Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-14-14, 01:53 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 18 year old Michael Brown shot by police in Ferguson, Mo., & ensuing civil unrest

The Economist has an article with a couple of neat bits of information

1. "The number of people shot and killed by the police is hard to track... But since local police departments are not obliged to keep detailed statistics, it is hard to discern the national picture, says David Klinger of the University of Missouri, St Louis."

It is INSANE that police departments can't be held accountable. Local statistics should be the cornerstone of ANY policy.

2. "If the police wore body cameras, that might help. Complaints dropped nearly 90% and the use of force fell 60% when officers started wearing them in Rialto, California."

If this can effect be replicated nationwide, it absolutely should be implemented. That's an incredible change. They're also being trialed across England & Wales to similar results.
Old 08-14-14, 01:58 PM   #77
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 18 year old Michael Brown shot by police in Ferguson, Mo., & ensuing civil unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
But I'd rather hear two now, then discard the wrong story than for the media to pick the narrative that sells more papers.
Again, pretty much every article I've read has had both sides - the police and the eyewitnesses.

Speaking as a former journalist, not only is that the right way to do it, but it's the better "story" when both sides disagree.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-14-14, 02:19 PM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

The hacker collective, Anonymous, claims to have identified the officer who shot Brown:

http://readersupportednews.org/news-...-michael-brown
Old 08-14-14, 02:37 PM   #79
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Their twitter account has been suspended and the police department has said that the identified guy is not a member of their police force.
Old 08-14-14, 02:55 PM   #80
DVD Talk Ruler

Did he have skittles or not?
Old 08-14-14, 03:02 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the guy they named initially is the wrong name. Anon should be announcing the real cop soon.
Old 08-14-14, 03:17 PM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah, the guy they named initially is the wrong name. Anon should be announcing the real cop soon.
Well, once they've cycled through the Ferguson phone book, I guess.
Old 08-14-14, 03:20 PM   #83
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
The media.

Some reports that the FAA has that area as a no fly zone.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_2599.html

Also Anonymous released the name of the St. Louis county Chief of Police, his Wife and children and their home address

And they are threatening to release the names of every Police officer in the town and family member and their home addresses

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014...-police-chief/

Talk about dicks.
They went after the police chiefs family too. Great stuff, mob rule. Whats a few innocent bystanders getting killed.

Missouri highway patrol taking over.

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/500012562298073088

Last edited by arminius; 08-14-14 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 04:16 PM   #84
DVD Talk God

If anything good comes of this, it's the attention the mainstream media is finally giving to the rampant rise of police militarization in this country.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-14-14, 05:19 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Also Anonymous released the name of the St. Louis county Chief of Police, his Wife and children and their home address

And they are threatening to release the names of every Police officer in the town and family member and their home addresses

Talk about dicks.
Well, what do you expect? They wear Guy Fawkes masks, not Mr. Rogers' sweaters.
Old 08-14-14, 05:31 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

As far as arresting reporters goes there is a part of me that kind of likes it. Now I live in a really nice town not a shitty one like in this case but I always really dislike when local stories make the national news. If the media came to my town and their coverage was 1) fanning the flames and 2) harming the reputation of my town I think I would enjoy watching the police haul the press off in handcuffs.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-14-14 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 05:39 PM   #87
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Plus realize it's mainly opportunists
I think that's the main answer. Of course the media spins it that all these people are so upset that they feel the need to lash out by smashing windows and stealing things. Hogwash. Personally I find that insulting. Like they aren't smart enough to know how to express their feelings any other way. Why not just call it what it is.. a lame justification by opportunists for stealing.
Old 08-14-14, 07:15 PM   #88
DVD Talk Hero

Why not publicize the name of the officer. Just have all the SWAT hanging out at his house for a BBQ...

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 08-14-14, 08:21 PM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
As far as arresting reporters goes there is a part of me that kind of likes it. Now I live in a really nice town not a shitty one like in this case but I always really dislike when local stories make the national news. If the media came to my town and their coverage was 1) fanning the flames and 2) harming the reputation of my town I think I would enjoy watching the police haul the press off in handcuffs.
Old 08-14-14, 09:12 PM   #90
Political Exile

Disarm the citizens!

Protect the 1st Amendment and the Constitution except if you post off topic!
Old 08-14-14, 09:15 PM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Pretty much the weakest thing I've read on this forum in a long while. How long has wm lopez been gone now?
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 08-14-14, 09:40 PM   #92
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The officer no doubt has his family safe in hiding now (thank God). Not a good showing the black community has put on the last few days... they aren't helping themselves by looting and rioting that's for sure. Pulling for the truth to come out, lawfully and orderly.
Old 08-14-14, 10:00 PM   #93
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
The officer no doubt has his family safe in hiding now (thank God). Not a good showing the black community has put on the last few days... they aren't helping themselves by looting and rioting that's for sure. Pulling for the truth to come out, lawfully and orderly.
You say that as if a majority of them are doing it.
Old 08-14-14, 10:07 PM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

A better way to say it is the blacks rioting and looting aren't doing their race any favors.

Things look better today with the state troopers in charge.

As for the camera thing - yes, it's ridiculous that in this day and age there are cop cars that don't have cameras for whatever reason. Cost aside, aren't unions in general against cameras?
Old 08-14-14, 10:29 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Not a good showing the black community has put on the last few days... they aren't helping themselves by looting and rioting that's for sure.
I'll let the entire black community know that some white guy on the internet disapproves of .0000000001% of them looting.
Old 08-14-14, 11:13 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
I'll let the entire black community know that some white guy on the internet disapproves of .0000000001% of them looting.
And be sure to add that he approves of whatever force the police want to use.
Old 08-14-14, 11:55 PM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
The Economist has an article with a couple of neat bits of information

1. "The number of people shot and killed by the police is hard to track... But since local police departments are not obliged to keep detailed statistics, it is hard to discern the national picture, says David Klinger of the University of Missouri, St Louis."

It is INSANE that police departments can't be held accountable. Local statistics should be the cornerstone of ANY policy.

2. "If the police wore body cameras, that might help. Complaints dropped nearly 90% and the use of force fell 60% when officers started wearing them in Rialto, California."

If this can effect be replicated nationwide, it absolutely should be implemented. That's an incredible change. They're also being trialed across England & Wales to similar results.
So, you want every LE Officer in the US to wear a camera that records video for the officer's entire shift, recording everything they see in the public.

Yeah, that's a wonderful idea. You wanna talk about privacy rights, you just got slimed with it.

Sure, I would imagine anyone would act more in line with "the rules" if they were monitored. So, why not have all US Citizens wear a body camera to monitor their actions as well? After all, LE is a small minority of where violence actually occurs. You want to stop violence and crime, look no further than monitoring the country's citizens.

It's interesting the ACLU says the gains of accountability outweigh privacy concerns. Yeah, ok. You have cops running around with cameras rolling 24/7, putting everything they see on video, only to be uploaded to a centralized LE Server.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 08-14-14, 11:57 PM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-15-14, 12:19 AM   #99
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So, you want every LE Officer in the US to wear a camera that records video for the officer's entire shift, recording everything they see in the public.

Yeah, that's a wonderful idea. You wanna talk about privacy rights, you just got slimed with it.

Sure, I would imagine anyone would act more in line with "the rules" if they were monitored. So, why not have all US Citizens wear a body camera to monitor their actions as well? After all, LE is a small minority of where violence actually occurs. You want to stop violence and crime, look no further than monitoring the country's citizens.

It's interesting the ACLU says the gains of accountability outweigh privacy concerns. Yeah, ok. You have cops running around with cameras rolling 24/7, putting everything they see on video, only to be uploaded to a centralized LE Server.
Oh please. It would protect BOTH the citizens and Police.

As a Black Male I want EVERY CONTACT I HAVE WITH COPS RECORDED. This way there is less doubt about what went down. The Cop is safe and im safe.

There should also be penalties for cops who turn off their cams during traffic stops and contact with the public.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-15-14 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 01:07 AM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

What Robo said, and also, are you seriously trying to equate an on-duty policeman's privacy to that of a civilian citizen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antspawn View Post