Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-02-17, 10:23 PM   #3151
DVD Talk Legend

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Young pretty white girls are one of the only 2 remaining privileged classes. The other is obviously old rich white men.

Last edited by Timber; 05-03-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 12:08 AM   #3152
DVD Talk Hero

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 05-03-17, 01:16 PM   #3153
DVD Talk Legend

lol. When it's a white girl, men stop to help her steal it.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-03-17 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 01:18 PM   #3154
DVD Talk Legend

That clip is old school, but yeah, white girls rule.
Old 05-03-17, 02:06 PM   #3155
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
That clip is old school, but yeah, white girls rule.
Just make sure you take down any pictures of yourself on social media hanging with the homies or smoking weed just in case you get run over by one of them.

- Albert Bandura
Old 05-03-17, 02:58 PM   #3156
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Just make sure you take down any pictures of yourself on social media hanging with the homies or smoking weed just in case you get run over by one of them.
Pretty much.

#MAGA
#BuildThatWall
#NoNintendo
Old 05-03-17, 03:02 PM   #3157
DVD Talk Legend

#BuildThatMotivationalWall
Old 05-03-17, 03:10 PM   #3158
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
#NoNintendo
Goddamnit. I can't keep up with this shit. Is Trump going to war with Japan? Did he make squinty eyes and call Fusajiro Yamauchi a bad dude? Did he feel as frustrated and helpless as I did while trying to play past level 1 of Super Contra?
Old 05-03-17, 04:33 PM   #3159
DVD Talk Hero

An ex-girlfriend of mine who happened to be white/pretty/wealthy/young (also kinda racist), had to get 3 DUIs within a year in order for her license to be suspended. No jail time! Not sure how she managed that, because I think at least a month of jail is mandatory after your 2nd, but like I said, she is white, pretty, wealthy, young - pretty sure if it was some random dude who was a minority, he would've been thrown in jail on his first offense.
Old 05-03-17, 05:02 PM   #3160
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that thread was gold. I was about to ask if she was the Emily Haines looking one, but you said older Blake Lively, so guess not.
Old 05-03-17, 05:31 PM   #3161
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Wow, that thread was gold. I was about to ask if she was the Emily Haines looking one, but you said older Blake Lively, so guess not.
Yeah, no, but they all kinda look/seem the same in the rearview. The racist with the DUIs was nutso but exciting, the Haines-looking girl was sane, if a bit boring.
I guess I have a "type" when it comes to looks, but personality-wise, they've been all over the map.
Old 05-03-17, 06:00 PM   #3162
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
An ex-girlfriend of mine who happened to be white/pretty/wealthy/young (also kinda racist), had to get 3 DUIs within a year in order for her license to be suspended. No jail time! Not sure how she managed that, because I think at least a month of jail is mandatory after your 2nd, but like I said, she is white, pretty, wealthy, young - pretty sure if it was some random dude who was a minority, he would've been thrown in jail on his first offense.
Was this in California? The only person I personally know who got a dui is a white girl who lost her license on the first offense.
Old 05-08-17, 03:14 PM   #3163
DVD Talk Hero

- Albert Bandura
Old 05-08-17, 04:48 PM   #3164
DVD Talk Legend

So there was one in Los Angeles. Wonder what the story is on that. And what the hell went on in the very north east corner of California?
Old 05-08-17, 09:46 PM   #3165
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
So there was one in Los Angeles. Wonder what the story is on that. And what the hell went on in the very north east corner of California?
Probably the guy who played Uncle Fester on "The Addams Family."

In the 1930s he was part of a lynch mob that killed a man accused of kidnapping and murdering a female friend of his. It was reported that he actually held the rope.

100% true. Look it up.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 05-09-17, 10:34 AM   #3166
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds vaguely familiar. I will.
Old 05-09-17, 12:19 PM   #3167
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Probably the guy who played Uncle Fester on "The Addams Family."

In the 1930s he was part of a lynch mob that killed a man accused of kidnapping and murdering a female friend of his. It was reported that he actually held the rope.

100% true. Look it up.
That was my first thought too, but that was in 1933 (the map only goes through 1931) and was up in San Jose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooke_Hart

Jackie Coogan -- the actor who played Uncle Fester -- was a huge child star. He played The Kid in the Charlie Chaplin movie. He made millions (and that's millions in 1920s money). But his mother and stepfather spent it all before he turned 21, which led to California passing a law requiring a portion of child actor's earnings to be put in trust for them.

He went on to marry Betty Grable, which means the number one pin-up girl of World War II was married to Uncle Fester.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 05-11-17, 04:01 PM   #3168
DVD Talk Hero

Life can be ironic.

A white officer claims he was racially taunted for his African heritage
DNA test revealed he was 18% African

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/11/us/pol...ancestry-trnd/

- Albert Bandura
Old 06-20-17, 11:44 AM   #3169
DVD Talk Legend

Op-ed from The Hill published 6/19/17 stating a law professor's support for a "Day of Absence" at Evergreen College and the recent flap in which white students & faculty were asked to voluntarily exclude themselves from campus activities, a white professor objected, and students called for his firing.

Title: When a Lesson on Historical Oppression Takes An Ugly Turn

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...s-an-ugly-turn

The law professor feels that the "white" students & faculty have to experience "exclusion" on the basis of their race in order to have empathy.
Old 06-20-17, 01:23 PM   #3170
DVD Talk Legend

That's a very well reasoned article. But it doesn't swing me to support the students or faculty of Evergreen. And I don't blame the students. They are just doing what they think is expected of them. They've grown up in a world where they think it's expected of them to shut down facilities, shoutpeople down, and demand the firing of adults with livelihoods at stake. To them, that's what being a part of the political left is. They are just doing the only thing they know.

I blame the faculty. They are true liberals and they are failing to do their job. They aren't educating these left kids. They aren't sculpting them with true liberal values. They are letting the students take over. This one faculty hold out isn't some racist. He's a reasonable, Jewish, humanist, and he comes off as very patient and supportive of kids. The kids are all screaming bullies and the faculty are enablers of the kids. Too scared to tell them what they are doing is wrong, scared of losing their jobs by being labeled by the mob, they just sit back and let the inmates run the asylum.

That editorialist wants learning to happen. I agree. But no one at Evergreen (save for one professor) wants learning.

No mater what your ideals are, acting as a mob, shouting down opposition, agitating to fire someone who disagrees with you, etc. are not acceptable ways to behave. They are at college to be prepared for the real world. In the real world you can't behave that way. These professors should be shaping them into good, productive liberals. But they're just letting them be leftist trash. That's letting the kids down, man. That's like feeding your kid only candy bars. They're ruining the kids.

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-20-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-20-17, 01:41 PM   #3171
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's an interesting race topic I'm guessing not many have hard of:

Controversy Flies Over Philadelphia’s New Pride Flag

The city of Philidelphia brought it upon themselves to redesign the gay pride flag, adding 2 new colors, black (to represent the black community) and brown (hispanics).

This is causing all sorts of commotion in the gay community for a couple reasons:
1) the gay flag was NEVER about race, the whole reason it is a rainbow is that it is supposed to be completely inclusive of everyone
2) the new flag is ugly

So now it seems that if anyone even tries to argue against adding the new colors, they are called racist.
Old 06-20-17, 02:04 PM   #3172
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Black brown red? That flag is terrible. #racist #GodMadeRoyGBivnotBBRoyGBiv
Old 06-20-17, 02:11 PM   #3173
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is Yellow for Asians and Red for Native Americans? I'm not familiar with the gay pride flag. And, yes, the gay population that is against adding brown and black are racists. Period. Absolute Fact.
Old 06-20-17, 02:33 PM   #3174
DVD Talk Hero

There was a version of the flag in the late 80s/early 90s that added a black stripe (at the bottom) to highlight the AIDS epidemic. There have been versions with a hot pink stripe across the top.

I don't think everyone who is against adding a stripe is racist, but I do think if you're more concerned with keeping the flag the way it has "always" been than you are in even listening to the concerns of gay people of color, then it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that you have some racist tendencies.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 06-20-17, 02:44 PM   #3175
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
We never got pictures of her did we

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "