Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-14-14, 11:04 AM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Pretty much every media report describes Brown as an "unarmed teen." The police officer said Brown pushed him back into his vehicle and tried to grab his gun. Whether or not that actually happened may be up for debate, but I don't know if someone who technically doesn't have a gun in their hand, but is actively trying to grab one really can be described as "unarmed." Again, maybe the cop was full of shit, but unless that's been proven to be a lie, I don't think it's fair to omit that from the story.
Old 08-14-14, 11:05 AM   #52
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
The media.

Some reports that the FAA has that area as a no fly zone.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_2599.html

Also Anonymous released the name of the St. Louis county Chief of Police, his Wife and children and their home address

And they are threatening to release the names of every Police officer in the town and family member and their home addresses

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014...-police-chief/

Talk about dicks.

Last edited by arminius; 08-14-14 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-14-14, 11:12 AM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

The media doesn't give you orders that violate your civil rights, police do.

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 08-14-14, 11:12 AM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
It's not only the police that come out looking stupid. Why did the guy have to be a dick when asked for ID? The cops are working long hours in life threatening riots and they are trying to protect other peoples property and they ask for an ID. I don't think that's unreasonable. But those reporters don't want to defuse the riots. The media wants to fan the flames.
Why don't you stop hitting yourself, huh?

Quote:
Then you have the poor rioters who are destroying other peoples stores to show support to the kid who was killed. This whole thing is a mess that will probably fuck up that city for years to come.
You make it sound like this is some one-off incident and not the latest installment in a long-running pattern of abuse that has already ruined the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Pretty much every media report describes Brown as an "unarmed teen." The police officer said Brown pushed him back into his vehicle and tried to grab his gun. Whether or not that actually happened may be up for debate, but I don't know if someone who technically doesn't have a gun in their hand, but is actively trying to grab one really can be described as "unarmed." Again, maybe the cop was full of shit, but unless that's been proven to be a lie, I don't think it's fair to omit that from the story.
Is there any source for that claim that isn't the police?

Blog | Twitter
Old 08-14-14, 11:15 AM   #55
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
I heard the SWAT teams just tear gassed the press. When the press ran away, the police destroyed their camera equipment.
Dismantled, not destroyed.

Old 08-14-14, 11:20 AM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Nearly every report I see says that the police say he was grabbing from the gun. Apparently he was also shot at a distance of 35 feet or so away from the cop, so it'll be interesting to get the official details about what happened as "struggled for the gun and I had to shoot him even though he was running away" seems pretty sketchy at this point.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-14-14, 11:25 AM   #57

Any thoughts or opinions on making the situation in Ferguson its own thread? Good? Bad?
Old 08-14-14, 11:26 AM   #58
Enormous Genitals

I think it's a significant enough situation to warrant a separate thread. It appears there will be a lot of discussion about it.
Old 08-14-14, 11:27 AM   #59
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
The media doesn't give you orders that violate your civil rights, police do.
I think the media is just as dangerous and just as manipulative.
Old 08-14-14, 11:35 AM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I think the media is just as dangerous and just as manipulative.
I don't necessarily disagree, but that's a subtle brainwashing that people have to actually participate in. With the internet there's no excuse, people have access to a wealth of information, but so many just want to hear what they all ready believe. With the police, you can either do what they tell you, regardless of your civil rights, or you can resist them and risk physical abuse, tasing, wrongful imprisonment, or worse. The media isn't going to kick down your door and shoot your dog because they got a bad tip. The media certainly has its issues, and they're just after ratings, but I'm glad they're out there trying to document the police in situations like this, to hopefully keep them in check and hold them accountable.

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 08-14-14, 11:44 AM   #61
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree, but that's a subtle brainwashing that people have to actually participate in. With the internet there's no excuse, people have access to a wealth of information, but so many just want to hear what they all ready believe. With the police, you can either do what they tell you, regardless of your civil rights, or you can resist them and risk physical abuse, tasing, wrongful imprisonment, or worse. The media isn't going to kick down your door and shoot your dog because they got a bad tip. The media certainly has its issues, and they're just after ratings, but I'm glad they're out there trying to document the police in situations like this, to hopefully keep them in check and hold them accountable.
What about the rioters? Should they also not be held accountable? It is some achievement to get your city proclaimed a no fly zone by the FAA. That was not the polices doing. Maybe it's time for some neighborhoods to be abandoned by the police. Is it bad there because of the way the cops are or are the cops the way they are because of how the city is? I think there is plenty to be shared by all involved.
Old 08-14-14, 11:46 AM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
What about the rioters? Should they also not be held accountable? It is some achievement to get your city proclaimed a no fly zone by the FAA. That was not the polices doing. Maybe it's time for some neighborhoods to be abandoned by the police. Is it bad there because of the way the cops are or are the cops the way they are because of how the city is? I think there is plenty to be shared by all involved.
I don't approve of looting or property destruction, but civil unrest has been building for sometime now. Changes need to be made. Complacency is what got us to where we are today.

Old 08-14-14, 12:21 PM   #63
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 18 year old Michael Brown shot by police in Ferguson, Mo., & ensuing civil unrest

I wonder when the UN will get involved?
Old 08-14-14, 12:24 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 18 year old Michael Brown shot by police in Ferguson, Mo., & ensuing civil unrest

Sometimes Unfortunate Things Happen In The Heat Of A 400-Year-Old Legacy Of Racism

Spoiler:
Quote:
By Thomas Jackson, Chief Of Police, Ferguson Police Department

As anyone in law enforcement knows, upholding the peace often comes down to making tough, split-second decisions. A police officer must assess his options quickly, especially when faced with resistance from potentially dangerous individuals. But try as we might, bad things sometimes happen in the heat of a 400-year-old legacy of racism.

It’s a situation every officer of the law will inevitably face: tensions escalate during questioning or an arrest when, suddenly, in the commotion of four centuries of bias against racial minorities in the United States, the situation takes a violent turn. When emotions run high, it just takes two seconds following dozens of generations of systemic social, economic, and political discrimination toward non-whites—particularly African-Americans—for things to get way out of hand.

Our officers here in Ferguson know that as well as anyone.

You don’t want violence, of course—no one does. But sometimes when you’re out there, in the middle of longstanding policies denying minority men and women the most basic human rights, you must take decisive measures. We train our officers to behave professionally and respectfully toward the communities that they serve. But no matter how much training and experience they may have, they are human beings who, in the bedlam of decade upon decade of racist enculturation and deeply institutionalized systems of inequality, may be involved in a tragic situation.

But it’s important to remember that for members of law enforcement, it’s life or death out there. Without any warning, an officer of the law can find himself in the mayhem of formal and de facto segregationist policies such as mortgage discrimination and redlining that made it impossible for people in the most dangerous neighborhoods to live anywhere else. One minute you’re pulling up beside a couple of teenagers walking down the street, and the next minute you’re face-to-face with racial disparity that dates back to the 17th century and undergirds our culture to this very moment.

Every person who has put on the uniform has been there. Out of nowhere, you’re confronted with the enduring shadow of slavery and Jim Crow—boom!—just like that, and you simply react.

So at the end of the day, keep in mind that police officers are doing the best they can, even when unfortunate incidents occur. When you’re suddenly in the middle of an inhuman situation that’s repeated itself over and over and over for 400 years, you have to act fast.

Sadly, sometimes you just don’t have a choice.

Old 08-14-14, 12:29 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Governor orders local police to stand down:

Quote:
Missouri Governor Jay Nixon will announce that St. Louis County law enforcement will be relieved of duty in Ferguson, which has been roiled by protests after the shooting death by police of an unarmed teenager, according to Representative William Lacy Clay.

“The governor just called me, and he’s on his way to St. Louis now to announce he’s taking away St. Louis County police out of the situation,” Clay, a Missouri Democrat, said in a telephone interview. He added that Nixon may ask the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation to step in.

Clay said that he has been urging U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to “take over the entire situation because we will not get justice for Michael Brown and his family and friends if the St. Louis County police and prosecutor have a say.”
Of course I doubt this would've happened if Chief Wiggum hadn't started arresting reporters.

Blog | Twitter
Old 08-14-14, 12:32 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Every single move they have made since the shooting has been wrong.
Old 08-14-14, 12:36 PM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

Ferguson police cars don't have cameras. HOW CONVENIENT. But they go and buy up military gear.

So now it's the officer's word vs other witnesses'.

How many shots were fired?
Old 08-14-14, 12:37 PM   #68
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-14-14, 01:04 PM   #69
Enormous Genitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I'm betting no one is more relieved than the rank-and-file Ferguson PD officers.
Old 08-14-14, 01:14 PM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
...But they go and buy up military gear.
Problem is that they pretty much get all that shit for free.
Old 08-14-14, 01:16 PM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Is there any source for that claim that isn't the police?
I don't know. But unless it's been debunked, I don't think it needs to be omitted from the narrative.
Old 08-14-14, 01:28 PM   #72
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Until we hear some facts, there will be two narratives. One of them will be wrong.
Old 08-14-14, 01:40 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

But I'd rather hear two now, then discard the wrong story than for the media to pick the narrative that sells more papers.
Old 08-14-14, 01:42 PM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
Until we hear some facts, there will be two narratives. One of them will be wrong.
or both of them.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 08-14-14, 01:53 PM   #75
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
The investigation will eventually show at what distance he was shot from....that should help support or not support various accounts.