Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-15-14, 02:07 AM   #101
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: 18 year old Michael Brown shot by police in Ferguson, Mo., & ensuing civil unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
I'll let the entire black community know that some white guy on the internet disapproves of .0000000001% of them looting.
exactly. until we stop ascribing the actions of some black people to all black people, we'll continue to live in the racist cesspool in which we live.

I masturbated today. Did all white males masturbate today? Wait, don't answer that ...

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1156 days 23 hours 20 minutes
Old 08-15-14, 06:18 AM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 18 year old Michael Brown shot by police in Ferguson, Mo., & ensuing civil unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
I'll let the entire black community know that some white guy on the internet disapproves of .0000000001% of them looting.
Just be sure to tell the "white community."
Old 08-15-14, 08:32 AM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So, you want every LE Officer in the US to wear a camera that records video for the officer's entire shift, recording everything they see in the public.
I see nothing wrong with that. About half of all jobs in this country monitor their employees through video surveillance. Banks, retail, post offices, etc.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Oh please. It would protect BOTH the citizens and Police.

As a Black Male I want EVERY CONTACT I HAVE WITH COPS RECORDED. This way there is less doubt about what went down. The Cop is safe and im safe.

There should also be penalties for cops who turn off their cams during traffic stops and contact with the public.
Old 08-15-14, 08:51 AM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

The amount of bending over backwards going on to protect LE from transparency is embarrassingly astounding
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 08-15-14, 08:54 AM   #105
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unbelievable, this was on a police website:

http://boingboing.net/2014/08/13/dor...ms-online.html
Old 08-15-14, 09:01 AM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So, you want every LE Officer in the US to wear a camera that records video for the officer's entire shift, recording everything they see in the public.

Yeah, that's a wonderful idea. You wanna talk about privacy rights, you just got slimed with it.
I'm not a huge fan of a surveillance state, with cameras on every street corner recording 24/7. But if police wore a small go-pro style camera as a part of their uniform, those cameras would only be recording what the cops see anyway.

If the cameras are on the cops and you don't want to be recorded, don't go near cops. If the cameras are hidden and all around us all the time, there's no chance to avoid them if you want some privacy.

Also, when cops have cameras, they say that complaints against cops drops significantly. I wonder if that's because cops act differently when they know they're being recorded, or if people know they can't lie about cops behavior.

If cops had cameras but the public didn't know about it, how often would people's complaints be proven false? If the people thought the cops had cameras, but they weren't recording anything, would there still be complaints?

Last edited by RoyalTea; 08-15-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 09:02 AM   #107
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
exactly. until we stop ascribing the actions of some black people to all black people, we'll continue to live in the racist cesspool in which we live.

I masturbated today. Did all white males masturbate today? Wait, don't answer that ...

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 08-15-14, 09:05 AM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

They released the name of the officer: Darren Wilson

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 08-15-14, 09:09 AM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder what kind of federal protection he's under.
Old 08-15-14, 09:14 AM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Unbelievable, this was on a police website:

http://boingboing.net/2014/08/13/dor...ms-online.html
Disgusting, whoever edited that video completely botched the audio because it's severely distorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Also, when cops have cameras, they say that complaints against cops drops significantly. I wonder if that's because cops act differently when they know they're being recorded, or if people know they can't lie about cops behavior.
Either way that'd be a win-win for everybody!

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 08-15-14, 09:18 AM   #111
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post

That doesn't surprise me. I would think it's probably a matter of both. For the police that aren't always honest, it would keep them in check because they know they are being taped and can't do anything they shouldn't. For the citizen, they see they are being recorded so they can't make up a story where a police officer beat them or did something they shouldn't have. So, as DaveyJoe said, its a win-win.

With storage getting larger and smaller size of the physical media, I wouldn't be surprised to find that a camera that the police wear can record a whole shift. And I also agree that the officer should face discipline up to termination if they repeatedly turn off or obscure their camera should something like this be instituted.

It kind of sucks that it has to come to this, but there are people on both sides that are ruining it for everyone else.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 08-15-14 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 09:21 AM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
So, as someone else said its a win-win.
I have a name.

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 08-15-14, 09:25 AM   #113
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I have a name.
Who are you?

Sorry... I'll edit the post to give you proper credit.

As for the story... with releasing the officer's name, does this give any indication that the officer may be facing criminal charges coming down the road?
Old 08-15-14, 09:29 AM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
As for the story... with releasing the officer's name, does this give any indication that the officer may be facing criminal charges coming down the road?
Probably, cops are normally held accountable for their actions.

Old 08-15-14, 09:31 AM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
I wonder what kind of federal protection he's under.
Plus his family.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 08-15-14, 09:36 AM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

My biggest worry about cameras on cops is that it could make cops lazy. They could be tempted to record first, then act later.

Ideally, these recordings would be saved on a secure drive & auto-deleted every 30 days (or 60 or 15 or whatever). Only pull the video from the vault if there's a complaint about an interaction with an officer. If no complaint is logged in the time between the shift and the auto-delete, that video is gone. If someone waits to complain about bad cop behavior 31 days later, too bad for them.
Old 08-15-14, 09:38 AM   #117
DVD Talk Ruler

I would only be OK with officers wearing the cameras if there was an agreement that a judge has to decide if it ever becomes public or admissible in court. Otherwise everyone will immediately demand the tape gets released to the court of public opinion so the world can determine the officer's guilt and it will be ridiculously out of control and I think just make everything worse. I also think it would lead to people getting off on small technicalities. There's already an expectation that police should be 100% perfect - but I do believe they are human as well and occasionally make mistakes. So as long as that's all considered.. I'm not against the idea of them wearing a camera to film these things at all. It also does serve to protect them from false claims.

As Canis Firebrand said.. someone else said it's a Win-Win.
Old 08-15-14, 09:44 AM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-15-14, 09:52 AM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.chron.com/news/crime/arti...on-5690307.php

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014...fore-shooting/

I do not know if all of this true, but if so this seems to be a little bid different story than just walking on the sidewalk.
Old 08-15-14, 10:04 AM   #120
DVD Talk Ruler

I don't believe any of those links. His mom said he was a "good kid" so that must be someone else.
Old 08-15-14, 10:12 AM   #121
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That certainly changes things. I wish the black community would rally around true injustices. There was a local incident here months ago that would have been much better to rally around and I would have been a big supporter.
Old 08-15-14, 10:16 AM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson View Post
http://www.chron.com/news/crime/arti...on-5690307.php

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014...fore-shooting/

I do not know if all of this true, but if so this seems to be a little bid different story than just walking on the sidewalk.
Oh, well then he totally had it coming. Cops should be able to gun down shoplifters with impunity.

Blog | Twitter
Old 08-15-14, 10:18 AM   #123
DVD Talk Legend

I would still consider shooting an unarmed cigar-thief to be an injustice, but that's just me.
Old 08-15-14, 10:20 AM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Oh, well then he totally had it coming. Cops should be able to gun down shoplifters with impunity.

Yes that is exactly what I was saying.
Old 08-15-14, 10:22 AM   #125
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It explains why the officer approached and questioned them at least, no one is saying he deserved to die for stealing. Obviously we still need to see how the rest played out... if there was a struggle, etc. It's why you just can't rush to judgement on these things... or start rioting and looting.