Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Sorry losers, Alabama Chief Justice says First Amendment only protects Christians.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Sorry losers, Alabama Chief Justice says First Amendment only protects Christians.

Old 05-02-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Story!

Speaking at the Pastor for Life Luncheon, which was sponsored by Pro-Life Mississippi, Chief Justice Roy Moore of the Alabama Supreme Court declared that the First Amendment only applies to Christians because “Buddha didn’t create us, Mohammed didn’t create us, it was the God of the Holy Scriptures” who created us.

“They didn’t bring the Koran over on the pilgrim ship,” he continued. “Let’s get real, let’s go back and learn our history. Let’s stop playing games.”

He then noted that he loves talking to lawyers, because he is a lawyer who went to “a secular law school,” so he knows that “in the law, [talking about God] just isn’t politically correct.” He claimed that this is why America has “lost its way,” and that he would be publishing a pamphlet “this week, maybe next” that contained copies of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, thereby proving that all the people “who found this nation — black, white, all people, all religions, all faiths” knew that America was “about God.”

Chief Justice Moore later defined “life” via Blackstone’s Law — a book that American lawyers have “sadly forgotten” — as beginning when “the baby kicks.” “Today,” he said, “our courts say it’s not alive ’til the head comes out.”

“Now,” he continued, “if technology’s supposed to increase our knowledge, how did we become so stupid?” Discussing Thomas Jefferson’s use of “life” in the Declaration of Independence, he said that “when [Jefferson] put ‘life’ in there, it was in the womb — we know it begins at conception. Why aren’t we going the right way instead of the wrong way?”

He later said that “you can’t be happy unless you follow God’s law, and if you follow God’s law, you can’t help but be happy.”

“It’s all about God,” he continued. “We’ve made ‘life’ a decision taken by man,” he said, and “taken ‘liberty,’ and converted it to ‘licentiousness. We’ve taken ‘pursuit of happiness,’ and reduced it to materialism.”
There is a video at the link, but I couldn't get it to load, nor did I want to watch it. Ahhhhh, this stuff is amusing. UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO HELL!!!!!

I was in Missouri for a few days when I was 17. That is all that I really know about the South. I can't pretend to comprehend this. I live in the Pacific NW where we have the lowest church attendance in the US. I get why some of you feel the way about Christianity the way you do. I just hope you remember it when you are burning in hell without any first amendment freedoms. SINNERS!
Old 05-02-14, 07:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Sorry losers, Alabama Chief Justice says First Amendment only protects Christians

Well, they've convinced me. I'm going to have to change my heathen ways!
Old 05-02-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Sorry losers, Alabama Chief Justice says First Amendment only protects Christians

Chief Justice Moore later defined “life” via Blackstone’s Law — a book that American lawyers have “sadly forgotten” — as beginning when “the baby kicks.”
Interesting. So does Chief Justice Moore oppose restrictions on abortion prior to quickening (which is typically mid-to-late second trimester)?

Discussing Thomas Jefferson’s use of “life” in the Declaration of Independence, he said that “when [Jefferson] put ‘life’ in there, it was in the womb — we know it begins at conception. Why aren’t we going the right way instead of the wrong way?”
Oops. I guess not. Looks like Chief Justice Moore needs to brush up on his Blackstone. I hear American lawyers have "sadly forgotten" his teachings.

Anyway, I'm glad to learn that none of the people who drafted the First Amendment knew how to spell "Christianity," which is, I assume, why they used the word "religion" when they really meant "Christianity."
Old 05-02-14, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 468 Likes on 375 Posts

Let's just nuke Alabama from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
Old 05-02-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Well, they've convinced me. I'm going to have to change my heathen ways!
Praise The Lord! I've been praying for you. Really hard, even.
Old 05-02-14, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Well he doesn't even seem to know that it was the Jewish lord that created life. I guess his Bible starts in the middle.
Old 05-02-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

American Taliban!*

*this is another fake article right? Right?!?!
Old 05-02-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps someone can explain how his comments translate to "The 1st amendment only protects Christians"?
Old 05-02-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Perhaps someone can explain how his comments translate to "The 1st amendment only protects Christians"?
I was wondering that too, but kvrdave has watched so much Star Trek, where they understand people from undiscovered planets, that I just take his word for it.
Old 05-02-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He made the same comments a decade ago while speaking at my law school. What an utter cretin.
Old 05-02-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 876 Likes on 638 Posts

Does he realize that the pilgrims didn't write the Consitution?
Old 05-02-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
He made the same comments a decade ago while speaking at my law school. What an utter cretin.
Wait...you're a cop and lawyer?!?!?!?

Old 05-02-14, 11:19 PM
Banned by request

Old 05-03-14, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
If you follow Dave's link, there's a video of the speech. If you didn't want to take this article at its word, you might have watched that video. Here is a partial transcript:

It's politically correct not to say prayers before council meetings. Not to acknowledge God. Oh, we do it when we get in trouble, when they bomb the Twin Towers. All the Congress line up on the steps and acknowledge Buddha.

No, they don't acknowledge Buddha! They acknowledge the God of the Scriptures from which this nation was founded.

But I'll tell you this: everybody to include the United States Supreme Court has been deceived as to one little word in the First Amendment called "religion." They can't define it. That's what the Ten Commandments case was about. I wanted them to define it and they backed off and just decided not to take the case. Because they can't. They can't define it. When Mason, Madison, and even the United State Supreme Court define it, "the duties we owe to the creator God and the manner of discharging it." They don't want to do that, because that acknowledges the Creator God. Buddha didn't create us. Mohammed didn't create us. It's the God of the holy scriptures.

They didn't bring the Koran over on the pilgrim ship, Mayflower. Let's get real. Let's go back and learn our history. Let's stop playing games.
Old 05-03-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts

He's the original originalist. They brought the Constitution over on the Mayflower. Or maybe Noah's Ark.

Sorry - couldn't resist this thread. That this idiot somehow got back to that chair speaks volumes about Alabama. Who gets the bigger statue -- this fool, Nick Saban, or Bear Bryant? I just hope there is a bigger 10C monument that crushes any of their statues in a tornado.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-03-14 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-03-14, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love how some Christians think that America is god's favored nation.
Old 05-03-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout View Post
I love how some Christians think that America is god's favored nation.
I think inflicting us with George W Bush and Barack Obama has dispelled that notion.
Old 05-03-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Buddha isn't a creator-god, and neither is Mohammed for that matter, but it's not like he knows the first thing about any of that durka-durka stuff anyhow.
Old 05-03-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Let's just nuke Alabama from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
And if we're off by a few degrees, no great loss.
Old 05-03-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

So basically establishing the religion of a country is a "firsties" situation?

If that's so, shouldn't we all be worshipping Thor?
Old 05-03-14, 09:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 221 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
I was wondering that too, but kvrdave has watched so much Star Trek, where they understand people from undiscovered planets, that I just take his word for it.
See, the Yangs and the Comms were a metaphor for the Cold War!
Old 05-03-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I really wish we could go back to the days of feeding Christians to lions for entertainment.
Old 05-03-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
So basically establishing the religion of a country is a "firsties" situation?

If that's so, shouldn't we all be worshipping Thor?
Not Thor, the Allfather.
Old 05-03-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If you follow Dave's link, there's a video of the speech. If you didn't want to take this article at its word, you might have watched that video. Here is a partial transcript:
Actually I did watch the video, at least up until the part you quoted. I also did a little googling to refresh myself on the case he was referencing. I still didn't get the connection.

He mainly seems to be arguing for the historical Christian basis for US Law. After some reading I see that perhaps by using the Mason/Madison definition one could infer that Moore is saying that "religion" in the 1st amendment means only Christian sects, but I don't know if he is saying that. I'm not fully versed in the subject, but I am skeptical that history supports that inference even though the Mason definition is biased towards monotheism.

There is certainly a view that the intent of the 1st was to prevent conflict between Christian sects but I believe that even at that time it was understood that the protection provided by the 1st went beyond Christian sects and applied to all religions or having none.

As Justice Story wrote in 1833:
The real object of the First Amendment was, not to countenance, much less to advance Mahometanism, or Judaism, or infidelity, by prostrating Christianity; but to exclude all rivalry among Christian sects, and to prevent any national ecclesiastical establishment, which should give to an hierarchy the exclusive patronage of the national government. It thus cut off the means of religious persecution, (the vice and pest of former ages,) and of the subversion of the rights of conscience in matters of religion, which had been trampled upon almost from the days of the Apostles to the present age.
However, he also wrote that the 1st Amendment ensures that "the Catholic and the Protestant, the Calvinist and the Arminian, the Jew and the Infidel, may sit down at the common table of the national councils, without any inquisition into their faith, or mode of worship."
Old 05-03-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He explicitly says that religion, as used in the First Amendment, refers to the duties we owe to the Creator God, and then explicitly says that does not include Buddha or Mohammed.

Now, there are probably charitable ways to read Moore's comments -- Mohammed is not held out by Islam as a creator, so hypothetically, Moore might think Muslims who worship Allah are entitled to the protection of the First Amendment. But that doesn't account for Buddhists (or various other religions) who do not worship a creator God. And why did Moore single out Mohammed but not Jesus (or Abraham)?

But even if you want to do those kinds of backflips to justify an argument as to why Moore really thinks Buddhists are entitled to the same rights as Christians, a one-liner like "Perhaps someone can explain how his comments translate to 'The 1st amendment only protects Christians'?" hardly advances the conversation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.