Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-20-14, 02:57 PM   #501
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Re: Bill Nye Debates Ken Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So Jews are going to heaven (assuming they do what they need to do in Judaism to reach heaven)? It's the same heaven, in other words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Not going to touch that one. But yeah, it's the same heaven.
Quote:
I say exactly what it says. I'm not interpreting anything. The bible says what it says. Unless there can be more than one way to interpret what Jesus said when he said you can't get into Heaven unless you believe He was the son of GOD and follow him.....
So this is what I thought. I didn't think you thought Jews (who actually believe in Judaism) went to heaven. Only if they're "Jews for Jesus." Jews who stay Jews (the overwhelming vast majority) are out.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 02-20-14, 02:57 PM   #502
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
What idols do Catholics worship?
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 02-20-14, 02:58 PM   #503
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Still waiting for you to prove your point....
No you're not. The Point has been proven. You choose to ignore proof and go with made up shit.

"[T]he same bunch of us have been having these same arguments for years on end, with almost no change of position. OF COURSE I'm agitating further pointless arguments." - Ky-Fi
Old 02-20-14, 02:59 PM   #504
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post
And, my points stand, if God could change the rules, God would be imperfect, if God IS the rules, because perfection is universal and eternal, there would be nothing that could change.
Your points do not stand. GOD can change the rules if he wants to, but he doesn't. How does that make him imperfect ?
Old 02-20-14, 03:00 PM   #505
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
You clearly don't understand Catholicism.
Old 02-20-14, 03:00 PM   #506
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
So if you fail to follow any commandment you're not a Christian? So anyone who covets is not a Christian either? How about kids who disobey their parents, they can't be Christian either? You're saying that sinners can't be Christian. Well, I guess that leaves...no one. There are no Christians. No real ones, anyway.
Who said Christians were perfect ? You just try your best to follow the rules. Of course, you're going to fail every now and then. You wouldn't be a Christian if you quit trying to be better than you are right now.
Old 02-20-14, 03:02 PM   #507
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Nope. You have very little understanding of the Catholic faith.
Old 02-20-14, 03:02 PM   #508
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
No, it's just that Catholicism is what Spottie says it is.

I vehemently disagree with Catholicism but I find it far more intellectually respectable than Protestant fundamentalism.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 02-20-14, 03:04 PM   #509

Quote:
Your points do not stand. GOD can change the rules if he wants to, but he doesn't. How does that make him imperfect ?
Yes, they do. Like most things, you just don't get it. A perfect being CANNOT CHANGE, it is perfect, if it COULD CHANGE, it would change to something OTHER THAN PERFECTION.

"[T]he same bunch of us have been having these same arguments for years on end, with almost no change of position. OF COURSE I'm agitating further pointless arguments." - Ky-Fi
Old 02-20-14, 03:04 PM   #510
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Condescending of other religions and arrogant as all heck of his own. Surprised?
Old 02-20-14, 03:04 PM   #511
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Can we all just agree to ignore spottedfeather? He really drags down any thread he posts in.
This doesn't seem to be working out so well.
Old 02-20-14, 03:04 PM   #512
Banned

Quote:
Same thing with the gays. *shrug*

The point is, we could argue interpretation of the bible all day, and neither you nor I are experts. People who make this their life work don't agree on interpretation. So don't think you have everything right and no one else could possibly have a different, but correct, view.
Yet again, I don't interpret anything. If the bible says that you can't cheat on your wife, I don't see how you could see that any other way than, if you're married, not to bone someone other than the person you're married to.
Old 02-20-14, 03:05 PM   #513
Time Lord

Quote:
You yourself have said that god changed the rules in the past when discussing the flood. Do you not remember this?
Old 02-20-14, 03:05 PM   #514
Banned

Quote:
AND...it is not worshipping idols and fits Christian beliefs from their perspective(s).

The same way hating on gay people fits yours. One is a lot more damaging than the other (to people, to the teachings of Jesus, etc.), you figure out which is which...
I don't hate on gay people.
Old 02-20-14, 03:05 PM   #515
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
This doesn't seem to be working out so well.
Even I'm guilty of it. Shit.
Old 02-20-14, 03:06 PM   #516
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
So this is what I thought. I didn't think you thought Jews (who actually believe in Judaism) went to heaven. Only if they're "Jews for Jesus." Jews who stay Jews (the overwhelming vast majority) are out.
I was just using jews as an example. To get into Heaven, you have to believe in Jesus. Simple.
Old 02-20-14, 03:07 PM   #517
Banned

Quote:
So, what I said doesn't happen ?
Old 02-20-14, 03:11 PM   #518
Banned

Quote:
Yes, they do. Like most things, you just don't get it. A perfect being CANNOT CHANGE, it is perfect, if it COULD CHANGE, it would change to something OTHER THAN PERFECTION.
I agree with everything you just said. GOD is perfect. He can do whatever he wants. If He wanted to switch things around so that water was where the sky is, He could do it. But He doesn't. Once GOD sets things in motion, they stay that way. As I said, the rules are the rules and they don't change. If GOD couldn't do something, then He'd be imperfect.

The key word here is "being." GOD isn't a being. He's GOD. He's different than anything else in the universe. Special. Like He said, He Is.
Old 02-20-14, 03:11 PM   #519
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
So, what I said doesn't happen ?
Catholics do not worship symbols, or Mary or any of the Saints. They pray to Mary as the mother of Jesus asking for her to intercede for them, but they do not worship her as a deity, they worship the same Trinity that you worship.
Old 02-20-14, 03:11 PM   #520
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
I don't hate on gay people.
Oh?

*edit to add: did i get shadowbanned too?*

Last edited by covenant; 02-20-14 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 03:12 PM   #521
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
You yourself have said that god changed the rules in the past when discussing the flood. Do you not remember this?
What's the quote ?
Old 02-20-14, 03:14 PM   #522

Quote:
So you admit the possibility of an invisible Leprechaun living inside Groucho's hat. You simply don't have reason to believe it. Well let me tell you that the invisible Leprechaun has revealed himself to me personally - I had a vision of him, and the headache I had departed immediately. Plus, 500 people have witness his revelation, and they speak the truth, so you can believe them. I also believe Groucho is writing a book that is dictated by the Leprechaun, it is his direct word, so you have to believe that.
Well first you have to get past the strong suggestion that you are just making this shit up to prove a point.

Beyond that, yes testimony by 500 people would make give me a more open mind to the possibility. I'm not convinced about UFOs, but when I hear stories like the dozens of people who saw a massive UFO in Stephenville TX, I am more willing to accept the possibility of alien beings.

Thirdly, there are many more points of evidence to support Christianity than mere personal testimony. Like documented cases of demonic activity for example.
Old 02-20-14, 03:14 PM   #523
Banned

Quote:
Catholics do not worship symbols, or Mary or any of the Saints. They pray to Mary as the mother of Jesus asking for her to intercede for them, but they do not worship her as a deity, they worship the same Trinity that you worship.
praying is worshiping. You don't have to get someone to intercede for you. That's what Jesus' sacrifice was all about. To give you the ability to go straight to GOD when you want to talk to Him. When did I say I worship a trinity...something that I don't believe in ? GOD is GOD. Jesus is Jesus. The so called Holy Spirit isn't a person. It's GOD's power and the effect it has on the universe. Three separate things.
Old 02-20-14, 03:15 PM   #524
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
No, it isn't. Nor does it.

Use ghosts as an example. Or ESP. Or any other phenomena that would violate the known laws of our world, laws that have never been shown to have been violated.
Agreed.

The truth of all things is not equal. There's things that fly in the face of logic, reason, and evidence, and there's not.

This is false parity.

Not all things are equally likely.

It's not that a God is possible, just like no-God.

It's like saying, well, Dragons either exist or don't exist. So each could be true. It lies on the folks making extraordinary claims to back them up, at least if they expect us to do anything about them.

Otherwise we should all be hanging garlic in the Windows to repel vampires, worrying about mischievous Leprechauns, and offering sacrifices to the Roman deities.

You have to go with the basic assumption that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. At least insofar as making decisions about your life, or laws & rules of society.

Otherwise why aren't we mandating laws requiring everyone hangs garlic in their homes, after all, vampires are much more dangerous than fires! They should be required equipment, just like smoke detectors!
Old 02-20-14, 03:18 PM   #525
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Spottedfeather's signature:

Quote:
Thank you for disrespecting me when I have not and never would do that to you. Guess that whole treat people the way you want to be treated thing is crap ?

- David French