Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Dead dove. Do not eat! [Formerly Gay Marriage]

Old 01-22-14, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dead dove. Do not eat! [Formerly Gay Marriage]

Mod Note: Moved the most recent bunch of off topic posts from the Same Sex Marriage 2018 thread here, which is intended, and will be maintained as, a fact based discussion on the reality of same sex marriage legalities. This thread is for pretty much everything else, including the usual bickering and condemnation.

However, posts that are nothing but rehash of barbs and personal attacks won't be tolerated, from either side.

Thank You,

Pharoh

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Yup. Between that and the whole flap about trying to make sure same sex partners are banned from receiving any type of benefits, it's just a big ol hateful FU to gays. There really is no other rational explanation other than pure hatred. Coming from people who purport to be 'loving Christians'. I love this state, lived here my whole life, but the level of spite and hatred some of its citizens and leaders have shown on this issue has made me think about leaving for the first time in my life.
Then fucking move.

Last edited by Pharoh; 01-22-14 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Same Sex Marriage: 2018

A Michigan man don't need you around, anyhow.
Old 01-22-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Then fucking move.
Welcome back. Things are a little dull without you.
Old 01-22-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Then fucking move.
Spoken like a true xian.
Old 01-22-14, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Welcome back. Things are a little dull without you.
Funny how threads die quickly when I leave. Proof that there is NO desire for real discussion here unless it is completely one sided.
Old 01-22-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Funny how threads die quickly when I leave. Proof that there is NO desire for real discussion here unless it is completely one sided.

Yes, that's what it proves.
Old 01-22-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yikes.

I have a gay friend who is married. He held the ceremony in Iowa because that's where he's from and they planned it before it became legal here in Minnesota. He made the comment the other day that when filling out his TurboTax, it drew a distinction between "marriage" and "same sex marriage". While he's realistic enough to know the battle isn't over, he was a little down that his marriage wasn't just a "marriage".

The only people who seem to be in favor of the whole "separate but equal" compromise to this issue never seem to be the ones who'd actually have to deal with it. He didn't make a huge issue about it, but I felt bad for him. My marriage has never been singled out or called into question. I can't imagine what that must feel like and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Old 01-22-14, 10:29 AM

I can understand why Turbo Tax asks that, because for many couples their marriage is recognized at the federal level, but not at the state level.
Old 01-22-14, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Then fucking move.
Hope you're happy with that solution when gay marriage is legalized in your state, one way or another.
Old 01-22-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I can understand why Turbo Tax asks that, because for many couples their marriage is recognized at the federal level, but not at the state level.
He understands that too, just one of those random things that comes up that you might not think about. I'm sure many will say "big deal" but again, I doubt they have to deal with it happening to them.
Old 01-22-14, 11:35 AM

Then fucking move.
Nope. I decided to stay and fight. And guess what? My side is winning....all hail the great Satan!

Old 01-22-14, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Nope. I decided to stay and fight. And guess what? My side is winning....all hail the great Satan!

Only if you consider forcing a law against the will of the people to be winning. You know I wouldn't move to a Buddhist country and demand that they change their culture and beliefs. I would either respect them or move elsewhere.
Old 01-22-14, 11:45 AM

Since the "will of the people" is rapidly growing in favor of same-sex marriage (even here in Utah the split is about 50/50), I guess we're all in agreement.

/thread
Old 01-22-14, 12:02 PM

Since the "will of the people" is rapidly growing in favor of same-sex marriage (even here in Utah the split is about 50/50), I guess we're all in agreement.

/thread
The only rapid growth is in highly liberal states where religion doesn't play much of a role. No surprise there. Besides, I was referring to the fine people of Oklahoma here.
Old 01-22-14, 12:05 PM

The only rapid growth is in highly liberal states where religion doesn't play much of a role.
I guess Utah meets that profile. Who knew?
Old 01-22-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If he doesn't consider Catholics real Christians, I can only imagine his opinion of Mormons.
Old 01-22-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only if you consider forcing a law against the will of the people to be winning. You know I wouldn't move to a Buddhist country and demand that they change their culture and beliefs. I would either respect them or move elsewhere.
Though he's ignored me, does he actually believe the majority should rule? I wonder if he's every faced any sort of discrimination at any point in his life.
Old 01-22-14, 12:28 PM

50/50 isn't a majority. I find that stat hard to believe since the Mormon church does not support SSM at all.
Old 01-22-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Though he's ignored me, does he actually believe the majority should rule? I wonder if he's every faced any sort of discrimination at any point in his life.
"Majority rules" sounds good. It's not always the case however. Often times the majority does not rule.
Old 01-22-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you implying that the United States is a Christian country?
Old 01-22-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
"Majority rules" sounds good. It's not always the case however. Often time the majority does not rule.
Majority rules only sounds good if you're in the majority. Since we're less than 48 hours removed from Martin Luther King Day, this shouldn't be something that needs to be pointed out, but I guess it does.
Old 01-22-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Are you implying that the United States is a Christian country?
Is it?
Old 01-22-14, 12:32 PM

Doesn't sound even 50/50 to me according to this site:

SALT LAKE CITY — A majority of Utahns do not support same-sex marriage, believe the decision on marriage should rest with individual states, and say if gay marriage were legal, Utah should pass laws to protect places of worship from having to perform weddings for gay and lesbian couples.

But a new Deseret News/KSL poll also shows that attitudes have changed in the state during the past 10 years, fueled by younger people and an influx of new residents creating an increasingly diverse population, which follows national trends that show generational disparity in attitudes for or against gay marriage.

The poll found 57 percent of residents oppose same-sex marriage, while 36 percent support it and 6 percent are undecided, according to the survey conducted by longtime pollster Dan Jones & Associates/Cicero Group on Jan. 14-16. It has a plus or minus 3.6 percent margin of error.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...to-decide.html
Old 01-22-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Is it?
As stated in the Treaty of Tripoli, unanimously ratified by the Senate and signed by President John Adams in 1797:

[T]he Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Old 01-22-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
As stated in the Treaty of Tripoli, unanimously ratified by the Senate and signed by President John Adams in 1797:

[T]he Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
John knew what he's talking about - didn't he?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.