-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
What you said here could apply to the punk scene. Sid Vicious was a provocateur. Many people wanted to punch him and some did. Should he have been bared from behaving and dressing as he did. In the punk scene, your provocative persona IS your art.
No, he shouldn't have been bared and wasn't, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the discussion. The people that punched him didn't get arrested either nor would he have expected them to be. Gobbing used to be standard and was accepted by the performers, although I'm sure there were a bunch that would rather have not been spit on.

History is full of people who "Knowingly stired things up."

What noble cause is this "artist" trying to expose exactly? Motivation is very important when it comes to accessing behavior. If you're trying to say that this guy has some grand and noble purpose, please spell it out for me.
Old 08-28-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you. I thought I was taking fuckin crazy pills. "Oh that wasn't a sucker punch." It's called "Stupid or Liar" JasonX. Which are you?
The kind that's able to form complete and coherent sentences. You can do better.
Old 08-28-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My god have we gone down the fucking rabbit hole. Is it too much to hope you have enough self awareness to realize that you can take just about any negative thing anyone ever says about anyone and say, 'sounds like something white people used to say about black people'?
Old 08-28-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
This whole article is bullshit.

Steak 'n Shake is not a fast food restaurant. There are servers you have to tip, it's fast casual!
Old 08-28-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a shame, but it still doesn't say what he was doing before the beatdown. The article looks like it's just referencing things they saw on youtube and twitter, without actually being there. There are plenty of things Nazis can say to incite violence, so without knowing, I wouldn't want to pass judgement.

But I'll give you this : If he really was just standing there being a peaceful, loving alt-right cuddle-bug, then I don't think those people should have beat him up.
Does this include beating up anyone else - like maybe a cameraman?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cameraman that Antifa assaulted. Hit w/baton in 1st pic (already bleeding) then punched/kicked multiple times. Cops &quot;helped&quot; after assaults. <a href="https://t.co/SLcdnxXGxq">pic.twitter.com/SLcdnxXGxq</a></p>&mdash; Nick Short 🇺🇸 (@PoliticalShort) <a href="https://twitter.com/PoliticalShort/status/902029038029463552">August 28, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here is a video of this cameraman being beaten down taken from a helicopter:

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Clip is from live chopper feed by <a href="https://twitter.com/kcranews">@kcranews</a> in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Berkeley?src=hash">#Berkeley</a>. No cops seen, this is <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Antifa?src=hash">#Antifa</a>. <a href="https://t.co/vQHUculNTX">https://t.co/vQHUculNTX</a> <a href="https://t.co/AJvowKzbev">pic.twitter.com/AJvowKzbev</a></p>&mdash; Nick Short 🇺🇸 (@PoliticalShort) <a href="https://twitter.com/PoliticalShort/status/901915055213625344">August 27, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe one of the Antifa (girl?) could be identified by this tattoo:

Old 08-28-17, 03:14 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
To be fair, he was in the street. I'd be on your side if he had been on the sidewalk, but in the street? He got off lucky.
Old 08-28-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would advise Antifa to start ramming vehicles into crowds of Nazis, maybe there will be more empathy for their cause.
Old 08-28-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does this include beating up anyone else - like maybe a cameraman?
Well obviously if he did nothing to provoke them, then they shouldn't have beaten him up.
Old 08-28-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://gothamist.com/2017/08/28/swastika_necklace.php

Straphangers Alarmed By Man Riding Subway With Prominent Swastika Necklace

Old 08-28-17, 04:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's for the lulz.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.