Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Anyone Following this Bundy Ranch situation?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-10-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely seems like a Federal vs Rancher issue. You even have the Governor/US Senators speaking against the action:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ne...ederal-rangers

BUNKERVILLE — From near and wide, armed men are trickling toward Cliven Bundy’s ranch, where the rancher’s fight with the federal government has become a rallying cry for militia groups across the United States.

On Wednesday, that dispute teetered at the edge of deadly conflict, when Cliven Bundy’s family members and supporters scuffled with rangers from the Bureau of Land Management sent to protect the federal roundup of Bundy’s cattle on public land.
Gov. Brian Sandoval on Tuesday slammed the BLM for creating an “atmosphere of intimidation” and called on the agency to dismantle two “First Amendment areas” it set up for demonstrators well away from any roundup activity.

The former federal judge said he told the agency “that such conduct is offensive to me and countless others.”

“No cow justifies the atmosphere of intimidation which currently exists nor the limitation of constitutional rights that are sacred to all Nevadans,” the Republican governor said.
Old 04-10-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts
Re: Anyone Following this Bundy Ranch situation?

So it basically comes down to a guy lets his cows graze on protected land and the Bureau of Land Management (or whatever it is, BLM) was trying to fine him. Bundy claims its Nevada land, not Federal land, and won't recognize the Feds.

So they brought out some intimidation tactics, which makes no sense, if they had a foot to stand on they should have just arrested his ass and been done with it.
Old 04-10-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

So, what, this nitwit thinks he's entitled to keep his cattle on land he doesn't own?
Old 04-10-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

What a moron.
Old 04-10-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think his claim is that his family has been working the land for generations, and he should be able to have some claim on it? (Sort of like Squatter rights). Not sure how that would apply, but I do understand that if you start using someone elses lands/house, and no one stops you from doing it, that after some time it is yours?
Old 04-10-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I think his claim is that his family has been working the land for generations, and he should be able to have some claim on it? (Sort of like Squatter rights). Not sure how that would apply, but I do understand that if you start using someone elses lands/house, and no one stops you from doing it, that after some time it is yours?
Adverse possession that is open, obvious and notorious for a number of years, usually 20.
Old 04-10-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If he claims the land under squatter's rights (not sure if it would qualify as per Josh's post above) the government should reclaim it using Eminent Domain.

ETA: It seems rich that people are accusing the BLM of "intimidation" given the circumstances.
Old 04-10-14, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

From what I know about this, it seems to me that the guy is trespassing.

That being said, I think it's excessive for the federal government to use more than 200 armed agents to handle the guy.
Old 04-10-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Being a cattle thing, I'd want to know if this is open range area or herd law area. As for adverse possession, you can't claim that against the government. And actually, you wouldn't have a case with cattle grazing. It is for things fenced, etc. That is "open and notorious." It is more the type of thing where everyone is aware of it and likely isn't aware of where their property line is. We had a guy try to claim adverse possession with a septic drain field that went across a property line. It is not "open" as no one could see it.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Adverse possession that is open, obvious and notorious for a number of years, usually 20.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ossession.html

Here is a list of the number of years by state. I was surprised to see any of them at 20 years. For WA, it is 10 years by deed, but only 7 by taxes.
Old 04-10-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by whaaat View Post
If he claims the land under squatter's rights (not sure if it would qualify as per Josh's post above) the government should reclaim it using Eminent Domain.

ETA: It seems rich that people are accusing the BLM of "intimidation" given the circumstances.
Showing up with a couple hundred agents seems excessive. Why not simply take it to court, mail him a fine, etc? Is there an actual arrest warrant issued? If not, that seems like a better step than getting 200 armed agents, dedicating a "Second Amendment Zone" ( ), and all this other bullshit over some cows. There must be a better way.
Old 04-10-14, 03:54 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I hereby declare that both sides are idiots. CASE CLOSED.
Old 04-10-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Why not simply take it to court, mail him a fine, etc? Is there an actual arrest warrant issued?
Since they (as per grundle's link) straight up stopped paying the grazing fee in 1993 and already owe upwards of $300K, I'm not sure how effective mailing a fine would be.
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Showing up with a couple hundred agents seems excessive. Why not simply take it to court, mail him a fine, etc? Is there an actual arrest warrant issued?
Agreed, but did that happen before or after the "militia" started pouring in?
Old 04-10-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Since they (as per grundle's link) straight up stopped paying the grazing fee in 1993 and already owe upwards of $300K, I'm not sure how effective mailing a fine would be.
Agreed. But if they haven't done anything about it in 21 years, I don't think I'm going to put all the blame on him.

No idea. But I don't think this situation is helped by what they are doing.
Old 04-10-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

I've got some strongly worded thoughts about this issue, which I'll share once I've arrived in the first amendment zone.
Old 04-10-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Before, I believe, saw a article talking about 3 militia members showing up, but this was after the Federal agents were there (Link in the main story).
Old 04-10-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I've got some strongly worded thoughts about this issue, which I'll share once I've arrived in the first amendment zone.
Yeah, That bothered me a bit, first amendment areas? wtf?
Old 04-10-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not trying to sound like infowars here, but surely all of this fuss is not about some endangered turtles. It is costing a million to hire cowboys to get the cows off of land. The Feds want that land for some sort of purpose under the guise of the turtle.
Old 04-10-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-10-14, 05:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
From what I know about this, it seems to me that the guy is trespassing.

That being said, I think it's excessive for the federal government to use more than 200 armed agents to handle the guy.
Well they have to do something until Obama can get the ball rolling on the death panels. Duh.
Old 04-10-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Feds want that land for some sort of purpose under the guise of the turtle.
Things you never thought you'd read, but did.
Old 04-10-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Did we wander into a Stephen King book?
Old 04-10-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

This has all the makings of a new CNN program (otherwise known as Breaking News)
Old 04-10-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

I just heard them on TV. One was going on about never getting a fair trial in a United States court. I think he was seconds away from starting into that maritime law/fringe on the flag nonsense.
Old 04-10-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-10-14, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So this has nothing to do with Dennis Hof?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.