Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Hobby Lobby owner brings Bible curriculum to public schools (Irony Alert)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Hobby Lobby owner brings Bible curriculum to public schools (Irony Alert)

Old 04-21-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hobby Lobby owner brings Bible curriculum to public schools (Irony Alert)

E) If Deb had heeded The Word, maybe she wouldn't be living in a train station?
Old 04-21-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Since you're not in the same state, I don't see how your kids would be subjected to it.

And even if homeschoolers were required to teach the Bible, you could obviously put your own slant on it, which is part of the point of home schooling.
I know they wouldn't currently or ever most likely. I was just curious what my options would be IF I did live there. I don't oppose the teaching of the Bible per se, it was the part about that it is true and good which isn't proveable as fact.
Old 04-21-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The owner clearly stated his goals: to show that the Bible is 1) true, 2) good, and 3) significant (its impact). Goals guide development of an educational product, and the first two goals are inappropriate for a course intended for a public school. Another goal is to make the course mandatory, which means that people would be forced to take a course that focuses on one religion and excludes all others.
Old 04-22-14, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The FSM and Allah better get equal time...not just that Hey-Zeus guy!
Old 04-22-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NotThatGuy View Post
The FSM and Allah better get equal time...not just that Hey-Zeus guy!
Hey, don't forget Admiral Ackbar.
Old 04-22-14, 10:14 AM

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
The owner clearly stated his goals: to show that the Bible is 1) true, 2) good, and 3) significant (its impact). Goals guide development of an educational product, and the first two goals are inappropriate for a course intended for a public school. Another goal is to make the course mandatory, which means that people would be forced to take a course that focuses on one religion and excludes all others.
I missed that part of the article. I agree with you the first two are inappropriate if that's the goal of the course (his personal intentions / hope are another matter). The third is intriguing. The goal to make it mandatory is inappropriate, too.
Old 04-22-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
That quote is what prompted me to look for the original speech.

The "true" part is take slightly out of context as it seemed to me that he was talking about it being a reliable historical document since shortly before making that statement he expanded on the three points and said, while he cannot defend everything in the bible, modern archaeological discoveries have repeatedly confirmed biblical accounts. He may have even said "every time" or something to that effect.

Of course that is a questionable statement on it's own, but I don't think he was stating it would be taught as a true account of the metaphysical.

The "good" part is more troubling to me because, besides being another questionable claim, I can't see how it can be taught in a way that is not considered indoctrination.

EDIT: Here's the quote "Every archaeological discovery, most every discovery, supports the evidence of this book. Now I can't support everything that's within the book, but over and over again archaeological evidence support the history of this book. So we want to show that evidence."
Old 04-22-14, 11:39 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I think a class taking a historical look at the Bible, where archeology can shed light on the events depicted, etc...would be a very good one. Probably more suited for college, but I think some high school students would get a lot of out of it. But the intent of the class shouldn't be to "prove" the Bible true or false.
Old 04-22-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
You can watch the speech referenced in the article here. It's only 20 minutes, jump to 11 minutes in to get to the curriculum part.
It started off okay but now I'm at the part where the company was doing bad and the guy's father prayed to God, asking Him to intervene, and suddenly sales went up again. Green starts to say that this is God's company.

I know some people would see that as being humble but it comes across more as self-aggrandizing and selfsish. I think it's rather crass, but very American I guess, to pray for God to intervene in the nation's economy for one's own benefit. And then to claim your company is in the care of God?
Old 04-22-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As long as this is accompanied by Chick Fil-A providing school lunches, I support it.
Old 04-22-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

"This nation is in danger because of its ignorance of what God has taught. There are lessons from the past that we can learn from, the dangers of ignorance of this book." -Steve Green

I think our society is in danger from ignorance in general. People know more about celebrities lives and television shows than they do about math, science, and even their own country's history. Many high school graduates don't even know what's in the US Constitution.
Old 04-22-14, 03:30 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
"This nation is in danger because of its ignorance of what God has taught. There are lessons from the past that we can learn from, the dangers of ignorance of this book." -Steve Green

I think our society is in danger from ignorance in general. People know more about celebrities lives and television shows than they do about math, science, and even their own country's history. Many high school graduates don't even know what's in the US Constitution.
But they can tell you all of the Kardashain's names as well as those on Jersey Shore and other inane reality shows. That's some good knowledge there. Who's got time for math and science and history?
Old 04-22-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

History repeats itself. So what's the point in learning it if you can just wait for it to happen again and see it on TV?
Old 05-19-20, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

It seems that the Hobby Lobby people skip the part in the Bible about not stealing

Old 05-20-20, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
It seems that the Hobby Lobby people skip the part in the Bible about not stealing
It often seems that the most vocally religious people skip HUGE parts of the bible. Hypocritical assholes.
Old 05-20-20, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

Probably bank rolled isis for a year.
Old 05-22-20, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the article though;

"Despite inquiries from the retailer and the museum, the auction house withheld information about the tablet’s provenance, the authorities said.
This March, Steve Green, the president of Hobby Lobby and chairman of the museum’s board, said more artifacts would be sent to Egypt and Iraq. In a statement, he acknowledged he had “trusted the wrong people to guide me, and unwittingly dealt with unscrupulous dealers.” "

There's more info in the article about some lawsuits based on the sales to HL.

So it sounds like in this case they are trying to do the right thing... There's plenty of other reasons to criticize the people behind Hobby Lobby, not sure this one is justified though.
Old 05-22-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if the guy accused of breaking the law says it was an accident, that's good enough for me!

In December 2010, Hobby Lobby purchased $1.6 million worth of Iraqi artifacts from dealers in the United Arab Emirates. The company went on with the purchase despite concerns from lawyers over the uncertain origin of the artifacts, and the possibility that they could have been looted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby_...ggling_scandal

According to the complaint and stipulated statement of facts filed with the court, in or around 2009, Hobby Lobby began to assemble a collection of historically significant manuscripts, antiquities and other cultural materials. In connection with this effort, Hobby Lobby’s president and a consultant traveled to the UAE in July 2010 to inspect a large number of cuneiform tablets and other antiquities being offered for sale (the “Artifacts”). Cuneiform is an ancient system of writing on clay tablets that was used in ancient Mesopotamia thousands of years ago.In October 2010, an expert on cultural property law retained by Hobby Lobby warned the company that the acquisition of cultural property likely from Iraq, including cuneiform tablets and cylinder seals, carries a risk that such objects may have been looted from archaeological sites in Iraq. The expert also advised Hobby Lobby to review its collection of antiquities for any objects of Iraqi origin and to verify that their country of origin was properly declared at the time of importation into the United States. The expert warned Hobby Lobby that an improper declaration of country of origin for cultural property could lead to seizure and forfeiture of the artifacts by CBP.

Notwithstanding these warnings, in December 2010, Hobby Lobby executed an agreement to purchase over 5,500 Artifacts, comprised of cuneiform tablets and bricks, clay bullae and cylinder seals, for $1.6 million. The acquisition of the Artifacts was fraught with red flags. For example, Hobby Lobby received conflicting information where the Artifacts had been stored prior to the inspection in the UAE. Further, when the Artifacts were presented for inspection to Hobby Lobby’s president and consultant in July 2010, they were displayed informally. In addition, Hobby Lobby representatives had not met or communicated with the dealer who purportedly owned the Artifacts, nor did they pay him for the Artifacts. Rather, following instructions from another dealer, Hobby Lobby wired payment for the Artifacts to seven personal bank accounts held in the names of other individuals.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr...facts-imported